Sports Authority
www.sportsauthority.com Englewood, CO 5000+ Employees

Sports Authority Reviews

Updated Apr 22, 2014

Michael E. Foss

Pros:
  • "Cost plus 10% days (which brings the price down to what you would pay at Walmart but hey, we appreciate your hard work"
    in 22 reviews
  • "The employee discount is acceptable, but basically in line with other retailers"
    in 44 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper management sets ridiculous sales goals that are very very tough to reach"
    in 29 reviews
  • "Customer service is supposed to be primary focus but company gives you no tools to do so"
    in 28 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

District Manager a bully

Department Manager (Former Employee)
Detroit, MI (US)

I worked at Sports Authority full-time for more than a year

Prosdiscount was nice for families

ConsWork life balance non existent
bonuses never paid on time
numbers mean more then happiness
worked with district manager previously at another sporting good company/ he was a bully there

Advice to Senior Managementevaluate you district managers/ make sure when you are around they are not putting on a show

NOT AS FUN AS YOU MAKE THINK

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Glendale, WI (US)

I worked at Sports Authority part-time for more than a year

ProsWorking with people who love sports, employee discount

ConsBeing forced to sell ECP's, not being trained at all, incompetent managers that have no personality or willingness to make you better as an employee, leadership only cares what they look like, sales leader didn't care if i just sat around and did nothing which i hated since other employees actually did that. Forced to work more hours than requested. TSA actually went against my work schedule… I thought that was illegal?

Advice to Senior ManagementPLEASE TRAIN EVERY SINGLE EMPLOYEE THOROUGHLY ON HOW TO SELL BEFORE THEY START. I was just thrown on the sales floor with no background on the store history or sales pitches. I basically had to learn on my own. Thank god I had the motivation to get better as a salesperson or I woulnldn't have made any sales. Also, lay off on the ECP's… Telling your employees to lie about a product just to get an ecp.. people know if you are lying to them.

The 90's want their company back.

Lead Tech (Current Employee)

I have been working at Sports Authority full-time for more than a year

ProsThe old business model that they still use allows for a good cohesion between employees. It does this by forcing the employees to figure out round about ways to get things done in a setting where efficiency is definitively not the main focus. The one other perk of working there are the discounts off the various sporting good items that an active individual would most likely be buying anyhow.

ConsThe technology in Sports Authority resembles that of the ancient Egyptians. Paper work is still used to complete all service transactions which makes the purchasing process exponentially long than it needs to be taking up the customer and employees time.

There is no wifi in the stores even though half the coupons used at the registers are being looked up by customers on their phones while standing in line.

THE LEAGUE rewards program is the laziest and least helpful rewards program out there. The customer is hassled repeatedly until he or she gives over their name, email address, and phone number so that they can start building up their 5% back. To redeem this 5% they must go online to register their account which most customers fail to do. They then come in expecting to cash in on the 5% in which case employees will off the help them register on the one computer on the floor. This usually leads to the customer explaining they do not have enough time and must go. (A lot of customer interactions end like this)

And this is the worst to me. Once the customer is registered online with THE LEAGUE Sports Authority does not keep track or show the customer any record of their previous transactions. like some other successful companies are doing (Lowes..etc)

Advice to Senior ManagementGet with the times and start focusing on efficiency and customer service. Make a business model that makes shopping at Sports Authority easier for the customer Instead of making the customer do it Sports Authorities way.

It's okay. Tough if your in IT, but that's retail.

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
Denver, CO (US)

I worked at Sports Authority full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood employee discount. Generally good co workers. Fun and enjoyable at times.

ConsBenefits are marginal at best. Paid time off is nearly non existent. Lots of employee turnover. Departments are very silo'ed.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to lower level employees. They really are running the business for you while you are out test driving your next sports car.

Don't waste your time

Sales Manager (Current Employee)
Lombard, IL (US)

I have been working at Sports Authority full-time for more than a year

ProsYou get to talk about sports all day it's a good entry level job into retail and there are some very few and far between real chance at growth
Benefit packages for full time were great

ConsTo busy pushIng sales to let people express themselves and become good employees/salesman

Also still in the stone ages on everything from general day to day technology to even employee uniform witch hurts the store in more ways that you can imagine

And they promise great pay increases that seem to never happen
Also There was no reason for me to be a full store sales manager and still make less hourly then some sales/cashiers because you never promoted them and kept them around for 5-10 plus years and no to mention there not just WAY TO OVERPAID they suck at there jobs and are lazy and now it's my job to try and change there laziness you allowed them to become for so long oh or get rid of them as I was told

Advice to Senior ManagementUpgrade your crapy register system spend the money stop being cheap and trying to fix the old one
Look at how dicks is doing there uniforms and I think they r doing it right since they happen to be killing you
Keep your managers happy start with there paychecks cause 90% are not the other ten have been there forever and again they suck get rid of them yourself
Update your stores look it's old and out of date
Stop budget cutting ur not saving money ur affecting the customers service there is not reason to be 4 people up and 4 down on a Saturday is that a bad joke for a huge retail store or what
And many many more things as well!!!!!

Somewhat OK Company to work for

IT Analyst (Former Employee)
Englewood, CO (US)

I worked at Sports Authority full-time for more than a year

ProsNice co workers. They are very helpfull and covers each other

ConsManagment sucks. They don't have any direction where they are going

Decent company; good way to learn retail

Senior Merchandiser (Current Employee)
East Hanover, NJ (US)

I have been working at Sports Authority full-time for more than a year

ProsWith good managers and supervisors you can learn a lot
good way to learn how to sell
great way to try out different parts of retail to find out what you like doing

ConsHours are long
work is often mindless
your experience will depend a lot on your store and its leadership

Advice to Senior ManagementFormalize training to a greater extent and rely more on interpersonal training and less on LMS and SAU

Just what you'd expect

I have been working at Sports Authority part-time

ProsEasy going environment and flexible hours are always a benefit at a place like this. Easy to get shifts covered if and when necessary.

ConsThis place can be so disorganized. Customers often get frustrated with the staff due to organizational issues that our out of their control. The holidays are a nightmare.

Fair and Good

District Manager (Current Employee)
Jacksonville, FL (US)

I have been working at Sports Authority full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe emplyee discount is good.

ConsNot a good work like balance

Department manager

I have been working at Sports Authority

ProsOne of the few that had a regular schedule. Worked mornings monday - friday. Got to meet a lot of new people

ConsPay was not that good. Had to travel from PA to NJ and pay a toll to get back in so my take home pay was really bad.

Worked for Sports Authority? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sports Authority reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Sports Authority CEO Michael E. Foss. All 520 reviews are posted anonymously by Sports Authority employees.