Sage Hospitality

Updated 16 December 2014
Updated 16 December 2014
3.3

Walter L. Isenberg

Pros
  • This company really cares, and really values its employees (in 3 reviews)

• Great people, and great work environment (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Very low pay scale, management in constant turmoil, lack of any good leadership leading to much misbehavior from management on site (in 3 reviews)

• Lack of involvement by corporate management at the property-level (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great people - but something is missing

Former Employee - Global Office Associate in Denver, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Global Office Associate in Denver, CO (US)

I worked at Sage Hospitality full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I worked in the corporate office for > 5 yrs. I enjoyed my peers, the office, and interacting with the properties. I saw good intentions from nearly every person i interacted with in my office. We had a lot of fun and there was specific effort to create a relaxed atmosphere - including corporate office events, casual dress code, and community service work.

Cons

Senior leadership was lacking for years. There were big changes made in the corporate office over the last two years - but I did not have a chance to see if the move toward developing true leaders has started a much needed evolution.
    insurance premiums were cheap, but actual coverage was not good. Glad I had a flex spending account.

There are people in leadership positions simply because they have experience - not because they are knowledgeable about leading others. Experience does not make a leader. Experience also does not guarantee a person will be strategic, dynamic, or visionary - and those qualities are important to this company's goals. Keep the employees with experience, but consider not placing them in leadership positions. Handing out big titles, particularly "VP", simply because a person has been around a long time, is not a smart practice. Possessing blind loyalty can be a big mistake.
    You're all good business people - use facts and instincts versus "the good ol boy" approach. Best wishes..

Not too bad

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Sage Hospitality

Pros

Pay, good location, meet ok people from all over the place with different stories.

Cons

Management sometimes can run around like a chicken with their head cut off.

See above.

It's been good to me - Nines Hotel Location

Current Employee - Server in Portland, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Server in Portland, OR (US)

I have been working at Sage Hospitality full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fast Growing, awesome coworkers, full cafeteria, decent benefits, and solid upper management. Ive been here for a few years and all in all it has been my favorite Portland job.

Cons

I have bumped heads with a few of their policies but it isn't anything out of the ordinary for restaurants. Dont expect special treatment.

Choose supervisors a little more carefully.

Night Auditor

Current Employee - Night Audit in Denver, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Night Audit in Denver, CO (US)

I have been working at Sage Hospitality full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Networking, large company good way to grow if your a hard worker and understand how to use it. Good befits, average Pay

Cons

Just like with the pros, its a big company. It is very easy to get lost in the pack you have to fight for it. Systems are out dated limited budget for new tools.

Training for new hire's. Valuing current employees better, I hit my two year mark and no one said anything.

Solid Company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at Sage Hospitality full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

In a large market there are advancement opportunities. And in the industry one of the standard perks is the reduced room rates at properties across the company.

Cons

As with any job in the hospitality industry your work schedule is determined by factors outside of your control. There are "blackout" dates based on occupancy when you can't take leave or vacation. Once you understand and accept that it's okay.

No Value for Employee

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR (US)

I worked at Sage Hospitality full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Typical pro's of hospitality: discounts on food and lodging

Cons

Very low pay scale, management in constant turmoil, lack of any good leadership leading to much misbehavior from management on site.

Listen to employees, treat them better, offer more than just the typical hospitality perks and bring wages into the current brackets of pay for the industry.

Fantastic Organization!

I have been working at Sage Hospitality full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

This company believe in its values, which makes doing your job easy. Its exciting to be part of a company that continues to innovate and grow! I have been with them near 10 years and they have afforded me numerous opportunities and job promotions.

I love working for this company and highly recommend!

Cons

As with all companies, continued enhancement of communication is key.

Continue to support and operate within Sage values, it has served the organization well!

DO NOT work for this company

I have been working at Sage Hospitality full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They like to spend money, sometimes not in the right places. But nevertheless, is refreshing for a company to not even ask questions

Cons

By FAR and i meant it, the worst company I have ever worked for. Is really sad that a company with great potential never back up their employees. They have the worst management in placed, therefore, awful turn over with employees.
    Also, very small management company, making it impossible to grow with them.

Care for employees and fire the people you know are rottening the company

So far so good. let see what happens in years to come.

Current Employee - Food and Beverage Supervisor in Orlando, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Food and Beverage Supervisor in Orlando, FL (US)

I have been working at Sage Hospitality full-time (less than an year)

Pros

it has it's up and downs like any other company but all-in-all its a good place to work.

Cons

Honesty, the pay rate is pretty low. Definitely could be a better pay

Upper management at my hotel does the best job they can do with the money Sage allows them to spend.

Wonderful company that truly empowers its associates

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO (US)

I have been working at Sage Hospitality full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Sage Hospitality is an incredible, values based company. They believe their associates are the essential pieces toward their success. Sage hospitality offers competitive benefits, opportunities for growth, assuming you take responsibility for your professional development, and competitive salaries. This company really cares, and really values its employees.

Cons

There is a lack of communication from the top of corporate to the properties. Sometimes the properties feel in the dark especially regarding movement within.

Also, there is a lack of organization regarding many standards of operation.