Safeway

Updated Jul 20, 2014

2.8 1,020 reviews

Safeway CEO Robert Edwards

Robert Edwards

Pros
  • Safeway is one of the very few companies that gives you work / life balance which is rare these days(in 42 reviews)

• Nice people, they promote from within, offer good benefits for mgmt(in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay is below most retail mgmt, requires ALL of your time no work life balance(in 27 reviews)

• Upper management was unrealistic at times in their expectations given labor models(in 46 reviews)

1,020 Employee Reviews

Starter Job

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMeet new people and gain knowledge

ConsThe pay was not worth the work.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember to keep your employee's happy too.

Low pay, high stress.

Food Clerk (Current Employee) Fairfield, CA (US)

Pros-Nice co-workers
    -Was able to get a lot of hours (even though I was listed as part time I was getting forty hours a week)
    -Union
    -Can get a lot of experience
    -Good first job

Cons-Poor training
    -Low pay and hard to get pay raises
    -Bad management
    -A lot of demoralized workers

Advice to Senior ManagementSchedule more help and treat your current workers better.

Overworked, Underpaid, with Daily Harassment

Bookkeeper (Current Employee)

ProsThe Union sets rules that keep corporate/management from outright abusing their employees. We also get health benefits. A lot of co-workers make great friends and become "part of your family," in a way.

ConsWe work way too hard for too little pay. Managers frequently give terrible schedules, either cutting everyone's hours or flipping people's daily hours around so they have to keep changing their sleep schedule multiple times a week. Technology is outdated and frequently breaks or glitches, causing stress for both employees and customers. Safeway keeps pushing the whole "world class service" but makes it difficult for employees to deliver when there aren't enough people scheduled and all the customers are yelling at us because they have to wait in line. If customers become verbally abusive, management often solves the problem by giving them free stuff (and occasionally berating the employees). We are often given conflicting orders and get chewed out by someone no matter what we do. Morale is low and people frequently call in sick or quit.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's well known that management gets a bonus at the end of the year if they cut enough employee hours. I get that they want the money (we all do), but this is causing considerable harm to both the employees and the business itself.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Stressful.

ProsFlexible work schedules. There are some great people that work for Safeway.

ConsLow pay and high demands. Lack of courage of upper management to admit there are not enough hours to get the job done properly. Lack of courage from the leadership to be honest and straight forward with employees. They tell employees there are no plans to close stores because of the merger. They told us not long ago Albertsons, even after they were bought out, had a bleak future to now they have made such a miraculous turn around because they picked up a wash cloth and cleaned their stores in 2006.

Advice to Senior ManagementCourage isn't just being able to beat people down but admit when you are wrong. Stop the wasteful spending on store visits and reinvest those dollars into labor at ground zero. This not the year to allow people to justify their existence by visiting stores because it has never been more obvious than what is happening now.

Front End Manager

Front End Supervisor (Former Employee) Orange, CA (US)

ProsAdvancement opportunity, benefits and union

ConsRun the store but get paid like a cashier

Was great, not so sure with pending buyout

Prosdefinitely consider work-life balance, very flexible. Friendly co-workers

Consoffice culture--changed so that most all of IT are 'mobile workers'. no assigned desks, all hotel, remote two days a week (which isn't bad). so no personal effects, carry stuff back and forth. no real feeling that anyone cares if there or not. so to me, might as well work from home every day.

Advice to Senior Managementterrible sharing of information...

Learned a lot, but would not recommend

Deli Clerk (Former Employee) Oakland, CA (US)

Pros-potential to make a livable wage after you have put in a good amount of time in the company
    -paid vacation after one year with company
    -benefits for all employees
    -10% discount of Safeway brand products
    -great place to grow with the company if you don't plan on going to college
    -perhaps a great place to work while in college
    -tuition reimbursements

ConsManagement was very crude with the exception of a few managers. Managers (assistant managers not store manager) moved around so frequently that it was hard to establish a solid relationship with them. Managers were encouraged to take on an old school approach and were very dogmatic and not approachable when disciplining employees. Hours worked were inconsistent. They were quick to place employees in management positions without proper training leading to reduced sales, and low grade food safety audits. Moving up in the company is based on favoritism and not excellent work ethic, and outstanding customer service. Company culture is very strict yet can be family oriented if your working with the right people( generally this is the case in older stores). The moment a store gets remodeled, or is brand new, management becomes more strict and the little bit of fun that you once had goes out the window.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees like equals no matter what they do in the company. Everyone contributes to the company morale and prosperity. Be open to feedback.

Horrible place to work for a student

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPlenty of hours.
    1 hour lunch
    Supervisors make sure you get your break.

ConsHorrible management, no appreciation, no flexibility, suffocating, poorly trained staff, no employee discounts.

Okay.

Vons Starbucks Supervisor (Current Employee) Long Beach, CA (US)

ProsMake your own schedule, interact with cool people, some days are easy.

ConsCustomers, Too much paperwork, corporate visitors every few weeks, not enough pay for what we do.

Opportunities to grow with the company

Training Generalist (Former Employee) Denver, CO (US)

ProsGreat staff, leadership, career advancement opportunities, large operating area, opportunities to go back to school with financial help from the organization and diverse job opportunities.

Conscompensation, unwillingness to change and high pressure. Retail grocery is a tough industry with such limited ability to mark up products that affect the bottom line. You can be successful in this environment only if you are willing to put in the time and effort.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees as much as you can even though you may not be able to do anything about what they are requesting or need. Also, more emphasis on front end hours- although that is nothing new.

Worked for Safeway? Contribute to the Community!