Schwan's

Updated 22 February 2015
Updated 22 February 2015
2.6

Dimitrios Smyrnios

Pros
  • My route had great customers, not all routes are that lucky (in 16 reviews)

• The company has a new CEO and is making a push for a better work/life balance, i (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Some long hours on occasion and must work weekends or days off to cover for holidays (in 63 reviews)

• It takes every bit of 12 - 14 hours to get over the bottom of the line commision hump (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Facility Manager

I worked at Schwan's full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Loved the job but after 28 years they had no interest in advancing me. Go figure.

Cons

No advancement even after giving them many years.

Reward those who are doing their jobs.

Customers are great, but looooooong hours.

I have been working at Schwan's

Pros

It's like I always say, I sell food to friends. My customers are great people. They are the best part of the job.

Cons

The hours are far too many and the pay can be far too little. It's not unusual to do a 60-70 hour work week.

Enjoyed the job. Customers are the best part

Current Employee - RSR Route Sales Representative in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - RSR Route Sales Representative in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Schwan's

Pros

Great relationships with my customer base. Overall the job is a lot of fun. In my work truck doing my job. No one hovering over you. It's great.

Cons

Long hours. Lacking strong leadership within management at our depot.

Driver Sales

I worked at Schwan's

Pros

Cool people U meet

Cons

Poor upper mgmt no people skills

Listen to your employees and care about the customers more

Secritive

I have been working at Schwan's

Pros

Large company so it isn't going anywhere

Cons

information sharing is not high on the priority list and the people making policy have never actually done the job, trend is to hire outside managers so that is getting worse. Making veteran employees feel like they have room for advancement is non existant

Share information immediately instead of alluding to changes conning then leaking rid bits out slowly

A lot of hours on the road

Former Employee - Delivery Driver in Clarkston, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Delivery Driver in Clarkston, MI (US)

I worked at Schwan's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great working environment. Once your on the road

Cons

10-14 hour days. A lot of pressure to get new customers

Long Hours, Pay changes constantly, Micro-managed.

Former Employee - Route Sales Representative in Everett, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Route Sales Representative in Everett, WA (US)

I worked at Schwan's

Pros

-Customers, customers, customers! They are awesome and treat you like family members over the years you deliver food to them.

Cons

-Hours are horrendous even on a slow week where you make NO $ from commissions you're still working 65 hours.
    -Micro-management
    -70%+ Turnover rate...Never know who's going to stick with it and it's tough to have a life and even make friends within your own Depot/Workplace.
    -External Hiring of depot managers and regionals ...they tend to not hire within anymore NOT GOOD. no chance to move up in the company.
    -Pay with the hours of 60-75 you put in PER WEEK turns out some weeks to be less than minimal wage.
    -Benefits are not THAT great and costly and hardly cover the basics unless you dish out $200+/Mo for a family of 3

-HIRE INTERNALLY! THERE ARE WAY too many talented members in Schwan's ...STOP HIRING managers that WE as drivers have to train and go over BASICS OF THE JOB with.
    -I was with Schwan's almost 5 years. 3 years in a row the pay/commission changed drastically...AND NEVER for the better.
    -LISTEN TO YOUR EMPLOYEES. Schwan's has stopped listening or EVEN asking their employees what can be changed for the better. The last time the pay changed especially the company gave everyone a TWO WEEK! YES TWO WEEK NOTICE that the pay was changing. UNACCEPTABLE! Depot I was in lost 5 good men shortly after that last change. 5 is a lot considering there was only 12 men in the depot lol.

Route Sales Representative

Current Employee - Route Sales Representative, Schwans in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Route Sales Representative, Schwans in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Schwan's

Pros

Salary + commission tied to your personal effort. Option to work 4 or 5 days after you have routes. To a degree the product sells itself, so if you provide friendly and steady service and use simple suggestive selling techniques, you should do quite well. Great entry level sales opportunity.

Cons

Hours can be excessive if you're not a self starter.Equipment is outdated and in short supply in many instances. Management is a mixed bag. The good ones came up through the company. The bad ones generally didn't, although there are exceptions.

Promote from within if you want the lower level management to actually lead the warehouse and sales floor.

Lots of discord but still potential

Current Employee - Analyst in Marshall, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Analyst in Marshall, MN (US)

I have been working at Schwan's full-time

Pros

Flexibility in work schedule and good work life balance. New leadership seems sincere and strategy is simple enough. Good products, with a focus on quality and starting to weed out the management that is unwilling to adapt to change. Everyone is nice enough but definitely some small town click stuff in some departments.

Cons

Really low pay for the industry and the cost of living in Marshall. This appears to be systemic throughout the organization and seems to be a reason they can't keep talent. A lot of discord and with holding of information across functional areas of the business that makes it difficult to get your job done. Lack of discipline and direction in how businesses should run creates unnecessary stress if you are someone who takes pride in your work.

Fix pay structure and invest in marketing and advertising. Stay the course, you have a good plan, it just needs to be fine tuned and executed. Need to keep working on career path planning; a new tracking system for succession planning is not the same as actual opportunity.