Sonoco Products

Updated 15 August 2014
Updated 15 August 2014

3.1

M. Jack Sanders

Pros
  • Sonoco offers many positives which include opportunities for advancement, access to senior management, and good pay for the area (in 6 reviews)

• Great management, employees are empowered, very open atmosphere, fantastic people, very competitive pay (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Small town cliques within employee base (in 5 reviews)

• Very disrespectful to upper management (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company.

Pros

Great people and good pay.

Cons

I can't say I found any cons working here

None

Very Employee centric company

Pros

I have been working with Sonoco for sometime now. This is a very employee oriented company. They take of their employees well. Benefits are good and over all a good company to work for.

Cons

Sometimes work atmosphere can get very negative

Great experience for me. Have to be willing to go, do, learn, risk.

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

Pros

In operations, you have great opportunities to learn multiple facets of management and technology. Wear many hats. Have to focus, prioritize. Learn to juggle.

Cons

Same as the pros if the challenge is not to your liking.

Not enough appreciation for the field. Co is at risk of freezing up decision making at the lowest level because of too constant micro managing.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Awful. Simply awful. The kicker is it doesn't have to be this way.

Current Employee - Technician  in  Canton, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Technician in Canton, OH (US)

Pros

Pay is above average. Great if you enjoy a lot of overtime hours. Safety is important to the company.

Cons

In a single word. Management. I have a very hard time believing and trusting just about anything I hear from upper management down to plant level management. Loads of overtime and bosses who seem to enjoy issuing write ups and punishment for minor infractions and some cases no infraction at all other than filling a quota. I regret every day of my life i spend in this place. Yes I know then find a new job. I'm working on it...

Reduce overtime. You're killing us. If safety is so important why am I and my do workers working 7 days a week with 12s peppered in? Hire competent managers and supervisors. Have some sort of system for raises. More transparency. Everything is a big secret that "came from corporate".

Good job, good pay, without college degree

Former Employee - Machine Operator  in  Chattanooga, TN (US)
    Former Employee - Machine Operator in Chattanooga, TN (US)

Pros

Really enjoyed the team aspect of working here. Good vacation and insurance. Very good pay for employees compared to other companies in the area.

Cons

Same thing every day. Everything based on efficiency, no room to think. Management always needing the "numbers" to improve. Nothing wrong with that, just not very fulfilling as an employee.

Treat employees as more than just a number.

Good

Former Employee - Production Supervisor  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Production Supervisor in Dallas, TX (US)

Pros

Good training and leadership developement

Cons

The work hours are excessive 12-14 hour days in busy season

Good Internship

Former Employee - Student Intern
    Former Employee - Student Intern

Pros

I had a great work environment for my first engineering related work experience. I was able to work directly with the scientists and felt like part of the team.

Cons

Sometimes there wasn't much work for the interns to do which resulted in slow work days. Not as high paying as similar engineering internships.

Crappy place to work for the most part

Current Employee - Press Operator  in  Franklin, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Press Operator in Franklin, OH (US)

Pros

Good benefits and good pay. People I work with are pretty friendly, Practice safety and really seem to follow through when you come up with ways to do it better.

Cons

This place has no culture or morality policies. The supervisor's are two faced and there always seems to be some drama going on, mainly started by the supervisors who talk about things they shouldn't be talking about to other employees about other peoples situations. Very disrespectful to upper management.

Start doing your job, deal with things you know are happening.

Underbid, Lie, Stall and in the end never deliver

Pros

Good opportunity early in your career - but once you have started to learn the difference between wrong (Sonoco way) and right - you will find it is time to move on.

Cons

From day one - Sonoco sets its employees up to fail. They won a contract at a large CPG company by underbidding the competition - knowing full well that they could not deliver on what that contract without hiring additional staff to service this major account. This never happened, so the entire time the management is saying - yes we can deliver X on that schedule, they know it is impossible.

When that rubber meets the road and the client calls them on their inability to deliver on time on budget - those same senior managers take responsibility for the issue and simply hang the lower level employees out to dry

Start being honest with your clients - and spend what it takes to hire enough people to do the job properly.

A truly great company to work for if you enjoy getting rewarded for hard work.

Current Employee - Logistics Professional  in  Hartsville, SC (US)
    Current Employee - Logistics Professional in Hartsville, SC (US)

Pros

An excellent company to work for if you have any interest in Manufacturing, IT, or logistics.

Cons

I would definitely prefer a better location for their headquarters.

Worked for Sonoco Products? Contribute to the Community!