Sperry Drilling Services

Sperry Drilling Services Reviews

Be The First To
Add Photos

Christopher Gaut

Quite good job to earn money

Khobar (Saudi Arabia)

I have been working at Sperry Drilling Services full-time for more than a year

ProsFair salary, understandable management for social life

ConsSalaries are not as much as SLB, bad rotation in KSA (2 months on - one off), difficult to get promotion, old technology

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of research and development to bring back high end technology

Great Company with Bright Future

Technical Professional (Current Employee)

I have been working at Sperry Drilling Services

ProsGood projects, Great co-workers, good potential to learn

ConsToo early to notice any downside, but things will become clearer as time goes by

Advice to Senior ManagementToo early to notice any downside, but things will become clearer as time goes by. But so far things have been pretty clear from the top management

Drill. Log. Live. LIVE.

M/LWD Field Professional (Current Employee)
Jakarta (Indonesia)

I have been working at Sperry Drilling Services

ProsVery attractive remuneration package compared to competitors, friendly and relaxed working environment and colleagues, global career opportunities, clear and unbiased assessment of skills and competencies.

But i must say, one of the most appealing factor working in Sperry Drilling Services is the good and more relaxed nature of it's people, unlike some of the competitors.

ConsLack of schedule management, and overall management and development of people weren't so good.
(as a field professional, the work schedule isn't the normal 5-2 in a week, but rather spending several weeks working field, and about couple of weeks spending time off in town. Due to lack of people, the balance of time-on and off is a little bit exhausting)

Advice to Senior ManagementWe need to focus more on people development, most of our people get their knowledge from unverified source, sometimes this leads to confusion and failure.

A Challenging Career for a Challenging Inividual Who Want to Grow

Business Development (Current Employee)
Dammam (Saudi Arabia)

I have been working at Sperry Drilling Services

ProsI studied physics and the work I do is very relevant to my education. The company is also able to financially support your graduate studies if this is something you would like to pursue. I emjoy my job, even though it is stressful at times. There are plenty of opportunities for growth and expanding your career at SDS. Since Halliburton is a very large organization, there are also opportunities to change your career if you would like tol. There is a great deal of awareness that young professionals are crucial to the growth of the organization.

ConsThe work never finishes no matter how hard you work, so you have to manage time effectively. At times it is difficult to align your goals with the organization's goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementYoung professionals are the future, please continue to guide and mentor them.

Sperry is just Halliburton

Stavanger (Norway)

I have been working at Sperry Drilling Services

ProsThe pay and time off ... but only because it's Norway. Anywhere else and it would jsut be the oilfield. But thanks to the SOCIALIST Norewgian government - its different. Better py better conditions, better time off.

ConsLack of "career"... keep you in the position you're in.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to workers... call them!

The future is ours.

Bakersfield, CA (US)

I have been working at Sperry Drilling Services

Pros401k and health benefits are among the top in any industries.they drive for advancement is yours.the possibilities for advancement is infinite.

Consthe hours turn to days and months time for family and friends stop short.

Advice to Senior Managementnot at this time

An excellent oil\gas career opportunity, for now.

M\LWD Field Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Sperry Drilling Services

ProsThe best thing about working for Sperry is that you get a balanced diet when it comes to working in the oil field. It doesn't take away your life; you get good time off compared to elsewhere while maintaining a very good income package, comparable to the highest paid positions in the industry.

There is also a lot of job security in comparison with similar companies.

Promotion is directly based on your performance. They have a very flexible system where you decide when you're prepared for a promotion, then you get evaluated and examined, if you pass, you get promoted instantly.

They are selective of the people they hire and you end up surrounded by civilized educated people which makes communication easy.

There is a lot of transparency and a lot of the time you get to communicate directly with top management which is satisfying and leaves no room for unfairness or misunderstanding.

Working for Sperry entitles you to a lot of expensive technical training which is definitely a plus weather you continue to work for them or not.

ConsThe oil field is a difficult environment, which is not specific to working for Sperry. However, it sometimes seems that there is a lot that can be done to make it easier for the employee, but Sperry chooses not to, in order to be economic.

A single field engineer is delegated a lot of responsibility which, while may be satisfying, gives a lot of headroom for human error.

The tools used are outdated which makes running them a pain, they require lengthy preparation which is done on site, and because of how old they are, its not uncommon to get downtime for a failure.

As with any corporation involved with oil and gas activity, world economics and politics have a direct effect on job security.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in better tools and R&D. Updated tools will easily leverage service price and guarantee a higher market share. Sperry is losing market share, everyone else is using newer technologies, if Sperry doesn't keep up, it will face a crisis soon.

Do you have the pulse of the working bees?

PGL (Former Employee)

I worked at Sperry Drilling Services

ProsGood benefits and experience is top notch.

ConsManagement does not communicate well with those below them. Managers need to be trained on how to be effective managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to the people at the bottom, you'll be surprise what they have to say about the middle managers and what the middle managers are not telling you.

Intern review

Software Intern (Current Employee)

I have been working at Sperry Drilling Services

Proshelpful coworker and decent salary

Conslong drive to work place and a few holiday / off days

Advice to Senior Managementgreat work experience. would be more appreciated if paid more attention to intern

Worked for Sperry Drilling Services? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sperry Drilling Services reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Sperry Drilling Services CEO Christopher Gaut. All 9 reviews are posted anonymously by Sperry Drilling Services employees.