Starbucks Reviews

4,494 Reviews

Starbucks Chairman, President, and CEO Howard D. Schultz
Howard D. Schultz
3,058 Ratings

Pros
  • The best part of working there were the benefits offered to part time employees (in 401 reviews)

• You also get to enjoy a nice perk of receiving a free pound of coffee or tea each week (in 200 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance was preached corporately but ignored in the field (in 109 reviews)

• Store Managers and District Managers are disconnected from hourly partners (in 114 reviews)

More Highlights

this is the best company of my 5year carrear

Current Employee - Barista Trainer  in  Delhi
    Current Employee - Barista Trainer in Delhi

I have been working at Starbucks full-time for more than a year

Pros

teem work and good apportunitiese

Cons

i dont know about downsides

they shuld get feedback from partner

I am working as a Barista trainer from last 1 year, and leading my team

Current Employee - Senior Barista  in  Bangalore
    Current Employee - Senior Barista in Bangalore

I have been working at Starbucks full-time for more than a year

Pros

One of the big brand in the world, lots of coffee experiance

Cons

Looking forward for customer satisfication ike Taste, Speed and Friendliness

Need more rocking with team than other brand

Great company if you can handle it

Former Employee - Barista
    Former Employee - Barista

I worked at Starbucks part-time for more than a year

Pros

The benefits are out of sight. I was offered Starbucks stock after my first year, as well as 401k through Fidelity, and a superb Blue Cross Blue Shield health insurance plan. You can cover your whole family with that plan, and it can include domestic partners. I got a pound of free coffee every week and free coffee all day (although I think that was specific to my store, which bent the rules). There's also an Employee Assistance Hotline which you can call if you're having issues in your personal life. And HR is really responsive--they won't see you as a troublemaker if you're legitimately having an issue. They will handle it.

Also, sexual orientation and gender identity are included in their anti-discrimination policy. None of the gay or lesbian people on my staff got crap for it, even though about half the staff was quietly conservative Christian and Republican.

If you're a people person, you develop relationships with the regulars and it's fun to make their day. I felt it was pretty rewarding to make drinks. I loved the artistic side of it. And again, the free coffee...just awesome.

They're also usually pretty flexible about scheduling, so it's ideal for if you're working two jobs or are a student. I worked with people in their 50's who had their own careers, but worked part-time at Starbucks for the health insurance.

The vacation time system is also pretty sweet. I worked with a guy who was there for 10 years and took like a month vacation to his home country.

The staffs can be really tight...or they can be really vicious. But a spirit of teamwork is definitely encouraged. And exemplary work is recognized.

In an 8-hour shift you get three breaks: one 30-minute clock-out lunch, and two 10-minute on the clock breaks.

You'll also occasionally get those amazing customers and you live for seeing them. We had four customers who every year each put 100 bucks in our tip jar around Christmas. Sometimes those people can make your day with the things they say and do.

Cons

If you work at a store worth their salt they will work you to the bone. Especially in a large or high-volume store there is so much to do, so much to clean. A morning shift person will have the absolutely insanity of a morning rush, but an evening person should be expected to handle evening rushes with a limited staff as WELL as get the place spotless in what I believe is not a reasonable time. We could get the place clean by 10:45, all right--if we broke the health and corporate rules about when to tear things down. And of course if that was ever found out we were in deep. And if we went over 10:45 we were also in trouble. Management sometimes has some very unrealistic ideas about what the job actually entails and what rules and boundaries should go with that.

The pay in my state starts near minimum wage. The ceiling for a barista is $10/hr, which you hit when you've been there about five years. But tips help, and some high-volume affluent stores will have tips up to $4/hr.

There's also a tendency to have fanatical management. Other "kindly" corporations like Whole Foods have this too--the managers drink the Kool-Aid and worship the company. I once spoke with my manager because my schedule was being changed with less than 24 hours notice, and that was against state law. She got this crazed look in her eye and spat "Starbucks law goes above state law!" But that's only a tendency. There are some pretty cool managers out there. Mine was insane.

The customers are spoiled rotten so they also get kind of unreasonable about their Starbucks. They will stand there and demand that you make a drink five times because there's still foam on that latte and they said NO foam, not LIGHT foam. This is a business model of Starbucks': everyone is special, and we will bend the rules for everybody. And I've had people scream at me and call me a (b) and promise me that they would make me lose my job. I've also had stuff thrown at me. But, that's also just customer service.

These last few years Starbucks has been obsessed with selling, too. There's a lot of pressure on the staff to make sure people go home with $15 bags of coffee and sub-par espresso machines. It's hard to maintain the relationships they want us to maintain while trying to sell stuff.

Overall, if you can put up with the customers and the physical demand, and if benefits are more important than income, do it. It's rewarding in its own way. Wear insoles.

Drop the obsession with sales. You're damaging customer relationships and making yourself look like "Just another corporation."

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Awesome

Former Employee - Barista  in  Shreveport, LA (US)
    Former Employee - Barista in Shreveport, LA (US)

I worked at Starbucks part-time for less than a year

Pros

Free coffee and tea, free beans and tea bags, tips never less than a dollar extra an hour. Breat benefits, including PTO and vacation time opportunities for all associates. Healthcare/tuition assistance offered, too.

Cons

Management changed, leaving the store less fun to work for. Scheduling was pretty bad, with several baristas being scheduled to work when they couldn't

Don't tell baristas that you're planning to fire other baristas

Fun and fair

Current Employee - Barista
    Current Employee - Barista

I have been working at Starbucks full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The hours can be customized to your life while you are paid a competitive wage. There are nice benefits to take advantage of, especially if you love coffee. A very positive work culture.

Cons

Certain stressful times require strong work flow. Pressure to sell certain items can sometimes take away from the customer experience.

There could be more reviews for managers than just bottom line. Blind reviews by partners are always good.

Fun co-workers, great customers, low pay

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor  in  Midland, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Midland, TX (US)

I worked at Starbucks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I loved building relationships with co-workers and customers. The training is great and all the policies and procedures were in writing which made it to where everyone did everything the same.

Cons

The pay is low for new employees. Many times shifts were not scheduled well and you would get off at midnight and be expected to be back the next morning at 5am.

I think senior management of this company is doing a great job! The benefits are exceptional but I think many people would rather have more pay then extra benefits.

Barista

Former Employee - Barista  in  Charleston, SC (US)
    Former Employee - Barista in Charleston, SC (US)

I worked at Starbucks part-time for more than a year

Pros

The barista position is the front-line of Starbucks. After you learn how to do everything, it is a relatively low stress job, good compensation plus tips, opportunities for advancement

Cons

Depends on the manager/store. Some are great/empowering, some are micro-managers and don't trust their baristas

Okay but not great...

Former Employee - Barista  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Barista in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Starbucks full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Flexible hours, fun coworkers, some nice customers, cash tips and free drinks and food!

Cons

Mean customers that don't care how they treat baristas, store managers only care about getting promoted than looking out for their employees, district managers are useless, the quality of crafting espresso drinks is less of a priority, making the pastry case crumb free is more important.

Better organization and treat your baristas and supervisors with care. Supervisors are taken advantage of at Starbucks.

Good Job

I have been working at Starbucks

Pros

Good team work with all employees

Cons

Consider extra staffing during peak times

Good First Job/ College Job

Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks  in  Farmingdale, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Farmingdale, NY (US)

I have been working at Starbucks full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great benefit options (min 20 hours a week for Health Insurance) and hour choices. This is the ideal job for a college student; whether you work in the Morning & take night classes or work nights and take AM classes, there are hours for you. Tuition reimbursement and opportunities to be promoted to Shift Supervisor looks great on your resume. 30% Employee discount and free drinks during shifts. You will build strong relationships with your co-workers (partners) and they will live close to you.

Cons

You're a legalized drug dealer; people are not understanding when it comes to their coffee/caffeine. Be prepared to deal with irate customers often and to keep your composure. The company will rarely take your side, like all retail companies "The customer is always right." Busy stores are stressful, you will be expected to help a high volume of customers under a small amount of time, you will need to handle the stress well or will not enjoy this job. Taking off weekends and holidays is next to impossible. You will most likely work Christmas/Thanksgiving. The highest volume stores I've worked in often don't have the time or coverage to give you all your breaks, that means 7-8 hours on your feet in high stress and high volume shifts.

Pay attention to the volume of your stores. Do not hold your store managers responsible for over staffing the floor on weekends; they know what they are doing. Barista's who have been at Starbucks for years are often over worked but also incredibly knowledgeable about your customer base, reach out to them and get insight on new policy ideas or marketing campaigns.

Worked for Starbucks? Contribute to the Community!