State Farm Reviews

Updated 18 April 2015
2113 reviews filtered by
3.5
2,113 Reviews
State Farm Chairman and CEO Ed Rust Jr.
Ed Rust Jr.
1,143 Ratings

Pros
  • Great work life balance and encouragement to continue insurance education (in 106 reviews)

• Great training program, plenty of opportunities to advance and great benefits package (in 82 reviews)

Cons
  • As a side note - I had significant work / life balance issues as an agent (in 28 reviews)

• No room for advancement with contract employees and lower pay with no benefits (in 41 reviews)

1. Good to Join

I worked at State Farm

Pros

good name and well known Auto Insurance company
    having good exposure in Insurance domain

Cons

work life balance
    salary balance
    nothing more like that as in cons.

Advice to Management

i have a positive outlook towards this organisation

Professional and FUN company you can creat your permanent career with!!

Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Tulsa, OK (US)
    Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Tulsa, OK (US)

I worked at State Farm full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Self development is very important and they nurture your career and professional development. Many other companies stifle personal growth, but with State Farm you are always encouraged to continue developing your skills, education, and business experiences to become an asset. There truly is no ceiling to your future development if you work for it!! :) I started in an entry level position and was able to promote within the company to my dream position, because they acknowledged the hard work, dedication, and commitment I had invested into my career advancement. Because of that acknowledgement they assisted in my advancement and you can't say that about many other companies at all. Also, they treat their customers as a priority as well. When I worked as an adjuster for this company, it was during hurricane Katrina. There were a lot of poor coverages in the press of this company, but I can tell you from seeing behind the scenes they thought constantly about their customers well being and offered many solutions for people affected by disaster to seek refuge. Just one example was handing out $2,500 advances to customers with covered claims to get started finding a place to stay and purchase basic necessities until a true evaluation for payment could be made. This is just one small example I can think of.
    Competitive salary (8 out of 10), Family oriented (several married couples, mothers/fathers, sons/daughters, etc.), consistent pay raises, fair and encouraging employee evaluations.

Cons

As with every company I suppose, State Farm was not exempt from office politics. It seemed as if management would be untouchable. If a bad situation / altercation occurred between a manager and one of their employees the outcome would always favor the member of management.

Advice to Management

Please consider employees that don't have a degree. Sometimes people may not have a degree, but will work circles around college graduates and can be more educated as well.

LOVE THIS COMPANY!

Current Employee - AGENT STAFF - TEAM MEMBER in Louisville, KY (US)
    Current Employee - AGENT STAFF - TEAM MEMBER in Louisville, KY (US)

I have been working at State Farm full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They really care about their insureds and provide the best products to meet their everyday needs. Passionate about protecting their insureds.

Cons

I wish I worked for the company and not my agent, more benefits. You work for the agent, so it is a small business situation.

5. Great intern experience, but I'd never work there

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at State Farm as an intern

Pros

Management was excited about intern program
    Company was eager to introduce interns to all areas of State Farm
    Given a few real projects to work on and the opportunity to learn new skills
    Good compensation, plus free living quarters for interns from out of town
    Offered opportunity for overtime in the weather emergency call center

Cons

Regardless of what department you intern for, most entry level people have to start in underwriting or claims. Once in the company, you'll compete with everyone else for a spot in the area you actually want to be. It could take years for a marketing person to actually get experience in marketing.

People compared the company to the Titanic... They knew they were headed for trouble because competitors had come out with some really compelling marketing campaigns, but couldn't make change happen fast enough due to the amount of red tape.

Marketing staff was friendly enough by the end, but they also showed weird displays of power. For example, one day the entire marketing department left for about 30 mins without any explanation. It turns out they all went for ice cream, minus myself and the other intern. When they got back they said they went to DQ and didn't invite us because we hadn't earned it. We'd both moved from other states to participate in the program and had been there ~2 weeks. Not exactly a welcoming vibe.

Advice to Management

Energize staff about the intern program
    Work to make the company more agile-- the Titanic sunk!

6. EFA

Current Employee - EFA in Scottsdale, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - EFA in Scottsdale, AZ (US)

I have been working at State Farm full-time

Pros

get paid to study and get licensed in property and casualty, and life and health insurances

Cons

Temporary position so you can prepare to work for a State Farm Agent, or become an intern to become an agent by first working for an agent

Advice to Management

my only suggestion would be to make the choices after the EFA slightly more transparent to the career seeker

Claims processor

I have been working at State Farm

Pros

Great atmosphere, work was very fast paced which made the day go by quickly. Management was great, allowed you to make decisions which you thought were correct

Cons

The restructuring of the company has and will lead to many employees losing their job. It's too bad they have decided to close smaller offices and only operate out of mega hubs.

Advice to Management

Keep your employee's more up to date with changes. It seemed like meetings were far and few between and didn't give very much information.

"Good environment, poor work/life balance"

Current Employee - Catastrophe Claim Representative in Irving, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Catastrophe Claim Representative in Irving, TX (US)

I have been working at State Farm

Pros

State Farm has a lot of great benefits that most companies dont offer, the biggest of which is a pension. They give vacation, PT and sick time upfront!! My team manager is the best. They do not work the normal 8 hour day but rather 7 hours and 45 minutes.

Cons

The biggest down side is the scheduling, most departments are run like a call center with crazy shifts that change every six months. You could go from a 1230-9 Monday through Friday to a 8-430 Monday through Friday 1230-9 on Saturday with Sunday and Tuesday off. Split days off, split shifts, its just a little much to swallow. Also the pay is not as competitve as it could be compared to other firms.

Advice to Management

Change how you do scheduling, though you may see scheduling is based on business need in a live environment it doesnt make sense.

9. LCR

I have been working at State Farm

Pros

good benefits, good pay, good company

Cons

can get stressful and busy at times

10. Data Scientist

I worked at State Farm full-time

Pros

I worked as a predictive modeler and have a very good overall experience. The team is diverse and everybody brings something new to the table. The opportunity to grow within the company is there as well. They also have a very fun park!

Cons

Location. Besides the humidity and terrible weather in the midwest in general I think this is a solid company using data-driven decisions.

Advice to Management

Offer competitive salaries so people stay with the company. Turnover isn't really high but as the demand for data scientists is increasing a lot more talent is drawn towards greener pastures.

11. Bank Business Analyst

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Bloomington, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Bloomington, IL (US)

I have been working at State Farm full-time (less than a year)

Pros

This is a great company who really care about their employees. It also has many opportunities to move around through different departments within the Enterprise, making it a long-term employer in my eyes.

Cons

Working for a large company, you will never know everyone.