Starbucks Reviews

4,640 Reviews

Starbucks Chairman, President, and CEO Howard D. Schultz
Howard D. Schultz
3,152 Ratings

Pros
  • The best part of working there were the benefits offered to part time employees (in 421 reviews)

• You also get to enjoy a nice perk of receiving a free pound of coffee or tea each week (in 215 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is nearly impossible to achieve until you've gained experience (in 122 reviews)

• While I was with the company, there was a huge turnaround with district managers (in 129 reviews)

More Highlights

this is the best company of my 5year carrear

Current Employee - Barista Trainer  in  Delhi
    Current Employee - Barista Trainer in Delhi

I have been working at Starbucks full-time for more than a year

Pros

teem work and good apportunitiese

Cons

i dont know about downsides

they shuld get feedback from partner

I am working as a Barista trainer from last 1 year, and leading my team

Current Employee - Senior Barista  in  Bangalore
    Current Employee - Senior Barista in Bangalore

I have been working at Starbucks full-time for more than a year

Pros

One of the big brand in the world, lots of coffee experiance

Cons

Looking forward for customer satisfication ike Taste, Speed and Friendliness

Need more rocking with team than other brand

Great company if you can handle it

Former Employee - Barista
    Former Employee - Barista

I worked at Starbucks part-time for more than a year

Pros

The benefits are out of sight. I was offered Starbucks stock after my first year, as well as 401k through Fidelity, and a superb Blue Cross Blue Shield health insurance plan. You can cover your whole family with that plan, and it can include domestic partners. I got a pound of free coffee every week and free coffee all day (although I think that was specific to my store, which bent the rules). There's also an Employee Assistance Hotline which you can call if you're having issues in your personal life. And HR is really responsive--they won't see you as a troublemaker if you're legitimately having an issue. They will handle it.

Also, sexual orientation and gender identity are included in their anti-discrimination policy. None of the gay or lesbian people on my staff got crap for it, even though about half the staff was quietly conservative Christian and Republican.

If you're a people person, you develop relationships with the regulars and it's fun to make their day. I felt it was pretty rewarding to make drinks. I loved the artistic side of it. And again, the free coffee...just awesome.

They're also usually pretty flexible about scheduling, so it's ideal for if you're working two jobs or are a student. I worked with people in their 50's who had their own careers, but worked part-time at Starbucks for the health insurance.

The vacation time system is also pretty sweet. I worked with a guy who was there for 10 years and took like a month vacation to his home country.

The staffs can be really tight...or they can be really vicious. But a spirit of teamwork is definitely encouraged. And exemplary work is recognized.

In an 8-hour shift you get three breaks: one 30-minute clock-out lunch, and two 10-minute on the clock breaks.

You'll also occasionally get those amazing customers and you live for seeing them. We had four customers who every year each put 100 bucks in our tip jar around Christmas. Sometimes those people can make your day with the things they say and do.

Cons

If you work at a store worth their salt they will work you to the bone. Especially in a large or high-volume store there is so much to do, so much to clean. A morning shift person will have the absolutely insanity of a morning rush, but an evening person should be expected to handle evening rushes with a limited staff as WELL as get the place spotless in what I believe is not a reasonable time. We could get the place clean by 10:45, all right--if we broke the health and corporate rules about when to tear things down. And of course if that was ever found out we were in deep. And if we went over 10:45 we were also in trouble. Management sometimes has some very unrealistic ideas about what the job actually entails and what rules and boundaries should go with that.

The pay in my state starts near minimum wage. The ceiling for a barista is $10/hr, which you hit when you've been there about five years. But tips help, and some high-volume affluent stores will have tips up to $4/hr.

There's also a tendency to have fanatical management. Other "kindly" corporations like Whole Foods have this too--the managers drink the Kool-Aid and worship the company. I once spoke with my manager because my schedule was being changed with less than 24 hours notice, and that was against state law. She got this crazed look in her eye and spat "Starbucks law goes above state law!" But that's only a tendency. There are some pretty cool managers out there. Mine was insane.

The customers are spoiled rotten so they also get kind of unreasonable about their Starbucks. They will stand there and demand that you make a drink five times because there's still foam on that latte and they said NO foam, not LIGHT foam. This is a business model of Starbucks': everyone is special, and we will bend the rules for everybody. And I've had people scream at me and call me a (b) and promise me that they would make me lose my job. I've also had stuff thrown at me. But, that's also just customer service.

These last few years Starbucks has been obsessed with selling, too. There's a lot of pressure on the staff to make sure people go home with $15 bags of coffee and sub-par espresso machines. It's hard to maintain the relationships they want us to maintain while trying to sell stuff.

Overall, if you can put up with the customers and the physical demand, and if benefits are more important than income, do it. It's rewarding in its own way. Wear insoles.

Drop the obsession with sales. You're damaging customer relationships and making yourself look like "Just another corporation."

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A Company that Cares

Current Employee - Starbucks Store Manager  in  Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - Starbucks Store Manager in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at Starbucks full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The company has a multitude of benefits, that if utilized can save someone a ton of money. The stock matching and auto vesting is incredible. The stock benefits and vesting schedule are wonderful. The insurance is good and relatively inexpensive for the quality of coverage. College tuition remission is outstanding. Opportunity for growth is unparalleled.

Cons

The pay could be a bit more and problems only exist with individuals not the company. If all policies and human resources practices were followed on all levels the company would be hands down the greatest company in the world to work for, however, it is very difficult to weed out ALL the bad apples.

Continue the great care and concern for all your partners.

Starbucks provides many opportunities for growth and devlopment

I have been working at Starbucks full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I enjoy the many opportunities for growth and development. I enjoy that it doesn't matter what your level is in the organization, you can still create change and have your ideas supported. The benefits are great.

Cons

I with there was paid paternity leave.

A company that takes care of it's employees and always on the cutting edge.

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Starbucks full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Perks are good, rrsp, stocks and other benefits. Great people to work with. Fast paced with lots of change.

Cons

Constant change making it a challenge to implement all the plans at once. Depending where you live moving up can be a challenge. Targets aren't always reasonable so getting bonuses can be next to impossible.

Reward those who work hard, it can be a political game to move up in the Starbucks world. Keep caring about the partners as you already do and don't forget that it's about one cup, one person, and once community at a time.

Meh..

I have been working at Starbucks for more than 3 years

Pros

-Networking with customers
    -Great starting job, with a decent pay (increases by 6 month review)
    -Free Coffee
    -Flexible scheduling

Cons

-customers and fulfilling some of the strangest, most bazaar orders.
    -management can decide how joyful or how miserable your experiences are going to be.
    -corporate does not keep baristas informed of changes to Starbucks App, food items, or beverage changes.
    -auto shipments can be disastrous if left ignored.

Your stores would do better if you increased labor, let's not worry about that Christmas bonus :).

Barista

Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks  in  Marquette, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Marquette, MI (US)

I worked at Starbucks full-time for less than a year

Pros

Personal growth, fast-paced, surrounded by coffee.

Cons

Scheduling (they don't really work with you), and some of the most impatient customers I've ever encountered.

Barista's may be at the bottom of the Starbucks food chain, but we're hard-working and we do get offended if you treat us like incompetent children.

You will work a lot, but it is fun.

Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks  in  Piscataway, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Piscataway, NJ (US)

I worked at Starbucks part-time for less than a year

Pros

You get to learn how to make drinks. STARBUCKS drinks.
    You get free coffee and other beverages.
    You eat for free.
    Young, fun, and diverse group of people.

Cons

It depends on which store you go under who's management.
    It can be best part-time job in the world or it could be the worst.
    In my experience, management was fair.

To the middle management, listen to your district manager, there are reasons they make you do things certain way...

Still one of the best retail/food service companies to work for.

Current Employee - Barista
    Current Employee - Barista

I have been working at Starbucks part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Fantastic place to start work experience, even if you don't intend to pursue a career within the company. Pay is average to slightly above average, part time benefits are very had to beat, and the fringe perks are icing on the cake. Growth within the company, both in store and within management is strongly encouraged. Flexible scheduling hours.

Cons

Day to day can be very stressful and sometimes feel unrewarding. Positive customer connections can make all the difference, but are can be difficult to achieve. Corporate sometimes seems to loose touch with the challenges of working on the service floor.

Please do not forget that the best way to further the mission statement is to have happy, committed employees. Implementing changes to the internal labor scheduling system that make it harder to create consistent scheduled hours does not help.

Worked for Starbucks? Contribute to the Community!