Spectra Energy

Updated Jul 13, 2014

Spectra Energy Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer Greg Ebel

Greg Ebel

OK For A Big Company

Senior Lead Project Engineer (Former Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsSpectra is an established big company with big company benefits. A leader in natural gas storage and a major player in natural gas transportation.

ConsSpectra is a big company. Some of the internal groups tend to try to act like a small company when in fact the big company layers of bureaucracy and politics exist and are in full effect.

Safe for women and children - not so good for your career

Project Manager (Former Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsStable
    Stress Free
    Pleasant office environment
    Little travel

ConsDead end
    Below Industry Average Pay
    Not a "Real" oil and gas company

Advice to Senior ManagementSo much of what your perception of Spectra Energy will be - will depend on your Job function and what you are looking for in your career overall. If you want safe, stable and stress free - this is your place. If you are looking for big money and gaining skills that the market will highly value - look elsewhere.

Spectra Energy is a company that is way too overstaffed, has below industry average pay and fairly dead end as far as skills you would gain that would be transferable even to other oil and gas operating companies. It offers a sheltered, safe and stable work environment that would appeal to women and older workers but probably not to those looking for the oil and gas payoff you would find in other companies in terms of skills, experience or money in the industry.

If you are serious about a career in the oil and gas industry, Spectra will get in you the door. But it will also waste your time if you allow it.

Job security

Senior Operator (Current Employee)

ProsGreat safety culture .... ok ok

ConsLooking for safety perfection.....ok ok

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Look somewhere else you can find better

Administrative (Current Employee)

ProsSome people are pleasant to work with

ConsEntire company is made up of all contractors. Rarely do you meet someone who is a permanent employee. When traveling you are expected to pay for all expenses and wait 2-3 weeks for reimbursement from your staffing agency. Job will always be contract so hardly no one goes permanent. Insufficient training and the moment you speak your concerns or have ideas there immediately shot down or in my case invite you to corporate to teach them how to do your job responsibilities and then be laid off 2 weeks later.no real direction, aging workforce, not organized at all. The will assure you they don't do politics but trust me it's there. If u like traveling and feeling like your job is never complete then this place is for you. Salary is way below industry pay because they factor in traveling costs as apart of your salary. Traveling that they enforce.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you come to someone and ask ways to make things more efficient then to turn down there ideas because you do a group vote who are made up of people not comfortable with changes then look for better ways to manage. Industry is always changing holding back talent because some people are uncomfortable or have egos shouldn't be giving there opinion. Also nothing more cowardly when u schedule a meeting to talk about concerns then cancel it and then keep rescheduling only to drag it out because u know they are being laid off and then say yeah we'll talk about it when I get back the very same day you are laying them off and slipping out the back door with your tail between your legs is cowardly. Yea....sure you don't play politics. Cough cough

Great Culture

SummerAccounting (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsPeople, culture, work/life balance, 9/80 work weeks

ConsOpportunities for advancement, salary, dull and repetitive work

Good company for a first job

Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsCompetitive pay
    Will negotiate more if they really want you
    Great coworkers, employees
    Opportunity to travel A LOT if you so wish
    Benefits are great

ConsSometimes not the projects you want to work on, and it's difficult to request something else.

Advice to Senior ManagementUse your younger employee's talents!

Long Time Pipeliner

Applications Spec II (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsWe work here to live and the company supports that concept
    Great place to get experience

ConsEval processis "rigged". Meaning the 1 to 5 scale is really a 1 to 4. So basically here at Spectra you will always be an average employee.
    Office politics - really bad here.
    Salary is on the low side

Advice to Senior ManagementEvaluations shuld be honest.
    Senior Management seems to know where they are taking the company
    Unable to advance - my fear is that I will me stuck in this postion until I get a better offer

Im just a contractor!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsLike everyone else said.. Work life balance. I"m a contractor and they go way out of their way to not treat me like one. I like the group I'm in, I have an excellent manager.

ConsI haven't really found the dark side yet. There seems to be a lot of silo-ing going on, with one piece of the business not knowing what the others are doing, but you find that everywhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow your lower level management to do their job. They're smart people.

Good Company to retire from, not a great company to start your career

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsGreat people, wonderful work life balance, good benefits, good experience, and they care about their employees!!

ConsPay is not at market, not much room for growth

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease base salary for employees!!!

Top notch

Senior Accountant (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsExcellent work life balance - 9/80, teleworking and part-time work.
    Health - there is a Nurse Practitioner on site and a clinic with two beds and nursing rooms. There is also a gym on sit
    Leaders - trustworthy and highly competent.
    Mid to Upper-level Management - usually leaves little to be desired.
    Great benefits - three weeks vacation immediately; 401(k) matching, pension and bonus.
    The company is always seeking to improve and always puts their employees first.

ConsSalary is okay.
    Little room for growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

Worked for Spectra Energy? Contribute to the Community!