Sports Direct

Updated 18 February 2015
2.2

Sports Direct CEO David M. Forsey
David M. Forsey

Pros
  • Easy work, 15% discount, holiday pay every 3 months (depending on your hours) (in 7 reviews)

• As it was my first job, and i was still at school, I was given flexible working hours around my school work (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • you have a zero hour contract so you can never guarantee whether you will have work (in 19 reviews)

• Everybody is on a 0 hour contract so they can take advantage of staff desperate for hours (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Good company to work

I worked at Sports Direct part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Friendly Environment to work around

Cons

to much work load for individual

reduce work load on individual

Not Great

Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant
    Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant

I worked at Sports Direct part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working there was like joining a family, the staff are all really friendly and we all had a laugh together, the manager also recognised that we weren't getting enough hours etc. and was always really apologetic about it. The incentive scheme is good, although not so much if you are only working the tills.

Cons

As some other reviews have said, the company doesn't offer much pay and the 0 hour contracts are a nightmare, especially if you're trying to live off the money you make there. The incentive scheme only gets paid out every three months and when I resigned I lost the money I should've had. I also was never trained to sell shoes which is where most of the incentive money is paid out.

I hear the 0 hour contracts will be changed soon, and I recommend at least 4 hour contracts to staff (like students etc.) but I think the majority of staff members want to see 8+ hour contracts.

assistant sales

I have been working at Sports Direct

Pros

good team environment, good hours

Cons

boring, can be quiet, poorly treated

Working for the devil

I have been working at Sports Direct

Pros

Get to wear trainers at work

Cons

I have been working for the part time for over 2 years. The company commits employment crimes on a daily basis with unfair breaks and working ours. Bad stock rooms im sure against health and saftey. The managers are so up themselves they dont treat you as a person more like a slave usually because they are uneducated and given promotions because they can sell extra socks. Locker rooms are infested with rats and god knows what else and i work at the flagship shop

Take a hard look at your managers there vindictive bullies who cant actually manage people.
    Give people fair hours some people have to live on your minimum wages have a heart

Worst 3 years of my life

Current Contractor - Casual Sales Assistant
    Current Contractor - Casual Sales Assistant

I have been working at Sports Direct as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Everyone is really friendly and it's feels much like a family. You also learn a few new skills. The 5 star incentives are a great way of earning extra cash but it's only paid out every 3 months which is sometimes a bit annoying but it does motivate you to sell and interact with customers.

Cons

Everything, the fact you're expected to drop everything in your diary even though you're on a 0 hour contract and only given a days notice in some cases about you're next shift. Communication is awful too - been on holiday (handed in a holiday request form) and had phone calls telling me i'm 15 minutes late for my shift.

Minimum wage - please increase the wages, I could barely afford to live and had to resort to my parents for cash nearly every month because i wasn't getting enough hours. I also think it's unfair that people work hard and take on responsibilities that they shouldn't be doing and have nothing to show for it at the end of the month.
    Training - I was trained up be a CAST member who clearly wasn't bothered about whether what I was learning was correct. There are lots of tasks that I have done which I shouldn't as I haven't received the right, if any, training whatsoever. Management or full time staff should be the ones training.

Severe ambivalence - North London, but pretty much everywhere right?

Current Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Sports Direct part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Meeting nice colleagues are a positive, been working for 2 years and I get the responsiblities of taking care of a whole floor due to my experience than others. I get paid £5.80 hourly I am 19 and I have to look after a 16 year old who is quite new who is on the same rate as me. My time is taken advantage of, and the managment could be a lot better when it comes to equality. Due to the companies "rewards" and "generosity" and the environment of working in Sports direct has made me mentally frustrated and have reached breaking point to continue as a "casual sales assistant." If you are treated infairly do not take no damn I work with a few amazing people that put our branch store in the Premiere League that Sports direct do not even deserve to have.

Cons

Given a burden of work and not getting anything more than I should. Getting "supervisor responsibilities" when they're off on break or off while I am on a 0-hour contract. And covering the security guards break at the front of the store which is extremely unprofessional. I will not be running after a thief or approaching them if they steal something and run. I am not trained and they want to put me in a security guards position. OH PLEASE.

Managment, you must treat everyone fairly with respect, at least have a smile on your face for at least an hour a day. Especially to your customers. Do not be lazy and put your load of work on my shoulders. I don't care if particular people are selling their KPI's amazingly. Treat everyone the same!

overall

I worked at Sports Direct

Pros

flexibility of hours
    valuable skills gained

Cons

pay rate
    shift patterns are awkward

basic competency interview

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Sports Direct full-time (less than a year)

Pros

not much to be honest

Cons

long hours, do not speak to anyone in a professional manner

There should be no swearing when talking to others managers or staff members.

Possible the worst company on the high street

Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Sports Direct part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Hard to think of a pro for sports direct. The only good thing that unites the workers is a hatred of the place

Cons

Awful training, terrible attitude from management towards breaks, zero hour contracts are a joke, whats the point of asking a worker their availability for shift if you are just going to be put into the rota at anytime

Treat workers as people, take time to listen to them, organise shifts better

Co-Workers Are Great, Perks Are Lacking

Current Contractor - Customer Assistant in Denton, North West England, England (UK)

I have been working at Sports Direct as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

During my time at Sports Direct I have found that the best things about the job are the Zero-hour contract, which for me as a student allows me to work as and when I'm available (after school, school holidays etc) and also to take time off whenever I need it such as for exams and holidays with my family. Another great aspect of Sports Direct are the people. Even when the hours behind a till are starting to drag on a little there's always a friendly face next to you to make you smile.

Cons

Every now and then the customers can be rude, however I'm sure this is an occupational hazard for anyone in retail.

Increase pay from minimum wage. It isn't easy working six hours non stop 5 days a week and the pay should reflect this. The employee discount is pretty much non-existant, even with a valid pay slip and being on the only day of the week when the company gives a minimal employee discount I have been refused by stores as I don't work for that particular branch. Ideally the discount would be extended to 7 days a week and some form of proof other than personal information about my earnings should be given out to allow access to discounts.