Starbucks Reviews

4,782 Reviews

Starbucks Chairman, President, and CEO Howard D. Schultz
Howard D. Schultz
3,247 Ratings

Pros
  • The best part of working there were the benefits offered to part time employees (in 437 reviews)

• You also get to enjoy a nice perk of receiving a free pound of coffee or tea each week (in 220 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is nearly impossible to achieve until you've gained experience (in 124 reviews)

• While I was with the company, there was a huge turnaround with district managers (in 135 reviews)

More Highlights

this is the best company of my 5year carrear

Current Employee - Barista Trainer in Delhi
    Current Employee - Barista Trainer in Delhi

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

teem work and good apportunitiese

Cons

i dont know about downsides

they shuld get feedback from partner

I am working as a Barista trainer from last 1 year, and leading my team

Current Employee - Senior Barista in Bangalore
    Current Employee - Senior Barista in Bangalore

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

One of the big brand in the world, lots of coffee experiance

Cons

Looking forward for customer satisfication ike Taste, Speed and Friendliness

Need more rocking with team than other brand

Great company if you can handle it

Former Employee - Barista
    Former Employee - Barista

I worked at Starbucks part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The benefits are out of sight. I was offered Starbucks stock after my first year, as well as 401k through Fidelity, and a superb Blue Cross Blue Shield health insurance plan. You can cover your whole family with that plan, and it can include domestic partners. I got a pound of free coffee every week and free coffee all day (although I think that was specific to my store, which bent the rules). There's also an Employee Assistance Hotline which you can call if you're having issues in your personal life. And HR is really responsive--they won't see you as a troublemaker if you're legitimately having an issue. They will handle it.

Also, sexual orientation and gender identity are included in their anti-discrimination policy. None of the gay or lesbian people on my staff got crap for it, even though about half the staff was quietly conservative Christian and Republican.

If you're a people person, you develop relationships with the regulars and it's fun to make their day. I felt it was pretty rewarding to make drinks. I loved the artistic side of it. And again, the free coffee...just awesome.

They're also usually pretty flexible about scheduling, so it's ideal for if you're working two jobs or are a student. I worked with people in their 50's who had their own careers, but worked part-time at Starbucks for the health insurance.

The vacation time system is also pretty sweet. I worked with a guy who was there for 10 years and took like a month vacation to his home country.

The staffs can be really tight...or they can be really vicious. But a spirit of teamwork is definitely encouraged. And exemplary work is recognized.

In an 8-hour shift you get three breaks: one 30-minute clock-out lunch, and two 10-minute on the clock breaks.

You'll also occasionally get those amazing customers and you live for seeing them. We had four customers who every year each put 100 bucks in our tip jar around Christmas. Sometimes those people can make your day with the things they say and do.

Cons

If you work at a store worth their salt they will work you to the bone. Especially in a large or high-volume store there is so much to do, so much to clean. A morning shift person will have the absolutely insanity of a morning rush, but an evening person should be expected to handle evening rushes with a limited staff as WELL as get the place spotless in what I believe is not a reasonable time. We could get the place clean by 10:45, all right--if we broke the health and corporate rules about when to tear things down. And of course if that was ever found out we were in deep. And if we went over 10:45 we were also in trouble. Management sometimes has some very unrealistic ideas about what the job actually entails and what rules and boundaries should go with that.

The pay in my state starts near minimum wage. The ceiling for a barista is $10/hr, which you hit when you've been there about five years. But tips help, and some high-volume affluent stores will have tips up to $4/hr.

There's also a tendency to have fanatical management. Other "kindly" corporations like Whole Foods have this too--the managers drink the Kool-Aid and worship the company. I once spoke with my manager because my schedule was being changed with less than 24 hours notice, and that was against state law. She got this crazed look in her eye and spat "Starbucks law goes above state law!" But that's only a tendency. There are some pretty cool managers out there. Mine was insane.

The customers are spoiled rotten so they also get kind of unreasonable about their Starbucks. They will stand there and demand that you make a drink five times because there's still foam on that latte and they said NO foam, not LIGHT foam. This is a business model of Starbucks': everyone is special, and we will bend the rules for everybody. And I've had people scream at me and call me a (b) and promise me that they would make me lose my job. I've also had stuff thrown at me. But, that's also just customer service.

These last few years Starbucks has been obsessed with selling, too. There's a lot of pressure on the staff to make sure people go home with $15 bags of coffee and sub-par espresso machines. It's hard to maintain the relationships they want us to maintain while trying to sell stuff.

Overall, if you can put up with the customers and the physical demand, and if benefits are more important than income, do it. It's rewarding in its own way. Wear insoles.

Drop the obsession with sales. You're damaging customer relationships and making yourself look like "Just another corporation."

Benefitss

Current Employee - Barista in San Juan, PR (US)
    Current Employee - Barista in San Juan, PR (US)

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits great salary community

Cons

None good company to work

Great College job but very hard work

Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Murrieta, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Murrieta, CA (US)

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The benefits are good with a 401k, medical, stock plans, and college reimbursement makes this a wonderful starting job. And the store I work at we are all practically a family.

Cons

Very hard work which can be stressful at times. When your working a drive thru store at night your expected to fend for yourself as far as getting tasks done and making your own drinks. And the pay isn't that great.

Have more people working nights so we can get tasks done in the time you ask.

Great company, happiness depends management.

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Jacksonville, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Jacksonville, FL (US)

I worked at Starbucks part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are amazing, they hire great people. They seem to genuinely care about their employees, even upper management ( corporate)

Cons

Hours can be long. You may have very early or late night shifts.

Please hire personable district managers and store mangers. Many times I have been treated poorly, mostly by district managers. I have worked at 7 stores in five cities and two states, and only had one District manager worth anything. They need to stop outside hiring those roles.

Barista

Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You can learn how to make coffee well and you will meet awesome regular customers.
    And, it's very fun making coffee and working with other cool staffs. And you can get free coffee beans or teas every week and two free drinks on your working day. If you like coffee, you will love this job.

Cons

Usually, Starbucks stores are extremely busy. if you can do multitasking and are a quick learner, it would be ok. And, there are many things such as cleaning up the bar & condiment bar & washrooms, filling the ingredients up, and giving customer services you have to do. So, it's not easy but fun job.

At first, there are lots of things to memorize and to do. It might make you so confused and overwhelmed. But, I think if you work for starbucks, you can learn about customer service (not just saying hello, you can really interact with customers), making many different beverages, and working with others well. if you need help, other co-workers will help you. So, try to enjoy. Smile and connect with customers. Sometimes, you might feel bad because of some customers sometimes but you will feel happy with other awesome & friendly customers.

Great Benefits...Hard Work

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company benefits are amazing. Large Company so there is a lot of room to move up. Meet Awesome people. Flexible hours. Ability to learn a new skill set. Free Drinks.

Cons

Constantly dealing with different personalities. Work hard for not much money. High turnover. Continued stress on the partners.

Great benefits, great atmosphere, low pay

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Davis, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Davis, CA (US)

I worked at Starbucks full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing benefits such as health, dental, optical, as well as shares in Starbucks stock and highly discounted or free beverages, food, and merchandise. Even though I think any work environment is highly dependent on the local management, on average (based on working as a supervisor in three different stores) Starbucks maintains a fast-pace, vibrant, and fun atmosphere to work in. Time flies by and most of the people you meet (co-workers and customers) are truly wonderful.

Cons

Very low pay given the hard work and high energy required as a barista, supervisor, or store manager.

To regional and district manager--pay more attention to your store managers! They make or break your stores. I worked in three under 5 different store managers and several different regional managers, and they truly vary. Some upper management cares and visits stores regularly to maintain consistency and accountability, and some never come around. In regard to the store managers, everyone has strengths and weaknesses, but some store managers really take advantage of their employees' good-nature and hard-work. Some store-managers also knew very little about food, safety, and sanitary standards, and did not enforce them, which was horrifying to me as an employee and as a customer.

Worked up through the company, Starbucks Store Manager

Current Employee - Store Manager in Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

training, community, leadership, introduction to business analysis

Cons

work-life balance, compensation, bonus potential based on comp sales

Keep ears attuned to buzz words and changing area priorities. Development past the SM position is unlikely, as gap between SM and DM position is large.