Seagate Technology

Updated 28 September 2014
3.7

Seagate Technology Chairman, President, and CEO Steve Luczo
Steve Luczo

Pros
  • Great work life balance at the moment, as management can not decide on projects to work on (in 44 reviews)

• Good work environment, people and far sighted strategy (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • Need to provide more opportunities for career advancement (in 9 reviews)

• Your career growth can stagnate after few years (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Senior research engineer

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Bangalore
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bangalore

I have been working at Seagate Technology full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good career growth good peer groups

Cons

Too much to do not much time

listen to your lower staff members

My experience was rewarding, pleasant, and very engaging.

Current Employee - Applications Engineer  in  Cupertino, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Applications Engineer in Cupertino, CA (US)

I have been working at Seagate Technology as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

The best things about working here are the co-workers. People I've come into contact with have been down to earth, easy to get a long with and very approachable. You will work hard, but you'll like the team that you're working with and that will make the work enjoyable and rewarding. Each team, depending on the department you're working in will be a different experience. Depending on the team you're in you might have to work some extra hours but the work-life balance is definitely manageable and you'll be able to keep a healthy balance.

Cons

I do not have any cons at the moment as I am still going through the training and job interview process. I will update in the future if I have any cons or issues.

Great learning environment, helpful people

Former Employee - Intern  in  Singapore (Singapore)
    Former Employee - Intern in Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at Seagate Technology as an intern for less than a year

Pros

helpful and friendly people, good intern recognition, learning environment

Cons

relatively slow paced, lacking in some ways to keep up with new technology trends at workplace

keep up the good internship program !

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A solid and dynamic company to work for.

Current Employee - Engineering Director  in  Singapore (Singapore)
    Current Employee - Engineering Director in Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at Seagate Technology full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good work environment, people and far sighted strategy. Good opportunity for growth and good work life balance.

Cons

None that are of any concern

Carry on the excellent job of guiding the company

Singapore R&D is difficult for test engineers...

Current Employee - Senior Engineer  in  Singapore (Singapore)
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at Seagate Technology full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good work life balance. Flexibility depends on your boss.

Cons

Test engineers in R&D is difficult to progress. Small chance to move to Staff Engineer because Senior need to go throught a tech review with 5 projects related to tech development but as a test engineer, we don't develop things and there are limited opportunities within my organisation. Basically it's forcing staffs to go when you are stuck at this level.

Need to review the tech review for Test engineers. It's very unfair.

Arrived at Seagate via Sandforce->LSI->Avago acquisition, and got screwed in the process.

I have been working at Seagate Technology full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great work life balance at the moment, as management can not decide on projects to work on. We will soon have daily trips out of Silicon Valley to a Fremont facility that will allow us to experience startup like conditions in a big company.

Cons

This review is mainly specific to circumstances relating to arriving at Seagate via an acquisition (not a good thing). Seagate recently acquired the Flash Components Division of Avago Technologies, which previously acquired LSi, which previously acquired Sandforce. Many of the original Sandforce folks worked really hard to realize a technology and were still vesting a significant amount of the startup equity and mostly this vesting would have completed by late 2015. This equity had been maintained through the acquisition by LSI and Avago. Unfortunately Seagate chose not to recognize existing vesting schedules and came up with a retention scheme that basically screwed the longstanding creators of the technology. A gun was held to our heads in taking the deal to leave Avago and sign up with Seagate in which Avago threatened to withhold bonuses that would have been paid. Avago is basically a technology corporate raider that acquires companies and sells of pieces as it sees fit.

This has now lead to a very negative work environment in which the main topic of discussion is how badly treated people were and what other opportunities are available outside of Seagate. A number of people have already left, and It seems like the team is on the verge of complete disintegration, and Seagate will have purchased technology assets that are worthless without the creators of the technology. This seems so stupid as $450m was paid for the acquisition and the amount that engineers were screwed out of was probably in the $10m range.

I think it is already too late to save the Sandforce team, so posting this here for others that may end up in a similar situation. Get organized as a group early and protect yourself.

If you make an acquisition and want to retain key staff, treat them well. If you want to just keep the assets and have staff leave, then keep doing what you are doing.

Uncertainty for Contract Worker

Former Employee - Senior Engineering Specialist  in  Bloomington, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Engineering Specialist in Bloomington, MN (US)

I worked at Seagate Technology full-time for less than a year

Pros

Higher pay than comparable job task. It'd be a steal for my coworker who was paid as engineer and work same as my job role, which is basically as a technician.

Cons

No backup and pass of knowledge learning from professional in deep of the night 3rd shift, but even in the rest of the 12 hour long overlapping day hours there wasn't knowledge transfer process.
    The real problem being treated as a contract worker is that there was absolutely no transparency in stability of your current job. As employer likes, they renew your contract hooking you up to high pay but when they don't want you, not out of your work fault, they would ask you return your company entrance badge and clear up your office place, i. e.,to pack up and leave the company, in 5 minutes. It's an absolutely dehumanizing experience I ever experienced.

High technology doesn't mean sitting in high hill for a long while. Continuing this division of labor force between the hired and the temp. will only hurt productivity in the long run.
    At one moment the management seemed to be prioritizing a team project group. Another moment the company put the emphasis somewhere else but showed traces of unprofessional and rough transitions.

good experience

I have been working at Seagate Technology

Pros

Friendly environment. Some pressure, but not a lot. Some appreciation award is good.

Cons

depends on the manager, some are very good and aggressive. Some are not good and doesn't support the employee.

Great Company For New Grad

Current Employee - Firmware Engineer  in  Shakopee, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Firmware Engineer in Shakopee, MN (US)

I have been working at Seagate Technology full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Company is great with working with new grads, nice work-life balance and great bonuses. The have lots of events and promotions to show employee appreciations.

Cons

HR often blocks promotions and raises.

Super place to work

Former Employee - Marketing Communications Manager  in  Cupertino, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Marketing Communications Manager in Cupertino, CA (US)

I worked at Seagate Technology full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

This company has a great products, good workplace culture, good organization, nice work-life balance. Attitudes are very positive and departments work together well. Employees believe in the products and the executive management team.

Cons

Need to provide more opportunities for career advancement. Many people stuck in the same roles for too long.

Encourage more career development and growth.

Seagate Technology Photos

Worked for Seagate Technology? Contribute to the Community!