Stantec

Be The First To
Add Photos

Stantec President and CEO Bob Gomes

Bob Gomes

Pros
  • They have good benefits and an employee stock ownership program(in 12 reviews)

• Its a large company so there are options for moving around t he different offices or as they call them, "profit centers"(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Work sharing is limited because of the insecure nature of the firm and profit center design(in 5 reviews)

• Stantec's senior management is very good at producing propaganda geared to make its employees believe they are a top tier employer(in 5 reviews)

Not impressed during 4-month contract at Stantec

Electrical Drafter (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsRegular meetings. Fun employee events.

ConsTight deadlines sometimes but generally not much to do. Sometimes so boring

Advice to Senior ManagementPoor management. Lack of communications

civil site design engineer

Civil Engineer (Current Employee)

Prostons of different projects, rapid growth

Consa few long evenings per month to get everything done

Not too bad.

Structural Designer (Former Employee)

ProsThe benefits and overall security is great. The company is always growing and is constantly finding new areas to expand into. Financially the company is secure.

ConsSome company disconnect from the top. Many of the profit centers are left to make tough decisions in regard to personnel. The company at times has too much of a macro view.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to focus on becoming more transparent and allowing the everyday employee to better understand the management team and the basis of the decisions that are made.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Just a number! Pay cap to positions. Hard work unrecognized and undervalued.

Project Administrator (Former Employee) Milwaukee, WI (US)

ProsVery good project management tools and strategies. Excellent corporate resources and employee tools. Strong business/accounting strategies.

ConsEmployees are just a number. Hard work is not recognized. Local managers authority is undervalued after acquisition. Employees are not invested in for tuition or promotions unless new management feels they can promote employee. Hardwork is not enough, employee must brown-nose new managers to prove worth.

Advice to Senior ManagementSee above. Hard work needs to be encouraged and regonized. Give local managers authority to give promotions. Invest in your employees education and seminars. There is too much push back. I worked extremely hard covering for several employees and did it more accurately and efficient...my efforts and ideas called for a promotion and raise. My ideas and efficientcy improved my department and other staff used my techniques. My concerns of no career advancement and cap on my position pay was discussed several times calling for management meetings. Nothing came of this meetings and I was told management needs a reason to promote me and they need to be 'calling my name' in order to prove to upper management my worth. That statement felt as if Stantec undervalued all my hard work and requires me to brown-nose management. Some local staff in my department were more worried about keeping their position than mentoring staff. Upper management should have realised this and re-evaluated if that position was needed. By right sizing the department the hardworking talented employees will have room for advancement and Stantec will retain the talented staff. I found Stantec's losses talented staff to competitors in my area. Working in a competetors office my first impression is the number of talented staff and how much I can learn from them. This was very noticable. Stantec needs to improve by hiring talented people in all departments including support roles. Too many entry level staff.

The 2 faces of Stantec Calgary

Pipelines (Current Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsThe best thing about this place is the quarry park location in south calgary, at least i dont need to drive dt

ConsUnfriendly co-workers (cimarron), no standards, drafting department is run by an idiot, i could go on and on. This place turns my stomach

Advice to Senior ManagementDo as urprise audit on the quarry park office and watch peolpes eyes glaze over.

It's a job.

ProsStantec very often hires college level students when others aren't which is great for people just starting out their career. Opportunity to get interesting jobs if you are willing to move for an extended period of time.

ConsCompetitive internal structure makes it difficult to participate in multi-office/multi-discipline work when everything is about the bottom line. No promotions, or career advancement that I can see. Your interests are not really taken into account unless they align exacty with department objectives.

Excellent with good growth opportunity

ProsIt's a great place to work and I love it there.

Consleadership is too rigid, some travel req'd.

Great benefits, seemed to keep employees on a good career path.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits package, good management.

ConsStantec bought the company I worked for, the transition was difficult and we all felt like second rate citizens.

Great, fun place to work

Prosawesome benefits. great people. The people genuinely care about each other, and there is a great atmosphere. They organization seems to care about their people and treat their people very well.

Conslarge organizations can be difficult for certain personality types to work in

Well rounded and diverse company

Piping Designer (Current Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsDiscounted Shares, Overtime ability, Career opportunities

ConsVacation time, Mandatory unpaid week off for christmas

Worked for Stantec? Contribute to the Community!