School District of Philadelphia

Updated 28 September 2014
2.4

School District of Philadelphia Superintendent William R. Hite Jr
William R. Hite Jr

Pros
  • Good benefits (healthcare, pension, etc (in 6 reviews)

• Opportunities for Professional development (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • No training for non-teacher staff, lack of support from administration, fear around job security, tons of red-tape (in 4 reviews)

• selling off their responsibility for failing schools to charter schools and for-profit companies (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

School district of Philadelphia , School Police review.

Former Employee - School Police  in  Philadelphia, PA (US)
    Former Employee - School Police in Philadelphia, PA (US)

I worked at School District of Philadelphia full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There was so much to learn about providing security and crime prevention services in a school environment. You had to make sure that you monitored everything. Whatever you think might be suspicious , either persons and or a situation must be investigated. The welfare of the students and staff is job one. You also learn how to and when to contact emergency personnel and or police if needed. And you do get a chance to talk to young students about what they might want to do in life. Maybe give them a little advice about what you might know that could help them to make good decisions in there life.

Cons

You really need a lot of patience , and you must be smart in all that you do. Every day there something new to face. Everything from fights in the lunch room , to who might have stole the teacher's cell phone.

My advice to management is that they really need to have smaller class size. There are just to many students in a class room. I think that would help to make better learners. Teachers have a tough job as it is.

It is a very dysfunctional environment and there is always a great deal of anxiety about job security.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Philadelphia, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA (US)

I have been working at School District of Philadelphia full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good benefits (healthcare, pension, etc.), nice people to work with.

Cons

No training for non-teacher staff, lack of support from administration, fear around job security, tons of red-tape.

If you like to be verbally and physically abused this is the job for you

Current Employee - Teacher  in  Philadelphia, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Teacher in Philadelphia, PA (US)

I have been working at School District of Philadelphia full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Summers off and great coworkers-Good benefits- decent salary if you can last more than five years

Cons

disrespectful and violent students
    unsupportive administration
    building facilities are crumbling - Most buildings are over seventy years old with one outlet in rooms and no air conditioning

get the hell out and save your sanity.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not a job but an adventure in Urban education

Current Employee - Teacher -- Masters +30  in  Philadelphia, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Teacher -- Masters +30 in Philadelphia, PA (US)

I have been working at School District of Philadelphia full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

A chance to really help those that are in desperate need, Summers off,

Cons

Extremely difficult job working with under educated students and families. There is little or no family support given to my students. I work in one of the inner city high schools

Figure out a way to not only educate the students but educate the parents and guardians on how to be supportive of their children. Get through to them that education is the only way for them to get out of their situation.

Not a bad place to work

I have been working at School District of Philadelphia full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Co- workers are awesome and offer lots of support

Cons

no money.. lots of supplies need to be purchaced by teachers

As a Special Education Teacher, the job is very difficult, but rewarding.

Current Employee - Special Education Teacher  in  Philadelphia, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Special Education Teacher in Philadelphia, PA (US)

I have been working at School District of Philadelphia full-time for more than a year

Pros

The starting salary is very competitive for newer teachers, but much less comptetitive for veteran teachers. The benefits are very good. Every new teacher receives support from a Consulting Teacher.

The career prospects for Special Educations Teachers are pretty good, especially if you teach students in a Complex Support Needs program---Autistic Support, Life Skills Support, or Multiple Disabilities Support. Teaching AS, LSS, or MDS is nice because there is minimal pressure related to standardized testing; principals mainly care that your paperwork is done and that students are making progress toward their IEP goals and objectives. Many principals will let teachers of AS, LSS, and MDS "do what works" for their students. The District is not losing many students with significant disabilities to charter schools.

The District provides professional development for teachers, but a lot of the sessions you have to attend on your own time. Most of the teachers are caring and dedicated.

As a teacher, you have the opportunity to make a noticeable difference in a child's life. On your best days, the job is very rewarding.

Cons

Budget cuts have made life really difficult. Teachers spend hundreds of dollars a year on supplies, but the District only provided a $100 reimbursement for the 2013-2014 school year.

Some of the kids have out-of-control behavior no matter what you do. Teachers often have to break up fights. Dealing with some of the parents can be a headache.

There is a lot of pressure on regular education teachers to improve test scores and academic achievement because the District is losing so many students to charter schools. Some teachers have classes with 30+ kids and 4 or 5 students with significant behavior problems.

The climate varies widely from school to school. Each principal/administrator has a lot of autonomy as to how he/she runs his/her school. Some are hands-on, some are hands-off. Some are nice and supportive, others are mean and dictatorial. The best administrators are those who are nice, supportive, and hands-on.

Keep pressuring the Commonwealth to adequately fund the School District. Take better care of the buildings.

Stop speaking out of both sides of your mouth. You can't say that you value teachers and then ask teachers to take a 10% to 13% paycut.

I have been working at School District of Philadelphia

Pros

Teaching is all about the children. Each day you are met with smiles and anticipation for what is about to unfold. Sure, there are some serious trying times, but in the end these kids keep calling you "Mom."

Cons

Placement security is probably the most stress related issue in the school district, besides the low pay. One year you are teaching one grade, then suddenly you are assigned another grade the following year. The return on your classroom investment $$$ is lost. You can't dress your 6th grade classroom with Kindergarten paraphernalia. Remember, this investment comes out of your pocket....$250.00 from district doesn't reimburse the whole amount.

Lots of instability, pay is ok.

Current Employee - Grants Compliance Monitor  in  Philadelphia, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Grants Compliance Monitor in Philadelphia, PA (US)

Pros

The pay is better here than the nonprofit I worked at before I came here. I like my co-workers.

Cons

There is constant funding crisis and talk of layoffs. It is very political - who gets promotions, who gets laid off, who knows who, the unions vs non-union, etc. They recently published everyone's salary on the internet, which is not great for morale in the office. I've learned some things from this job, but I never really got the challenge that I wanted and I feel like I am trapped in a system without any power to change things.

I've talked to my boss about wanting more work (I'm bored!) and she said she would keep me in mind, but hasn't actually given me any more work.

Working in the trenches

Current Employee - Teacher -- Masters +30  in  Phila, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Teacher -- Masters +30 in Phila, PA (US)

Pros

Most students come to learn. We all realize we are in the same budget crunch and try to help each other as much as we can. We confer on issues that affect the school and really try to be a team.

Cons

Parents who have no idea about their child, no follow through on rules, lack of support from administration. Lack of supplies, no copiers, ect.

Support teachers verbally and appreciate the efforts on the front line. Parents must be made to make appointments to discuss issues with teachers so a meeting can be well prepared for.

Ok job with too many chiefs and not enough indians

I worked at School District of Philadelphia full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Decent, above average salary
    Clean, well-maintained building
    Opportunities for Professional development

Cons

Many layoffs on a regular basis
    Many organizational reorgs
    Too many disgruntled, lazy workers who are close to retirement and refuse to work

School District of Philadelphia Photos

440 N. Broad Street (Administration Building)

+ Add Photo

Worked for School District of Philadelphia? Contribute to the Community!