Samsung Information Systems America

www.sisa.samsung.com

Samsung Information Systems America Reviews

Updated Jun 24, 2014
Samsung Information Systems America – San Jose – “Samsung Research America's Future Headquarters”

Daniel Eum

Pros
  • They're hiring good people, and they're challenging them to do great work(in 3 reviews)

• Good benefits, good salary and talent(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • This is a korean company within Silicon Valley - literally(in 3 reviews)

• fast-paced, it doesn't really feel like silicon-valley company(in 3 reviews)

Don't go there...

ProsThe only "pro" I could think of, the reason why most people stay more than a few weeks at Samsung, is the salary. So unless you're really bendable and could accept crazy work conditions in the name of that good salary, Samsung is not for you.

ConsEverything else... Catastrophic managers, completely broken HR, management by fear and secrecy, company spying on your email and all electronic communications, "colleagues" reporting to management everything you say, complete inability to have any impact on Samsung products or projects because non-Koreans cannot dare having any influence on Koreans, Koreans stealing your inventions or documents under their name.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange things and people. Hard. Harder. Including yourself.

Good place to learn about the mobile industry and the trends. Korea / US control issues and politics slows things down!

Product Manager (Current Employee) San Jose, CA (US)

ProsGreat working hours
    Decent salary and bonuses
    Access to devices
    Good overview of mobile industry and opportunity to talk to a lot of companies for collaboration

ConsHQ (Korea) still controls most things
    Leadership is not as strong and visionary as it should be
    Processes are broken with no clear roles and responsibilities as well as success metrics

Advice to Senior ManagementHire a visionary leader
    Reduce dependence on HQ for decision making

Good experience to learn hard work.

Product Manager (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA (US)

ProsGood benifits , good pto, name value

ConsWork hard. Lack of leadership. Nothing happens without direction from HQ

Advice to Senior ManagementhShould nderstand ulture difference between Usa and Korea

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Leadership Vacuum

Senior Director (Current Employee) San Jose, CA (US)

ProsRelatively high pay
    Brand name is considered important and successful
    Co-workers are very nice people

ConsThe planning function is ridiculous. There are a team of young Koreans who attempt to lead the organization on behalf of an almost absent President. This is not a global company. It is a Korean company that is attempting something far beyond its capabilities.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeadership is VERY important. The current President is essentially a manager. They also should stop getting rid of their successful leaders with strong personalities.

Unless you're ready to retire, don't work here

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Jose, CA (US)

Proscheap benefits
    great salary if you have a Masters of Phd from a top tier college (that's all they care about)

ConsVery Korean, if you can't conform, you will fail.
    Management doesn't take ownership and will throw you under the bus if given the chance.
    If you're not an engineer or UX designer, you will get paid pennies.
    No recognition for hard work, only brown noses prevail.
    Human Resources dept is HORRIBLE and corrupt, they continually break policy and would rather bury their head in the sand than deal with real issues head on.
    HQ in Korea run everything.
    Always in crisis mode.
    Turn over is about 33% of employees leave in less than a year.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of hiring people based of their education (paper status) and hiring on the spot, actually sit down and really see if the candidate you hire is worth the money you're going to pay. Give higher salaries to people who help run the company instead of only engineers and designers. Some interns make more than regular full time employees.

Top down

Manager (Current Employee) Richardson, TX (US)

ProsDescent salary, descent benefits, descent bonus

Cons30% overhead...in terms of reports,

Advice to Senior ManagementLet the us subsidaries have some autonomy

Change is coming

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Jose, CA (US)

ProsBeing that Samsung has its hands in a lot of pots, you get some nice employee discounts, though not as many as I would have hoped. My management chain has been nothing but awesome, they made sure I have everything I wanted to be able to get my job done. The teams get together regularly and have mixers as well as other team events. The best part is our game room that has everything you could want to blow off some steam, or just to waste time. Medical benefits are top notch. Aeron chairs for everyone!

ConsIt is a satellite branch of a larger company, so there isn't any escaping the dynamics of HQ vs the other guys. I have heard horror stories, but I see things changing everyday. Teams are budgeting for team snacks, as well as other goodies, but corporate should be providing these, not just individual teams.

Advice to Senior ManagementEase up on the tech lock down, and make the facilities look and feel more fun. The culture is shifting, but not as fast as employees would like to see. It would be nice if we could get discounts on everything Samsung makes instead of a few products from each family of products. Having a physical corporate store would help with company pride.

Feel the Samsung magic, get transformed, euphoric ...

Staff Software Engineer (Former Employee) San Jose, CA (US)

ProsYou get to work with the emerging technologies that are yet to hit US market !

ConsSeoul, HQ managed operations as a cost center

Advice to Senior Management?

Solid company

Pros-Great/laid-back people, including management/leadership
    -Great benefits for full-time employees
    -A lot of opportunity for growth/training
    -Get to work with new technologies/ start-up R&D atmosphere
    -Occasional fun events

Cons-Could offer more fun culture
    -There can be little work-life balance in certain teams/management (depends)

Excellent intern experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood company, a lot to learn

ConsDallas is too hot in Summer

Worked for Samsung Information Systems America? Contribute to the Community!