SYKES Reviews

Updated 24 October 2014
2.2

SYKES President, CEO, and Director Chuck Sykes
Chuck Sykes

Pros
  • Sykes work from home cares for it's Employee's a great deal in many ways (in 27 reviews)

• This company creates a work environment where you want to do your best and then some for the team and the company (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • It's a fairly typical call center: a lot of people have bad attitudes and the supervisors are masochistic (in 12 reviews)

• Company events that focus more on drinking by and with upper management (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Aweful

I have been working at SYKES

Pros

I work in malvern. Nothing good. This company is the worst. For the love of god don't do it.

Cons

No respect. No one follows through with what the say. Really bad upper management.

Get you stuff together

Sucks

Former Employee - Customer Service in Lakeland, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Lakeland, FL (US)

I worked at SYKES full-time (more than an year)

Pros

there are none this is like the worst company ever

Cons

they steal money out of your pay checks

get it together

Shocking Abuse of Employees

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in La Canada, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in La Canada, CA (US)

I have been working at SYKES full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Health benefits (which you pay for) working from home

Cons

Ignorant, power mad and tyrannical supervisors, who dish out verbal warnings on a daily basis. Really crap systems which go down several times per day (2003 server) . Lack of professional management, don't tell you about shift bids then schedule you to work during your vacation and NEV ER EVER one word of apology when they screw up . Just tell you it is somehow your fault. This company should be called The Matrix, you are left in doubt that you are just a POS to them. Human rights abused every day. No respect at all for the people who are making them money

Please remember that the people you are bullying and harassing over minor infringements, like a warnings for being a couple of minutes over your break time are the same people who, on the same day, work maybe 20 minutes after midnight shift ends to resolve customer issues, like true professionals. Please remember when an agent screws up it is morally wrong to deny a credit especially if that mistake costs a customer several hundred of dollars. If Rogers find out you will be getting the company into big trouble and this is called theft which is illegal in this country. Because of the ridiculous pace of change in plans for their customers, and when 4 different supervisors give 4 different resolutions to your problems, it is really not acceptable to ding agents with a verbal warning when the supervisory level itself is totally confused....how do you think we feel? Are you not aware how this engenders such negativity among agents. Instead of communication through chat on an ad hoc basis when at least 1/7th of agents are off work, why not aspire to an intelligent form of communication, like emails so we can actually be reliably informed about what we are supposed to be doing before we actually receive warnings for failing to do it. Oh yes and when I have been informed that I have been given approval for a vacation week, please do not then inform me by posting a schedule for me to work the week before the vacation; and when I query it, THEN proceed to tell me it is not approved. In our business this is known as BS and this company is drowning in it.. Corporate structure is kept tightly under wraps so you never know who to turn to when you are being bounced around (that is why they do it). Finally the decision makers in this company are rank amateurs who don't know how to deal with people, communicate effectively, negotiate fairly. They only know how to manipulate and brainwash, because they themselves are lap dogs doing the dirty on agents for a career move, whilst selling their souls in the process. In a career spanning over 40 years I have pages and pages of excellent references and recommendations, have worked in senior management and got outstanding reviews from my clients, I have ALWAYS been treated with respect. Even with this company I have a high 90's customer satisfaction rate. However, I would not recommend my worst enemy to work for this company and I would recommend any and all my fellow worker to seek legal advice (plenty of no win no fee lawyers out there) to sue this company for shocking abuses and practices (which they always blame on their client ...which is even more BS). Apart from health benefits I would mark Sykes at -5 in all areas however I doubt they have minus scale in this survey. So many new agents (under 6 months) out on stress leave it is so bad and they use a lot of disabled and rural employees as they have little employment options, thereby enabling them to abuse them more. Sykes will not recruit in Ontario any more as they have to pay 12.10 per hour for home based agents in this province. So now they are recruiting on the west coast (where I am sure they will be taking advantage of temporary foreign workers).. So be warned they copy the friendly welcoming behaviors of other more reputable companies but once you have hit 4-6 months then they start trying to brainwash and abuse you. Stand up for yourself and give back as good a you get, otherwise working for thee morons will destroy your confidence and make you physically sick, like they have done to so many good people. .As for me, I am outta here EI or no EI, nothing is worth this kind of life with Sykes, free to rebuild a career and reputation without these corporate leec hes sucking out your lifes blood. Sad that they are even allowed to operate in a country like Canada. Hope this gives you the full picture about this company.

Run AWAY!!

I worked at SYKES full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Can't think of any...Oh, the Bathrooms were clean.

Cons

Terrible hours/pay with no negotiation. Terrible treatment by supervisors in a pass-the-buck environment. A Place filled with empty promises to advance, but what they fail to mention is that advancement only comes to those on the good ole' boys system...oh, and also without a raise.

tear it down and start over.

Forget about Sykes. There are plenty of better companies to work for in Budapest.

Former Employee - Anonymous in Budapest (Hungary)
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Budapest (Hungary)

I worked at SYKES full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Regular working schedule on normal hours.

Cons

- Very few possibilities to actually do your job in helping the customers due to the very restrictive company policy, which at the same time lacks transparency, leading to employees being able to provide nothing more than lip-service to the clients.
    - Lack of true leadership who dare to defend those workers who are in a vulnerable position, in case of an uneven conflict, harassment or bullying.
    - No chances for advancement.
    - Wages are a laugh in relation to the stress level one has to put up with (two people doing the job of five).
    - No recognition of and use for ones talents, nor any appreciation for the efforts one puts in, unless one belongs to the manager's board's favourites.
    - Favouritism.

- Built a service structure in which we actually can do our job helping the customers.
    -See the qualities and appreciate the efforts of EVERY employee EQUALLY, and not just of those you "like" for superficial reasons of status, appearance or "sociability".
    -Pay the employees at the lowest stratum of the hierarchy more wage, when they need to do almost double work due to teams being understaffed.
    -Take action when employees get bullied or harrassed by their direct superiors.

If you have no life

I have been working at SYKES

Pros

The benifits are a great price

Cons

They do not ask and do not care about your schedule. Ex. Childcare or continuing your education

You are only allowed 4 days off every six months and if you want more days it is up to multiple people and if you meet their goals to get days off.

They want you to provide great customer care, but wheb your issues need resolved they tell you to call a number no one answers.

Ask people their availability before hiring.

Underpaid for amount of work and training does not prepare for over half live calls

Former Employee - Customer Service Agent in Lakeland, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Agent in Lakeland, FL (US)

I worked at SYKES full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Hiring process was long but welcoming pre-employment team is great! Team leads are awesome and very helpful as well.

Cons

Training was not satisfactory, spent majority of the time reading articles ver-batim and not enough hands on training, listening to calls and watching use of tools. Not enough pay for the demanding calls and all of the resources necessary.

Most of the pre-employment and leadership is great! The training however was long yet not helpful at all when applied to live calls. Instead of practicing live calls and using our tools we spent most of our time reading articles. Time would have been better spent listening to live calls and watching pro agents use their tools and resources properly during calls.

Started well, going down hill

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Peterborough, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Peterborough, ON (Canada)

I have been working at SYKES full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The health Benefits with Blue Cross, most of your co-workers are awesome but thats all that can really be said.

Cons

When I started you made more then minimum wage and got raises, now the wages have frozen and your making the minimum which isn't enough to live off. If you can get customers to purchase new services you can get a bonus... but don't expect it to be paid out to you for over 6 months. Good luck getting the extra dollar for your schedule adherence because there will always be something that throws it off.

Your scheduled hours will fluctuate even if your shift claims to be fixed hours and they are unwilling to work with your needs if you have no vehicle causing some employees to walk home at midnight on an hour + walk no matter if you have health concerns, are male or female (even if pregnant). Do NOT expect to have any help.

They don't care that it's a non-scent environment, if you are allergic you better be prepared to loose hours that they will not reimburse you for and will count against you and not do anything against those that violate the scent policy even if it forces co-workers to go to the hospital.

They require you to do over 20 things on one call which most customers have absolutely no interest in allowing you to do and you can be penalized even if you do everything right because the customer didn't like how you did it.

Endless company jargon with no importance that they require you to spout back t them at every meeting.

Oh and the blue cross benefits are not helpful in most cases as most places require you to pay for the services first as the health care professionals (glasses, etc) do not take the benefits upfront.

Give back the raises, be more flexible with employees schedules and pay more then minimum wage if your going to stress your reps out.

msr

I have been working at SYKES

Pros

8 wks course so it gives you time to learn the software used and they test once a week to make sure you are learning the material.

Cons

The benefits are not as affordable as expected especially when the pay is pretty low already.

Do not overlook the ones that work hard to do their job right.

Former Employee - Deposits in Wise, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Deposits in Wise, VA (US)

I worked at SYKES full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people that work there are great most of the time. They really care for each other. Very involved in fund raisers to help cancer, diabetes etc.

Cons

Insurance was not that good.

More advancements would be good.