Scotiabank

Scotiabank Reviews

Updated Jul 31, 2014

Scotiabank President and CEO Brian J. Porter

Brian J. Porter

Pros
  • work life balance, position title is higher than other Canadian banks (in 66 reviews)

• Relax work environment, great people and a stable company (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • The pay is not competitive and there aren't full time positions on the teller line, even few part time (in 8 reviews)

• Low salary; if you pay peanuts you get monkeys (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

3 yrs of experience as a Manual tester working in Scotia Bank Project for Investment Platform Project.

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Hyderābād

ProsIt's one of the largest banking projects in Tech Mahindra. I feel really proud working in this Project

ConsThere is nothing negative about the Scotia bank Project.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere should follow a rotational policy for all the associates so that max no.of associates can go to onsite

One Team One Goal - To provide best service to Customers & create wealth for communities, investors and the employees.

Manager (Current Employee) Delhi

ProsExcellent professional working culture with great organizational values. Employee friendly and looking to improve continuously.

ConsConservative decision making process followed

Advice to Senior ManagementSome of the decisions should be taken keeping in view of long term gains without worrying for the short term impacts.

Good and secure place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsLot's of opportunity to learn from courses and colleagues and have new work experiences. Good ideas well expressed are very welcome.

ConsLot's of red tape - as per any large organization; slow to make decisions; politics abound.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeaders need to give priority to leading their teams and treating people with respect, too many political players in the leadership.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Friendly environment, Normal people, Not super geeks that can make you afraid of IT, Compensation is fine

Co-op Programmer Analyst (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsFriendly, Enjoyable, Good learning experience

ConsSometimes deadlines may come very frequent and you wont have time, Compensation is like all other banks

Advice to Senior ManagementThank your for giving me a chance to prove myself

Great culture, long growth curve

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe office culture is great with a lot of initiatives to keep you engaged

Conssalary
    growth in career is a bit slow

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed more than yearly PDP's to mentor staff

Great opportunity for customer service experience.

Customer Services Representative (Current Employee) Saint Marys, ON (Canada)

ProsThere seems to be a lot of room for professional growth.

Consthe incentives to sell products was not enough to inspire sales.

Advice to Senior Managementbetter incentives, rewards could be more straight forward to get better sales per employee.

Great Place to work ... if you find the right manager

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros+ Great work life balance
    + Friendly, helpful colleagues
    + Appreciated for your work and input

Cons- Low compensation (low base, bonus, benefits) and low compensation increase
    - Little opportunity for advancement
    - Even if you obtain more certifications or education, it doesn't move you up

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on compensation packages to retain top talent

Very good training program

Financial Advisor (Current Employee)

ProsStarted at bank earlier this year and have found the training staff and in branch coaches to be greatly supportive and helpful. Good corporate culture from what I understand, and very likely to promote from within

ConsTheir central operating system could stand to be updated. There are some process that take a lot longer than they need to. Some office politics but nothing unlike other work places

Nice for new commers

ProsNice opportunities for new commers with Financial experience en Latin America

ConsJust starting a new challenge!

Overall Satisfying

Project Manager (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsDepending on your manager, there are opportunities for development of skills, obtaining certifications, mentoring etc. Many of the departments had really great people that you could work with. Like any organization, there will always be slackers who can be counter productive, but in this organisation they can be managed.

ConsDepending on the manager, there may be issues with work-life balance; (At times I worked over 80 hrs a week for months; definitely burnt out.) But then the same manager spent the next years trying to make work comfortable and gave me a lot of slack.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to have a better understanding of what is happening on the front lines. More fireside chats would help, and ensure they are mandatory and confidential.

Worked for Scotiabank? Contribute to the Community!