Shutterfly

Shutterfly Reviews

Updated Apr 09, 2014

Shutterfly President, CEO, and Director Jeff Housenbold

Jeff Housenbold

Pros:
  • "Opportunity to make an immediate impact in your area; good compensation; good work-life balance"
    in 17 reviews
  • "Was a fun place to work - very cool products & solid management team"
    in 12 reviews
Cons:
  • "Sometimes it can be very challenging when it comes to work-life balance"
    in 5 reviews
  • "worst hr, fake senior management"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Energetic and enthusiastic small business

SEO Strategist (Former Employee)
New York, NY (US)

I worked at Shutterfly full-time for more than a year

ProsThe company is growing!
Industry experts - They run a YouTube channel with industry news
Career growth
Individual's contributions is easyly taken note of

ConsNothing really serious to point out to. May be a larger office space.

Advice to Senior ManagementShould work towards getting more large businesses/enterprises rather than just SMB
Just an area of opportunity - Can learn from other big agencies in the same market
Needs a stronger marketing team

Great Place to Work if you are Good at your Job

Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Shutterfly full-time for more than a year

Pros* Empowering work environment where many important decisions are made at the frontline (very little micromanaging)
* Smart and approachable management team
* Good compensation
* Good work life balance
* Colleagues are very smart (high % of Harvard and Stanford MBAs) and modest
* Everyone is receptive to testing new ideas
* High growth company with a great reputation and future

Cons* Not as many resources as a larger company
* Market potential is not as large as some other industries
* Based in Redwood City/Shores so not a lot of good restaurants close-by

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work and please continue to work your magic.

Growing company with lots of opportunities

I have been working at Shutterfly full-time for more than a year

ProsMarket leader with great growth prospects for the future
Unique position - ecommerce retail leader but vertically integrated and makes their own physical products. Great chance to understand both sides of the house
Relatively small size but with the stability of a public company - have found it easy to change roles and grow responsibility
Executive team is among the best I've worked for - clear vision & strategy for the company, paired with focus on day to day execution

ConsTwo locations - Redwood City and Sunnyvale (soon to be Santa Clara) so depending on your role you can spend some quality time on 101 going back & forth

No 401k match

Extremely cross-functional and matrixed org structure - can take longer to get things done at times than the should

Growing company with a great work environment that sells fun products

I have been working at Shutterfly full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- Company successful, stock has doubled in last 12 months, growing quickly (recently acquired key competitors like Kodak Gallery, Tiny Prints and My Publisher)
- Strong leadership team. CEO in particular is passionate about the company and has a strong vision
- Great work environment. Smart, driven people who set aggressive goals and work hard to achieve them. At the same time, work/life balance is good. Very team-oriented (as opposed to cutthroat) and collaborative environment. People here are fun to work with.
- Good opportunities for career growth. Since the company is growing and because there are multiple brands, there are opportunities to shift around and try different things or move to another brand.
- Because we focus on photo-oriented products and are so consumer-oriented, work is way more fun (as opposed to selling widgets)
- Compensation seems as good or better than comparable companies

Cons- If you live in SF, like I do, the commute can be miserable

Advice to Senior Management- Organize shuttle service to and from the city, as more and more talent is choosing to live in the city and commute remotely (e.g., Google, Facebook, EA, etc.)

Building premier brands

Senior Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Shutterfly full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe company is building a portfolio of premium brands and is willing to invest in technology, product, and marketing to support the growth.

Consumer-focused, action-oriented work force: company culture is about winning in the market and making a difference in our customers' lives.

ConsMultiple corporate locations (Shutterfly run out of Redwood City, Tiny Prints / Wedding Paper Divas out of Sunnyvale, MyPublisher out of NYC) places a premium on communication in order to coordinate across brands and functions.

Exciting Start, Disappointing End

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Shutterfly for more than 3 years

ProsSome very nice and smart people
Some nice gestures from HR i.e. celebrating important days of various cultures
Free snacks & drinks
Nice office

ConsHigh level of politics (one would never imagine the level ! )
Very unfair promotion policy
Unclear career path (or no path at all)
Not fair bonus policy

Not as cool as they think

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Shutterfly full-time for more than 3 years

ProsProfitable company that invests in equipment and automation year over year. Sound business idea that should be around for a long time.

ConsManagement very much a clique and those not in the in crowd are definitely not in the in crowd. Quickly went from .com start up to big ship corporate with politics, closed doors and hubris.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone can be given because they are too important and smart to take any advice.

Amazing company culture and morale!

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)
Sunnyvale, CA (US)

I have been working at Shutterfly full-time for more than a year

ProsStraight line of communication between management and individual contributors. Bonuses, room for growth, and fun company team building opportunity. Very innovative with state of the art technologies. I love working for Shutterfly, Inc., and all of my fellow colleagues.

ConsRelocation of my personal department, sad that I can't stay.

Great place to work

Senior QA Engineer I (Current Employee)
Sunnyvale, CA (US)

I have been working at Shutterfly full-time for more than a year

ProsGood company culture, good benefits, some nice perks at work (currently at least), "pay for performance" type of rewarding scheme - so you get quarterly bonuses based on performance, plus official & unofficial raises can happen which can include additional RSUs awarded. Unofficial raises are what I call ones that get you more benefits without a formal promotion. Benefits in terms of salary, health benefits, stock options, 401k are comparable to good companies. The vision plan covers transition lenses for free, and dental plan covers braces for adults up to $1500. Perks include free snacks and free drinks at work, some form of gym. Good culture includes having several company events a year for celebration, and quarterly & monthly all hands meetings.

Cons401k has no employer matching left out in favor of "pay for performance" rewarding culture.

Shutterfly's work culture is awesome!

I have been working at Shutterfly full-time

ProsGood culture, good salary and benefits

ConsThere is always a shortage of snacks and drinks.

Worked for Shutterfly? Contribute to the Community!

Shutterfly Videos

Shutterfly – Why Work for Us?

How many jobs help you celebrate new babies, parties, weddings, reunions, a trip to Disneyland or the Roman Coliseum... all in the same day? How many jobs help make people smile from ear to ear and shed tears of joy… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Shutterfly reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Shutterfly CEO Jeff Housenbold. All 156 reviews are posted anonymously by Shutterfly employees.