Sleep Number by Select Comfort

Sleep Number by Select Comfort Reviews

Updated Apr 12, 2014

Sleep Number by Select Comfort President & CEO Shelly Ibach

Shelly Ibach

Pros:
  • "Great product with great concept and innovative product"
    in 11 reviews
  • "I get to help people improve their lives (and sometimes save marriages) by improving the quailty of their sleep"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "Most upper management is out of touch with the stores and have little to no interpersonal skills"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Most District Managers are out of touch and can destroy you and your store if they want"
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Overworked, under appreciated, horrific work/life balance

Customer Service Supervisor (Former Employee)
Plymouth, MN (US)

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time for more than 8 years

ProsI had met some of the most wonderful non management employees at this company.

ConsThe company lost it's direction approx. 8 years ago when it thought it was a large corporation. The compan has hired some of the most worthless people to run it. The VP's/ CEO(s) deny issues with the product and created a profit center with their warranty. The product has been redesigned to not last. If it lasts... how do they make money? They are horrid to their call center employees from customer service and now making their way into sales.

Advice to Senior ManagementStep down. You have all ruined the company. Know your employees, treat them right. You have lost the best employees you could have asked for.

Run like the wind

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Manchester, NH (US)

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time for less than a year

ProsSleep Number offers a very good product. Customers who own the product are very satisfied with their purchase and do recommend it to their friends & families.

ConsMicro managed cult mentality. District Managers egos out of control. The company as a whole cares little of it's employees and are very petty in they're "management" approach.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop wasting money. Cease & desist the ridiculous redundancy in paperwork. If you would care to stop the never ending revolving door of retail employees.....I can help you.....but I cannot help you if you're stupid!

Do NOT work there

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Boston, MA (US)

ProsIt is most difficult to find twenty words for Pros on working for this company, whereas there are no Pros.

ConsThey have taken a very good product, and have turned their sales approach into a 3 pronged outdated and obnoxious system. One third carnival barker at the OZ.....one third boiler room telemarketing, harassing current owners of their product....the other third ....actually selling the bed....all the while brow beating customers into the highest margin add ons....

Advice to Senior ManagementHand in your resignations

Great product, shifting culture focused on promoting women and 100% managing by spreadsheet.

Store Manager (Current Employee)
Indianapolis, IN (US)

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time for more than 8 years

ProsFantastic pay for retail made over $90,000 in good years 45-50 hours a week. Good product when you work for a good DM, you life work balance is great.

ConsConstant change, upper management is so out of touch. The expectations are shifting forcing managers to be in store long hours without productive things to do. With the new CEO as of 2012 we have seen a consistent slide in work life balance, sales, and employee incomes. The CEO has not taken any personal responsibility for her actions and has fired multiple people for carrying out her directives and them not working. She let numerous seasoned managers to and replaced each with a female usually under qualified.

Cult like environment, "we don't sell beds we change lives, if people don't get that find people that do."

Advice to Senior ManagementShelly, find the right CEO and step back into a marketing and operations roll before we end up with a single digit stock price. If you make a mistake don't fire people, take responsibility and move on.

Finally, don't be so worried about promoting women, get the right people in the right roles.

typical retail job

Sleep Professional (Current Employee)
Phoenix, AZ (US)

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time for more than a year

Prosyou can make more than your typical retail job because of commission structure .

Consbad management , long hours , company has been struggling to hold its position in the mattress market.

Advice to Senior Managementhire managers who know how to manage

AVOID AT ALL COSTS! WORST COMPANY EVER!

Quilter Operator (Current Employee)
Irmo, SC (US)

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time for more than 10 years

ProsSelect Comfort has a great product.

ConsEmployees are taught play dirty against coworkers to get ahead by watching as it is continuously rewarded by leadership leading to the Lobster Syndrome of tearing one another down throughout the organization. The result of bad leadership is low morale, high turnover, and a decreased ability to have any sustainable success.

Advice to Senior ManagementBad leadership is felt throughout the entire organization of Select Comfort all the way from the east to the west coast. Corporate culture has become a meaningless term where leaders claim it exists while employees shake their heads in frustration. I guess the Leadership of the company doesn't care or reads these reviews, because we continue to head down the wrong path year after year. What will it take to turn this company around? The employees are clueless.

Good place to work for many years now not so much at least for Inside phone sales positions

Sales Representative (Current Employee)
Plymouth, MN (US)

ProsBenefits ok fellow employees great good working conditions.

ConsCommission structure in constant flux goals much too high for the call volume. Company not supporting the phone sales people at all the focus is on sending people to the stores or the website only.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees sometimes they do know things that can help you. Surveys have been done several times with similar results each time but little action to correct the problems.

Good product but big corporation that circles the wagons if you report anything to anyone

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort

ProsGood potential to make money with a good product.

ConsMost District Managers are out of touch and can destroy you and your store if they want. Corporate will back any upper management person - right or wrong. Never go to HR with a complaint. Too bad such a vindictive company wont listen to the people in the trenches.

Advice to Senior ManagementCheck how many previous managers have held the perspective position in the last 5 years. That's the best you'll do.

great store atmosphere

Store Manager (Former Employee)
Bloomington, MN (US)

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time for more than a year

Proseveryone is so friendly and the customers are really happy when they leave

Conssalary is low but the economy is bad...

Advice to Senior Managementtalk to your staff more, be personable

It was a great 6 years

Store Manager (Former Employee)
Akron, OH (US)

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat pay, and great time dealing with customers

ConsThe mall hours are long and even longer in the holidays. When I worked there a lot of changes, but things have improved over time for them

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep improving.

Worked for Sleep Number by Select Comfort? Contribute to the Community!

Sleep Number by Select Comfort Videos

Sleep Number by Select Comfort – Why Work for Us?

We are Sleep Number. And for over 25 years, we’ve been changing the way the world sleeps—one person, one experience at a time. Based in Minneapolis, Minnesota, we are the designers, manufacturers, marketers and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sleep Number by Select Comfort reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Sleep Number by Select Comfort CEO Shelly Ibach. All 117 reviews are posted anonymously by Sleep Number by Select Comfort employees.