Slalom Consulting

Updated 30 October 2014
4.3

Slalom Consulting CEO Brad Jackson
Brad Jackson

Pros
  • For those who want to take a balanced approach work-life balance is strongly supported (in 84 reviews)

• Great Culture, strong consultants, pushing towards a services oriented model placing teams to deliver results to clients (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Staff Aug everywhere even when they say it's not it is what it is (in 16 reviews)

• Too much staff augmentation projects (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Consulting the way it SHOULD be

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Slalom has figured out the consulting model that satisfies both employees and clients. An amazing culture that focuses first and foremost on doing the right thing is a rare find in consulting. This value creates collaboration rather than competition internally and builds major credibility with clients who understand we want to be true business partners, not just sell them a service or product they may or may not need. Leaders are expected to put people first which creates a culture where everyone is seeking ways to improve and help each other rather than boost one's own career at the expense of others.

Cons

Growth spurts can occasionally put a stress on the culture as new hires need time to acclimate to the collaborative culture and shed some of the undesirable habits that may have led to success at other consulting firms. PTO is also lower than other consulting firms, but the fact that average work weeks are much more reasonable than typical consulting firms helps to balance that out.

Be cautious of growth for the sake of growth. Continue to keep the bar high for incoming talent and give them time to acclimate to Slalom's unique approach to consulting. Maintain a focus on developing existing talent even further.

Slalom enables me to pursue all of my passions - in and out of work.

Current Employee - Client Partner
    Current Employee - Client Partner

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time

Pros

Local delivery model is valuable to our clients, our consultants and our community. I am able to do interesting and innovative consulting work at meaningful clients, while also being involved in my children's lives, participate in my community and give back. The breadth of services offered by Slalom makes our services relevant to almost any client, significantly opening the aperture of where we can add value.

Cons

While our organization is relatively flat, as we grow we are adding in certain process areas that can be cumbersome. The good news is that our growth and expansion requires a greater level of process, the down side is that it feels less startup-like.

Continuing to enhance our cross-market interactions and capabilities, including our national team growth, will continue to enhance Slalom's allure to senior consulting professionals. To be able to sell, plan and execute a large global project without having to get on an airplane is a tremendous feat!

Oct 30, 2014Communications Manager

Thanks for your feedback. It's fantastic that our culture, clients and your colleagues are elements of Slalom that you find valuable. Your advice around continuing to enhance cross-market ... More

Great culture, great people, and great work-life balance!

Current Employee - Internal Operations in Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Internal Operations in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture and clear company goals and path. Consultants work where they live - no unwanted travel. Great company events every quarter including an annual retreat to a destination in Texas (+1s welcome!). Internal focus on career growth and training opportunities available. Fun and voluntary activities outside of the office (sports teams, book clubs, etc.). Lots of community involvement opportunities as well.

Cons

Although consultant paths are more clearly defined, Internal (operational roles) are not as clearly defined in the past. However, I've seen this change in the right direction as of late and look forward to seeing roles and paths more clearly defined.

As we grow don't let culture take a back seat.

Oct 30, 2014Communications Manager

Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts. Sounds like the culture and structure (as well as the perks) of Slalom are working for you. Thank you for your advice around defining internal ... More

Excited about the future

Current Employee - Client Service Lead in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Client Service Lead in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Slalom has experienced tremendous growth over the years, but through it all our values truly stick. We are a company who truly lives our values vs. just writing them down and looking at them on a wall. Do the right thing always! Stay humble! Smile! Build and shape a better future! etc. Slalom wants to truly help their clients, communities and employees be amazing.

Cons

Need to win and execute more global scale implementations to compete where we want to be competing.

Never stop living the values.

Great balance of project and work life integration

Current Employee - Business Development Executive in Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Business Development Executive in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great leadership.
    Strong vision for the future.
    Really happy with the forethought the most senior leaders have with respect to the direction of the company.
    Good project work mixed with some strategic staffing work.

Cons

Sometimes the long term vision for the strategy of the individual, project, office or company isn't well disseminated leading to a feeling of just being staffed in an individual contributor role. As I've seen and learned more about the long term vision I better understand where I, my local and and the firm is headed it makes those assignments more understandable.

Develop your up and coming leaders before it's too late to do so.
    Keep diversifying and including!

Oct 30, 2014Communications Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your insights around both the positives of working at Slalom and the areas where work is still needed. Your feedback regarding both communicating the long term ... More

People and Company Culture are Top Notch.

Current Employee - Consultant in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The people and culture are hands down the best I've ever experienced in the consulting industry. In any industry, for that matter.

Cons

If you're looking for someone to hold your hand in terms of career development, look elsewhere. Slalom is great at providing a framework for career growth, plenty of learning opportunities, and outlining what it thinks are the minimum success factors and proficiency levels to advance in your career, but if you need a company that will set the course for you and dictate a timeline in which you need to achieve growth, you won't find it at Slalom. At Slalom, the sky's the limit, but it's up to every consultant to seek out and pursue growth opportunities.

Oct 30, 2014Communications Manager

Thank you for your insights. They will no doubt be helpful to those considering the pursuit of a career with Slalom. It's great to hear that you consider the culture and people to be the best in the ... More

Incredible Company

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Manager in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Manager in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Amazing career growth opportunities
    -Fair pay
    -Intelligent employees
    -Consultant focused culture

Cons

The benefits and PTO could be improved.

Oct 30, 2014Communications Manager

Thanks for posting a review. Glad to hear that you consider Slalom an "incredible" place. That's awesome. Your feedback regarding PTO and benefits will be passed up to leadership. If you have any ... More

What a great place to work!

Current Employee - Practice Area Director in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Practice Area Director in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (less than an year)

Pros

1. Positive work environment where employees are valued, appreciated and challenged to grow and develop.
    2. The people- the team of people who I get to work with are amazing. I value having the ability to work with smart, dedicated people who are fun and willing to assist new team members.
    3. Culture- the company has a positive energy and it is enjoyable to be in the office. I love playing shuffle board and having a drink with colleagues in our kitchen at the end of a hard day.
    4. Entrepreneurial environment where the team is able to take chances and grow the business

Cons

1. 401K match is low
    2. PTO is low

Keep up the good work and make sure to maintain the positive environment as to company continues to grow.

Oct 30, 2014Communications Manager

Thank you for sharing your feedback. It's great to see that you value the culture, people and entrepreneurial environment of Slalom. I ensure that your feedback regarding PTO and 401k benefits, as ... More

Fast growing firm with passionate employees and great opportunities

Current Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Employee owned firm that is full of passionate, high character employees who truly represent the highest performing consultants at their craft. The culture Slalom fosters is incredibly unique. With a focus on a core set of values, our people lead by example and with humility with a sincere effort to make a positive impact with our clients and our communities. Finally - there is a great balance of making sure we are a sound, successful business that also makes sure we do not take ourselves too seriously - plenty of fun and great options such as our company paid retreats, sabbaticals, high energy quarterly meetings and social events.

Cons

The firm is experiencing a high level of growth - growing 35% annually for the last 10 years. Slalom is not perfect and as we grow, we continue to need to make sure our growth does not take away the intimate people first culture here. But - when things are bending a bit - it feels like we continue to get re-grounded into our principles. Also - this is a great place for someone who enjoys the turns of a great journey - vs being in a predictable box.

Make sure we continue to provide opportunities to grow for employees in many different ways - and continue to make sure every single employee is valued. Continue to get feedback from our employees to make sure we are building the best firm we can.

Oct 30, 2014Communications Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. It sounds like the Core Values resonate strongly with you and that the culture fostered by our clients and colleagues is something you value ... More

Application Development Consultant

Current Employee - Consultant in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (less than an year)

Pros

While the company is new to the Local Market (Houston), the local office has the support of the National Network of Consultants and the backing of Corporate Management.

They really care about their clients and consultant and truly do believe in work and family balance.

Cons

New to Local Market (Houston), so growth takes presistance, planning and patience. However, we are seeing the growth is a remarkable way.