Sephora
www.sephora.com San Francisco, CA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Sephora Reviews

Updated Apr 21, 2014

Calvin McDonald

Pros:
  • "A lot of fun - work life balance - training is very good - high standards"
    in 26 reviews
  • "Free products, exceptional education and investment the company makes with each individual"
    in 43 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work/life balance is a company value but not executed in many channels"
    in 31 reviews
  • "No work/life balance, always on your feet, catty coworkers who like to gossip"
    in 12 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Love the endless options.... New challenges everyday

Education Lead (Current Employee)
Grand Rapids, MI (US)

I have been working at Sephora full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe brands and company are extremely generous with Gratis. Working and training with multiple brands is a great experience. Sephora values are a great guideline. Going to work every day and having fun all while getting paid to do what you love.

ConsExempt managers are not as involved as they should be. Hourly managers are required to do just as much with a completely different rate of pay. Lots of brand options for clients, that sometimes change too often.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer more full time positions to cast (employees). Part time work for a full time commitment can be challenging.

Great experience

Color Consultant (Former Employee)
Miami, FL (US)

I worked at Sephora part-time for less than a year

Pros-Good pay
-Nice co-workers
-Flexible hours
-Gratis!!!

ConsEverything was pretty, pretty great

Advice to Senior ManagementTraining was great and so were the benefits.

Tired feet, but never ending education and experience

Beauty Advisor (Current Employee)
Philadelphia, PA (US)

I have been working at Sephora part-time for less than a year

ProsTeam player atmosphere, the funky music, the GRATIS!, the education and daily doses, work life balance - they will allow requests for days off even on a weekend if there are no big events going on. NO Commission so NO cattiness, at least not at my location. We work as a team and strive to achieve goals so that we all get bonuses.

ConsVery tiring, it's still retail, so wear comfortable shoes, never heels they are not allowed anyway, the uniforms "costumes" are these ugly tent dresses that are so unflattering. You can wear slacks and a button down shirt, always in black.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up with educating the cast members, always back up an individual who seeks to advance and map out a plan for them,

Amazing!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Sephora full-time

ProsAmazing company to work for. Many benefits of working herethat includes education gratistraining and a company that really wants to get you to where you want to be

Consretail hours but usually good to work around your schedule

Rewarding Experience

Retail Store Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Sephora full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFree products, exceptional education and investment the company makes with each individual. Feels like home away from home and you meet so many interesting people both internally and externally.

ConsIt's really hard to find people who are committed to working hard, dependable and want to build a career. Often times you get one bad apple who insist on remaining a negative nelly and infest the team.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your managers to do their job. It's not always about becoming close to your team, it's about giving support and understanding to the demands of the job and the people.

seasonal cash wrap

Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee)
League City, TX (US)

I worked at Sephora part-time for less than a year

ProsFast paced, fun environment. The holidays (christmas/new years) are absolutely insane! We had lines through the door...must be outgoing and patient. Must understand basic makeup and skin care to thrive. I got $10.25 per hour there are bonuses but seasonal ppl dont really get them

ConsHours are not flexible and they have to completely search and empty out everyones purse to leave for any reason at any time even to get a starbucks in the mall. They can be catty and stuck up also.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake hours flexible and be less stuck up

Stock assocaite

Stock Associate (Former Employee)
Forest Hills, NY (US)

I worked at Sephora part-time for less than a year

Prosgreat discounts,great coworkers, product knowledge

Consstock are given lots of work to do in very little time

Advice to Senior Managementgive the stock associates more time

Great for Part-time

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Sephora part-time

great feedback from clients

Consmicro-managing supervisors
lack of personal growth
benefits lacking

Not a bad place to work in retail

Color Cast Member (Former Employee)
Boston, MA (US)

I worked at Sephora full-time for more than a year

ProsThe training opportunities are pretty amazing if you take advantage of them- its possible to learn a lot. In comparison to other retail jobs, the opportunities for growth, job security, and compensation overall is above average for sure. For the most part, the staff is fun to work with and they are very generous when it comes to gratis.

ConsIt is a very corporate environment - if you work well within those kinds of confines you can succeed and find growth opportunities. That said, it can be a bit catty and everyone takes it a bit too seriously - you kind of have to drink the kool-aid to enjoy it.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Seasonal Cast Member

Cast Member (Former Employee)

I worked at Sephora part-time for less than a year

ProsWorking with great coworkers and great clients. Makeup and skincare is fun and challenging to work in. I learned a lot and enjoyed going to work everyday.

ConsLOTS of things really need to be improved with some members of management. That's all I'm going to say.

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen your eyes, and don't play favorites. Discrimination is an ugly thing.

Worked for Sephora? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sephora reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Sephora CEO Calvin McDonald . All 494 reviews are posted anonymously by Sephora employees.