Schwan's
www.theschwanfoodcompany.com Marshall, MN 5000+ Employees

Schwan's Reviews

Updated Apr 19, 2014

Dimitrios Smyrnios

Pros:
  • "As well as all of the great people behind the scenes working on the operations crews"
    in 10 reviews
  • "Great company good benefits pay is good"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "Long hours,working and driving through all types of weather conditions"
    in 32 reviews
  • "Upper management is micro-managing like crazy"
    in 15 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Route Sales Representative

Route Sales Representative (Current Employee)
O'Fallon, MO (US)

I have been working at Schwan's full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat company and great schedule..Work at your own pace. Compensation excellent. Must retain great customer service and that is the key to success

ConsSome long hours on occasion and must work weekends or days off to cover for holidays.

Customer Service

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Bloomington, MN (US)

I worked at Schwan's full-time for more than a year

ProsExcellent people with an engaging culture

ConsTakes time to move in roles

A decent place to start out a career in sales.

I have been working at Schwan's

ProsGood compensation depending on the job title, flexibility in scheduling of hours.

ConsToo much expected of field employees, too many incompetent field employees. Too many hours demanded when incompetent fellow employees drop the ball (Drivers, CSR's, Merchandisers, etc.)

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to focus on the work/life balance of your field employees more, not just your administrative staff.

Good Solid Company

I have been working at Schwan's full-time for more than 8 years

ProsSolid Company.
Great Products, Home Service and Consumer Brands- Some world class products!
Good Equipment.`

ConsAs good as any other company out there.
All companies are changing and investing.

Advice to Senior Management#1 Priority must be Culture! "Employees"
Culture = Safety, Culture = Profit

Losing its Luster

Sales Manager (Current Employee)
Bloomington, MN (US)

I have been working at Schwan's full-time for more than 5 years

Prosvariety of food types it produces, lots of R&D resources to work with

ConsIt is so hard to get the highest quality management candidates to relocate to MN, so Schwan's repeatedly settles for mediocre management types (who have been let go from other companies) to fill senior roles. This leads to a viscious cycle of repeatedly turning over employees and making short sighted decisions which negatively impact the businesses.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire great people. Use best practices. Stop changing course all the time. Play to the company's strengths, do not dwell on its weaknesses. And--for goodness sake--have some checks and balances over decisions management employees are making.

Very mixed feelings

Customer Service Manager (Former Employee)
Clayton, DE (US)

I worked at Schwan's full-time for more than 3 years

ProsDiscount on products (20%)
Customer interaction
Good quality support on corporate level

ConsLocation general management was insensitive, Co workers critical of each other and unwilling to help weaker members.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management needs to teach the local and district management on the Home Service side how to handle their people. I had 2 major deaths in a 13 month period and the location general management was not sensitive to my needs and expected me to return to work in 3 days. Did not care when economy turned and a lot of customers either stopped service and or reduced their service level. Lost my routes for six months, and when I received them never mind my personal needs for conseling. The location general manager was insensitive. All he cared about was the dollar.

Positive

Sales Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at Schwan's full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat size company- not too big, not too small. Good people working in the field. Solid products and getting better. Good benefits also.

ConsPay could be better for the amount of work, but that's the life of commission sales. Also limited growth opportunities within the company.

Up and Down

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Schwan's full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood first job out of fast food or grocery store employment. Must be single and have no family attachment. You will learn how to be used and not appreciated. Good to build character to move on to employment that will be challenging and rewarded properly. Schwans gave me something at a time in my life when I was down and out. I worked hard and for a time felt rewarded. But the company has very little character as a whole. There are very good people in small corners. Its a shame that the great leaders of the company have passed on. It's now just a shell of what it used to be. It will always be long hours and hard work which was never a problem for me. It's just that when you hear, after being there over four years and leading the depot in sales for three of those years, "you are not even a blip on Schwans radar", from the manager, you realize its time to move on.

ConsThe company changes your pay whenever they feel like it, so you can never be assured of anything. When they do this they give reasons only a moron would believe. Always about the customer in a way that the company would have you believe its your fault the situation is as dire as it is. In the hands of the right management team, is the only way you have any chance for success. This may all sound like sour grapes, some of it is, but it is more truth than anyone should find out for themselves. I only took the time because Glassdoor pops up in my email. It upsets me when I see a possible fake post from some manager at Schwans saying how great the company is. For most it is not. That is a fact. You will make 30 grand a year if your lucky and work 50-60 hours a week. I didn't, but i was not the norm.

Advice to Senior ManagementI know its a difficult business climate, but be a little more honest with your employees. Don't assume they have an intelligence level of a dog. No offense to dogs because they are typically treated with more care.

On our way from good.... to great!

I have been working at Schwan's full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat passion in the people that work here every day to make this a great company. Pride in who we are and where we are headed... Great products... and great focus -- every day, we are resolved to grow advocacy from our employees, customers and consumers!

ConsChange is always difficult... Some in our field have struggled to understand that what's good for the employee, but bad for the customer or consumer.. is ultimately bad.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep moving our business forward! Onward and upward!

Schwans Lies and misleads people.

RSR (Current Employee)
Jackson, MI (US)

I have been working at Schwan's full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat benefits, but pricey for what you get

ConsHere is what Schwans does to get you to work for them. They send you out with someone with highly productive routes. They say how everyone can achieve these results. Then you fall for the bait and hook. You are given a route that someone else ran into the ground. In Jackson MI we had reps violating the EBT rules and giving free items to customer for buying what the RSR asked them for. If you like myself are honest you wont break the law or rules and you route system falls apart. They also charge a 1.75 delivery fee. This fee is hidden to the customer by some RSR's. In the time I worked for Schwans I saw one RSR fired for drinking on the job and many others lying to customers like " We are having a sales contest and I need your support" when there is not a contest happening. Ask to see anything that shows a contest is actually happening.
     I do not want to come off ass a sour grape kind of guy, but I am saying the truth. Here is an example of other things Schwans does to its employees. We are required by the DOT to punch out and take a 30 minute break everyday. We are not to do ANY work while on break. Schwans tells us you have to make 10 calls per day to customers you are going to see that day and the next so they know you are coming. No "We cannot tell you to do this on your lunch break, but that would be the best time to call."
     Schwans DOES NOT CARE ABOUT THE SAFETY OF ITS EMPLOYEES!!!! When a new set of tires or a major safety repair concern that will affect their bonuses they will put the repair off. Example June Of 2013 the DOT was doing stepped up patrols for violations. When this week came the supervisor for the depot would not let me drive my truck one day during this time. I asked he why and he said well I know you told me your steer tires were bad, but they are unsafe now. He further said matter of fact I am afraid to drive the truck to get the tires changed. That tells you how much an employees safety matters.
     In closing you can make decent money at Schwans and they have great benefits. Just remember all that matters to them is money. You are just a means to get more.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpdate your truck fleet. Put the safety of your employees first. Stop saying it and do it.

Worked for Schwan's? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Schwan's reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Schwan's CEO Dimitrios Smyrnios. All 193 reviews are posted anonymously by Schwan's employees.