Sleep Number by Select Comfort

Sleep Number by Select Comfort Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Sleep Number by Select Comfort President & CEO Shelly Ibach

Shelly Ibach

Pros
  • Great product with great concept and innovative product(in 16 reviews)

• Flexibility in work/life balance depending on what area of the company you are in(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Horrible upper management starting with District Managers(in 14 reviews)

• Upper management not in touch with sales people(in 12 reviews)

Great products...promising future!

Private (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN (US)

ProsAfter the exciting introduction of the new bed at CES, I am feeling re-energized and excited about our future.

Cons2013 was a tough year...glad to get it behind us.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpower leaders at all levels to make decisions...you have a talented and capable team.

Good retail job...

Store Manager (Former Employee) Baltimore, MD (US)

ProsIf you like making people's lives better and love sales, it's a great place to work. Job load is fairly easy once you get products down. Hours stay consistent throughout the year unlike a lot of other retailers.

ConsNot a lot of room to move up.

Former Store Manager

Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGreat products, strong family-like store environment, good pay

ConsBusiness leadership not the best in past few years, changes with upper level management not making the smartest decisions

Advice to Senior ManagementYou get what you pay for and those of us that stuck in there and brought the company back from desperate times a few years back should be respected and appreciated for our service, not let go because me are costing you a little bit more money each month. We were worth what were paid

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Client driven company, Heavy push on sales force.

Sleep Professional (Former Employee) Sacramento, CA (US)

ProsGreat product with great concept and innovative product. Customers are the main asset to this company. Sleep Number does really care about customers and their sleep/health.

ConsCommission structure is tiered and set to where its tough to jump in to the next tier to actually get that desired paycheck. Years past the goals were more realistic but goal hikes have made it very tough to achieve 100%. Benefits are very minimal and lead generation can be tough when you are standing at the door in the mall.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave marketing do a better job at getting new and old customers in the door rather than rely on cold calling old and cold leads all day

Inclusive and rewarding at the beginning of my career there, however in recent years exactly opposite.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN (US)

ProsFlexibility in work/life balance depending on what area of the company you are in.

ConsLeaders with their own agendas, lack of vision.

Advice to Senior ManagementAct upon poor employee engagement scores, share a vision with clear expectations, hold employees accountable.

Fantastic store manager, but the District Manager played by his own set of rules.

Sleep Expert (Former Employee) DFW, TX (US)

ProsI loved my job, I looked forward to the busiest and most hectic times of year, and my store manager was one of the best men I knew. I gave my time and energy and stayed after hours for major floor sets when other employees would take off because they couldn't be bothered. I made good money and and reached my annual goal 110%+. I was promoted to Sleep Expert in less than two years, which required achieving above and beyond sales goals.

ConsSuddenly, it wasn't so fun to come to work and sell anymore. It became less about making your sales goal and selling beds than it became about selling $150 pillows with a high return rate. I could sell 100s of dollars in sheets, and it didn't matter because it wasn't 200% pillow sales! which was outrageous. The pressure cooker we became trapped in was awful and between the opening of a nearby location that cannibalized much of the more affluent customer base, and major construction on a very nearby highway, expectations became more outrageous with each passing month and impossible to meet. The district manager decided he wanted an all-new staff at our location, in spite of closing out 2011 with the highest December numbers in years.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome of us that worked for your company loved our job, loved our work environment, stayed extra hours during pivotal times, and supervised store remodels that went horribly awry because of the contractors involved, and not through any fault of our own. I never got over losing my job at Sleep Number, because I had been so happy there. I trusted my manager, and my coworkers and that is something you do not often find in a commission sales environment. I closed 2011 with the top volume in my store. There were employees in the district who had sales percentages comparable to mine, but were not dismissed the way I was. I was not a thief, I was utterly dependable, always on time, willing to work 11+ hour days, and my manager considered me his right hand. Beyond the confines of the store, there simply was not an atmosphere of fairness.

Sleep Professional

Sleep Professional (Former Employee)

ProsThe good about Sleep Number is that the store only had a few employees and they were all quality teammates. For that reason, you gained exceptional friends as well. Also, Sleep Number has created a distinct and recognizable brand that has a loyal following from their customers. There were many times when people that owned and loved their beds would stop by and give an impromptu testimonial while I was talking with a potential customers.

ConsThe bad of of working as a sales professional at Sleep Number is that there were days when the store wouldn't have one customer come to store. If and when a customer came to buy there was a 1 in four chance that the customer would be yours. Sometimes the numbers fall in your favor and many times they didn't. With foot traffic being so slow at times, the line between sales professional and telemarketer become blurred. There were days when a minimum of 25 calls to a list of customers was expected. Lastly, to say that the systems that are used are outdated would be an understatement.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpdate the systems.

Store Manager

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNo pro's anymore. I can't really say anything good. Previously the place was professional. Not any longer.

ConsHigh degree of hiring based on "family". This hurt sales and teams. Many store Managers/Sleep Pros kept around even when habitual drug use was an issue. You can be an alcoholic or drug user and still work at Sleep Number.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't make others work with such issues as stated above.

Honestly, the WORST leadership I have ever experienced

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Broomfield, CO (US)

ProsNone really. Except may some good quality co-workers.

ConsSelect Comfort wants to control everything you do. Sales goals are the only focus. Next to never promotions from within the company. Independent thinking is frowned upon, just do as you are told. Most upper management is out of touch with the stores and have little to no interpersonal skills. Have lost countless good quality people because of poor leadership and the wrong people in management. Here it is: when you have management who use themselves as the standard, and that standard is incompetent, you multiply that incompetentcy over and over. Just ask any ex-employee. Selling high end product is not easy and the company could care less if you leave. This is the truth folks.

Advice to Senior ManagementResign and start over with good quality people in all management postions

Great Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsHaving customers come back to you and tell you how much they love their new bed and how much better they feel after getting the sleep they were looking for.

ConsGoal expectations were jumped way up over the previous years numbers which made it exceptionally hard to reach.

Sleep Number by Select Comfort Human Capital responded to this review

Nov 22, 2013

Thank you for your review! It's great to see that you experienced first hand how customers benefit from the Sleep Number bed.

Worked for Sleep Number by Select Comfort? Contribute to the Community!