Sports Authority

Updated 14 December 2014
Updated 14 December 2014
2.8

Michael E. Foss

Pros
  • Made some friends working there but that's about it aside from the employee discount (in 59 reviews)

• The discount is good at cost plus 10% (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Management would often pressure associates to sell extended coverage plans, insoles and rewards and if goals were not met, associates take the blame (in 17 reviews)

• The compensation is not good unless you are upper management (in 34 reviews)

More Highlights

Are you kidding..In reply to brick.nj review

I have been working at Sports Authority

Pros

Excellent Employee discount.thats about all they have going for employees

Cons

There is no positive outlook..it's not how good you are doing..it's how much more can you do . That's their motto.

Stop cheating on SCALES report.cashiers are told to give sales to specific employees, even if said employee had not helped customer and even if said employee is not even working that day....Also stick to return policy of store. Do not show favoritism with certain customers..A rule is rule..you make the customer service employees look like idiots with the overrides...and when so called anonymous surveys are to be taken by the employees about store and management, why are the out comes known and by whom made them..that's sneaky..come on sports authority management and corporate, show a little kindness, fairness..respect to the people who work for you..u just like to dangle the candy. ( employee discount) in our faces.. and by the way, why did you take away 3 of our PRO days? We were to get all of them in lieu of holiday pay differential. .since we work everyday and holiday except Christmas day..another sneaky attack..

Sales

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Orlando, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Orlando, FL (US)

I have been working at Sports Authority part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Discount is better than before now.

Cons

Management does not always do work.

Do more work

Was a good place to work as an hourly employee, but a horrible place to work as a salaried employee.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Sports Authority full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I was offered many promotions and different jobs during the 10 years I worked there.

Cons

They make promises they don't keep. I was promised days off for all the long hours I put in opening stores, and traveling to help store re-models. I was never actually given a single one.
    They put managers in a position where they can't possibly succeed unless they are good at lying or covering up problems.
    The communication between corp, DMs and the store level is horrible.

Understand that when you work salaried employees 60-80 hours a week, they are no longer effective. Don't make promises you can't keep. Learn to communicate. Unhappy employees = unhappy customers.

Great first job, but unsatisfying.

I have been working at Sports Authority

Pros

Flexible shifts
    Some Co-workers are great

Cons

No training
    Managers are at times unprofessional

They don't promote the encouragement of sales associates to reach out for corporate jobs

I have been working at Sports Authority

Pros

The discounts on the products are great!

Cons

Don't encourage growth within the associates. As an internal candidate for corporate or any other positions, it is a very antiquated system when applying

Ask your associates and value their opinions more as they are the ones on the floor with the customers

Tasks outweigh on-hand help

Current Employee - Warehouse Lead in Burbank, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Warehouse Lead in Burbank, CA (US)

I have been working at Sports Authority full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Fun environment
    - Good location
    - Benefits packages
    - Training programs

If you're into sports and looking for a part-time job, especially as a student in college, this is a good start. Most of the staff are friendly and try to keep the workplace fun.

Cons

- Very early hours (3am-11am shifts, typically)
    - Not enough staff
    - Not much cross-department training
    - Demands from upper level corporate management look at what stores need to do across the board, rather than looking individually at each store to see where problem areas lie

We ran into an issue where we weren't making our sales goals, and therefore hours for all employees were cut. The issue was when big department changes would occur, our store was responsible for getting the same amount of work done in the same time as stores with lots of help and extra hours. It became a game of picking what was important on a day-to-day basis, and trying to do the best for each day. Inevitably, if you did tasks A through X, you wouldn't hear, "Congrats on getting A through X done with such little help." You'd hear, "Why aren't Y and Z done," and then be brought into the back for a scolding.

Every associate, in my department and others, complained about not having enough time and support to do anything, and when it would get brought up in floor meetings, it seemed to be brushed off in the hopes it would magically change.

- Don't get upset at a department because you have to come in and help them to finish a task. Get upset at the instructions for being too much for that department to handle with their on-hands in the first place.
    - Spend more money on extra help before you need it. Having available associates on the floor in every department at all time and in those early mornings where merchandise and planograms are being worked is a necessity. Even if you don't have the money to spend, increasing that productivity early on will actually make you more money because people will enjoy shopping there more.

Sales Authority

Current Employee - Sales Authority in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Authority in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Sports Authority full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This is a good job to sharpen your retail sales skills. The company also offers a great discount for their employees. If you love sports, then this is a great job.

Cons

With most retail jobs, your work/life experience is difficult to manage. You work long hours and almost every holidays. The compensation is not good unless you are upper management.

Not a bad place to work in between other jobs

Current Employee - Visual/Merchandising Associate
    Current Employee - Visual/Merchandising Associate

I have been working at Sports Authority part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great people
    Great in store discount, cost plus 15%
    Online discount of 25% off
    Not hard work

Cons

Average first job or second job pay, can't live off it
    Not a lot of room for growth
    Company policy to make everyone work the day of thanksgiving and Christmas , also makes you work two days before and after each holiday. They threaten to fire you if you aren't okay with it
    District managers need to be nicer and not wreck the store if it's not up to their standards
    Always end up staying longer then your shift

Fix hours, pay a little more and don't tell me people when they can and can not take off if more people are needed make room in payroll to hire more.

OK, if you want to have a chill job

Former Employee - Fitness Authority in Miami, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Fitness Authority in Miami, FL (US)

I worked at Sports Authority part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very relaxed work environment, great discounts, about 45%-70% depending on the product. Good if you just want to make a little money while you go to school, not too demanding. Also Decent sales experience. As long as you talk to the customer and ask them questions on what they need, give them something you think will help you'll do fine. Your number really don't Matter until you become a leader.

Cons

When season hits you typically stay until 2 in the morning picking up the store. On Black Friday we spent the whole night before organizing. Just to stay the next night until 3 in the morning cleaning it all up. ECP is annoying because they are always on top of you to sell it, and you get a sense of accomplishment when you do, but then you begin to realize that sense of accomplishment is out of fear of not selling ECP and the managers getting on your case. Not because you got some reward. So you begin to get annoyed when they bring it up. If you want to make money here you have to have another job period. Most associates besides the Leaders get no more than 18 hour work weeks and I believe this to be due to the high amount of associates.

higher Pay, Less Associates to accommodate higher amount of hours per associate. This will bring turnover rates down.

Sales Floor Associate

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Ledgewood, NJ (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Ledgewood, NJ (US)

I have been working at Sports Authority full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefit package is acceptable for employees and family

Cons

Upper Management changes happen often