Southwestern Advantage

Updated 27 September 2014
4.4

Southwestern Advantage Chairman & CEO Henry Bedford
Henry Bedford

Pros
  • Great people, willing to help you better yourself (in 9 reviews)

• The opportunity for personal growth is uncapped (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours: these taught me how to work hard regardless of my emotions (in 20 reviews)

• Incredibly hard work and extremely risky (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Great experience to learn and gain skills that will help you succeed in life

Former Employee - Student Manager  in  Lexington-Fayette, KY (US)
    Former Employee - Student Manager in Lexington-Fayette, KY (US)

I worked at Southwestern Advantage as an intern for more than 3 years

Pros

Incredible work environment, great people, awesome mentors.

Cons

this is based off opinion

Miniature Cult

I worked at Southwestern Advantage

Pros

Gives you great experiences
    Puts you out of your comfort zone

Cons

Pay is based solely on commission, less than 30%
    No downtime for anything else

Be more honest about how much you can earn during a summer.

Life Changing

I worked at Southwestern Advantage full-time

Pros

Great people, the best training ever! Working as a student dealer was one of best decisions I ever made, Southwestern gives you a chance through their program to gain true confidence, emotional and mental toughness, and to be a part of an elite fraternity.

Cons

Can be hard to leave due to the relationships and culture.

People before profit is what made Southwestern the company it is, at the end of the day without the people as Spencer would say we would have no company. Advise: Stop listening to accountants who never built a business and focus on the talented good people and empower them to bring Southwestern back to it's glory.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Long-hard days that help you know yourself and your limits

Former Employee - Independent Contractor  in  Joplin, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Independent Contractor in Joplin, MO (US)

I worked at Southwestern Advantage as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Cold-calling, work-ethic, entrepreneurship, push you to the limit every day, sales pitch given to you, get in shape and a tan

Cons

On your own, they do not care about each individual except the high earners, home-life depends on the people they put you with, the full cost of the program is not disclosed until you are forced to pay

Not worth the time and money

Former Employee - Independent Contractor  in  Nashville, TN (US)
    Former Employee - Independent Contractor in Nashville, TN (US)

I worked at Southwestern Advantage as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Looks good on a resume
    You will work harder than you ever thought possible and finish your summer feeling very accomplished
    I wasn't even close to a top producer and didn't buy into the cult-like mantras, etc., and I still made great money

Cons

Greatly exaggerate how many kids actually break even/make any money at all
    Unrealistic work schedule- I slipped a disk in my back and couldn't walk, but was berated by my manager for not putting in 80 hours that week
    You only have one day off per week, but you spend most of that day in meetings
    Hidden costs- you have to buy receipts, training materials, etc.
    Cult-like company culture- you're made to feel like if you aren't succeeding, it's because you're deficient in personal qualities (hard work, motivation, etc.)

Please be realistic about what the day-to-day job looks like in the early stages of the recruiting process and be honest about the expenses that they will incur (gas, training materials, etc.); these often make it hard for employees to even break even, let alone earn money

Being a salesperson is very tough.

I worked at Southwestern Advantage

Pros

You can make some money.

Cons

They take the life out of you.

A huge growing experience

I have been working at Southwestern Advantage

Pros

The number one reason to work at SW is to run your own business and learn the nature of the people of the United States.

Cons

It is the hardest thing i have ever done four summers in a row. Long hours and time alone.

Hardest but absolutely the BEST thing I could've done for myself.

Former Employee - Independent Contractor  in  Grove City, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Independent Contractor in Grove City, OH (US)

I worked at Southwestern Advantage as an intern for more than a year

Pros

Incredibly hard working, motivated, and positive co-workers and management. Incredible sales experience. Sell 3 months out of the year, recruit and train the remaining 9. Consistent and daily support and coaching. Move as a group.

Cons

Must make a large sum of money to profit and sustain you for the remainder of the 9 months you are not being paid. Cold calling for 14 hours a day can be difficult.

I learned more with Southwestern than I did in college.

Former Employee - Corporate Recruiter
    Former Employee - Corporate Recruiter

I worked at Southwestern Advantage full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

-Earn what your worth
    -awesome incentive trips
    -great people and leaders
    -opportunity for promotion
    -real-world experience while your in college
    -opportunity to work a lot of hours

Cons

-Away for the summer
    -No guarantees

Southwestern isn't for everyone and the management thinks the students should do it all the way through college and beyond. I honestly believe that every student in college with a good work ethic and drive wouldn't be able to spend their summer in a better way, however I don't believe it is a 4 year program for everyone.

I will give you words of encouragement.

Former Employee - Book Slinger  in  Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Book Slinger in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Southwestern Advantage as an intern for more than 3 years

Pros

- I made over 45,000 dollars gross, and 20,000 net in the entire 3 summers that I worked with Southwestern.
    - You get the right foundation of sales experience before you graduate, hence learn how to be a professional at a very young age.
    - Your communication skills increase dramatically. This is overlooked by almost everyone who work there.

Perspective as a (now) recruitment consultant:
    - you are set apart by other candidates because it shows that you are ambitious, a risk taker, and an effective communicator.
    - You are able to demonstrate innate ability and knowledge of sales, meeting KPIs, and business development.
    - Your student/sales manager will always provide a positive reference as long as you finish the summer.
    - Looks good on your resume in ANY discipline/industry.

Hardcore Truth about business:
    Southwestern WILL sugarcoat A LOT to recruit you. DO NOT take offense to this because at the end of the day they are trying to proactively recruit young, motivated students to put money into their own pockets, but at the same time provide an opportunity for you.
    This program is a "BUSINESS BOOT CAMP." You work extremely, incredibly hard but you will mature above and beyond your other peers. I can promise you that. If you have breezed through life without any worries about the future then I forbid you to sell books.

Cons

There has been enough cons on this website already, but the biggest red flag at the company has been their recruitment strategies.

Managers: Please stop sugarcoating information to prospective students - you're doing an incredible disservice to yourself and piling up on the already bad reputation that we have on most campuses. Most of the time you don't actually have faith in your own rookies so why in the world did you recruit them. Quality vs quantity please.

Do NOT stick around with Southwestern for more than 1 year after you've graduated. This will work against you because companies will not acknowledge b2c as professional experience. You will still most likely work as a junior sales person and never move into management position at any companies simply because SW is b2c. Please keep in mind and don't let your ASL or DSMs convince you to stick around for a long time.

Southwestern Advantage Photos

Worked for Southwestern Advantage? Contribute to the Community!