Shoppers Drug Mart

Be The First To
Add Photos

Shoppers Drug Mart President & CEO Domenic Pilla

Domenic Pilla

Pros
  • 30% discount comes in handy especially if you have an expensive taste for cosmetics(in 25 reviews)

• employee discount that is it, some coworkers are great(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Head office putting too much work, no time to actually enjoy the job(in 14 reviews)

• big company HR department that supports executives, touts work-life balance in policy only(in 6 reviews)

Great place to start a career path during high school and post secondary

ProsVery flexible schedule and great discount

ConsWorking on weekends,
    Not much room for advancement

Overall a great experience, treat you like family

Beauty Expert (Current Employee) Windsor, ON (Canada)

ProsVery flexible hours, if time off was requested.. it usually was given

Conschallenging customers, and not a lot of staff when needed.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone, they were always there to help

Good Pay & Compensation But large workload

ProsWork with Talented people and processes

ConsVision of Company changes as much as the leadership

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great benefits; hard to survive with the wages.

Front Store Supervisor (Current Employee) Coal Harbour, BC (Canada)

ProsThe coworkers are like family love working here. Everyone is friendly and willing to help each other out!

ConsAssociates are cheap and pay us supervisors so poorly. I've worked for 5 years and I barely get paid more than minimum wage. Experience means nothing.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf supervisors are next in command after management. We should get paid as so.

shoppers

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosa job
    a job a job a job

Consto many doors lack of training to be successful

Advice to Senior Managementtools for success not knowing the peoples strengths

Shoppers Cosmetician- wouldnt work for them again

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsFree cosmetics, friendly coworkers, laid-back atomosphere of this particular store, nice associate and nice manager

ConsNot enough hours unless you are the cosmetics manager, low salary, not enough commission because of the area, customers are horrible in the area, late hours and sketchy area.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf the store is in a sketchy location, please don't make the employees work so late at night. Obviously manager gets to have whatever shifts she wants and doesn't have to deal with the horrifying sketchiness. Cosmetics section needs security especially late at night.

Would never work here again

Supervisor (Former Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

Prosadvancement
    your always busy when it is slow

Conspay
    management talk bad about employee
    benefits
    raises sucks
    hrs /schedual changes way too much

Advice to Senior Managementdon't talk about employees behind their backs
    learn how to make a good schedual
    don't turn on employees when they quit(start hating them after quitting)

Good experience of corporate culture but being on contract or co-op you don't get the same perks

Consumer Research (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsGreat experience and challenging work, fast paced, great people that are talented, dedicated and friendly.

ConsDidn't receive the same benefits as the full times since I was a co-op and it is the same for contract workers. Not too much room to move around, they want people to stay in same position and become specialists in that job.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more flexible in moving employees to different departments so they can learn more, allow for co-ops and contracts some more benefits such as access to SDM university.

Amazing Place to work at

Front Store Cashier (Current Employee) Richmond, BC (Canada)

ProsFriendly co-workers and amazing management.
    Flexible scheduling.
    Advance scheduling.

By far this has been the best part time job that I ever had. They are very understanding as long as you give them a heads up with shift scheduling and over time you make great friends and everyone is friendly.

ConsNone at all really! The place I work at is really amazing.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you do!

AFSM

Assistant Front Store Manager - Process Lead (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsGood discount, simple and engaging work, not too much nonsense from head office

A lot of people might complain, but usually it's the result of individual managers/owners, or else the person has an exalted notion of how productive they are. In my experience, good workers are rewarded for their efforts in raises, promotions, and internal gifts.

ConsLabour hours are often inadequate, customer service is poor as a result.

Not much bad to say, really. It's a retail employer and so the stress is typical, the complaints typical, and the only gripe I might have is with the seemingly arbitrary amount of paperwork we're required to file.

Plus, our cash registers are pretty basic. And the internet at work is terrible. But hey, at least we have Chrome after all this time.

Advice to Senior ManagementCut out the paper trail already. It's 2014. Get digital. Integrate the various systems and networks already. I should be able to trace a product to another store. I should know where a customer can find something advertised in the flyer if I don't have it.

MMS is SOOOOOO old. EPOS is pretty dated at this point too. I won't even talk about ETM/WFM. What 8-bit tech start-up designed that software?

Worked for Shoppers Drug Mart? Contribute to the Community!