Starbucks

3.7 4,272 reviews

Starbucks Chairman, President, and CEO Howard D. Schultz

Howard D. Schultz

(2,910 ratings)

Pros
  • Great benefits even for part time employees and a supportive work atmosphere(in 394 reviews)

• You also get to enjoy a nice perk of receiving a free pound of coffee or tea each week(in 200 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance was preached corporately but ignored in the field(in 107 reviews)

• Store Managers and District Managers are disconnected from hourly partners(in 111 reviews)

4,272 Employee Reviews

this is the best company of my 5year carrear

Barista Trainer (Current Employee) Delhi

Prosteem work and good apportunitiese

Consi dont know about downsides

Advice to Senior Managementthey shuld get feedback from partner

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

I am working as a Barista trainer from last 1 year, and leading my team

Senior Barista (Current Employee) Bangalore

ProsOne of the big brand in the world, lots of coffee experiance

ConsLooking forward for customer satisfication ike Taste, Speed and Friendliness

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed more rocking with team than other brand

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Shift Supervisor

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat fun when working under the good management. Perks are awesome. Customers can be amazing sometimes. All in all if you work in a strong store you'll love it.

ConsPay is not enough for shift managers. If you are in a store run by lazy managers you will hate your job. Sadly it seems good managers can be far and few between.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring lazy dispassionate/mediocre managers who take advantage of their title and work hardly any hours yet get salaried. Quality vs. quantity comes to mind. Happy employees equals better customer service which equals more business.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great benefits, realistic expectations, getting a bit too much like 'Fast Food'...

Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) Glenwood Springs, CO (US)

ProsYou can work as little as 20 hours per week and get full-time benefits. Discounts and free coffee. Customer interaction. Some stores are awesome and you get to see regular faces and connect and enjoy great coffee together. Store Management teams are ususally great and really mean well. For the most part, great environment.

ConsThe company is beginning to feel like a high priced McDonalds. Becoming very corporate fast food... People (customers and partners) are mattering less and less and more focus is being put on numbers, profits and bottom lines. Less training = less knowledgeable partners = terrible service and no kind of consistency. Higher up management is more often than not completely unexperienced and newer to the company than most of the partners ACTUALLY WORKING in the stores. They are not there to help, they are not team players, they only exist, form what I can tell, to criticize.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember why Starbucks is awesome! People and great coffee! Customers should feel important! Partners should have fun, love serving up the most delicious beverages and be empowered to connect with one another and their customers. We're Starbucks! We're going to make money! Let's get back to the people who make that possible.

Great company if you can handle it

Barista (Former Employee)

ProsThe benefits are out of sight. I was offered Starbucks stock after my first year, as well as 401k through Fidelity, and a superb Blue Cross Blue Shield health insurance plan. You can cover your whole family with that plan, and it can include domestic partners. I got a pound of free coffee every week and free coffee all day (although I think that was specific to my store, which bent the rules). There's also an Employee Assistance Hotline which you can call if you're having issues in your personal life. And HR is really responsive--they won't see you as a troublemaker if you're legitimately having an issue. They will handle it.

Also, sexual orientation and gender identity are included in their anti-discrimination policy. None of the gay or lesbian people on my staff got crap for it, even though about half the staff was quietly conservative Christian and Republican.

If you're a people person, you develop relationships with the regulars and it's fun to make their day. I felt it was pretty rewarding to make drinks. I loved the artistic side of it. And again, the free coffee...just awesome.

They're also usually pretty flexible about scheduling, so it's ideal for if you're working two jobs or are a student. I worked with people in their 50's who had their own careers, but worked part-time at Starbucks for the health insurance.

The vacation time system is also pretty sweet. I worked with a guy who was there for 10 years and took like a month vacation to his home country.

The staffs can be really tight...or they can be really vicious. But a spirit of teamwork is definitely encouraged. And exemplary work is recognized.

In an 8-hour shift you get three breaks: one 30-minute clock-out lunch, and two 10-minute on the clock breaks.

You'll also occasionally get those amazing customers and you live for seeing them. We had four customers who every year each put 100 bucks in our tip jar around Christmas. Sometimes those people can make your day with the things they say and do.

ConsIf you work at a store worth their salt they will work you to the bone. Especially in a large or high-volume store there is so much to do, so much to clean. A morning shift person will have the absolutely insanity of a morning rush, but an evening person should be expected to handle evening rushes with a limited staff as WELL as get the place spotless in what I believe is not a reasonable time. We could get the place clean by 10:45, all right--if we broke the health and corporate rules about when to tear things down. And of course if that was ever found out we were in deep. And if we went over 10:45 we were also in trouble. Management sometimes has some very unrealistic ideas about what the job actually entails and what rules and boundaries should go with that.

The pay in my state starts near minimum wage. The ceiling for a barista is $10/hr, which you hit when you've been there about five years. But tips help, and some high-volume affluent stores will have tips up to $4/hr.

There's also a tendency to have fanatical management. Other "kindly" corporations like Whole Foods have this too--the managers drink the Kool-Aid and worship the company. I once spoke with my manager because my schedule was being changed with less than 24 hours notice, and that was against state law. She got this crazed look in her eye and spat "Starbucks law goes above state law!" But that's only a tendency. There are some pretty cool managers out there. Mine was insane.

The customers are spoiled rotten so they also get kind of unreasonable about their Starbucks. They will stand there and demand that you make a drink five times because there's still foam on that latte and they said NO foam, not LIGHT foam. This is a business model of Starbucks': everyone is special, and we will bend the rules for everybody. And I've had people scream at me and call me a (b) and promise me that they would make me lose my job. I've also had stuff thrown at me. But, that's also just customer service.

These last few years Starbucks has been obsessed with selling, too. There's a lot of pressure on the staff to make sure people go home with $15 bags of coffee and sub-par espresso machines. It's hard to maintain the relationships they want us to maintain while trying to sell stuff.

Overall, if you can put up with the customers and the physical demand, and if benefits are more important than income, do it. It's rewarding in its own way. Wear insoles.

Advice to Senior ManagementDrop the obsession with sales. You're damaging customer relationships and making yourself look like "Just another corporation."

Good place

Barista (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsThey have flexible scheduling, the staff is very professional with practically no office drama.

ConsVery minor hazing at my store, but management is cracking down on it. Not too big of a deal.

Hard, cool, & fun

Barista (Current Employee) Knoxville, TN (US)

ProsAwesome benefits, although I never took advantage of them because I feared getting tied too closely to the company. The store I work at is VERY proactive and my general manager is very close to the regional manager, and goes by all the right rules. The training I had and the people I work with all make you feel as if their job is very important. Everyone works very very hard, even if they bash it at times. They have regular evaluations/raises. I even get discounts on random things through starbuckspartnerdiscounts.com (most of them are ads, but I do manage to get 40% off movie tickets, which I have taken advantage of.

ConsCustomers can be absurd. Its annoying when people order off of the "secret" menu and don't know the recipe and treat you like an idiot for not knowing it. There are a ton of things to memorize, and it can be overwhelming, especially for someone who doesn't even like coffee (like me). The fast paced environment can be overwhelming, especially if you feel like crap. People at my store make you feel like such a lazy bum if you're not working or don't understand something. Basically, YOU ARE MOVING 24/7 and if you're sick or sad, it doesn't matter, you work the same as if its the best day ever and you're getting paid minimum wage for it. Its pretty crazy for how hard you're working.

Advice to Senior ManagementCooperate could do a better job about being straight forward with their promotions. A lot of people freak out because they think that Starbucks will pay 100% for your college. Thats not the case AT ALL. I also wish base pay was higher..

An amazing experience

Barista (Former Employee) Towson, MD (US)

ProsLoved working here. The other baristas and shift supervisors were always extremely supportive!

ConsManagement was an issue at times. I believe quite a bit was required for minimum wage.

great learning environment

Barista - Starbucks (Current Employee) Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Prosgood benefit package. great people to work with.
    gain valuable customer service experience.
    get sales experience without pressure

Consdeal with difficult customers at times.
    heavy workload depends on location.

A company that generally cares about their employees!

Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) Lakeland, FL (US)

ProsStarbucks is a very positive company to work for. They place great emphasis on developing their employees into well-rounded people.

ConsStarbucks work-life balance is very difficult to maintain. The pay is not so amazing that it's incredibly easy to make it just on your scheduled shifts. Most managers do not schedule the shift supervisors to a complete 40 hours a week.

Worked for Starbucks? Contribute to the Community!