SYKES

SYKES Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

SYKES President, CEO, and Director Chuck Sykes

Chuck Sykes

Pros
  • Work from home opportunity that allows some flexibility (in 19 reviews)

• great benefits, gives consideration to undergraduates,good BPO company for starters, good working environment (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • It's a fairly typical call center: a lot of people have bad attitudes and the supervisors are masochistic (in 11 reviews)

• Team managers are selected due to their stats, very poor management (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

slave wages

CSP (Current Employee) Denver, CO (US)

Prosworking from home does save some money

Consindifferent management and high turnover

Advice to Senior Managementraise salaries

DO NOT PUT YOURSELF THROUGH THIS EXPERIENCE

Customer Service Agent (Current Employee) Lakeland, FL (US)

ProsNot much to say here. This company is a joke and a rip off to AT&T. The only pro I can thing of is it's a job but you're better off working at a fast food restaurant.

ConsAT&T must have a ton of money to throw away. If I were in corporate with AT&T I would wonder why I am paying Sykes $20,000 per employee. It's more that obvious that Sykes takes advantage of this agreement with it's extremely poor training and laughable management. This company has a revolving door when it comes to it's employees. Hired one day simply because they passed the mirror test (if the mirror fogs up you're breathing and hired) then fired after training because they don't have a clue as to what they are doing. How does this make sense to anyone with a brain?

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a good hard look at your training. Hire trainers that know how to spell and speak proper English.

The people you work with are your only incentive.

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Lakeland, FL (US)

ProsSteady paycheck, competition, flexible shifts

ConsOutdated equipment, unfriendly front office, disgusting bathrooms, no appreciation

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice is to spend a week as a CSR or Team Manager to really understand your employees. You have no idea.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Leadership

Technical Trainer (Current Employee) Fayetteville, NC (US)

ProsOpportunities, friendly environment, good location

ConsMiscommunication, contradicted policies, organization and schedules

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication is one of the important keys for success.

Positive, but not paid enough.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Tampa, FL (US)

ProsFlexible work environment. Exceptional leadership.

ConsThe pay isn't commensurate with the job requirements.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the salary caps, promote faster, reward success and punish failure.

stressed and overstressed

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Lakeland, FL (US)

ProsA paycheck every two weeks is honestly about it. Fellow co-workers were great too.

ConsPoor management on site (most direct Team Managers were OK depending on who you had). Too much focus on stats and goals - to the point where even as a top agent well above stat goals I was getting hounded and stressed. Constant threat of being terminated. It got to the point that the threat was a big whatever because you began hoping they would term you. Changes darn near daily so it was next to impossible to keep all details correct. They promise ample opportunity to move into other positions - but if you don't know people higher up you are screwed and expect to be on that phone till the day you are fired or quit.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop promising promotions to good agents and never doing it. Try and gain some consistency - it makes it easier for the employees (and hell, it makes them happier too!).

Bad memories

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) London, ON (Canada)

ProsGood for unexperienced or unemployed, easy to get a job.

ConsVery stressful and demanding job.

Misleading, Inconsistant, Disorganized.

Customer Service Agent (Current Employee) Eugene, OR (US)

ProsThe job itself would not be so bad if agents were not constantly being brow beaten. Fellow employees are good to work with for the most part.

ConsThis job is represented as a Customer Service Agent position and never during the hiring process is it mentioned that sales would be involved let alone be the major focus. Agents are constantly being hovered over and threatened with losing their job if they do not sell a product that most agents know nothing about because the training is deficient. Agents are held accountable for the performance of anyone else who has come in contact with the customer. A customer can rate an individual agent at 100% but if the customer is dissatisfied with the company as a whole, the agent is penalized. Being rated an 8 out of ten is not a good score according to Sykes. Really? I could graduate medical school and become a surgeon with an 80% but, that is not good enough for a $10/hour job. Consistancy is non-existant. In training you are taught one thing, once you get into production, everything changes. One Team Manager tells you what to do and another tells you something completely opposite. I have never once had a day when all the systems needed to do the job (over 15 by the way) were working properly. If you like being told every single day that you are not good enough, take this job. Otherwise I would not recommend it. It will destroy your self confidence and morale. As for the customers of the client that Sykes works for, if you want a chance to voice your opinion in a survey, make sure you don't let on that you are unhappy in any way or Sykes will make sure you don't get a survey. Shady? You decide.

Advice to Senior ManagementRepresent the position for what it is. It is a SALES position. NOT a customer service position. Do an engagement survey of your employees. Walk around the call center and look at the faces of the people on the phones. Do they look happy?

No recommendations!!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Fayetteville, NC (US)

ProsIt's a job.
    Beats minimum wage

ConsThey "Say" moving up within the company is one is Sykes good qualities. This is not the case at Fayetteville 1.
    Lack of communication.
    Horrible attendance policy.... "what type of job doesn't accept doctors notes"
    Horrible Interview process
    This place is so unorganized
    It's a disgrace to call centers everywhere
    They hire anyone off the streets.!

Advice to Senior ManagementVisit the site and obtain employee feedback. I'm sure not all Sykes sites operate like this one.

Nightmare. The worst mistake I ever did was taking a job at this company

Customer Service Agent (Current Employee) Lakeland, FL (US)

ProsBi Weekly Pay. Sorry to report this is the only Pro, I can think of.

ConsPay Checks are often shorted and bonus monies promised are never paid. Very few reps get 40 hours, many are given as little as 8 per week.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean House. A fresh start is always a good thing.

Worked for SYKES? Contribute to the Community!