Sleep Number by Select Comfort

Updated 15 September 2014
2.8

Sleep Number by Select Comfort President & CEO Shelly Ibach
Shelly Ibach

Pros
  • Great product with great concept and innovative product (in 16 reviews)

• Flexibility in work/life balance depending on what area of the company you are in (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Horrible upper management starting with District Managers (in 14 reviews)

• Upper management not in touch with sales people (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Good while it lasted

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Asheville, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Asheville, NC (US)

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Helping people get a better nights sleep

Cons

The corporate side of the business does not care about what is happening at a store level. Retail hours. Most of the stores are in malls.

Felt I was walking on egg shells the 7 yrs I was there.

Great place to build a career

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Irmo, SC (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irmo, SC (US)

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

First of all, the product is great. I have and always will be a fan of the Sleep Number bed. The company itself has a great management team who encourages employees to do their best and promote them based off of their strengths. I personally wouldn't be where I'm at if it wasn't for my 10+ years with this organization. They are well structured throughout, offer great benefits, and offer very competitive pay as well.

Cons

There's not many to list. It can be difficult to move up within the manufacturing facilities due to the overall lack of staff positions, which is to be expected with any company.

Keep doing what you're doing!

Sleep Number by Select Comfort Response

Mar 14, 2014Human Capital

Thank you for your review. It is great to read your positive feelings towards Sleep Number, and thank you for spending 10 years with us!

Management Heart in the Right Place, but Poor Execution

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time for more than a year

Pros

Still has a small company feel even with steady growth. Product innovation is highly encouraged.

Cons

Limited opportunity for movement.
    R&D time seems too rushed.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sleep Number has come a long way from days past.

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort

Pros

The company is continuing to move in the right place.

Cons

Pay your managers more salary.

Great products...promising future!

Current Employee - Private  in  Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Private in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

After the exciting introduction of the new bed at CES, I am feeling re-energized and excited about our future.

Cons

2013 was a tough year...glad to get it behind us.

Empower leaders at all levels to make decisions...you have a talented and capable team.

Good retail job...

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Baltimore, MD (US)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Baltimore, MD (US)

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you like making people's lives better and love sales, it's a great place to work. Job load is fairly easy once you get products down. Hours stay consistent throughout the year unlike a lot of other retailers.

Cons

Not a lot of room to move up.

Inclusive and rewarding at the beginning of my career there, however in recent years exactly opposite.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexibility in work/life balance depending on what area of the company you are in.

Cons

Leaders with their own agendas, lack of vision.

Act upon poor employee engagement scores, share a vision with clear expectations, hold employees accountable.

Former Store Manager

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great products, strong family-like store environment, good pay

Cons

Business leadership not the best in past few years, changes with upper level management not making the smartest decisions

You get what you pay for and those of us that stuck in there and brought the company back from desperate times a few years back should be respected and appreciated for our service, not let go because me are costing you a little bit more money each month. We were worth what were paid

Client driven company, Heavy push on sales force.

Former Employee - Sleep Professional  in  Sacramento, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Sleep Professional in Sacramento, CA (US)

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great product with great concept and innovative product. Customers are the main asset to this company. Sleep Number does really care about customers and their sleep/health.

Cons

Commission structure is tiered and set to where its tough to jump in to the next tier to actually get that desired paycheck. Years past the goals were more realistic but goal hikes have made it very tough to achieve 100%. Benefits are very minimal and lead generation can be tough when you are standing at the door in the mall.

Have marketing do a better job at getting new and old customers in the door rather than rely on cold calling old and cold leads all day

Fantastic store manager, but the District Manager played by his own set of rules.

Former Employee - Sleep Expert  in  DFW, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Sleep Expert in DFW, TX (US)

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I loved my job, I looked forward to the busiest and most hectic times of year, and my store manager was one of the best men I knew. I gave my time and energy and stayed after hours for major floor sets when other employees would take off because they couldn't be bothered. I made good money and and reached my annual goal 110%+. I was promoted to Sleep Expert in less than two years, which required achieving above and beyond sales goals.

Cons

Suddenly, it wasn't so fun to come to work and sell anymore. It became less about making your sales goal and selling beds than it became about selling $150 pillows with a high return rate. I could sell 100s of dollars in sheets, and it didn't matter because it wasn't 200% pillow sales! which was outrageous. The pressure cooker we became trapped in was awful and between the opening of a nearby location that cannibalized much of the more affluent customer base, and major construction on a very nearby highway, expectations became more outrageous with each passing month and impossible to meet. The district manager decided he wanted an all-new staff at our location, in spite of closing out 2011 with the highest December numbers in years.

Some of us that worked for your company loved our job, loved our work environment, stayed extra hours during pivotal times, and supervised store remodels that went horribly awry because of the contractors involved, and not through any fault of our own. I never got over losing my job at Sleep Number, because I had been so happy there. I trusted my manager, and my coworkers and that is something you do not often find in a commission sales environment. I closed 2011 with the top volume in my store. There were employees in the district who had sales percentages comparable to mine, but were not dismissed the way I was. I was not a thief, I was utterly dependable, always on time, willing to work 11+ hour days, and my manager considered me his right hand. Beyond the confines of the store, there simply was not an atmosphere of fairness.

Worked for Sleep Number by Select Comfort? Contribute to the Community!