Safeway Reviews

2.7
1,134 Reviews

Safeway CEO Robert Edwards
Robert Edwards

Pros
  • Safeway is one of the very few companies that gives you work / life balance which is rare these days (in 44 reviews)

• Nice people, they promote from within, offer good benefits for mgmt (in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay is below most retail mgmt, requires ALL of your time no work life balance (in 33 reviews)

• Upper management was unrealistic at times in their expectations given labor models (in 50 reviews)

More Highlights

You will never be good enough or reach the carrot

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Bellevue, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA (US)

I have been working at Safeway full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I love the people that I work with and have made lifelong friends due to working here for nearly 3 decades. The benefits for a union employee are unmatched in any other job you will find. $48 a month is a fraction of what it seems you pay everywhere else. This has to be weighed heavily against a wage that is below average as if definitely help even up the scale somewhat.

Cons

There is no loyalty from the corporate level. They will promote someone from the safety of the union into a backstage management position when they already know that position will be eliminated in a month or two. They do endless time studies to determine it takes a minimum of 10 hours to due a task and then only give you 8 hours to complete it and hold you accountable for not completing something that they have determined is impossible to actually do. They give you targets that are unattainable, bonus matrixes that are unachievable and take all decision making out of your hands but hold you accountable for the results of someone's from corporate's decisions that have probably never worked in a store. They have also whittled training down to almost nothing, but expect employees to miraculously be able to perform at a high level right away. Corporate makes poor decisions on a regular basis and refuses to listen to the cries of experienced employees that try to proactively prevent bad things from happening. Corporate makes decisions that often make no sense to store employees and cause the company to lose money, but then hold the store accountable for the inventory losses that their bad decisions have caused. The moral throughout the company is at an all time low and approaching a pending merger, no one feels safe. I would not recommend ANYONE attempt to work for Safeway until the dust settles form the merger as your job will not be secure at all.

Listen to your employees, the ones that actually work or regularly visit the stores. By allowing the gap between the minimum wage and a journeyman to get closer and not increase on an equal level, you have lost all incentive for anyone to strive to be a retail dept head. When there is so much responsibility and stress with no pay incentive as they make the same as someone who sands in the checkstand all day, why would they manage a dept.? We are losing all of our good employees because we ever allow them to feel like they are doing a good job or reward them for doing so. Case in point; planning retreat for all management and backstage 2 years in a row as a reward and team building, dropping $250k as a non refundable deposit on this retreat, and then canceling it 2 years in a row and telling your employees that they are not truly valued, only the stockholders are.

Company believes in employee growth and development. Keeps you challenged and encouraged to grow.

I have been working at Safeway full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

1. good pay
    2. flexible schedule
    3. strong focus on employee growth
    4. clear path for promotions
    5. strong benefit program.
    6. rank and file teams are very friendly.

Cons

1. fast paced environment where the job requirements change frequently.. Must be able to work long hours and holidays. Needs better work life balance

improve work life balance for management. since the buy out, the work environment has changed to a culture of always needing more from everyone.

A good place to get your first job

Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk and Checker  in  Woodinville, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk and Checker in Woodinville, WA (US)

I have been working at Safeway part-time for more than a year

Pros

Meeting new people and gaining experience needed for future jobs.

Cons

You have to join the union and sometimes you won't qualify for the benefits because you're either a students and already covered by your parents.

More ways to show appreciation towards employees.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Courtesy Clerk

Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk  in  Sacramento, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Sacramento, CA (US)

I have been working at Safeway part-time for less than a year

Pros

Discount, Union, 24 hour/week guaranteed, easy job

Cons

management, union, scheduling, lack of communication, customers suck, nepotism, favoritism, etc

Learn to motivate and set goals, make an appropriate schedule, set a better example

Working at Safeway backstage

Current Employee - Property Accounting/Lease Analysis  in  Pleasanton, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Property Accounting/Lease Analysis in Pleasanton, CA (US)

I have been working at Safeway full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Flexible with time (if exempt) for family emergencies and life/work balance. Stable environment in departments. Longevity is encouraged. Internal hiring is the norm along with promotions. Salary is comparative to market for backstage employees.

Cons

If the boss is a bully HR will do nothing about it unless you contact someone very high up in the company. Favoritism rules internal hiring and promotions. The office culture is separatist where managers cling to their positions while pushing subordinates away from their knowledge and expertise instead of embracing it.

I hope with the CEO continues his trend of making the environment warm and welcoming, as he started when he took over. Management could use an good I/O psychologist consultant to train them in how to positively influence people, instead of the normative transactional management approach.

I think of safeway as a dead end

Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk  in  Anchorage, AK (US)
    Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Anchorage, AK (US)

I worked at Safeway part-time for less than a year

Pros

Personal Growth, I am more outgoing. I had some of the highest customer service ratings at my store

Cons

The management was always negative, constantly talking about doing better better better, nothing was ever good enough, no accomplishment went uncritisized

Be nicer, cuss less, notice more accomplishments, be more hands on.

Management is everything

Former Employee - Customer Service  in  Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I worked at Safeway part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I worked their for four years starting as a courtesy clerk, to becoming a cashier, to working in produce, and finally working in customer service. They have a lot of different jobs to transition into, so you won't get too bored.

Cons

I personally don't like to be micromanaged. The first two years working their I had a management team that trusted me, and I always got the job done, and then some. The final two years working their was with a team that was big on micromanaging. This made work unpleasant.

Ask people how they would like to be managed.

Not Great

I have been working at Safeway part-time for less than a year

Pros

The hours are very flexible, and at least at my store most of the team is great. They're very friendly and helpful, and it's a good place to get experience in numerous positions. So far I have worked in five departments, and I have been there for about five months. If you work in a non-union store, you can pick up hours in various departments. You can apply for any promotion that is open, even at other stores.

Cons

First of all, you will not receive benefits until you have either worked for the company for two years or move up to management. (As such, I can't speak to the quality of the benefits.) You get a 10% discount on SAFEWAY BRANDS only. I do not, as an employee, feel valued here. They have, from what I understand, a significant profit margin because they run the place on a skeleton crew. Everyone in my store is working the job of at LEAST two people. This might be different at a union store? There is no guarantee on hours, unless you are management. (Most of the departments don't get nearly enough hours to begin with.)

Invest in your employees. There's a high turnover rate because there is nothing significant to offer to new employees. Most of the people working for Safeway have been there for less than two years or more than ten (because they were grandfathered into better benefits). Hire more people!!!

Good company.

I worked at Safeway part-time for more than a year

Pros

Supportive environment, good for scheduling.

Cons

Hard to move up unless you are older.

Fast paced - spinning MANY plates at the same time.

I have been working at Safeway

Pros

Never bored - always something to do - everyday is different from the previous day & never know what is coming your way

Cons

Hard to plan your day accordingly - labor is very tight

Need more hours

Worked for Safeway? Contribute to the Community!