Southern California Edison

Updated 19 August 2014

2.8

Southern California Edison President Ronald L. (Ron) Litzinger
Ronald L. (Ron) Litzinger

Pros
  • Company has great work-life balance, usually many opportunities to volunteer (in 33 reviews)

• Excellent pay, great benefits, professional development opportunities (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Hard work is not rewarded but if you are buddies with Senior Management you are set maybe (in 14 reviews)

• GONE are the days of work life balance and transparencies / accountabilities (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Good Company Under Transition

Pros

The Compensation and Benefits are above average for the local market.

Cons

Speed of change needed for transition.

Good intern experience - the employees are really helpful to interns and they taught interns well.

Former Employee - Professional Trainee  in  Irwindale, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Professional Trainee in Irwindale, CA (US)

Pros

They had a lot of intern-specific activities that promote team building, self-confidence, and networking. The company takes good care of its interns in training them and giving them tasks that are done by regular employees.

Cons

There might not be a big intern program with SCE these days

Everything has been going well.

Current Employee - Intern  in  Rosemead, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Intern in Rosemead, CA (US)

Pros

Many branches spread throughout Southern California provide plenty of opportunities in various locations. The salary is excellent (as are the benefits) and org units really tend to work well together and have good rapport with one another. The company instills a great culture of safety, and the work-life balance is fair.

Cons

An IT department was recently outsourced, which leads to concerns over job stability for others.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work

Former Employee - Desktop Support  in  Rosemead, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Desktop Support in Rosemead, CA (US)

Pros

Good Pay, Great people, interesting work

Cons

Currently doing downsizing and outsourcing in Information Technology departments.

Consider keeping your senior personal and resist outsourcing.

Jobs not secure.

Current Employee - Systems Analyst III  in  Irwindale, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst III in Irwindale, CA (US)

Pros

Competitive salary. So-so working condition.

Cons

IT outsourced too much. Should have put right people in right positions.

T&D Business Planning

Current Employee - PRF I  in  Rosemead, CA (US)
    Current Employee - PRF I in Rosemead, CA (US)

Pros

Generally speaking, I had a great experience in this group. Majority of the group was extremely intelligent and approachable. I really learned alot! Overall leadership of the group was great and definitely headed in the right direction as far creating a productive and forward looking work environment. As far as other internship offers I received, compensation was slightly better than average.

Cons

After re-org in January, I was placed under a new manager that was socially inept (background was in accounting so I didn't expect much). She was difficult to work with, not only by my standards but everyone else in the group as well. She was not very well liked by the majority of the team. This made all the difference in deciding where I would accept a full time position when I graduated (Not with SCE).

Trim some of the fat in middle management. The "old school" managers need to go. Corporate America is changing. Top talent will no longer accept the bureaucratic, slow, and out-dated status quo.

A Changing Reality

Pros

Long tradition of providing customer service

Cons

In the midst of belt tightening

Awesome company to work for!!

Former Employee - Office Assistant II  in  San Clemente, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Office Assistant II in San Clemente, CA (US)

Pros

I was blessed to work for SCE for over 6 years at San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station. Edison provides excellent health insurance benefits, 401k and pension, paid sick time and generous paid vacation, all major holidays off with pay, including the Friday after Thanksgiving! How many companies do that?! I loved the 4-10 schedule, the all-inclusive environment, the ongoing training and self-improvement opportunities, and many other perks too numerous to mention. I would still be there if they hadn't closed San Onofre. Even when I lost my job they were generous and gave me a severance package and extended health insurance coverage. I can say with all honesty that it was the best job I have ever had!!

Cons

Some of upper management liked to micromanage, and they took safety to the extreme. For example, a couple of employees tripped and fell while talking on their cell phones, so the entire plant population was forbidden from walking while using their cell phones! Also, minor injuries were blown completely out of proportion; i.e., several employees were stung by bees and were basically told that they could have somehow prevented it. Not!

Don't micromanage; don't punish everyone for the mistakes of a few. Focus on building up your employees and they will reward you with loyalty and excellence. You have been given the responsibility and honor of carrying this historic company into the future - be worthy of that legacy.

System analyst 4

Pros

good compensation, people, work and industry

Cons

managed service will take over IT

Not the company I joined 9 years ago

Current Employee - Analyst  in  Pomona, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Analyst in Pomona, CA (US)

Pros

Great Salary and flexible working hours

Cons

Leadership is promoted on years and not on how qualified they are for the job. Awful managers are kept because they've been with the company 20 years. IT is outsourcing almost the whole department. Old school thinking and getting any policy changed is almost impossible.

Worked for Southern California Edison? Contribute to the Community!