San Jose State Reviews

Updated 18 August 2014

3.7

San Jose State President Mohammad Qayoumi
Mohammad Qayoumi

Pros
  • Decent salaries (for state work) good benefits, an improving HR team, a bright future (in 5 reviews)

• Great Benefits and fun environment to work (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • The budget cuts from the government is downside that keeps the university from growing to its fullest (in 5 reviews)

• Low pay compared with other Silicon Valley industries(even compared to other educational institutions like k-12 and community colleges) (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

University Housing Services

Former Employee - Housing Services  in  San Jose, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Housing Services in San Jose, CA (US)

I worked at San Jose State full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The best thing about working here is the one on one contact with students.

Cons

The leadership is horrible. It's a very dysfunctional department and has been for many years. You'd be lucky if you were ever treated with respect and kindness from any one of your upper management leaders - and most of your co-workers. It's very prison like, if that makes sense. Move on, and find somewhere else to work. You will not be happy here.

Be nice to people and stop promoting a culture of separatism , negativity and hatred. The overall morale here has been fractured for several years, and no one has done anything to try and fix that. It' s department that allows it's managers to be rude and excessively controlling (read micro management) at will.

Graduate Assistant

Former Employee - Graduate Assistant  in  San Jose, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Graduate Assistant in San Jose, CA (US)

I worked at San Jose State part-time for more than a year

Pros

This was a remote position so it was pretty flexible. It connected me to the faculty of the department in which I was studying which proved useful later.

Cons

As a remote position, I felt disconnected from the task at hand, from other assistants, and from my manager. The pay was just a few dollars above minimum wage. The manager was honest when they said they considered the graduate assistants as mules, useful for just the work they provide. This manager was not interested in the GAs' growth.

Smaller campus.

I have been working at San Jose State

Pros

Teachers are hit or miss, same goes for the programs available.

Cons

Most students are commuters, less social life.

Stop cutting classes so the students can actually graduate on time.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Friendly atmosphere.

Former Employee - Technical Services Assistant  in  San Jose, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Technical Services Assistant in San Jose, CA (US)

I worked at San Jose State part-time for more than a year

Pros

The people were really a joy to work with. There were little lunch-time parties often, walks to the farmers market, and bring-in-baked-goods days. I could let me boss know if something really interested me, or if my work was alternately too boring. They would try to mix it up so everything got done without anyone feeling like a drone.

Cons

Some of the work an be really tedious. A lot of organizing, stamping, filing, scanning.

San Jose State has good work ethic, active creative pursuit, and endless technological opportunities.

Current Employee - Associate Professor  in  San Jose, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Associate Professor in San Jose, CA (US)

I have been working at San Jose State part-time for more than a year

Pros

I've been here as student, faculty, and staff. The community is very hard working. A large amount of work gets done by a small amount of hands. This is due to the nature of networking in which San Jose State thrives on. Friendly, dedicated, and passionate about their work. I enjoy living and exploring downtown San Jose as well.

Cons

It is a California State school. We are going through budget crisis as well as understaffed faculty. The negatives are more towards the cal state system rather than the school itself. I think most public schools are in a similar fashion. Upper administration I only hear of and in concern to being understaffed and not compensated for their endless efforts. This is also a large reflection of our educational system in general.

There really isn't much transparency between the upper administration and department administration. The turnover time between requests makes projects unrealistic.

great

Current Employee - Intern  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Intern in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at San Jose State as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Excellent management team that cares about developing and encouraging young talent.

Cons

challenging to provide services to a large number of students

Good for a new professional, but tough to gain upper management experience and pay.

Current Employee - Academic Advisor
    Current Employee - Academic Advisor

I have been working at San Jose State full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good place for a new professional to gain experience.

Cons

Very little room to move up. Morale is low and talented staff are leaving.

Find ways to retain talented staff.

Lab Intern was fun.

Former Employee - Lab Intern  in  San Jose, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Lab Intern in San Jose, CA (US)

I worked at San Jose State as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Nice, Helpful, Room for Growth, Weather is really great

Cons

No perks, environment is very slow at times.

Graphic Design Assistant

Former Employee - Graphic Design Assistant  in  San Jose, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Graphic Design Assistant in San Jose, CA (US)

I worked at San Jose State as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Friendly environment and nice people. iHouse has a wide range of activities and events, students could get experience there, which may build up their confidence.

Cons

There are many traditions and rules that might be the challenge to do creativity projects. In addition, the majority of residences are exchange students, learning the good way to communicate with people who have different background is not a easy thing.

Organising more activities for current residents. Moreover, reinforce the relationship with alumni, it could through sending newsletter, social media messages and so on.

Mixed Emotions

I worked at San Jose State part-time for more than a year

Pros

Depending who and which department you are working for your experience can very widely. I was working withing the Mechanical Engineering department under a part time faculty member Dr. Youssefi. My experience in this position was nothing but positive. I learned a lot mechanical design field and am glad I took the position.

Cons

The organization between different departments can be cumbersome and difficult to navigate at times.

Improve cohesiveness between schools and departments.

Worked for San Jose State? Contribute to the Community!