Southern California Edison Reviews

Updated 29 August 2014

2.8

Southern California Edison President Ronald L. (Ron) Litzinger
Ronald L. (Ron) Litzinger

Pros
  • Company has great work-life balance, usually many opportunities to volunteer (in 33 reviews)

• Excellent pay, great benefits, professional development opportunities (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Hard work is not rewarded but if you are buddies with Senior Management you are set maybe (in 14 reviews)

• GONE are the days of work life balance and transparencies / accountabilities (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Disappointment

Former Employee - Office Assistant  in  San Clemente, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Office Assistant in San Clemente, CA (US)

I worked at Southern California Edison full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good pay and benefits once you put in some time. Room for advancement if you were willing to play the game. Had the pleasure of working with some truly dedicated people.

Cons

What can you say about a company that perpetrates the failure of a nuclear power plant? Had the misfortune of working with some truly incompetent supervisors and managers.

You guys fouled up a good thing.....

Life Learning Experience In the Utility Industry

I have been working at Southern California Edison

Pros

You fill important and needed in society

Cons

Long Hours - 24 Hours a day job

Listen to your people

Seriously SCE almost had a nuclear meltdown, shut down SONGS, mass employee shooting at Rivergrade, and mass layoffs!

Former Employee - Management  in  Rosemead, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Management in Rosemead, CA (US)

I worked at Southern California Edison full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I am sorry to say there are no reasons to work here, and I hope you will take my sincere advice when making your career decisions. Salary and benefits are good, but management is incompetent, political and immoral. They almost caused a Chernobyl type accident in Orange county, they refused to admit fault and shut down SONGS, had a mass employee shooting at Rivergrade which was identified by outside consultants as occurring in part as a result of oppressive bullying management, and there have been on going massive layoffs at random for the last year. They do not have a clue what they are doing. You would have to be a moron to start a career here, duh?

Cons

I hope I influence at least one young person from making a big mistake in joining SCE. Poor leadership is systemic within the company. Bullying is commonplace. Senior management is arrogant, oppressive and immoral. For gods sake look what they have done. So sad avoidable employee deaths at Rivergrade, nuclear incident at SONGS and subsequent shut down with ratepayer picking up the billion dollar tab, and mass layoffs on going. If it wasn't a public utility we wouldn't even have this review as the doors would be closed. Check out customer ratings for SCE and you will see exactly what I mean. Poor consumers have no choice unless they can switch to solar. Ask yourself Is this really where you would want to start a career? Morale is low to non existant. Not unless you are a family member of the executive, a dumb moron, or a pitiful human being.

CPUC should shut you down. Hopefully the good leaders can get rid of the crappy leaders but it doesn't look like it so far. This once was a great company but no more. I doubt it will survive the competition that is now arriving. Why do we have the most expensive electrical rates in the country .. because you don't have an f...ing clue what you are doing. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to get off the titanic before she sinks! Don't worry I am sure you can withstand the iceberg haha morons!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

SCE Call Center

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Southern California Edison full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

SCE call center is a good entry level position to move forward in the company.

Cons

The Standards of Performance metrics are challenging.

No advice to management at this time.

Great company

I have been working at Southern California Edison

Pros

Good Pay and great benefits.

Cons

Too much of red tape

Ease your process

Lets Not Hire Professionals, Lets Hire Our Friends and Family

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Long Beach, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Long Beach, CA (US)

Pros

If you want to sit around and do average work for decent pay, you will fit right in. You can be checked out 100% and no one will ever know.

Cons

In the contact center they have not hired any of the top tier management competitively in years. They keep cycling in managers that have no experience or respect for how technical a contact center is and once in seat they try to run the operation by the seat of their pants. They don't take the time to educate themselves on how to run a contact center and make decisions based on their use as consumers with little to no investigation. Their contact center is also the dumping ground for managers that would have been bounced if SCE was run like a real business, Crap in Crap out. Every other year they hire well paid consultants to help the inept managers find direction only to fail on implementation. I feel that this mode is systemic in all of SCE.

Hide in your offices, you employees know that your naked.

New employee

Current Employee - Engineer II  in  Alhambra, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Engineer II in Alhambra, CA (US)

I have been working at Southern California Edison full-time for less than a year

Pros

Compensation, benefits and perks are awesome. Job stability.

Cons

My first impression is that the work environment is like how it is working in the defense industry. Processes are slow. The culture is old-fashioned.

Please do not get stuck using old technology. Jump on the bandwagon to upgrade to newest technology company-wide (i.e. Old phones to VoIP, mobile timesheet submittal, etc.). Moreover, with a lot of SCE employees retiring, management can brainstorm and come up with new exciting ways how the company can be more attractive to younger generation as they will be the future leaders of the company (i.e. streamline process in knowledge transfers, career advancement, assignment rotation, panel meetings when leaders share their successes and steps taken to move up the company ladder, more attractive company benefits - increase vacation days, achievement awards, etc.)

Manager

Current Employee - Manager  in  Rosemead, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Rosemead, CA (US)

Pros

Great paying company, great benefits.

Cons

Politics is huge in this company, even though not acknowledged.

10 yr employee

I have been working at Southern California Edison full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

SCE has good pay, and it has decent benefits. There are pockets within the company that has ethical values and good leadership.

Cons

SCE is a poorly managed company, resulting in a less than satisfying workplace. If you have something on the ball keep looking.

Despite frequent reorganizations management can't seem to get it right. Employees gone with poor, inflated management remaining. It needs a Board driven reengineering effort combined with new, strong, thoughtful leadership in place to lead it.

The company takes pride in being more 125 years old, but that is not always good.

Current Employee - TSP III  in  San Clemente, CA (US)
    Current Employee - TSP III in San Clemente, CA (US)

Pros

There are a lot of great people to work with. Great chances to learn a lot. Some employees spend nearly more time learning than actually do their work.

Cons

Use and abuse. This is one of the least caring environments I have worked at. Management leeks sensitive information about employees for their entertainment. Self-growth is far more important than ethic for most management.
    The company closed a plant rather than admitting their mistake and really fixing it.

Stop spending so much in trying to picture a good image for the company, and actually start caring about the customer and employees. Success will come at a much lower price without such a heavy turnover. You can't be successful with so much frustration in your workforce.

Worked for Southern California Edison? Contribute to the Community!