SYKES

Updated 16 December 2014
2.2

SYKES President, CEO, and Director Chuck Sykes
Chuck Sykes

Pros
  • Sykes work from home cares for it's Employee's a great deal in many ways (in 28 reviews)

• This company creates a work environment where you want to do your best and then some for the team and the company (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • I've never worked in a more horrible call center (in 13 reviews)

• Company events that focus more on drinking by and with upper management (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Terrible

I have been working at SYKES

Pros

There are no pros to this job.

Cons

This is a thankless job. Dealing with people and there horrible attitudes is no fun especially if you are not a people person.

Miserable backstabbing production support department.

Current Employee - Production Support in Tampa, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Production Support in Tampa, FL (US)

I have been working at SYKES full-time (less than an year)

Pros

None. Not one thing that would have kept me there.

Cons

Backstabbing, politics, one upping, management that ignores problems. They do not care about your health or the hours they make you work.

Your middle management in IT needs to be replaced.

Great opportunity to get real customer service experience

Current Employee - Sykes Team Manager in Milton-Freewater, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Sykes Team Manager in Milton-Freewater, OR (US)

I have been working at SYKES full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunities for advancement if you are willing to chase them. Performance focused environment that really strives to provide the best opportunity for the agents to excel and develop.

Cons

Difficult to get time for personal problems. Sketchy tracking of metrics that are used to evaluate agent performance.

Mediocre at Best

Former Employee - Minion in Lakeland, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Minion in Lakeland, FL (US)

I worked at SYKES full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very few pros - Location
    Experience gained

Cons

I could write a book about all of the cons!!! Decisions made based on perceptions, feelings, gossip, and "noise" not made with facts, forethought, or sound judgement.

Get or together and stop letting great talent get away. Your teams and coworkers don't trust you.

Never again

Former Employee - Bilingual Customer Service Representative in Rosario, Santa Fe (Argentina)

I worked at SYKES full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pros? What's that at Sykes?

Cons

The corporate culture is based on intimidation and unfriendly manners. You won't learn much, there's basically no training and the leadership is nonexistent: your immediate superiors are basically there because they're somebody-more-superior's friend.

Go get some managerial qualifications and some ethics and then come back to business.

So so

Current Employee - IT Manager
    Current Employee - IT Manager

I have been working at SYKES full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great job for Customer Service reps who are looking for experience in the industry as well as people who want to advance their career. Sykes does promote from within so you can learn as much as you can from the various training and opportunities offered.

Cons

Once you reach management level, your job security if pretty much out the window. The company says they strive to promote from within etc. however, when people who have been with the company for a while reach a certain level and are seen as invaluable because of another company acquisition, they aren't considered important anymore regardless of how long they have been with the company.

So, if you do strive for management, know that once you get there, your time with Sykes is limited regardless of your performance because the "new" company will be considered the golden children until the next acquisition. Lay offs are the norm now for management. Who wants to work for a company like that? Not me, which is why I have my resume out.

Appreciate the people you have and stop making every new company you acquire and the people from that company the preferred ones. Treat everyone within the organization within respect and do a better job of communicating why all the lay offs happen.

Not bad if you can meet metrics and deal with Stress, but outsourcing cost me my job

Former Employee - TSR in Pikeville, KY (US)
    Former Employee - TSR in Pikeville, KY (US)

I worked at SYKES full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent Team Environment if you work FOR Sykes in their centers for the most part. Work at Home, I am not sure but based on what I have heard its completely different. You get to handle and fix issues for customers that can be satisfying in itself depending on the attitude of the customer.

Cons

Bad Calls or Customer contact can deter workers from wanting to do a good job. Meeting Metrics is more important than the Quality / Solution to the problem. Techs who meet Metrics regardless of whether or not the Customer is satisfied or problem resolved get rewarded, whereas the REAL Techs that fix the problems, that do not meet Metrics get penalized. This is NOT a good system to use. Whoever came up with this system needs to be tar and feathered. Pay is not that good in regards to the stress levels and overall work experience.

Advice to Company: Reward your Techs for 'fixing" the problems and providing a good customer service to the community. Metrics do not mean as much as you think and Customers care more about solutions than getting rushed off the phone. Last but not least, stop the outsourcing. You are sacrificing quality for quantity (US Citizens do not like to talk to non-English (coherent) speaking people for the most part. Your contributing to the decline of the economy in the USA. Stop being greedy and start helping your country / fellow Americans rather than hurting them.

My advice to Management: Treat your Team Members with respect in ALL situations. Work with them not against them and you will have better results. Difficult problems take time and consideration to fix. Stop penalizing your techs for trying to fix problems. Customers stay longer and spend more money with companies they feel are "trying" to help them. Pay your people more and they will do a better job and feel better about their self and the company they work for.

Great place to work!!

I worked at SYKES full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Positive environment! Continued mentoring and support throughout my career with Sykes. I really enjoyed my colleagues while working with Sykes. Sykes is a very large BPO...but it never felt too large, if you know what I mean. Chuck Sykes instills the sense of camaraderie...even though Sykes employees are 60K+ strong!

Cons

Don't really have any to share.

It's a great company so far..

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lakeland, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lakeland, FL (US)

I have been working at SYKES full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I had just moved to the Lakeland area when I got the job at Sykes about a week later. The training was organized and very knowledgable. The managers are nice and very helpful. Also, the front desk employee is very upbeat and sweet which keeps everyone in a positive attitude. I have been able to make friends in the area and also network and leave great impressions for future roles and possibilities.

Cons

The only bad thing I have to say about the company, well location is that we only had 2 weeks of training instead of the regular 7 weeks that they give Customer Service Agents coming in. It kind of rushed us out on the floor, but all in all we learned what we needed through the training and trial and error.

A chance for career growth would be nice as well as a mentor program for those who potentially want to grow within the company.

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Allentown, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Allentown, PA (US)

I have been working at SYKES full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fairly easy work. Nice working conditions. Building is in good shape as is the call floor. Other employees and managers are very nice and easy to work with.

Cons

Pay rate is low for the work we do.

Pay rate is way below other companies in the area.