Starbucks

5,367 Reviews

Starbucks Chairman, President, and CEO Howard D. Schultz
Howard D. Schultz
3,587 Ratings

Pros
  • The best part of working there were the benefits offered to part time employees (in 452 reviews)

• You also get to enjoy a nice perk of receiving a free pound of coffee or tea each week (in 230 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is nearly impossible to achieve until you've gained experience (in 131 reviews)

• While I was with the company, there was a huge turnaround with district managers (in 140 reviews)

More Highlights

this is the best company of my 5year carrear

Current Employee - Barista Trainer in Delhi
    Current Employee - Barista Trainer in Delhi

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (more than a year)

Pros

teem work and good apportunitiese

Cons

i dont know about downsides

they shuld get feedback from partner

I am working as a Barista trainer from last 1 year, and leading my team

Current Employee - Senior Barista in Bangalore
    Current Employee - Senior Barista in Bangalore

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (more than a year)

Pros

One of the big brand in the world, lots of coffee experiance

Cons

Looking forward for customer satisfication ike Taste, Speed and Friendliness

Need more rocking with team than other brand

Great company if you can handle it

Former Employee - Barista
    Former Employee - Barista

I worked at Starbucks part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The benefits are out of sight. I was offered Starbucks stock after my first year, as well as 401k through Fidelity, and a superb Blue Cross Blue Shield health insurance plan. You can cover your whole family with that plan, and it can include domestic partners. I got a pound of free coffee every week and free coffee all day (although I think that was specific to my store, which bent the rules). There's also an Employee Assistance Hotline which you can call if you're having issues in your personal life. And HR is really responsive--they won't see you as a troublemaker if you're legitimately having an issue. They will handle it.

Also, sexual orientation and gender identity are included in their anti-discrimination policy. None of the gay or lesbian people on my staff got crap for it, even though about half the staff was quietly conservative Christian and Republican.

If you're a people person, you develop relationships with the regulars and it's fun to make their day. I felt it was pretty rewarding to make drinks. I loved the artistic side of it. And again, the free coffee...just awesome.

They're also usually pretty flexible about scheduling, so it's ideal for if you're working two jobs or are a student. I worked with people in their 50's who had their own careers, but worked part-time at Starbucks for the health insurance.

The vacation time system is also pretty sweet. I worked with a guy who was there for 10 years and took like a month vacation to his home country.

The staffs can be really tight...or they can be really vicious. But a spirit of teamwork is definitely encouraged. And exemplary work is recognized.

In an 8-hour shift you get three breaks: one 30-minute clock-out lunch, and two 10-minute on the clock breaks.

You'll also occasionally get those amazing customers and you live for seeing them. We had four customers who every year each put 100 bucks in our tip jar around Christmas. Sometimes those people can make your day with the things they say and do.

Cons

If you work at a store worth their salt they will work you to the bone. Especially in a large or high-volume store there is so much to do, so much to clean. A morning shift person will have the absolutely insanity of a morning rush, but an evening person should be expected to handle evening rushes with a limited staff as WELL as get the place spotless in what I believe is not a reasonable time. We could get the place clean by 10:45, all right--if we broke the health and corporate rules about when to tear things down. And of course if that was ever found out we were in deep. And if we went over 10:45 we were also in trouble. Management sometimes has some very unrealistic ideas about what the job actually entails and what rules and boundaries should go with that.

The pay in my state starts near minimum wage. The ceiling for a barista is $10/hr, which you hit when you've been there about five years. But tips help, and some high-volume affluent stores will have tips up to $4/hr.

There's also a tendency to have fanatical management. Other "kindly" corporations like Whole Foods have this too--the managers drink the Kool-Aid and worship the company. I once spoke with my manager because my schedule was being changed with less than 24 hours notice, and that was against state law. She got this crazed look in her eye and spat "Starbucks law goes above state law!" But that's only a tendency. There are some pretty cool managers out there. Mine was insane.

The customers are spoiled rotten so they also get kind of unreasonable about their Starbucks. They will stand there and demand that you make a drink five times because there's still foam on that latte and they said NO foam, not LIGHT foam. This is a business model of Starbucks': everyone is special, and we will bend the rules for everybody. And I've had people scream at me and call me a (b) and promise me that they would make me lose my job. I've also had stuff thrown at me. But, that's also just customer service.

These last few years Starbucks has been obsessed with selling, too. There's a lot of pressure on the staff to make sure people go home with $15 bags of coffee and sub-par espresso machines. It's hard to maintain the relationships they want us to maintain while trying to sell stuff.

Overall, if you can put up with the customers and the physical demand, and if benefits are more important than income, do it. It's rewarding in its own way. Wear insoles.

Drop the obsession with sales. You're damaging customer relationships and making yourself look like "Just another corporation."

Great environment, great benefits

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ocean City, MD (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ocean City, MD (US)

I have been working at Starbucks part-time

Pros

The benefits available through Starbucks, even for part-time employees are great. Lots of options to move up within the company as well as transferring between stores when needed.

Cons

Customers can be a challenge, because of the sense of entitlement the Starbucks brand gives people. There is also a lot of management to answer to (regional manager, district manager, store manager) who may implement changes without prior discussion with anyone.

Mandatory supervisor meetings a minimum of quarterly would be helpful. Making sure that shifts get all new information first-hand, to pass to baristas, would be much more useful than everyone hearing from so-and-so what it happening.

I am Destiny Dooley, I am currently working for my schools student run coffee shop, here at Kennewick High School.

Current Employee - Barista in Kennewick, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Barista in Kennewick, WA (US)

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Some of the pros of working here are I get job experience, I can learn to do new things and I can meet people.

Cons

I don't really have any cons because I really like to work here.

Large company that knows how to treat employees

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Portland, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Portland, OR (US)

I worked at Starbucks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Employee benifits are great! Pay is pretty good. Upward mobility it possible with hard work and dedication. There are many opportunities to help community.

Cons

Standards are constantly improving and changing making it hard to get everyone on board. Early morning shifts are really early.

Reduce the stress, it's coffee!

Quality company grounded in values that make you proud

I have been working at Starbucks

Pros

Considered and recognized as partners, employees receive high regard by company. Brisas primarily.

Cons

While diversity of color is respected and desired, diversity of style is suppressed.

Tribeca Starbucks

Current Employee - Barista in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Barista in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The best part of this job is the customers who come in and make your day. Also as long as there is good communication with the partners during your shift, the workload will be easy and being able to joke around a bit will make the time go by. Also, the companies benefits make it worth the time being there. They are always coming up with new things and new ways to comfort its employees.

Cons

Sometimes during huge rushes it can get hectic and overwhelming. Also, if other employees call out you are given their workload on top of yours. Some customers can be bossy and irate when they don't get their way.

Keep constant communication with your employees. A lot gets brushed under the rug when you make yourself unavailable or you don't pay attention to details.

Good company to work for - watch out for management

I worked at Starbucks

Pros

Good pay and benefits, fun work environment

Cons

Upper management tends to be problematic at the stores I've worked at. If management is bad, then scheduling, staffing, morale, etc., can all suffer.

Great place for a high school student

Former Employee - Barista in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Barista in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Starbucks

Pros

For a high school student, this is big money. It will teach kids about how to approach customers and be personable.

Cons

The high turn-over rate in inner city stores is a serious issue. Many people are not willing to work that hard because of the sheer volume of customers.