Starbucks

4,447 Reviews

Starbucks Chairman, President, and CEO Howard D. Schultz
Howard D. Schultz
3,029 Ratings

Pros
  • The best part of working there were the benefits offered to part time employees (in 401 reviews)

• You also get to enjoy a nice perk of receiving a free pound of coffee or tea each week (in 200 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance was preached corporately but ignored in the field (in 109 reviews)

• Store Managers and District Managers are disconnected from hourly partners (in 114 reviews)

More Highlights

this is the best company of my 5year carrear

Current Employee - Barista Trainer  in  Delhi
    Current Employee - Barista Trainer in Delhi

Pros

teem work and good apportunitiese

Cons

i dont know about downsides

they shuld get feedback from partner

I am working as a Barista trainer from last 1 year, and leading my team

Current Employee - Senior Barista  in  Bangalore
    Current Employee - Senior Barista in Bangalore

Pros

One of the big brand in the world, lots of coffee experiance

Cons

Looking forward for customer satisfication ike Taste, Speed and Friendliness

Need more rocking with team than other brand

Great company if you can handle it

Former Employee - Barista
    Former Employee - Barista

Pros

The benefits are out of sight. I was offered Starbucks stock after my first year, as well as 401k through Fidelity, and a superb Blue Cross Blue Shield health insurance plan. You can cover your whole family with that plan, and it can include domestic partners. I got a pound of free coffee every week and free coffee all day (although I think that was specific to my store, which bent the rules). There's also an Employee Assistance Hotline which you can call if you're having issues in your personal life. And HR is really responsive--they won't see you as a troublemaker if you're legitimately having an issue. They will handle it.

Also, sexual orientation and gender identity are included in their anti-discrimination policy. None of the gay or lesbian people on my staff got crap for it, even though about half the staff was quietly conservative Christian and Republican.

If you're a people person, you develop relationships with the regulars and it's fun to make their day. I felt it was pretty rewarding to make drinks. I loved the artistic side of it. And again, the free coffee...just awesome.

They're also usually pretty flexible about scheduling, so it's ideal for if you're working two jobs or are a student. I worked with people in their 50's who had their own careers, but worked part-time at Starbucks for the health insurance.

The vacation time system is also pretty sweet. I worked with a guy who was there for 10 years and took like a month vacation to his home country.

The staffs can be really tight...or they can be really vicious. But a spirit of teamwork is definitely encouraged. And exemplary work is recognized.

In an 8-hour shift you get three breaks: one 30-minute clock-out lunch, and two 10-minute on the clock breaks.

You'll also occasionally get those amazing customers and you live for seeing them. We had four customers who every year each put 100 bucks in our tip jar around Christmas. Sometimes those people can make your day with the things they say and do.

Cons

If you work at a store worth their salt they will work you to the bone. Especially in a large or high-volume store there is so much to do, so much to clean. A morning shift person will have the absolutely insanity of a morning rush, but an evening person should be expected to handle evening rushes with a limited staff as WELL as get the place spotless in what I believe is not a reasonable time. We could get the place clean by 10:45, all right--if we broke the health and corporate rules about when to tear things down. And of course if that was ever found out we were in deep. And if we went over 10:45 we were also in trouble. Management sometimes has some very unrealistic ideas about what the job actually entails and what rules and boundaries should go with that.

The pay in my state starts near minimum wage. The ceiling for a barista is $10/hr, which you hit when you've been there about five years. But tips help, and some high-volume affluent stores will have tips up to $4/hr.

There's also a tendency to have fanatical management. Other "kindly" corporations like Whole Foods have this too--the managers drink the Kool-Aid and worship the company. I once spoke with my manager because my schedule was being changed with less than 24 hours notice, and that was against state law. She got this crazed look in her eye and spat "Starbucks law goes above state law!" But that's only a tendency. There are some pretty cool managers out there. Mine was insane.

The customers are spoiled rotten so they also get kind of unreasonable about their Starbucks. They will stand there and demand that you make a drink five times because there's still foam on that latte and they said NO foam, not LIGHT foam. This is a business model of Starbucks': everyone is special, and we will bend the rules for everybody. And I've had people scream at me and call me a (b) and promise me that they would make me lose my job. I've also had stuff thrown at me. But, that's also just customer service.

These last few years Starbucks has been obsessed with selling, too. There's a lot of pressure on the staff to make sure people go home with $15 bags of coffee and sub-par espresso machines. It's hard to maintain the relationships they want us to maintain while trying to sell stuff.

Overall, if you can put up with the customers and the physical demand, and if benefits are more important than income, do it. It's rewarding in its own way. Wear insoles.

Drop the obsession with sales. You're damaging customer relationships and making yourself look like "Just another corporation."

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Wonderful company with amazing benefits, great customers, awesome vibe, and amazing partners. 10/10

Pros

Tuition reimbursement, customers are great, vibe is wonderful, benefits are amazing.

Cons

Customer service is the name of the game. You really need to be personable.

Assistant Store Manager

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

Pros

Starbucks is a responsible company that tries to take care of it's partners and it's surrounding environment. The culture is fast paced and you take away more things than just how to make coffee.

Cons

The company is in a competitive market and tries to innovate to stay on top of it's game. In doing so, it's losing the personal touch and connection it used to have with customers. Partners are often over worked and there are just so many customizations to drinks and food that it has become unreasonable. It slowly becoming a fast food chain like McDonalds and less about coffee culture.

Get rid of fizzio. Stop with the individual pulling of pastries. Go back to being about coffee and tea. You're going in the right direction with helping partners pay for college and continuing with 401k contributions etc.

Great place to start and develop soft skills

Pros

Great working environment, comraderie and the sense of belonging. Accrued vacation hours, stock plans, 401k, Tuition reimbursements. The company sets you up to succeed and helps make you feel truly part of the team. As mentioned in Title, it's a really good place to develop your soft skills.

Cons

Management and staff can greatly affect experience if even one partner causes trouble. Phantomed at some stores where partners were non-chalant and just didn't have a great attitude, it really adds to an already at times stressful work environment if handling a high volume of customers. Constant promotions while trying to achieve certain goals can be at times overwhelming

barista

Current Employee - Barista  in  East Chicago, IN (US)
    Current Employee - Barista in East Chicago, IN (US)

Pros

My overall experience with Starbucks was great.
    A typical day at Starbucks would be waking up early to do what we do best, make coffee and interact with customers. I learned how to provide the best customer experience at Starbucks to ensure the customer felt inclined to return to our store. It wouldn't be possible with out great co workers who continue to encourage you to better yourself with positive feedback. Everyone looked out for one another. We are like a giant family, which was one of the most enjoyable parts of working at Starbucks. It definitely made for a great work environment.

Cons

free drinks, fun atmosphere
    : rude people, low hours

try and have more fun with the job. Its just coffee.

Fast paced- perfection demanded

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor

Pros

For me the best part of Starbucks is the people i get to intract with on a daily basis. I love my regulars and my partners. I get to impact people in a positive way every morning. Our goal as a company is to "create inspired moments" and it really does happen and I truely do get to see it in the lives of my customers.

Cons

You MUST be a people person or this job will be quite the burden. You MUST have a think skin to be able to brush off customer complaints. for me the difficult part is that the company expectations are sometime unrealistic. the demand is very high and the expectation is for perfection. I have heard that the farther away you are from seattle the less true this is. But as a partner working in the seattle area the ecpectaition is intense.

Playbook is aweful and doesnt work that well. we can only go so far with the LEAN modle before we are ruining the customer experiance.

This is a great company that strives to lift up their employees in all aspects of their work life.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

Pros

They encourage planning and training for obtaining the job you aspire to. Quite generous pay and benefits.

Cons

"The Starbucks Culture" way of treating people has not worked its way down to all of the people managers [not a surprise...you always can find the odd duck.] This can make an employee disillusioned and just as frustrated as workers at Amazon.

Please be sure that your department leaders are both embodying the expected culture and passing on the importance of this to their direct reports and people managers.......BEFORE they have responsibility over the work lives of others.

Amazing company to work for!

Pros

Everyone is great to work with.

Cons

Expected to stay late sometimes.

Worked for Starbucks? Contribute to the Community!