Shutterfly

Updated 16 December 2014
3.8

Shutterfly President, CEO, and Director Jeff Housenbold
Jeff Housenbold

Pros
  • Opportunity to make an immediate impact in your area; good compensation; good work-life balance (in 19 reviews)

• Was a fun place to work - very cool products & solid management team (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes it can be very challenging when it comes to work-life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Mediocre benefits package - average salaries, weak bonus scheme, and no 401K match (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great work culture

I have been working at Shutterfly

Pros

Great agile teams to work

Cons

Learning problems of a growing company

Share more details of the how of achieving company goals

Great place to work

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Shutterfly

Pros

Flexibility, work- life balance, new technologies to learn

Cons

Personal growth - Not so much.

Happy Place to Work

I have been working at Shutterfly

Pros

I love working here. Everyone is friendly and always willing to help. I have never been happier at a job.

Cons

My personal con is the commute, but working for this company makes the commute totally worth it.

Creative and Fun

Former Employee - Freelance Content Designer in Redwood City, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Freelance Content Designer in Redwood City, CA (US)

I worked at Shutterfly

Pros

I've worked as a Designer at Shutterfly and it's very creative. No one micro manages and forces you to create a specific look and feel. Just create things that suits your own style. The team is fun and nice. We would hang out after work and on the weekends.

Cons

Very low pay for contractors.

Seasonal production

Former Employee - Seasonal Production in Shakopee, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Seasonal Production in Shakopee, MN (US)

I worked at Shutterfly full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Clean work environment, highly developed and tested production machinery, employee storage lockers, dining facility

Cons

I felt like a number and not a valued individual, no notice of discharge, bad communication between supervisor and subordinates, length of contract did not result out to what was initially discussed.

Not recommended

I have been working at Shutterfly full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free lunch on Wednesdays, free beverages and healthy snacks. Generous employee discounts. Casual office attire.

Cons

When I started training (if you can call it that...I watched someone else in my department do their job while talking through it very quickly, for about a half day before I was sent away to do my own thing), I was confused as to what job I had actually been hired for. Between what the hiring manager told me in my phone screening, what my direct manager told me in my interview, and what job actually was, I felt extremely misled. It's like they tell you the job is one thing so you'll take it, and once they've sucked you in and you're actually in the office, they let you know what you'll actually be doing, which is way different from what they initially said.

Paid time off is decent, but if you call in sick you get demerits. Beware of this demerits system. It's absolutely ridiculous. Holidays are confusing and I'm still not clear what days are off and what days are overtime pay, and no one seems to be able to confirm those details with me.

Be more clear with employees, and stop punishing your employees for being ill.

Great Company. Substantially lower pay-rates from when the original Shutterfly CEO was on-board.

Current Employee - Workfow Coordinator in Shakopee, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Workfow Coordinator in Shakopee, MN (US)

I have been working at Shutterfly as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Mostly, good people with a clean, safe, and cutting-edge work environment.

Cons

Pay is not excessive or competitive with companies in the same field or business.

Get away from trying to save money with so many temporary workers during the "busy season", or Q4 as it is referred to. Most workers from temp. agencies are not able to keep the high-quality that you need and should not be operating super high-tech and very expensive $1 Million+ machines, get a clue. Hire on the very best people that deserve the positions and have mastered the machines/processes, not the "yes men" and "boot-lickers" that you seem to hire most often...

Working for Shutterfly

Current Employee - Igen Press Operator in Fort Mill, SC (US)
    Current Employee - Igen Press Operator in Fort Mill, SC (US)

I have been working at Shutterfly full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

This is a strong company that takes care of their people. I worked for them for 8+ years and was able to grow with the company when it came to NC. It has strong core values . Shutterfly is a company that invest in their peoples success as well as thier own

Cons

Only 1 member of management that was disrespectful and rude .

Keep up the great work.

Very nice Company to work with, great culture.

Current Employee - Lead Data Warehouse Engineer in Redwood City, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Lead Data Warehouse Engineer in Redwood City, CA (US)

I have been working at Shutterfly as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I love the culture of the company. the people are nice, friendly and open. Your thoughts and ideas are valuable.

Cons

The package is decent, The culture is awesome, The team members I am working with are very helpful and available.

Worst company in the world

Former Employee - Production Designer in Tempe, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Production Designer in Tempe, AZ (US)

I worked at Shutterfly full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Coworkers are awesome! They managed to hire awesome people.

Cons

- Cold-blooded management level and CEO ignore the health of their employees during holiday peak season. We worked 70+ hours a week continously and they will lure the temporay employees to work hard by saying you'll have a chance to be hired as a permanent after that, but the permanent spots are extremely limited. Even if you turned permanent, they can let you go without notice when they don't need you in low season.

- I got tendonitis and almost got carpel tunnel from working crazy hours non-stop on the computer (I worked as a production designer). My trainer had a brace on her wrist all the time and see doctors for that. Even a coworker from the sales department got issues with her wrist because of continous web chat with customers (not sure if that's carpel tunnel or what). I heard that she turned into a permanent but was disposed of when low season came.

P.S. Because of the insane hours during peak season (10+ hours daily), employees only have a few hours to go home to sleep (maybe 4 hours?) and get back to work and won't have a chance to "meet" their families because of that. Scenes of families "united" on Sunday lunch breaks in the break room are still vivid in my memory.

P.S. 2 If you treasure your life and health, this is not a good place for you.

If you really cared about your employees, you should not let people work inhumane hours and should hire more people instead. That's actually illegal too. Someone could sue you for that.