Spansion Reviews

Updated 12 April 2015
128 reviews filtered by
Spansion President, CEO, and Director John H. Kispert
John H. Kispert

Pros
  • Also, there was a good work life balance (in 10 reviews)

• Good place to work with lots of good people; laid back as most places in Austin are (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • The employees seem to have diminishing faith and confidence in the company because of numerous lay-offs (in 5 reviews)

• no benefits, no bonus, conventional (no WFHs), longer promotion cycle, not willing to take risks at all, random shutdowns (in 4 reviews)

1. Unstable business, but not a bad working environment

Former Employee - Engineer in Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Engineer in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at Spansion full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Helpful coworkers, Benefits, Competitive salary

Cons

Unstable business environment, No connection to C-level execs, Hours vary based on department

Advice to Management

Inspire us, help us feel like the company is going somewhere

2. Marketing

I worked at Spansion

Pros

Better flexibility to work on

Cons

external environment is not good

3. Positive work environment with high degree of empowerment

Former Employee - Senior Engineering Manager
    Former Employee - Senior Engineering Manager

I worked at Spansion full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Encouraged to take measured risk - given large scope of responsibility

Cons

Executive management not aligned among themselves which creates unneeded conflict
    No advancement potential

Advice to Management

Implement cessation planning

5. Company with Great People

I worked at Spansion full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Spansion employees are dedicated and great to work with all over the world.

Cons

Like most companies, Spansion doesn't fully appreciate the people that they have.

Advice to Management

Spread the wealth

6. Good place to work for how long?

Current Employee - Maintenance Tech
    Current Employee - Maintenance Tech

I have been working at Spansion full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good place to work. Good people to work with.
    There is always something new to learn.

Cons

Manufacturing equipment is >10 years old, and becoming increasingly more challenging to maintain. Continuous improvement while continuously cutting costs is expected. There is no strategic plan in place to address equipment obsolescence or knowledge loss from attrition.

Advice to Management

Develop and implement a long-term strategy to set course be a "World Class" company. Invest in your human resources, IT infrastructure, and a knowledge management program.

7. Spansion Austin,Tx

Current Employee - Maintenance Tech in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Maintenance Tech in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Spansion full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good Pay and decent benefits

Cons

Older Equipment and a little micro managed

Advice to Management

Mellow out-respect for the individual

8. Great place to work. Overall you can expect to enjoy the balance work life between family and office.

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Sunnyvale, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

I have been working at Spansion full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Conducive working environment. Great team working across all departments (onshore and offshore).

Cons

The cafeteria food can be further improve

The retirement party's bout to start en-mass, thanks to Cypress merger. The only hope for those poor souls who remain...

Former Employee - Senior Manufacturing Engineer in Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Manufacturing Engineer in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at Spansion full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Long-term outlook much improved, with established automotive customer base in the US and Japan. Financials holding strong, post bankruptcy. If you like to work in an emaciated-lean company, this is your haven.
    100% executive focus on performance of the financials and market perception of the company.

Cons

A culture of abuse, disrespect and outright ugly middle-management behavior, appallingly bad.
    Many of the most effective cost savings tactics have been in employee benefits, compensation and forced vacations for employees in manufacturing.

Advice to Management

Do your best to pretend you respect your people. You clearly do not but you can fake it until your retirement party, which is clearly the priority of this team, even before the stock took off. You boys need to be put into a time out.

10. Great, easy-going culture and environment in IT.

Current Employee - Prefer Not to Say in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Prefer Not to Say in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Spansion full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Spansion Austin has a relatively laid back and quiet atmosphere with little micromanagement. As long as you work hard and provide value then you will be valued by coworkers and management.
    Just based on my experience, the medical/dental benefits are top-notch (more about other benefits at the end of my pros)
    All levels of management have made efforts to make me feel welcome and valued.
    I have the freedom to accomplish my goals in the most efficient and effective ways that I deem appropriate.
    They have a great campus with a pretty good fitness center. There are some good scenic walking/jogging trails as well as a basketball court.
    Campus is within 10-15 minutes of downtown Austin.
    Other benefits (these will obviously change for the worse or better post-merger):
    Generous employee stock purchase plan is offered
    Company matches 50% 401k contributions up to 6% of annual salary.
    Physical activity program allows you to drastically reduce your portion of the premiums for medical insurance (takes some effort, but that's the point).

Cons

I'm still giving 5 stars because I am judging this employer as it compares to my past employers (there will ALWAYS be cons regardless of who you work for). These are the cons, from most concerning to least:
    - Saw an opportunity for long-term and stable employment with this company and even considered relocating my residence closer. In December, a merger was announced that may jeopardize employment in the first part of this year. Due to all of the obvious factors that cannot even be foreseen by exec management, this tends to put one on edge.
    - Took a rather significant salary cut (almost $1000/month) when I began, because a decent quarterly bonus package was advertised which would have offset the reduction in salary (or would have actually increased my salary if it ever had come to fruition). There have been no bonuses, even though the stock prices have doubled within the past six months. Regardless of this, the salaries (for IT) seem to fall within an acceptable market range.

Advice to Management

You guys are doing a good job with what you have to work with. Spansion IT is lean, effective, and efficient. The only advice I have is something that you are probably already doing... keeping us as informed as possible about the impact the merger will have on your employees.

11. Good company, but could be better

I have been working at Spansion full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Interesting work, company has plenty of products and technologies, fab seems to have a long-term plan to be filled, co-workers are typically great to work with, bosses typically pretty flexible

Cons

review system is standard carrot and stick mentality no matter what you do, switched from vacation to PTO (meaning includes sick time now), people have been here long time, so not much room for lateral or upward moves, stressful sometimes, like other companies in industry, layoffs seem to occur every few years

Advice to Management

dump the review system for something more modern and motivating, make quarterly bonuses a flat bonus not another review of people, improve benefits

Spansion Photos