Sports Direct

Be The First To
Add Photos

Sports Direct CEO David M. Forsey

David M. Forsey

Pros
  • Easy work, 15% discount, holiday pay every 3 months (depending on your hours) (in 7 reviews)

• First job, so allowed me to gain retail experience (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • zero hour contracts make it a pressured environment (in 13 reviews)

• 72 ph if you're under 18 (minimum wage) (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Good company to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFriendly Environment to work around

Consto much work load for individual

Advice to Senior Managementreduce work load on individual

Slave Drivers Rather Than Team Leaders

Sales Assistant (Current Employee) Liverpool, England (UK)

ProsSports Direct can be a chilled environment when it is not busy

ConsManagers appear to be hired based on their ability to talk to young staff like idiots. It is understandable that the store has targets that we must meet, but instead of talking to us like human beings, we have managers who talk with quite DE motivational words/tone of voice. There are regular upsets because of the managers who use their authority to put others down.
    Customers will be customers, but Sports Direct has unreal amounts of reasons to make a customer shout in your face, especially if you're a girl.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalking to someone like a lesser being is not beneficial to the company as sending your till staff to be the face of Sports Direct after dehumanising them won't paint a pretty picture of customer service.
    A lot of you need to sort out your inner demons because from my experience, the only superiors that have a problem with the world are the ones who evidently have no self-respect; through lack of hygiene, physical hindrances and so on.
    It should also be noted that the role of a manager, although being there to keep the staff in order, should create a positive atmosphere in order to motivate people to be a team through respect for the superiors. No one respects our superiors a part from one or two blue-shirts, basically because the negativity is completely uncalled for and over exaggerated, and is a sloppy and unethical way to get where the company is now.

Frustrating and stressful.

Cast (Current Employee) Stevenage, England (UK)

ProsThe main pros are the people. Some of the people you meet in the store are great fun to be with and make the working hours easier to bear. I also feel like my own confidence shot up since I started working with the company.

ConsI could only mention a few. But the main con is your performance (and in my case hours) being measured purely on KPI's which are little add-ons that you have to offer every customer. If you don't sell enough You'll be told your performance is poor and your not doing your job. Even if you put 110% effort in, if people don't agree to buying your add-ons, you will be told you are doing a poor job. and chances are having your hours cut, which brings me to my next point:

0 hour contracts. I'm not guaranteed any hours at all from week to week. While the contract can be helpful for students who need additional time off, for people needing a job to make money/support others. It's a rocky road without a guaranteed income. One month I can make £600 easily. The next month I may be struggling with only £300.

And this is more personal, but being here for 4-5 years and I've not moved through the company AT all. I'm stuck being a CAST member unless I leave. I haven't been given any opportunities and no-one seems to want to give me them.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop with the push on KPI's! Having them is a good idea, but the way they are being pushed is just makes work life stressful for both CAST and management. I know people are putting the effort you want them to put in and then not getting results, being passed off as poor performance just because customers didn't want a magazine. If it gets to the point when people are always leaving the work place depressed and not wanting to come to work, there is something really wrong.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Zero hour contract the problem

Casual Sales Assistant (Former Employee) Bury, North West England, England (UK)

ProsNo chance of company going bust, friendly people.

Conszero hour contracts make it a pressured environment. Have to constantly upsell the dam bag.Customers aren't the best. Received a lot of abuse, store wasn't really that organised

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of zero hour contracts. They are awful. Try and create a more friendly atmosphere. No team building whatsoever so it was very every man for himself.

Sportsdirect.com UK's number one!

Casual Sales Assistant (Current Employee) Hartlepool, England (UK)

ProsAble to have a life such as going to uni and a job with a reasonable pay at the side. Also helps with confidence when working with customers and making friends with other employees.

Cons0hr contract meaning you never know if your going to be work all week or even just one day and KPI's having to get a certain percentage everyday.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore to hours to the staff who make the effort instead of sharing them out with employers who stand around.

Your treated like a slave. You're not treated with any respect what so ever and left to feel very dis valued.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI did meet a handful of very good people i now consider my friends but other than that there isn't a thing i would say is a 'pro' about working at Sports Direct.

ConsI don't think the store is run efficiently enough. Very unorganized. Nor do i think the level of English being spoke is good enough. I use to have customers coming up to me constantly everyday asking if i'm English and that no one understands them when asking where something is.

Advice to Senior ManagementAbsolutely disgraceful. My old manager(s) use to take advantage of their position and favor certain employee's and give them more hours than other employee's. Treated like dirt.
    They was quick enough to pick you out for a little mistake but never praise you for the good work i felt i did on the shop floor dealing with angry customers because the level of English was a major barrier or because the amount of staff on duty wasn't good enough.

Worse company ever

Sales Assistant (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsNone. The only decent thing was the other people were nice and a made some friends. But that really does not out weigh the cons.

ConsEverything. Management was pervy and sleazy and just disgusting. Perved on customers and the workers. I was quite young when I worked there so I really didn't know how to handle the situation. Made you stay way past your shift without paying you. Treated you really bad, couldn't even speak to your co-workers. Just a disgraceful company. I would never ever tell anyone to apply there. The pay isn't even worth it, esp if you are under 18.

Advice to Senior ManagementFrom what I see when I go into the store, its still the same, workers looked stress and unhappy. Managers need to be trained better and not take advantage of young staff. Also the pay is rubbish so that should be fixed. And clothes are hung too high up.

Different to other employers!

Zero Hour Sales Assistant (Former Employee) Sheffield, England (UK)

ProsThe place was a good place to meet new friends as most people (non-management) were friendly and approachable.

Conspay, zero hour contracts, treat like rubbish, poor management

Advice to Senior ManagementWorking for sports direct was a very disatisfying opportunity as the management were poor and lacked empathy and leadership skills. They only wanted what was best for themselves and treat every member of staff underneath them like garbage. Knowing we got paid for every 15 minutes we was there was also disgusting, as if we finished at 9pm, management used to make us clock out at 9:14pm, so we wouldn't get paid for the near enough 15 minutes we had worked. I once stayed at the till until it turned to 9:15pm, as I knew the situation and was told rather rudely by a manager to get from behind the till and go home as they knew what I was doing, and said they would deduct the full 15 minutes from my wage for what I had done.
     I was fine with having to be checked on the way out of the shop, once leaving post shift, but having a manager (a male one at that) asking to lift my top up and my trouser legs to make sure there was nothing I had stolen was a bit disgusting.
    The zero hour contracts are also a poor way of treating your staff as who wants to work for people who have no respect for their staff, on minumum wage with no guarantee of any hours every week? I felt belittled as the management used to talk to me like I lacked social skills and had no IQ. I arrived late for my shift once and only once and after been on 40 hours a week for quite some time, I was cut to 3 hours a week and this is why I quit. People go to work to be treated fairly (given they show management respect too, which I ensure I did!), and to know they have a stable job with a proper wage at the end of every month. No one can build a life or make any stability in their life when working for Sports Direct as your hours were not promised from one week to the next!

Akin to working in a sweatshop

Casual Sales Assistant (Former Employee)

ProsFirst job, so allowed me to gain retail experience. Hours were flexible, so I could fit the job around college without it infringing upon my work.

ConsZero hour contract meant that sometimes, I'd only get 3 hours per week. As I had a car, earning £80 in a month was not really beneficial. The managers were nice people in my store, but there was a distinct lack of organisation. For example, most of the store's staff would be placed on tills, leaving me on the shopfloor on my own, and sometimes I was expected to split the queues (which made little sense to me, as I was not working anywhere near them). One of the supervisors was highly unprofessional, refusing to let me go home until ridiculous requests were fulfilled and behaved in a very condescending manner towards me. I didn't really feel welcomed by most of my colleagues, as they seemed to look down on me for having ambition and not doing their work on top of mine. Stock was blocking fire exits and the early morning exit, a severe health and safety risk. Metal delivery cages were left on the shop floor during trading hours, which meant that certain items couldn't be retrieved for customers. The radio communication system is good in theory; however, there were not enough to go around, and you were often verbally abused if you did not answer straight away (dealing with a customer means, to me, they are the priority). Staff room was the shoe store cupboard, whereby broken chairs and over-flowing bins were kept. There were no opportunities for progression either, and the pay, although minimum wage, was not good, particularly if you had bills to pay. Staff discount apparently only applied on Thursdays, and even on this day, I never received my discount.

Advice to Senior ManagementRe-evaluate the effectiveness of the zero hour contracts. Send in Regional members of staff to carry out the 'mystery shopper' task , because I don't think it is quite understood how poor the working conditions actually are.

Bonus obsessed culture Regionals and area managers wouldn't survive in a commercial driven retailer.

Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsStore teams remain positive even though the pressure on them at all times is unbearable.

ConsLack of training and development.
    Investment in wages is poor all to protect the profit pot, Store teams expected to work way beyond an acceptable level including extra hours unpaid.

Advice to Senior ManagementCan only hope that the retail team get changed at some point and Is lead by a strong retailer who wants to change the business and culture for the good of the company.

Worked for Sports Direct? Contribute to the Community!