Slalom Consulting

Updated 19 September 2014
4.3

Slalom Consulting CEO Brad Jackson
Brad Jackson

Pros
  • Work-life balance is a priority and you can truly can go and grow at your own speed (in 61 reviews)

• Great culture and management listens to employees (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Staff Aug everywhere even when they say it's not it is what it is (in 16 reviews)

• A lot of roles fall in the "staff augmentation" category (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Haven't looked back once, no regrets, can't wait for more!

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've been at Slalom Boston for over a year, and it's been fantastic. No regrets, I am still thankful to this day that the amazing recruiters decided to reach out to me! I've been staffed on some good projects, new tech, impressive clients, and challenging tasks. I love being pushed professionally, and even a little personally, and the team in this Boston office delivers. The atmosphere is loaded with "can-do" with a topping of "go for it". Truly entrepreneurial, with a huge push for work/life balance (well deserved awards over and over again). If you have the opportunity to join Slalom in any market, don't be stupid, you have to join.

Cons

Career paths are blurry right now, but if you know what you want, you can get it. Also, internal programs are underway to improve. More top-down communications/transparency at the market level would be ideal, would like clearer definition of vision and goals for the office and my practice.

Keep it going! What we have here is special, and I'm thankful for it. Next SOTO let's talk vision and goals, where do we want to be and how do we want to get there? I vaguely remember hearing about this, so maybe more communications/reminders (central location so I can peruse it at will) of our vision and goals ;)

Slalom Consulting Response

Sep 19, 2014President & Co-founder, North America

This is John Tobin. Thanks for your feedback. It's great to see the Boston office continue to grow and mature. I'm glad you see that some of the internal Boston-specific programs are starting to ... More

Slalom cares for their employees and sends them on engaging projects

Current Employee - Consultant  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Slalom Culture is amazing - Numerous original, creative events, amazing people who aren't jerks
    The work here is great - Slalom sends consultants on engaging projects that make a difference for their clients.

Cons

Slalom's PTO policy is not as generous as some competitors offering 3 weeks vacation. Slalom's 401k match is not very generous.

Improve benefits (PTO, 401k match) and provide more robust training/development opportunities.

Would work here again!

Former Employee - Internal Employee  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Internal Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Slalom Consulting full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great company culture; senior management cares about its employees; fun benefits (annual retreat, prizes, social opportunities/activities); work with really smart people; great "family" feel; great values; fast paced and growth oriented company

Cons

A lot of focus is placed on developing the consultant (career development, compensation, bonus structure, etc) and not a lot of attention is given to employees who are internal to the company (non-consultant). There aren't as many growth opportunities for non-consultants.

Look for ways to include everyone as the company grows (i.e. focus on the consultant and internal employees)

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Come work with hard working, passionate individuals

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time for more than a year

Pros

Slalom has allowed me to have a sense of independence I enjoyed when self-employed, and at the same time given me the support, drive, and sense of community I have enjoyed about working at a company. My experience with my team and management has been a very positive one, with honest interest from my boss on whether I am happy with my client, work and team, and a shared sense of responsibility for my career growth.

Slalom has some great perks, such as the 4 week paid sabbatical once reached 3 years/6k billable hours, some nice training and self-education resources, and a great support network across the organization.

My experience at Slalom has been a positive one, with management very interactive, interested in retaining consultants and understanding what is and is not working around the office. Slalom is very thoughtful in their hiring process, and therefore very invested in you and your happiness as an employee.

Cons

Not a large amount of paid time off; greater diversity within management is needed; while a lot of opportunities to participate in "non-billable" internal projects, business development, and "fun" office activities, often can become challenge to do all and balance with billable time.

An amazing place to work

I have been working at Slalom Consulting

Pros

A Great place to work, amazing culture.

Cons

Need to diversify management structure.

Need to diversify management structure.

Love it!

Current Employee - Consulting Manager  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Consulting Manager in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time for less than a year

Pros

The company has a real spirit. Employees are happy to be here and challenged to do great innovative work. Everything promised in the interviews is true - this is the real deal!

Cons

Can't think of anything just yet!

Never lose this spirit!

I thought I loved what I did before...

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time for less than a year

Pros

Tremendous dedication to work life balance
    Interesting project. Not just the typical bland enterprise application / staff aug. work you find at a lot of other firms.
    Given opportunity to discover and become experienced in a range of technologies and not forced to be pigeon holed into one stack.
    Given honest and constructive reviews as part of career advancement.
    Very smart and interesting people. There's no sense of I have to be smarter than everyone else and have to show it off in order to get ahead.
    No travel and I can be at home with my family.

Cons

Not entirely sure how career advancement works before moving up to leadership roles. We have a pretty flat structure and don't have a sense of milestones to work towards before moving up to the next level. That said, I don't feel like I'll be 'stuck' by any means. I'm rather confident I'll be in a forward and upward position a year from now. The lack of structure here just might be jarring to someone expecting it.

Keep doing what you're doing.
    I love that I can come into work and comfortably strike up a conversation with anyone from leadership right on down to the consulting level.
    There's a good vision for where we are and where we want to be.
    There's been a lot of hard work to create this culture and I hope its maintained and keeps getting better.

My time at Slalom consulting could not have been better.

Current Employee - Human Resources Intern  in  Buckhead, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Human Resources Intern in Buckhead, GA (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting as an intern for less than a year

Pros

- Training
    - Workplace Environment
    - Co-Workers
    - Employee Appreciation

Cons

-Parking Situation could be better

I honestly feel upper level management does a great job.

More concerned with staff augmentation than delivering great work

Former Employee - Consultant  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Consultant in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at Slalom Consulting full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Slalom's salary, bonus, professional development, and consultant sabbatical programs are very competitive and attractive. The corporate culture is very much like a fraternity—the positive of which is always a great Christmas party, an all-expense-paid trip (including spouses and spices) in the Spring, and quartet events and happy hours throughout the year.

Cons

The work environment is often very hostile and even abusive at times. Consultant successes are rarely recognized but even minor infractions and hearsay are given great volume in Slalom's negative-focuses review process. Several employees, myself included, have even endured personal attacks on our character and families as a result of perceived performance issues at work. Managers are instructed to downgrade employee ratings and peer-reviews are dismissed out of hand. The sales and leadership teams don't demonstrate a good understanding of much of the work they're selling—specifically user experience and custom development work—and tend to see all the practitioners of these disciplines as interchangeable despite their specializations. Much greater emphasis is given to "butts-in-seats" billable time than to the quality of the deliverables. Criticism and collaboration are often discouraged and the work, frankly, shows it. There are some incredibly talented people at Slalom that could be doing much better work in a more constructive and less hostile environment. The company is also driven by people who espouse, but do not live, work-life balance. The result is a difficult environment for employees with families or aiming to have families. There is also little or no room for career growth outside of the sales path.

Consider the quality of the deliverable over the time spent on project—more money can be made of excellence in delivery than in staff augmentation. The calibre of consultant your looking to hire and keep expects benefits like competitive PTO, flexible scheduling, and better appreciation of work-life balance. Be less of a car dealership and more of a tech company.

Slalom Consulting Response

Sep 19, 2014President & Co-founder, North America

This is John Tobin - Thanks for providing the feedback and I will definitely share this with various leaders especially in the Atlanta office. One of the things we are working on is having more ... More

TRIM THE FAT and pass it to the worker bees!

Current Employee - Consultant  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

People are top notch and just plain fun and interesting. I feel supported at my client and pushed to deliver great results.

Cons

Internal folks are unaccounted for . Consultants work their fingers off only to find that a few internal folks are paid 40 hours a week but don't work it yet are still reaping the benefits of the worker bees. Let's live up to "Always do Right." Sign-me up for full time pay where working part time is acceptable. It's discouraging and makes me seek the smaller leaner firms. Would hate to leave but I don't want my pay to be funding unproductive overhead. Oh, are we really employee owned....I am an employee and don't see ownership.

John and Tony need to look at their people and make sure folks know how to account for their hours...perhaps the extra cycles could be spent on billable work so folks know what it is like to be in the field. How about giving consultants Friday afternoon's off...PAID!

Worked for Slalom Consulting? Contribute to the Community!