Sports Authority

Updated 23 January 2015
Updated 23 January 2015
2.8

Michael E. Foss

Pros
  • Made some friends working there but that's about it aside from the employee discount (in 59 reviews)

• The discount is good at cost plus 10% (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Management would often pressure associates to sell extended coverage plans, insoles and rewards and if goals were not met, associates take the blame (in 17 reviews)

• The compensation is not good unless you are upper management (in 34 reviews)

More Highlights

Moderate, management very pushy

Current Employee - Sales Authority in Issaquah, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Authority in Issaquah, WA (US)

I have been working at Sports Authority part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The discount is awesome

Cons

Pay is low
    Management is very pushy

Need to make more realistic sales goal and stop being so pushy with the extended coverage plan.

Horrible

Former Employee - Operations Manager
    Former Employee - Operations Manager

I worked at Sports Authority full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great discount on goods, but very low end merchandise.

Cons

Horrible management and core values.

Keep up with retail sales of your competitors.

Formerly great, now downright terrible

Current Employee - Team Leader in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I have been working at Sports Authority full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good discount, flexible hours, and your fellow co-workers make the days a little better.

Cons

Company keeps requiring more from stores and it's employees but continues to give them less and less support. For example, they want us to treat every customer like they are royalty but our payroll budget keeps shrinking. So a 40,000 square foot store is lucky to have 3 people working in it. How are we supposed to help customers when we have no employees?! They require so much but give us no tools to succeed.

All district managers and above should be required to work one week as a store manager. Write the schedules within the confines of the payroll budget, get product to the floor, while not neglecting customers at the same time, and keep up all the sales metrics the store requires. That way they can see the troubles we face day to day. Maybe then when we ask for advice on how to accomplish things we'll get a better response than "Just get it done!" No leadership or guidance whatsoever.

Fun college job

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Temecula, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Temecula, CA (US)

I worked at Sports Authority full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible with schedule and easy to get full time

Cons

Retail jobs are very repetitive

More incentives for sales

Managements role to their associates

Former Employee - Sales Authority in Anchorage, AK (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Authority in Anchorage, AK (US)

I worked at Sports Authority full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If your a business driven associate then you'll understand why my review has alot to do with the role management has on their team.

At the time, I was hired when we had a great mentor of a store manager: great relationships with his management team. So as a result the employees had a sense of understanding of their job and duties, ultimately there is respect.

Management team has your back regarding customer complaints unless you were not following specific policies, i.e., ignoring your customer or using phone on sales floor! Write up!

Great company if you have a passion for retail and to promote good business practices. You can make a postive impact and grow with the company if you know what I know: read game plan, listen to your customers, review employee handbook, customers, any book laying around read it,

Employee Discounts is great. Flexible with schedule.

Cons

Unfortunately however, this stores management team have lost their management abilities with new store manager. Associates are becoming too friendly to their superiors, comfortable enough to leave their departments to discuss events outside of work on the clock mind you. Team members are not taking initiative to improve customers experience by providing good salesmanship.

Training is basically shadowing an associate for a day or two and then your on your own. Speak up to a manager and let them know you would like to continue to shadow if your uncomfortable the first week.

When a manager does not speak up with what is right then ethics and respect for the team will no longer be valid,e.g., favoritism that leads to poor department control.

Depending on how well your store manager is you'll see how great or how poorly they can effectively influence the stores performance and customer experience. It starts from the top of the tier and can trickle down like a storm.

Get a grip of your store. There is a reason to why scores are so low. Evaluate the trend and hire common sense educated people to become successful. No time to be playing games hiring folks with attitudes. Jokes are cool but seriously though.

DO NOT APPLY TO BE A CASHIER!! Bad pay for same work as others.......

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Sports Authority part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great discount, Okay benefits when full time. Okay money if you are a MANGER

Cons

A lot, can't work over 40 hours. No overtime pay on holidays unless you are a full time. As a cashier you are forced by your mangers to talk people into buying protection plan on pointless stuff like basketballs worth $14.00 when plans start at $4.00 for one year. Its understand on big price treadmills, sunglass, gopro's, etc Then you NEED to ask for loyalty card if not sign them up or unless you get yelled at. As a cashier 30% of your raise is based off the percent of signs you have, to be a cash lead you need to be above 40% of all times. They except you to work your butt off when you are getting paid the same as the person on the floor doing nothing but helping people find stuff. You deal with cash, phone calls, protect plans, loyalty signs up, greeting people, returns and exchanges, incorrect price signs, BUT the person on the floor has to deal with people needing to find a specific product or small task one at a time. Cashiers do twice the amount of work as the people on the floor but they get paid same money. DO NOT APPLY FOR CASHIER JOB.

Realize that everyday is not going to be perfect and instead of pushing your employees by yelling at them over the walkie, how bout you get on the floor and join us. When a manger is asked by an employee because a customer is mad or wants to talk to you, don't say you are on break. Get off your butt and go. You once were in our position you should know how it is.

FAVORITISM ABOUNDS in the Warehouses

Current Employee - Warehouse Worker in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Warehouse Worker in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Sports Authority

Pros

Not much good to say. Hourly workers are nice but can't live on what they are paid. They come in thinking they are working a 8 hour day and are sent home in 6 hours due to no work or poor planning. Managers and Management cannot plan past their nose.

Cons

You are promoted and earn a decent wage if management likes you. The favoritism is unbelieveable. The employee programs, awards, drawings and promotions are handled behind closed doors and if they like you - you win! Sports Authority say they offer all these great programs but it is crap. Corporate has no idea what really goes on. Managers operate for their own benefit. Most of the good employees leave because they are fired or can't stand the managers!

Take inventory of your management group and make changes.

Typical Sales Environment

Former Employee - Cashier in Butler, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Cashier in Butler, NJ (US)

I worked at Sports Authority part-time (less than an year)

Pros

At the time I was working, the employees that working with me were pretty nice, but not necessarily good workers.

Cons

The pay was low, the manager was horrible (called out employees for small errors in front of customers), the Thanksgiving hours were heart-breaking and there was no room for growth unless you wanted to be the front-end manager. Poor morale, poor environment.

MORALE is the key to keeping good employees. Try being sincere and personal and take care of yourself, too. Make work fun, pull people aside to talk to them instead of raging in public. Watch your sarcasm.

It was "all right"

Former Employee - Cashier in Rockville, MD (US)
    Former Employee - Cashier in Rockville, MD (US)

I worked at Sports Authority

Pros

easy work, good co-workers, aside from that not much else

Cons

they only hire part-time employees and the number of hours you get is based on how many people you sign up for their loyalty program.

stop micro-managing, stop allowing customers to return anything regardless of the condition of the item or if they do not have a receipt, it is hurting your bottom line .

Part Time Sales

I have been working at Sports Authority

Pros

Close to home and employee discounts are good.

Cons

Regular pay for working Holidays. Breaks are short and not well scheduled. I go to work and an hour later they put me on break, then I have to work another 6 hours.

While I appreciate that I have a job, I work really long hours on holidays and only receive regular pay. If I am taken away from my family during the holidays it would be nice to at least have time and a half. I barely get a break on holiday Eve days such as the day before Thanksgiving, Black Friday, and Christmas Eve. It's very clear employees are not very appreciated. I worked a 12 hour shift on Black Friday and got half hour break, do you think that is good?