Sleep Number by Select Comfort

Sleep Number by Select Comfort Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Sleep Number by Select Comfort President & CEO Shelly Ibach

Shelly Ibach

Pros
  • Great product with great concept and innovative product (in 16 reviews)

• Flexibility in work/life balance depending on what area of the company you are in (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Horrible upper management starting with District Managers (in 14 reviews)

• Upper management not in touch with sales people (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Home Deliver7

Home Deliver (Current Employee) Portland, OR (US)

ProsOk its an ok job, lack of tools, great co workers, ok pay

Consnot the best pay, ok job, not the worst job, ok job, ok pay

Advice to Senior ManagementGive guys most tools have lots of fun

Local management can make or break your experience

Sleep Associate (Former Employee)

Prosfun, competitive, liked working trade shows, got to meet a lot of people

Consrules changed by the day, goals are outrageous, not team oriented

Advice to Senior Managementbe consistent, be fair, be positive, give reinforcement, train your employees, don't hang them out to dry

Nov 22, 2013Human Capital

Thank you for providing feedback on your experience as a Sleep Number employee!

Great working environment--I wish I'd found Sleep Number years ago

Human Resources (Current Employee) Plymouth, MN (US)

ProsI've been working for Sleep Number for just over a year. It has been a wonderful place to work and I only wish I'd found it much sooner than I did. The hiring process can be a bit demanding and they are very selective, but if you can get in the door, do it! Compensation and benefits are great. Work is rewarding and valued. I love coming into work!

• Environment is clean, modern, and well-kept
    • Colleagues are a joy to work with
    • Innovative culture makes it easy to stay excited about working here
    • I'm valued for my individual strengths
    • Great work-life balance
    • Supportive culture

Cons• Some of upper management sometimes feels a little out of touch with the "worker bees" -- it might do them good to build rapport beyond their direct reports

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Older employees

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe company pay is very good.

ConsThe company will find a reason to terminate you once you reach a certain age.

Oct 31, 2013Human Capital

Thank you for sharing your opinion on glassdoor. I’m sorry to see your perception about our termination practices. Sleep Number strictly prohibits any form of unlawful discrimination, including ... More

What happened?!

Sales Associate (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsGood, but very overpriced product. Helping people sleep better and improve lives in some cases.

ConsCan be incredibly boring, can go hours to whole days without a customer. While the CEO can blame poor sales on the economic climate, we are blamed for lack of sales . Very little advertising, endless phone calls to the same disinterested call lists. Constantly coming out with new, over priced "innovations" that invariably fail, todays greatest product ever is next year's discontinued item. District managers rule by intimidation, and while managers are generally coddled, have the best schedules and lower goals, they have the same amount of time on the floor, and compete for their own sales, and care little for their staff'success.Sales goals unrealistic. The only way to make any money is to be 140% to goal, and tiers are not retroactive to dollar one.Feel the company is in a free fall,and and the future is bleak.

Advice to Senior ManagementMakes sales goals realistic, stop the intimidation and micro managing, make the pay scale a
     true tiered system,lower prices, advertise,Stop the over emphasis on sales of $200 pillows and $1700 heating-cooling mattress pads, basically take care of their dedicated and talented sales force.

Great people, good company culture, flawed product and lack of growth

AREA SALES MANAGER (Current Employee) Plymouth, MN (US)

ProsSmart friendly culture. Great people who really care about each other. Well thought out and executed training program. Good benefits and 401k.

ConsThe new CEO is leading the company in a bad direction. Lack of focus on the customer is starting to show in the sales and word of mouth.

A great place to make a difference!

ProsThe environment is welcome to new ideas, expects your opinion and suggestions on how to improve our processes, and demands us to give our best for our customers.

ConsI wish I would have joined the company earlier!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep informing us of what is coming and challenging us to be our best.

Oct 01, 2013Human Capital

Thank you for taking time to share your positive experience. Your feedback is certainly appreciated!

STAY AWAY!!!!! Poor upper management and constant sales theft from other employees

Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsThere weren't any major pros to the position.

ConsCompany pins employees against each other to get sales by any means possible causing constant tension amung stores and sales people. There is no work life balance, you work 50-60 hours a week to be successful and some district managers will question you taking your day off. Belittling by your direct report boss who has no knowledge of the job in general. There is never any positive encouragement but constant attempts to break you down. Store manager is just a title, you can't hire, fire, suggest changes, or have any input into what your store does. One size fits all budgeting for every market.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook deeper into who you hire as leadership. Yelling at employees and telling them they are dumb when clearly they are much more intelligent than the person yelling is no recipe for success. People are more successful when they are appreciated for beating sales from prior years and listen to store managers as they know the business climate in their market best.

Nov 05, 2013Human Capital

Thank you for sharing your experience. I'm sorry to see that you did not feel there were any pros to working for Sleep Number, and would like to understand more about your comments. Please reach ... More

wonderful. I learned alot about sales and customer service

Sleep Expert (Former Employee) Mesa, AZ (US)

ProsI enjoyed working with my team. I learned about ordering, running reports and sales processes.

ConsIf you can't say something good, do not say anything at all

Oct 01, 2013Human Capital

Thank you for your kind words regarding your experience as an employee. I'm glad to see that you enjoyed working with your team and that you learned some key skills while employed with us.

Mission driven company with exciting future.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Plymouth, MN (US)

ProsThe company is still at that size where there is an opportunity for everyone to make an impact. It's a company you feel good working for knowing how the products help to improve customer's lives everyday. Solid leadership. Culture with strong values. Working with a group of employees continuously focused on improvement and customer satisfaction.

ConsWhile there is some strong bonus potential, base salary is not as competitive.

Worked for Sleep Number by Select Comfort? Contribute to the Community!