Spansion

www.spansion.com

Spansion Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014
Spansion – Austin – “Spansion B4”

Spansion President, CEO, and Director John H. Kispert

John H. Kispert

Pros
  • Also, there was a good work life balance(in 9 reviews)

• Good place to work with lots of good people; laid back as most places in Austin are(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • The employees seem to have diminishing faith and confidence in the company because of numerous lay-offs(in 5 reviews)

• no benefits, no bonus, conventional (no WFHs), longer promotion cycle, not willing to take risks at all, random shutdowns(in 4 reviews)

Great

Senior Product Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsGreat place to relax. Good culture. Not work pressure

ConsDid get much from working there...

It is ok company

Product Marketing Engineer (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA (US)

ProsPeoples working here are friendly

Consthere are many changes in last several years

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

Financial Analyst

Financial Analyst (Current Employee) Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

ProsStaffs are friendly and casual. Workload is less and not required to work OT.There's a gym and you can go whenever you want.

ConsBad training scheme, you have to pick everything up by your own. Managers are busy and do not have extra time to teach you.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fantastic for very many years but too many layoffs

Module Shift Manager (Former Employee) Austin, TX (US)

ProsGood place to work with lots of good people; laid back as most places in Austin are. Mature systems in a mature fab and everything is in full production mode. Lots of very intelligent, creative engineering talent here. Everybody there knows their job and do it exceptionally well. CEO did a remarkable job post bankruptcy especially keeping the company profitable.

ConsEcho what somebody else said about little to no opportunities for growth in management specifically. Every upper level manager has been there for several years making it difficult for anybody to take those positions. Aging work force although not sure if that's a bad thing. Bonuses were an interesting exercise in futility. There didn't seem to be much visibility to what exactly needed to be done to get them. Forced distribution for employee ranking (quarterly and annually), while a common thing for most companies, didn't make much sense for a company that already had an extremely lean work force. They've gutted so many employees that most of the "low performers" were really average performers that just got screwed by the idea that a company has to have 10-15% of the employees be ranked into the lowest performance tier.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the forced distribution. There's not much point in gutting the company any more. Bring in and mentor younger talent.

If you can make your manager happy, you get promoted quickly and paid well.

Department Manager (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA (US)

ProsPeople are very nice here.
    Pay is good for Sr. level and above.

ConsStressful, no work life balance. A lot of politics. CEO seems don't care about his employees, too many cuts. High turn-over.

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople are the most valuable assets of a company. That's the reason why a lot of startups do well at the begining, then fall apart when the top management gets greedier and greddier.

A dying company with NO plans for expanding in the US

Insignificant Employee (Current Employee) Austin, TX (US)

ProsPay, for my position, is very good.

ConsVery dangerous, outdated, factory. Most, if not all, safety protocols are ignored, or bypassed. It's all about manufacturing. Doesn't care about safety or well being of employees. I know people who have lost parts of fingers, had hands crushed, exposed to acids, and more. Management doesn't even ask them if they are ok. They are only concerned with trying to cover their own butts. They immediately conduct a" 5 why" investigation. On one occasion a person was hurt, and a 5 why investigation was performed. Years later the machine still has interlocks bypassed, undocumented changes, outdated specs, broken panels that protect from acid exposure, and I could go on.

Safety is for filling out documentation to provide the illusion of safe working environment to customers and government regulators.

Most demeaning place I've ever worked. It is a good ole boy place where The "click" is promoted. In my position people have Bachelors of Science degrees, licenses, certifications, ex-military, patents, and more. Some are promoted without ANY prior school, experience, or professional training. Needless to say we are treated like we are cashiers at a hotdog stand. NO RESPECT! Everyone is looked upon as the person with no professional training. In reality, many people in this situation have more experience, and school than management. So, I guess the idea is to demean and marginalized others to keep themselves on top.

Also, this place seems to encourage trash talking. People scoff, roll eyes, yell, make fun of you in meetings. It's really unbelievable! Very disappointing when you consider this is a " high tech" semiconductor company.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet it together before someone is killed. You surely don't want that?!?!?

Have made too many cuts.

ProsGreat, employees, technology and business strategy. Recent Fujitsu acquisition will extend life of Fab, increase revenue and expand product portfolio.

ConsVery low on employees, limited career opportunities, very little L&D outside of the Fab. Mid level management does not seem to be focused on the long term.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more in employees

Great until the Chapter 11

Department Manager (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA (US)

ProsGood salary, CEO is excellent

Conshard to lose so many friends

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't forget about the people side of things - new products are cool, but they are made by your people

Pay is good but management is falling apart

Technical Support Analyst - I (Current Employee) Austin, TX (US)

ProsThe pay makes it work going to work, the people that work with you and in the FAB are friendly enough. The career options are great if you stick around long enough. Some of the employees have been here 30 years, and if you want it bad enough you can get to where you would like to go.

ConsEveryone is just friendly, no one speaks too much, they act like ther're abused animals that cower at the first sign on human interaction. My direct supervisor is spineless and does not find it necessary to stick up for our team.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive better accolades when they are deserved, care for the people that work for you, and if you don't understand the job your employees do, don't assume to tell them how to do it. The disconnect between the employees on the lower levels are substantially greater than anywhere I would like to work.

Engineer

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood salary , Everyone is nice , Not much pressure.

ConsNo passion to work in such place, can not growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider have more training or technical forum to engineer.
    Face to face communication with engineers.

Worked for Spansion? Contribute to the Community!