Starbucks

Starbucks Chairman, President, and CEO Howard D. Schultz

Howard D. Schultz

(2,565 ratings)

3,721 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Great benefits even for part time employees and a supportive work atmosphere"
    in 347 reviews
  • "Free drinks while you're working and a free pound of coffee (or tin of tea) every week"
    in 183 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work/life balance was preached corporately but ignored in the field"
    in 93 reviews
  • "Customers can sometimes get you down but it's just part of being in customer service"
    in 92 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

this is the best company of my 5year carrear

Barista Trainer (Current Employee)
Delhi

I have been working at Starbucks full-time for more than a year

Prosteem work and good apportunitiese

Consi dont know about downsides

Advice to Senior Managementthey shuld get feedback from partner

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Career in Coffee

Store Manager (Current Employee)
Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Starbucks full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWhen i first started I had no intention of making a career out of Starbucks. Now, I have no intention of having a career without Starbucks. For a large corporation, this company feels very small. Every decision made in store affects that store, partners, and customers. Along with the great benefits and the opportunity for growth, this company has it all. Along with the culture that promotes inclusivity and leading through the lens of humanity this company cares about people!

ConsI wish to work in other segments of the company, but to do so I would likely have to move to Seattle. That is the ONLY drawback for me, which is very personal and not reflective of the company.

Love the Company

Shift Supervisor (Current Employee)
Calabasas, CA (US)

I have been working at Starbucks part-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe benefits are fantastic, the culture is amazing. Working in a store can be great depending on the staff. I've had both great and horrible experiences working in a store.
The good managers are usually very supportive of you and your time with the company so long as you're a positive addition to the team.
There's a big feeling of your store being your team. Almost like a second family.
The DM, Manager, and company overall are usually very invested in their staff, especially ones that want upward momentum.

ConsWorking holidays, nights, weekends can get frustrating ( but seriously, that's what the job entails so it's not that bad).
I really don't have much else "bad" to say about the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile I loved working for the company for the 5 years i was there, I thought some hiring decisions were questionable. While it wasn't my place to make those kinds of decision, I saw managers and assistant managers that were simply incapable of doing the work, let alone doing the work well. In addition, I feel there needs to be more interaction between the DM's and staff. Otherwise, I loved the direction the company went in during my time there, even throughout hard times they were there for the staff countrywide (we still got out stocks, benefits, etc throughout the recession), and I always felt supported by everyone from the little fish to the Howard Schultz himself.

Store Manager

Store Manager (Current Employee)
Rancho Cucamonga, CA (US)

I have been working at Starbucks full-time for more than 8 years

ProsStarbucks is a great company to work for. Love some of the perks such as free coffee, benefits, and working with great people.

ConsI feel that a company of this size should pay their partners more. While there are excellent benefits, for how hard everyone works, the pay should be higher. Also More time for Managers to be Managers off the floor instead of stressing about not getting things done.

Advice to Senior ManagementHigher Pay

Incredible company!

Barista (Current Employee)
Golden, CO (US)

I have been working at Starbucks part-time for more than 10 years

ProsStarbucks is incredible at helping partners out with all of the benefits they provide. Stock, insurance, 401K, tuition reimbursement... all have helped me out immensely and is a big reason of why I have been with the company for so many years. Also, the flexibility in scheduling as well as the fact you can transfer to any store makes it easy to live life without the job being your whole life. Co-workers and bosses are usually SO amazing company wide! Fantastic people to work with.

ConsSome customers can be very rude and condescending, but that comes with many jobs. Working weekends sucks but at least every partner shares the burden.

Amazing benefits for a Part-Time Job

Barista (Current Employee)
San Mateo, CA (US)

I have been working at Starbucks part-time for more than 8 years

Pros*They provide really good medical, vision and dental benefits for partners who work at least 20 hours a week.
*401K Match at 100%
*Starbucks also partners with schools like Stayer University to provide discounts to partners who enrolled to their schools.

ConsOn my 3rd year of employment I was promoted as Shift Supervisor even though I can only work part-time. It was my understanding that the upper management is aware of my promotion because I was the only one who is willing to open the store. A few years after I was demoted because I only work part-time. On top of the demotion I was told that I will not get anymore rate increase because I have reached the maximum Barista pay per the policy even though I am doing an exceptional job. This policy seems to have changed a few months after (which is good).

Fun!

Barista (Former Employee)
Fort Sm Houston, TX (US)

I worked at Starbucks part-time for more than a year

ProsDiscounts on coffee. Really nice vibe and people are very nice. It's very good for a part time job. The work is very flexible.

ConsIt gets pretty hectic sometimes. Salaries aren't that great when you start working comparing to other jobs, but it's good for a first job!

Always meeting new and fun people

Team Associate (Former Employee)
Roanoke, VA (US)

I worked at Starbucks part-time for more than a year

ProsFlexible work schedule. Upbeat and fun people and environment. I think benefits are available to full-time and part-time associates, baristas, and managers. My supervisor was great and let me take some time off when I had to.

ConsCan get very busy...which can get some people stressed out. Sometimes the Assistant Managers maybe needed some more coaching.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore free coffee!

Best company I've worked for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Starbucks full-time

ProsDistrict manager care so much about their stores, if something isn't right they watched us fix it. I have never worked for a company that cared so much about not only its customers but also its partners.

Conswish it was more money ... would have stayed there

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work ... keep promoting from within! It is so nice to walk into a store and still know someone that works there!

Fun, fast-paced environment where you develop excellent customer service skills and get to learn how to make drinks

Shift Supervisor (Current Employee)
San Pablo, CA (US)

I have been working at Starbucks full-time for more than 3 years

Prosbenefits, employee discount, amazing coworkers and ability to move up in the company. The hours are usually very flexible especially if you are currently in school.

Consoccasionally you'll come across a disgruntled customer which can be unpleasant. I suppose this is to be expected in any job deals with customer service.

Advice to Senior Managementplease work on work-life balance. some partners, such as myself, feel overwhelmed and over-worked when we are short staffed. going to school and consistently working 6 days a week is very stressful.

Worked for Starbucks? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Starbucks reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Starbucks CEO Howard D. Schultz. All 3,721 reviews are posted anonymously by Starbucks employees.