Slalom Consulting

Updated 12 December 2014
4.4

Slalom Consulting CEO Brad Jackson
Brad Jackson

Pros
  • For those who want to take a balanced approach work-life balance is strongly supported (in 88 reviews)

• Great Culture; Interesting projects; Challenging work; Opportunities to grow and Choose your career path (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • It's also been a challenge to maintain work life balance as we've grown (in 9 reviews)

• Great flexible career path- but it is up to you to pick/choose where you want to go (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Part of something amazing....

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I love working with the people on our team. Everybody is incredibly passionate about what they do and focused on delivering amazing value for our clients. In addition, I feel like I'm helping to grow something that has really exciting potential.

Cons

The environment can be ambiguous and incredibly fluid. Things change all the time, and for those of us here that change is exciting. You need to be comfortable (and truthfully energized) by that type of environment.

Keep the focus on growing and developing the team (and the business) and Slalom Minneapolis will continue to be a great place to work!

Slalom Consulting Response

Dec 05, 2014Communications Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and enthusiasm. It's great to hear that you enjoy your coworkers and feel that you are delivering value to clients. Your insight regarding the ... More

Great company

Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great people, fairly good compensation, amazing work environment.

Cons

Benefits and vacation are clearly lacking behind industry standards

Revisit the vacation time policy.

Fun, hard working group, very serious about helping you excel

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I've been at this employer for a few months now and am still incredibly happy that I made the move. During the interview process I did a lot of due diligence around company reviews, asking questions of current employees, etc. and so far they have all proven to be true. Slalom is very focused on getting you to the next level, in whatever way makes sense for you - whether that's additional training, conferences, etc. the company from the start makes sure that you're focusing on looking for opportunities to grow.

Cons

I came from a large tech company, so the change in benefits is a bit of a bummer. 15 PTO days (combining sick and vacation) seems really low as a standard, especially for a company that excels in so many other areas.

Keep up the good work! Circling positive feedback is always appreciate it, and too many companies forget to do this these days.

Best company I have worked for

I have been working at Slalom Consulting

Pros

The people. The local model. The opportunities to contribute.

Cons

Limited and not worth noting.

Keep up the good work. Share the vision and rationale early and often.

Hard to Beat!

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time

Pros

Tops out work-life balance equation and focusing hard on Career Development paths
    Corporate Exec Leadership sincerely solicits and responds to feedback; approachable and grounded

Cons

Comp & Benefits needs a serious look if this is a place to retire (Base, PTO, Health, 401(k)... all need some serious work!)

Team based project work is not all it's about; I like being a senior-level trusted advisor and would like to see that emphasized too as it uplevels branding; not just about the 2 comma club. Balance Expansion and Growth with Comp and Benefits package to retain talent for the long-term.

interview process

I have been working at Slalom Consulting

Pros

Excellent interview process, in depth with information on company culture, expectations and potential

Cons

None really. Cant think of any

Very happy with my decision to join Slalom!

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Slalom Consulting

Pros

I value working for a company where everyone has experience to bring to the table and a story to tell about the journey they have taken to find Slalom. As part of the a growing market/office, I have enjoyed the entrepreneurial spirit with the backing of a national office. I have really enjoyed being on smaller, quick delivery projects that add immediate value to our clients and look forward to growing into medium sized projects as our office grows and sells more business.

I love the group of people I work with! Even when out at clients we stay connected with each other through social media, quarterly meetings, lunches, happy hours and others.

Cons

Vacation is only 3 weeks which is not that great. 401K match is terrible.

Hold onto the great mix of diverse employees we currently have in the Minneapolis office. Having a balance of women/men, experienced hires/younger career, experience from consulting with industry experience, etc ... has added great dimension to our office.

Great leadership opportunities. Veteran consultants who enjoy the local model. Good culture.

Current Employee - Consultant in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting

Pros

Good people, pay, benefits, and culture. Career path opportunities have improved. Local model is great for those tired of the plane travel. Good choice for mid-career focused consultant looking for leadership position (bigger fish in a smaller pond.)

Cons

More established markets always appear better connected to the company. Lots more younger, less experienced consultants (trying-to-consult) getting hired. Just 'cuz your title says you are, doesn't make you one. Still relatively unknown and often thought of as a staff aug firm.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Technology Consultant in Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Technology Consultant in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great place to working strong individuals and learn from them. They have a strong practices and have major business partners in a variety of industries

Cons

It have be a little touch of go, pulling in long hours at times, turnover does happen more frequently than a company in industry, but that is the nature of the consulting business.

Great Consulting Gig

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

No-travel consulting with awesome leadership and phenomenal growth. Interesting projects. Get to meet people from different consulting backgrounds. The combination of management consulting and technical consulting makes it an exciting place to work.

Cons

Some work is not Project based.

Shift focus from growth to creating a solid consulting practice. Improve benefits.