Sports Direct

Updated 12 November 2014
2.3

Sports Direct CEO David M. Forsey
David M. Forsey

Pros
  • Easy work, 15% discount, holiday pay every 3 months (depending on your hours) (in 7 reviews)

• Flexible hours and great people to work with (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • you have a zero hour contract so you can never guarantee whether you will have work (in 19 reviews)

• 0 Hour contracts (should be illegal) (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Good company to work

I worked at Sports Direct part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly Environment to work around

Cons

to much work load for individual

reduce work load on individual

Casual Assistant

Former Employee - Cast in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Cast in London, England (UK)

I worked at Sports Direct part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

flexible, no contracts, work whenever they need you to, some really nice, young staff

Cons

supervisors/managers can be rude and unprofessional, favouritism, often driven by sales they don't really care for you. I have seen staff upset because of the way managers/ supervisors treat them. No training provided staff can be thrown into the deep end quite quickly. Only have discounts on certain days which may be days you are not working

connect with staff, provide training, have a better attitude

Co-Workers Are Great, Perks Are Lacking

Current Employee - Customer Assistant in Denton, North West England, England (UK)

I have been working at Sports Direct as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

During my time at Sports Direct I have found that the best things about the job are the Zero-hour contract, which for me as a student allows me to work as and when I'm available (after school, school holidays etc) and also to take time off whenever I need it such as for exams and holidays with my family. Another great aspect of Sports Direct are the people. Even when the hours behind a till are starting to drag on a little there's always a friendly face next to you to make you smile.

Cons

Every now and then the customers can be rude, however I'm sure this is an occupational hazard for anyone in retail.

Increase pay from minimum wage. It isn't easy working six hours non stop 5 days a week and the pay should reflect this. The employee discount is pretty much non-existant, even with a valid pay slip and being on the only day of the week when the company gives a minimal employee discount I have been refused by stores as I don't work for that particular branch. Ideally the discount would be extended to 7 days a week and some form of proof other than personal information about my earnings should be given out to allow access to discounts.

poor business ethics, but can be used as a means to pay bills

Current Employee - Retail Sales Assistant in Bristol, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Assistant in Bristol, England (UK)

I have been working at Sports Direct as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

flexible working hours, friendly staff, promotion prospects

Cons

minimum wages, minimum breaks, maximum workload.

treat casual staff more like you treat management staff, there is a large divide.

fantastic and rewarding, don't believe everything you read

I have been working at Sports Direct full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

the rewards of working your way up in a company , hard work yes, long hours of course, but as with everything worthwhile in life what you put into it you get out of it, if you want an easy life do not work for sports direct, you want to work and earn beyond all expectations then this is the company for you

Cons

only negative here is people that don't want to work for a living and think that the company owes them

I enjoy being kept busy but Sports Direct constantly run at 100mph

Current Employee - Casual Sales Assistant
    Current Employee - Casual Sales Assistant

I have been working at Sports Direct part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The fast pace means you're constantly busy, whether you're serving or merchandising or doing little important jobs. The staff are great and the management are ok. Most of the time you're left to your own devices which shows a certain element of trust. Very flexible hours.

Cons

Communication is poor, staff are expected to take on more responsibility than they deserve, heavy emphasis on add-on sales and own-brand promoting takes away some of the fun from natural customer interaction. Very few staff get promoted from zero hours. Very poor health and safety.

Don't be a bully. Some managers take the hard line on poor add on sales which leads to demotivated, miserable staff. Lead by example; take more responsibility with training staff instead of leaving them with part time staff who won't train new people properly.

NO BREAKS AND MANAGERS WHO DO NO WORK!

Current Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Sports Direct part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I met some nice young staff there my age, we all had one thing in common we hated working there.

Cons

You stand there for hours being told you have to constantly be busy and get told with an attitude to sell bags but yet manager and supervisors stand at the front laughing with a costa coffee whilst they then later preach to us about no talking at all! They dont provide breaks to young people, many of the people i worked with went 7 hours without a break and to also think they were only 17 as well. Management spoke to staff with no respect what so ever, called people pathetic if they didnt sell the products which is hard to convince someone to buy something they dont need or want. Management moan when you need or want time off but when its their holidays and their kids they need time of its a different story.

Id love to see you do some actual work and try and sell awful insoles and them ugly sports direct bags. Give people their breaks! you always make sure you have yours and you go out of work even when its not your break to get a costa coffee! Try being respectful to the people you have hired and then maybe working will be a little easier. Also if you dont want us to talk shut YOUR mouths as well and stop laughing like animals at the front of the shop! BE THE EXAMPLE YOU WANT US TO FOLLOW! I had to leave after 4 months it was that bad.

illegal, unproffesional, and completely ridiculously run by management.

Former Employee - Retail Sales Assistant in Bradford, Yorkshire and the Humber, England (UK)

I worked at Sports Direct part-time (more than an year)

Pros

pros are that everyone hates it as much as the rest so everyone is friendly, that is about it.

Cons

bare minimum training.
    forced to cash up at 16 years of age but still getting paid 4 pounds an hour.
    having to start five minutes early and then finish five minutes or even later than that after you were supposed to finish but not getting paid for it.
    0 hour contract so they cut shifts if you do one thing wrong like leaving a few tags on some clothing but then get annoyed if you book time off which is well within rights to do so. Also getting shifts cut if they ring you up asking to work an hour before they want you to start.
    would never work here again.

treat your staff a lot better and you might actually keep some of them for a longer period of time, offer more progressive roles to people especially those who have worked there part time for a number of years.

Worst experience.

Former Employee - Customer Assistant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Assistant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Sports Direct part-time (less than an year)

Pros

One of the best in clothing retail industry.
    Learn about customer service
    Develop multitasking abilities as have to deal with both customers and closing up (and cleaning the large mess of clothes the customers are constantly making)
    Some co-workers helpful and amiable

Cons

Low pay
    No actual training, only an induction for an hour
    Says train-in-work but expects you to be super fast from the very first hour
    Does not give the paid break which is in the contract, if questioned to the supervisor be ready to get low hours next week.
    0 hour contract
    Not all co-workers helpful
    Manager is hard to approach
    Biasness towards the employees
    Suddenly changes your work department/section without discussing at all
    Every week the shop floor clothing placement changes so for weekend workers have to learn where is this and that all over again

Better training, better manager selection, not selfish ones who never gives the legal (mentioned on the contract) break and instead shows their higher ups that they have done the required work with less people and less hours, so they can take higher bonus themselves.

Everyone needs that ''worst job ever''

Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant
    Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant

I worked at Sports Direct as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

- For someone at school, hours were good to begin
    - Close to home
    - Learn new skills
    - Discount
    - Could fit hours around school as not contracted - good for exam period

Cons

- Bosses threatening attitudes
    - Pay
    - 0 hour contract
    - Once got asked to work at 5, but couldn't get in for that time without a taxi costing more than the money I would make. Boss then got angry and as I left asked if my mum could also pick up another member of staff who lived a 40 min diversion at 4am even though I had already said no.
    - Bags for life got you nothing but to keep your job - if people don't want bags you can't force them, your job should not depend on a 49p bag sales
    - People who had worked their for years were losing hours due to B4L sales, even though they had families to support - cheaper students were given more hours which made conflict between members of staff
    - Not all staff being able to remove items if double scanned then getting in trouble for having to call over a manager for a mistake
    - Tiny till space
    - Boiling, once fainted from the heat
    - Seen very ill staff at work, some even throwing up but staying just because they couldn't go home as they would lose that days pay and next weeks hours would be shocking
    - Discount was very low, only on a specific day if you could prove it was for yourself

Need to rethink company attitude when it comes to staff, in oppose to treating them like dirt and it may be a better working environment and you may have people who actually want to work not just because they need work.