San Jose State

San Jose State Reviews

Updated Apr 11, 2014

San Jose State President Mohammad Qayoumi

Mohammad Qayoumi

Pros:
  • "Decent salaries (for state work) good benefits, an improving HR team, a bright future"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Great Benefits and fun environment to work"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "Budget cuts made it difficult to do anything"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Low pay compared with other Silicon Valley industries(even compared to other educational institutions like k-12 and community colleges)"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Wonderful

Student Assistant (Current Employee)

ProsGreat management
Easy advancement
Great co-workers
Useful Skills.

ConsLack of hours for construction.

A primer California State University but still bureaucracy

Senior Web Coordinatoor (Current Employee)

I have been working at San Jose State part-time for less than a year

ProsA well intentioned university that constantly strives for student success. The structure of the University truly provides a large quantity of services within a single organization. Services like, housing, transportation, events, academics, health, finance and the list goes on.

ConsThe delivery of services by San Jose State University lacks a bit to be desired. The University pitches itself a being as college of everyone, no matter the need (culturally, academically, financially, socially, etc.) but tends to be "reactive" rather than "active" in it's approach. Fundamentally the University is driven by student enrollment and isn't accountable for much else. Hence the ernest from SJSU management is mostly on advertising rather then actively delivering quality services to students. This has a negative affect on both students and faculty.

Advice to Senior ManagementI know business of California State Universities (and it is business) is a difficult one yet a business can't succeed on advertising alone. Every organization must understand there systems and sub-departments on every level and make sure there all addressing the needs of customers (students) given the current market. In our global economy, organizations have to innovate at every level in order to stay competitive.

Overall its good

Student Research Assistant (Current Employee)

I have been working at San Jose State part-time for less than a year

ProsEasy job learned a lot

Conspay is not good

fun job

I have been working at San Jose State

ProsFriendly co-workers and the work isn't that hard

ConsWork can be pretty repetitive and boring. Sometimes, management runs out of work for you to do.

Great

I have been working at San Jose State

ProsWork around your school schedule

ConsWork where you live. No privacy

It was challenging, motivating, and kept me on my toes.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at San Jose State

Prosone to one communication, personal growth

ConsStrong personalities clash, spoke down upon through other departments,

Great Audio-Visual tech experience

Event Supervisor (Current Employee)

I have been working at San Jose State part-time for more than a year

Pros- Deal with actual clients and learn customer service

Cons- You get paid only upto the time you've worked. Even if you finished your job earlier.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice needed. Going good.!

Great place to learn and grow.

I have been working at San Jose State

ProsGreat faculty and amazing new Library with plenty of entertainment options and student growth opportunities.

ConsSome of the buildings were built 5 years ago and are in dire need of repair/ remodeling. The University does not receive the respect it deserves due to lack of funding and under performing students.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn vest more in sustainable rehabilitation in your building facilities. As a Silicon Valley institution, it needs to be state of the art and more high tech.

It helps pay for tuition...

Teaching Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at San Jose State part-time for more than a year

ProsI've worked as a graduate assistant (less pay) and a teaching associate (tuition waiver and a few employee benefits); the positions have some built-in support and give you direct experience with teaching undergraduates at SJSU. You also get to work closely with professors and some of your peers, and it looks good on your resume if you're moving on to a PhD or if you'll be teaching after you graduate. Teaching associates also tend to get their desired class times and days and have the freedom to plan their own lessons/syllabus (as long as it fits university requirements).

ConsBureaucratic system often makes things harder than they need to be; the classroom technology often doesn't work, and sometimes the classroom doesn't have a projector at all. Students at SJSU tend to care less about their education and more about finishing the degree in order to find a better job; it is a commuter campus.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper level administration needs a complete re-vamp to reduce corruption and increase accountability to the students and the professors/lecturers/staff. If they return the focus to delivering the best education possible to the students, instead of on pocketing the most profits, we might have a reason to be proud of the university.

Just an average work place

Parking Officer II (Current Employee)

I have been working at San Jose State full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe fringe benefits are just outstanding. No comparison

ConsNot enough opportunities for advancement

Worked for San Jose State? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at San Jose State reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for San Jose State CEO Mohammad Qayoumi. All 104 reviews are posted anonymously by San Jose State employees.