Sephora

Updated 20 November 2014
Updated 20 November 2014
3.6

Calvin McDonald

Pros
  • Love their employees and really strive to ensure great work life balance (in 32 reviews)

• free products, makeup artists play ground, mostly friendly consumers/clients (in 55 reviews)

Cons
  • Great core values except work/life balance can be a struggle (like with any retail) (in 45 reviews)

• As a former manager I had little to no work-life balance, my life revolved around my job (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work if you're scrappy and up for the challenge

I have been working at Sephora full-time (more than an year)

Pros

#1 - People. I work at the HQ and I was worried coming from tech industry (no beauty experience) that this was going to be like Devil Wears Prada and everyone ate air sandwiches for lunch and wore the most expensive designer outfits imaginable. NOT the case. This company is filled with incredibly sharp, passionate, and "real" people. The pace is CRAZY here, but we're all in it together and there is a lot of (successful) cross functional partnership. It's a very collegiate, passionate culture.
    #2 - Career Opportunities. The company is growing so quickly, we're constantly creating new teams and taskforces. Sephora has a very lean organization for the size of the business it generates so you have the opportunity to wear many hats and try new things.
    #3 - Work Life Balance... tricky because this is so subjective and really depends on the department, but it's one of the company's values and most senior leaders are big proponents of maintaining a balance (and they lead by example)
    #4 - Bonus. The company has paid out ABOVE bonus target for the last several years. Not many companies can say that.
    #5 - Innovation. A lot of companies claim to be innovative but only few are. Sephora is truly innovative in its merchandising practices, technology, retail ops, and eCommerce/mobile functions. It's very cool to be a company that wins but never gets complacent.

Cons

#1 - Internal systems/processes (or lack thereof). It's shocking how old some of the processes and systems are here. It's on the senior leadership team's radar to update, but it can be incredibly frustrating, causing you to be less efficient than you'd like to be.
    #2 - Decisions are often made to start programs or initiatives without the proper planning, resources, or buy-in
    #3 - Ultimately, we report to LVMH and there can sometimes be a disconnect between San Francisco and Paris

-Really focus on building up the internal systems and processes so people can do their jobs more effectively.
    -Invest in training. The training and education for the field/stores is INCREDIBLE--truly some of the best in the business. But there is a woeful lack of relevant training opportunities at the corporate level.

Love

Current Employee - Cast Member in Las Vegas, NV (US)
    Current Employee - Cast Member in Las Vegas, NV (US)

I have been working at Sephora full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Getting to work around the different products, learning about different product brands. I love working with other people so this job was a plus for me.

Cons

A lot of micromanaging. Too much mess among the other cast members and cashiers and not enough hours. Just like any other retail job.

Long interview process

Former Employee - Holiday Cashier in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Holiday Cashier in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Sephora part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Easy interview
    no questions out of left field
    easy to learn on the job

Cons

long hours
    long interview process

Wonderful place to work

Current Employee - Seasonal Cashier
    Current Employee - Seasonal Cashier

I have been working at Sephora part-time

Pros

The cast is amazing, depending on where you are, gratis, and of course having the employee discount! It's so easy to make someone's day, the clients are amazing! I love everything about Sephora.

Cons

Everyone is so friendly but being with all women, gossip can happen! Don't take part in it.

Love sephora

I have been working at Sephora

Pros

Love putting makeup on women and helping women find what they need.

Cons

I love sephora store.
    I do not have any cons

Awesome place to work, especially for RETAIL!

Current Employee - Cast Member in McLean, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Cast Member in McLean, VA (US)

I have been working at Sephora part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Most of my Pros may be store specific, but hopefully it's not!
    1. Positive environment/Great team - we all work together for one big goal. When we close, we have our assignments and run to the aid of another when we've completed our assignments.
    2. Store Director is very business-minded, but also cares for our well-being.
    3. Leadership team is amazing! Do you know how rare it is to have a leadership team who is young(er), but are actual leaders and not managers?
    4. Cast member meetings are great for team building exercises. The last cast meeting I went to, the Store Director and Leadership took time to recognize excellent cast members.
    5. Sephora has a structure that works!
    6. Gratis is always a plus.
    7. Possibility to make bonus if budget/goals are met..and on that note, this place IS NOT commission-based.
    8. Pays more than other retail stores!!!
    9. Tunic is mostly comfortable and has pockets so I don't have to think about what to wear.
    10. Corporate sometimes dictates what kind of looks we are to have. This CHALLENGES you as a makeup artist and I love the challenge.
    11. Training is pretty thorough and makes you ready for your first shift

Cons

I've worked in retail, sales, and office jobs before and there are less cons I can think of at Sephora compared to all the other jobs I have. I work full-time elsewhere and I love coming to Sephora after my full time job or on weekends. It's a great way to be creative with your makeup and share it with clients. There are going to be tough parts, like multi-clienting, but it doesn't mean it's a bad thing.

Perks aren't as great for people who aren't in color (makeup department).
    During busy seasons, part-timers lose their hours to new hires and seasonal hires.
    It might be nice (but tedious, I know) to sensor as many products as possible.

Can't say much about personal growth because I'm pretty happy where I am for now, but I have heard a complaint or two about not getting into the world that you want to be in.

I haven't been here for a year, but it seems that everyone is nurtured from the top level and going down. I say keep that up because the positive attitude is contagious.

Loving Sephora, So is everyone else!

Current Employee - Cashwrap in Mission Viejo, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Cashwrap in Mission Viejo, CA (US)

I have been working at Sephora part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Its a great workplace! I love how they educate all of us "Cast Members", it assures we know everything for the benefit of the Clients "Customers" . I love the way the business works, and how we have meetings, Classes. The way LV runs his company assures money coming in and a great business, It inspires me! Its a very positive work place, Always recognition of the cast members (Awards, marriage Proposals, Promotions, Hard Working..etc. .it's really neat! ..) It all gets recognized, and during daily meet ups, told to congratulate them! Its just great to be acknowledged when doing good.. not most companies do that. But the DIC "Managers" really are great. They help so much,..there's so much to learn from them, and hopefully I can make it to permanent cast and continue learning and working for them. There is so much room to grow within the company!

Sorry Everyone I'm writing a lot.. Just love working for Sephora & so much to say!

Cons

You can not have any "Lazy" days of work. You cant go in wearing sweatpants and a T if you are having a rough day, like in most retail! haha But its okay because it just means that if you plan on going out after work you're already dressed, your makeup and hair is already done & its actually fun getting all pretty early in the morning and you go out and everyone around town is still half asleep lol. But at most that's probably the WORST thing about it, nothing else at all... besides seasonal hours kind of suck except thanksgiving hasn't really hit yet, so maybe Ill get more!

Oh theres one thing that does kind of suck... if you were a frequent shopper from Sephora before you worked there.. you have to get your Sephora makeup scribed or you cant bring it in at all... Which sucks.. All my makeup is from there already.

Don't hire as much seasonal.. Its hard to get in hours... especially because I am trying really hard to become permanent, that I feel like I don't have enough time to shine! & I don't want to work multiple jobs. I'm putting all of my heart in Sephora, therefore I wont get a second job since Sephora is my main focus.. So unless after the holidays I become permanent, Ill have to find more work :(

Color Consultant

Former Employee - Color Consultant in San Jose, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Color Consultant in San Jose, CA (US)

I worked at Sephora part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You're always being educated on products and how to apply products. Tons of gratis (I won't have to buy mascara or eye cream for 3 years). They really care about the cast members and will work with you to get you where you want to be. Great work-life balance as well.

Cons

The pay. Also, when sales are low, hours get cut significantly.

Less micromanagement please

It's a busy store

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Sephora full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun work place. You learn a lot.

Cons

Scheduling. You can close one day and open the next. Shaving of hours in months with low business

Someone who closes the night before should not open the next day.

Awesome place to work!

Current Employee - FSC Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Sephora full-time

Pros

Company has been growing at an incredibly fast clip and always has new initiatives and challenges to tackle. This creates meaningful work opportunities as well as an environment where everyone is working together towards a common goal. Performance based culture rewards hard work and bonus payouts are above market. Culture values include: Teamwork, Balance, Expertise, Respect for All, Initiative and Passion for the Product and Customer. Employees are all obsessed with creating an experience for our clients to be surprised and delighted. Entrepreneurial environment allows you to make a big impact. On top of all that, the people are wonderful. Colleagues show up every day caring about the company and YOU as an individual.

Cons

As a retail company in the SF Bay Area right now, the company isn't able to compete with other early stage tech companies that offer generous perks like free lunch, dogs at work, etc. Because we're lean, we don't have 4 people doing the same job and that can sometimes lead to employees feeling like they're working really hard. They are, but we're all working towards something, not just spinning our wheels.

Keep caring and listening to your employees. Our cast members are what make the Sephora experience stand out to our clients.