State Farm

Updated 3 March 2015
1,975 Reviews
3.5
1,975 Reviews

State Farm Chairman and CEO Ed Rust Jr.
Ed Rust Jr.
1,083 Ratings

Pros
  • Great work life balance and encouragement to continue insurance education (in 106 reviews)

• Great training program, plenty of opportunities to advance and great benefits package (in 82 reviews)

Cons
  • As a side note - I had significant work / life balance issues as an agent (in 28 reviews)

• No room for advancement with contract employees and lower pay with no benefits (in 41 reviews)

More Highlights

Good to Join

I worked at State Farm

Pros

good name and well known Auto Insurance company
    having good exposure in Insurance domain

Cons

work life balance
    salary balance
    nothing more like that as in cons.

i have a positive outlook towards this organisation

Great company with excellent values that truly cares about customers and employees alike

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Bloomington, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Bloomington, IL (US)

I have been working at State Farm full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Uness you work in a production environment, like Claims or Underwriting, you have an awesome work/life balance. State Farm gives their employees great benefits. A 401(k) AND a pension. Dental, Vision, Life, Health, Tuition Reimbursement, adoption assistance, and others that just aren't on the top of my mind at the moment. Excellent opportunity for advancement, career development.

Cons

If you work in a call center for State Farm, you have a very different experience. You still have great benefits. Even if you only work part-time, you still get paid time off, health, life, vision, dental, tuition reimbursement - the works. However, your work/life balance is significantly degraded in comparison to other positions in the company. The work also can get very mundane and boring. Still a great company, and really still good jobs, just not as good as the rest of the company enjoys.

Reposition yourself to move faster. The company needs to be more proactive and less reactive. The company culture needs to be shifted a little to embrace change a little more easily.

Great Company with long term Career Options

I have been working at State Farm

Pros

State Farm is a great place to build your career. It has great benefits, defined pension plan, compensation is above the competetive range for similar jobs in the market areas. You can decide to switch your career while continuing to build on your benefits.

Cons

State Farm expects top professionalism, if you are someone who is always late, makes up excuses or tries to get out of work, this is not the place for you.

Continue to build an environment where employees love to work everyday.

Great Position

I have been working at State Farm

Pros

Great environment, plenty of learning. agent is great to work with in our brand new office.

Cons

I was very disappointed to learn, that when working for an independent agent, that you are responsible for purchasing your own health insurance and you have absolutely no type of benefits.

There really isn't any info to share with upper management. I work for an independent agent who is opening her own office, so even though the name is a big name you're working for a small business.

Great company but moving in a strange direction

Current Employee - Complex Injury Adjuster in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Complex Injury Adjuster in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at State Farm full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits
    Fair salary administration
    Great management
    Stable company

Cons

Future is uncertain with regards to locations
    The quality of the work product seems to be decreasing as there is a shift in the type of employee
    Very little accountability
    Claims is a very difficult role, it's a grueling position in which you often deal with somewhat unreasonable customers.

Interning at State Farm was an excellent learning experience.

Former Intern - Agent Intern in Jupiter, FL (US)
    Former Intern - Agent Intern in Jupiter, FL (US)

I worked at State Farm as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I truly enjoyed my summer internship at State Farm where I was able to grow and contribute my skills in a professional setting.The experience offered personal growth and a solid work-life balance. I was able to ask questions and learn something new each day.

Cons

Overall I enjoyed my experience at State Farm. Despite my positive experience, I did not gain full exposure to the more than one many facets of business they operate in.

I generally agree with the management strategy implemented at State Farm Insurance but I would suggest a more organized internship program with specifically detailed responsibilities and learning practices for entry level workers.

Love this place, great atmoaphere, and lots of opportunity

I have been working at State Farm

Pros

Lots of room for growth

Cons

Pit in your time and do your job well, even if it is just a stepping stone

Quote and Bind Rep.

Current Employee - Sales in Dunwoody West, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales in Dunwoody West, GA (US)

I have been working at State Farm

Pros

There was extensive training provided to all of the in coming new hires for the quote and bind sales teams. The trainers were knowledgeable.

Cons

The training provided was extensive and classes contained upwards of 40 people. The distraction of unprofessional employees was disappointing to the remaining employees.

Continue to be supportive and address unprofessional employees directly. Continue the welcoming committee for all the new hires.

I worked as an intern for an agent in NYC. I learned so much every day and enjoyed my experience for the most part.

Former Intern - Intern - Hourly in New York, NY (US)
    Former Intern - Intern - Hourly in New York, NY (US)

I worked at State Farm as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Some customers were gems and really made my day.

Cons

The office culture was a bit unprofessional when customers weren't present and the agent can be a little crazy.

State Farm Agent Staff/office manager

Current Employee - State Farm Agent Staff
    Current Employee - State Farm Agent Staff

I have been working at State Farm full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Working with an established agent is satisfying and rewarding. Each agency is individual run by the agent with different goals expectations and cultures. You need to find a agent that fits in with your work ethic and values

Cons

Benefits and time off are at the discretion of the agent. You have to wait a year for vacation and you lose it when you change agent unless you negotiate it.