Schneider

Updated 26 September 2014
2.8

Schneider President and CEO Chris Lofgren
Chris Lofgren

Pros
  • Starting pay & benefits are good (in 13 reviews)

• By and large, really good people who work very hard in a difficult industry (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • big and some times you can be lost in the mass of people, as you move up work/life balance takes a hit (in 11 reviews)

• The vast majority of opportunities lead to Green Bay (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company to work for.

Former Employee - OTR Regional Driver  in  Carlisle, PA (US)
    Former Employee - OTR Regional Driver in Carlisle, PA (US)

I worked at Schneider full-time for less than a year

Pros

The Driver Business Leaders do everything they can to help their drivers when it comes to loads and get you home at your scheduled time about 98% of the time. Sometimes mistakes are made but human errors are expected from time to time.

Cons

I can't say I have anything bad to say about them.

Keep doing a great job. I have no complaints.

Great place to work so far

Current Employee - Account Executive  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Schneider full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great work environment, everyone is very friendly and a good location downtown Chicago.

Cons

Not any that I can think of yet.

Like any national company, you have good and bad. Make the most of the good.

Current Employee - OTR  in  North Salt Lake, UT (US)
    Current Employee - OTR in North Salt Lake, UT (US)

I have been working at Schneider full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Once you show how much you will drive - and do it their way - the miles will come as long as the freight is there. I did the five live loads in LA in a day to go to Phoenix. Then from Phoenix to Miami.
    The office staff is willing to work with you.
    They know their drivers in the office.
    The mechanics take care of the equipment. Not the fastest shop. But light years better than Fontana, Gary and Atlanta.
    2,700 miles per week is realistic. My norm was 12,500 per month.

Cons

Like any OTR job, time away from home. The pay is lower for starting out than when I started. But if you can show a good record after six months and then negotiate a higher wage than they offer, they will pay it. I raised my CPM by almost ten cents in a three year period.
    When it is slow for freight, it is really slow. So don't plan on always getting home on time.
    The food at various terminals is bad. The food prepared is cheap and sold at a premium like it was a truck stop and not a home away from home.

Quit making it hard to stay as a rookie by raising the pay.
    Provide a truck wash to drivers who do not get to Gary or West Memphis at least every other month.
    Actually have nutrition/fitness classes available for drivers at the larger terminals. Not posters and hope to get an appointment with the rehab.
    When the terminal managers, operations manager and all dbl in office recommend an office job for a driver, but that driver does not have a four year degree, listen to them. Don't tell the driver he is stuck as either a driver or mechanic. The office workers know the person much better than a generic employee in Green Bay.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Ok Company to work for

Current Employee - Leader
    Current Employee - Leader

I have been working at Schneider full-time for more than a year

Pros

The pay is agreable to market trends and your location. They have plenty of information at your disposal to assist in your development if you are not a leader or if you work at the Corporate Offices. Vaction policy is awesome. The longer you are there the more you get. Good retirement plans and free financial advisors. Great technical development programs. Fair hiring practices. Love the ideology of the core values. Great Corporate building.

Cons

Spread thin in regards to responsibilities vs time to complete them. Long hours and weekends at work and home. Salary associates are required to track all time off but no compensation for the long hours you put in. If you use up your flex or vacation then you have to work an extra day. Underhanded, backstabbing mentality at the corporate and supprt levels. Healthcare benefits are horrible.No formal development for leaders at sites other than corporate headquarters. Promise of Individual Development Plans or Crosstraining but yet to see anything developed. FAVORTISM! at the local and corporate levels. If you work at another site other than corporate it is just about getting the equipment up. The company preaches Core values but the majority of associates I have met do not espouse it.

Provide your leaders at all levels more than one venue for development. not just their supervisor. Biased opinions and lack of experience can deter the development of those lower level leaders. If your company does not want to provide professional development for their leaders then reimburse us for College classes, certifications and graduate programs that help to develop us. "Support" roles should do just that without scrutiny and ridicule. If you seek "support" to make something better or right and all you get is strife, you are less liekly to be an agent of improvement or change.

Happy Driver

Current Employee - Lease Operator  in  Green Bay, WI (US)
    Current Employee - Lease Operator in Green Bay, WI (US)

I have been working at Schneider as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

Very fair. Advanced technologies making life easier, work more productive, and money paid quicker., Excellent compensation.

Cons

Excellent safety goals but the extra safety work tends to add to the stress. For example, every year an additional driving test must done.

More Communication

Account Manager (logistics) Chicago, IL

Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Executive  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Executive in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Schneider full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent, fast paced work environment. Great people with helpful managers that can put you on a path to making good money in a time when great jobs are at a premium. Fair salary, fair commission structure. You need to know, going into a sales job with cold calling requires a large amount of work, motivation and being able to multitask while staying organized.

Cons

Lots of cold calling, but that is to be expected in a job such as this.

Be as helpful as possible and work to customize your approaches when training/working with sales associates. Better phone training skills are a must.

Schneider National - Bulk

Current Employee - Bulk Driver
    Current Employee - Bulk Driver

I have been working at Schneider full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good for beginning drivers that do not have a family and especially, not trying to start a family.

Cons

They trick you into signing a contract. Seems pretty sleazy to me.

Offer more local jobs (THAT STILL PAY WELL) for new recruits as well as seasoned employees.

Overworked, underpaid, and unappreciated

Former Employee - Driver Business Leader  in  Fontana, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Driver Business Leader in Fontana, CA (US)

I worked at Schneider full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great management experience for those new to the work force (out of college or career transition). Great people, most (outside of upper management) are really down to earth, friendly, and hard working.

Cons

Company values are a facade. They are only emphasized or used as a guideline when convenient for management. Office culture is work to the bone, warm bodies in seats mentality. Management has no interest in developing talent, only want to keep people in the positions they are in. Front line leaders are the work horse, while other managers try to appear busy and make themselves unavailable/unapproachable. They are also very quick to place blame on anyone else but themselves. No accountability, yet preach accountability constantly. Just a terrible, toxic environment, avoid if possible. Schneider couldn't care less how you feel or what you think. They just want to drive profit at the expense of your happiness.

Show some interest in your team. Find ways to motivate rather than constantly riding people and piling on more responsibility. Be open to suggestions for improvement or just new ideas. Drivers aren't the only associates who need to feel valued. Stop hiding information or keeping it from everyone, it undermines the team and questions people's intelligence. Invest more in your people; profit is great but the company could do so much better if people felt valued and appreciated. Take a close, long look at some of the upper managers that are in place, stop making excuses for them and brushing incidents/associate surveys under the rug. Take action! Some of these characters are a joke and everyone knows it. I could go on and on but nobody that can make any change at Schneider will read this or do anything about it because that is the company culture. What a sad situation.

Not worth staying long term

Current Employee - Driver
    Current Employee - Driver

I have been working at Schneider full-time for less than a year

Pros

The office associate's are former drivers so they have an idea how it is out there

Cons

Let's see here, the slip seating, the threat of them taking your safety bonus, trying to maintain 60 mph when the truck can go faster, I can go on for ever

Let the drivers do what they were hired for, stop worrying about the small stuff

I have had a very good experience working for Schneider.

Current Employee - Rating and Resolution Specialist  in  Green Bay, WI (US)
    Current Employee - Rating and Resolution Specialist in Green Bay, WI (US)

I have been working at Schneider full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

My supervisors are supportive and helpful. I feel like I work hard and that my work is appreciated. It can be stressful but any worthwhile job is.

Cons

I am not thrilled with the changing of the insurance policy. I like having insurance but I found the contributions to our HSA helpful and they are no longer doing that.

I wish the cafeteria had more healthful food. It is all very processed and does not provide energy for working. I think it would be easy to have more choices that are nutritious and taste good.

Worked for Schneider? Contribute to the Community!