Starbucks

5,107 Reviews

Starbucks Chairman, President, and CEO Howard D. Schultz
Howard D. Schultz
3,445 Ratings

Pros
  • The best part of working there were the benefits offered to part time employees (in 452 reviews)

• You also get to enjoy a nice perk of receiving a free pound of coffee or tea each week (in 230 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is nearly impossible to achieve until you've gained experience (in 131 reviews)

• While I was with the company, there was a huge turnaround with district managers (in 140 reviews)

More Highlights

this is the best company of my 5year carrear

Current Employee - Barista Trainer in Delhi
    Current Employee - Barista Trainer in Delhi

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

teem work and good apportunitiese

Cons

i dont know about downsides

they shuld get feedback from partner

I am working as a Barista trainer from last 1 year, and leading my team

Current Employee - Senior Barista in Bangalore
    Current Employee - Senior Barista in Bangalore

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

One of the big brand in the world, lots of coffee experiance

Cons

Looking forward for customer satisfication ike Taste, Speed and Friendliness

Need more rocking with team than other brand

Great company if you can handle it

Former Employee - Barista
    Former Employee - Barista

I worked at Starbucks part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The benefits are out of sight. I was offered Starbucks stock after my first year, as well as 401k through Fidelity, and a superb Blue Cross Blue Shield health insurance plan. You can cover your whole family with that plan, and it can include domestic partners. I got a pound of free coffee every week and free coffee all day (although I think that was specific to my store, which bent the rules). There's also an Employee Assistance Hotline which you can call if you're having issues in your personal life. And HR is really responsive--they won't see you as a troublemaker if you're legitimately having an issue. They will handle it.

Also, sexual orientation and gender identity are included in their anti-discrimination policy. None of the gay or lesbian people on my staff got crap for it, even though about half the staff was quietly conservative Christian and Republican.

If you're a people person, you develop relationships with the regulars and it's fun to make their day. I felt it was pretty rewarding to make drinks. I loved the artistic side of it. And again, the free coffee...just awesome.

They're also usually pretty flexible about scheduling, so it's ideal for if you're working two jobs or are a student. I worked with people in their 50's who had their own careers, but worked part-time at Starbucks for the health insurance.

The vacation time system is also pretty sweet. I worked with a guy who was there for 10 years and took like a month vacation to his home country.

The staffs can be really tight...or they can be really vicious. But a spirit of teamwork is definitely encouraged. And exemplary work is recognized.

In an 8-hour shift you get three breaks: one 30-minute clock-out lunch, and two 10-minute on the clock breaks.

You'll also occasionally get those amazing customers and you live for seeing them. We had four customers who every year each put 100 bucks in our tip jar around Christmas. Sometimes those people can make your day with the things they say and do.

Cons

If you work at a store worth their salt they will work you to the bone. Especially in a large or high-volume store there is so much to do, so much to clean. A morning shift person will have the absolutely insanity of a morning rush, but an evening person should be expected to handle evening rushes with a limited staff as WELL as get the place spotless in what I believe is not a reasonable time. We could get the place clean by 10:45, all right--if we broke the health and corporate rules about when to tear things down. And of course if that was ever found out we were in deep. And if we went over 10:45 we were also in trouble. Management sometimes has some very unrealistic ideas about what the job actually entails and what rules and boundaries should go with that.

The pay in my state starts near minimum wage. The ceiling for a barista is $10/hr, which you hit when you've been there about five years. But tips help, and some high-volume affluent stores will have tips up to $4/hr.

There's also a tendency to have fanatical management. Other "kindly" corporations like Whole Foods have this too--the managers drink the Kool-Aid and worship the company. I once spoke with my manager because my schedule was being changed with less than 24 hours notice, and that was against state law. She got this crazed look in her eye and spat "Starbucks law goes above state law!" But that's only a tendency. There are some pretty cool managers out there. Mine was insane.

The customers are spoiled rotten so they also get kind of unreasonable about their Starbucks. They will stand there and demand that you make a drink five times because there's still foam on that latte and they said NO foam, not LIGHT foam. This is a business model of Starbucks': everyone is special, and we will bend the rules for everybody. And I've had people scream at me and call me a (b) and promise me that they would make me lose my job. I've also had stuff thrown at me. But, that's also just customer service.

These last few years Starbucks has been obsessed with selling, too. There's a lot of pressure on the staff to make sure people go home with $15 bags of coffee and sub-par espresso machines. It's hard to maintain the relationships they want us to maintain while trying to sell stuff.

Overall, if you can put up with the customers and the physical demand, and if benefits are more important than income, do it. It's rewarding in its own way. Wear insoles.

Drop the obsession with sales. You're damaging customer relationships and making yourself look like "Just another corporation."

Was great until the politics got in the way

Former Employee - Project Manager in Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Starbucks full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I was working on innovative projects that felt like they really mattered to the company and the environment at large. Starbucks really does care about the environment and the community, it is not just lip service like some companies.
    Benefits are good, particularly vacation time. Starts at the typical two weeks but increases much faster, starts at three years rather than usual five. It is an exceptional policy that allows full benefits at only 20 hours per week.
    There are many opportunities to grow your career. Interdepartmental transfers are encouraged and there are many opportunities for time limited assignments to try out different roles within the company.
    There is an annual employee survey that is taken seriously by the executives. Problems flagged by the survey actually get addressed.

Cons

Tends to be a disconnect between senior leadership and mid-level management. A lot of politics happen here and people tend to lose sight of company goals. There is a strong passive-aggressive culture, it takes a lot of follow up and general pestering to get things done.

While there are a lot of growth opportunities within the company compensation can lag far behind. It can take years to reach a pay-scale that is appropriate for the work that you are doing.

Stay in tune with what is happening at the lower levels. Not just what is trending from the partner survey but the day to day issues. You can lose great partners because of ineffective mid and lower management.

director

Current Employee - Director in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Director in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity to reflect, develop, prove and progress
    Very collaborative culture and a people company
    Politics lower than most companies
    Decent benefits
    Visionary Sr Leaders

Cons

Compensation not evenly distributed
    Decision making can be slow, but the organization as a whole is getting better at this
    Technological edge is state of the art in some verticals and lags in a few others

A dream part time job...

Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Belvidere, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Belvidere, IL (US)

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Compared to other food establishments, baristas at starbucks make a decent hourly wage plus tips. we also get very good benefits such as our "partner markout" which entitles us to a free pound of coffee or a box of tea per week. Also, it is a nice relaxing environment where you connect with the people you help.

Cons

unless you're a manager, you are typically looking at a max of 30 hours per week, but most of the time it is in the low 20's per week. It also can be a very stressful environment due to peak hours (2-3 hours generally in the morning) being when we see about 50% or more of our business, and the sometimes absurd customer requests that you will find out about when you start working here.

Keep doing what you're doing! the only thing that i could say would make it better is if there was a true "full time" barista position.

Strong values. A company with a heart and conscience.

Current Employee - Vice President in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Vice President in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Strong values and great culture
    Company attracts people who are aligned to the company's values
    Purpose goes well beyond adding shareholder value
    Leaders who care

Cons

longevity is highly valued which at times translates to mediocre talent staying too long

stay on path. Great balance between driving for results and taking care of our partners.

Barista- Amazing Job

Current Employee - Barista in Diamond Bar, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Barista in Diamond Bar, CA (US)

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Amazing coworkers who are always willing to help. Everyone is optimistic, happy, and genuinely caring. I have yet to come across a "coffee snob". Many people are knowledgable of coffee and are more than willing to teach anything. Great teamwork and I actually look forward to work.
    I received many hours of formal training before being exposed to working on my own. Wonderful people, very fun job, and a truly great experience.

Additional benefits:
    Tip sharing based on hours worked
    Stock bonuses
    Free drinks during every break
    1 lb. of free coffee grounds a week
    30% everything Starbucks

Cons

The only downside to working at a Starbucks is the opening time (if you are not a morning person). Work may start at 4:30AM if you "open" the store, as Starbucks opens to the public at 5:00AM.
    It is a fast paced environment if you are used to working somewhere slow (due to the high volume of customers).

None. My manager is wonderful and kind but firm on enforcing the regulations.

Coffee culture with the backing of a large ethical company.

I have been working at Starbucks

Pros

The benefits, the people, the coffee.

Cons

Can get hectic at times.

Amazing morals

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Benefits, hours, tips, free coffee , experimenting with drinks

Cons

Constantly on your feet, 4-5 day work week schedule