Shasta County

Updated Mar 29, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

County

ProsSafe, secure, position; easy job; some potential for promotion

ConsLong time between raises and wage caps on positions

bad morale in some departments

Program Assistant (Current Employee) Redding, CA (US)

ProsA paycheck with benefits is great

ConsOne of my first required county wide trainings was an eye opener as coworkers from various departments shared their disgust with disrespectful managers. My own manager was not remotely qualified for her job lacking the education and skills to do quality work. She micromanaged her staff into quitting, or hating their work. She got promoted for that and this seems to be how the county rewards arrogance and incompetence. Arrogance is the operative word when dealing with management.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees and realize there is a morale issue that could be improved if you provided any indication that you cared for your staff's career and well-being

Another Government Clone

Cog In the Wheel (Current Employee) Redding, CA (US)

ProsBeing a government job its a secure postion and there is opportunity for advancement if you fit in and know what you are doing.

ConsVery Clicky, government is adverse to change and runs at a snails pace which makes innovation and change very difficult. Government is risk-adverse and employees are afraid of making mistake and there is alot of CYA going on or blaming somone else. Morale is not very good.

Advice to Senior ManagementWow! Where do I start....Communication is not very good between upper management and those below so they need to fix that. Also Managment should help with morale bring inspiration to the work place tell people they are doing a good job make it a place where people want to go to work not just some 9 to 5 job where you collect a paycheck. Where there is a lack of vision the people perish. Alot of employees are adverse to taking the lead or promoting a new idea as that is not enouraged within managment. There is alot of dead weight in the lower job functions as well but thats another question.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Food Service Associate

Food Service Associate (Former Employee) Redding, CA (US)

ProsGreat coworkers, flexible hours for a student

ConsMinimum wage, no benefits, drama

OK

Ew2 (Current Employee) Redding, CA (US)

Prosgood job, nice people to work with

Consnot good benefits, cost too much

Advice to Senior Managementlessen the cost of benefits, give cost of living raise

Lots of favoritism, seniority is never considered

Social Worker II (Current Employee) Redding, CA (US)

ProsIt is one of the top paying organizations in this area,

ConsThey are not supportive of line staff, two many superviors with large salaries who do little

Advice to Senior ManagementRestore the money and benefits taken from the line staff, 6 percent of pay, required to pay our retirement in full whereas county paid in past, these deductions were suppose to be temporary now they are permanent, Quit hiring positions that are high salary, we have way to many supervisors. Recongize senority not who socializes better with management, get rid of the good ol boys network and their power and control. Lets become like most counties professional and to serve the people, not themselves.

Public Works is a good Department

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Redding, CA (US)

ProsThe work has been interesting, the opportunities good, management is receptive to ideas and concerns and within the Department there is a very positive work environment.

ConsIt is government so don't go in thinking you will change everything. Understand that government agencies must function differently from private firms. Take the not so good with the good and understand that things could be so much worse.

Advice to Senior ManagementWithin my Department I am very satisfied. I have heard some dissatisfaction from other Departments, but I can't speak to that.

Worked for Shasta County? Contribute to the Community!