State Farm

Updated 19 August 2014
1,536 Reviews

3.5
1,536 Reviews

State Farm Chairman and CEO Ed Rust Jr.
Ed Rust Jr.

Pros
  • Great work life balance and encouragement to continue insurance education (in 88 reviews)

• The company has a good work environment and works to help employees meet their needs (in 68 reviews)

Cons
  • As a side note - I had significant work / life balance issues as an agent (in 19 reviews)

• No room for advancement with contract employees and lower pay with no benefits (in 34 reviews)

More Highlights

A lot of room to move up within Systems

Former Employee - Systems Analyst Intern  in  Bloomington, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst Intern in Bloomington, IL (US)

Pros

Pros as a Systems employee(at Bloomington Corporate South)
    - A lot of room for growth, promotions, raises, bonuses.
    - Jeans and t-shirts are daily wear(even some managers wear things like sports team jerseys. Obviously you want to dress nice for important days.)
    - Many people "work to live" instead of the other way around
    - 2 weeks vacation, 3 weeks after 5(?)
    - PTO for dentist appointments and stuff like that
    - Paid sick days
    - From what people said benefits were "decent"
    - Work from home days
    - Flexible hours
    - Pretty good salary and get raises fairly quickly.
    - Can apply to different positions at different locations
    - Leadership training
    - Will pay for MBA

Pros as an intern:
    - $18-20 as a Systems Analyst intern.
    - 2 paid days off
    - Paid housings
    - Can start 401k (also I've heard internships count as time at the company and helps with retirement)
    - Many seniors got competitive full time offers.
    - Currently able to pick which location you want to work full time(Atlanta, Bloomington, Dallas, Phoenix)
    - Get to do real programming
    - Can be kept busy and not bored as an intern depending on team

Cons

Cons as a Systems employee
    - Most jobs in Bloomington(a.k.a. cornfield U.S.A.)
    - Afraid of making people worried so they keep a lot in the dark (a good example is the "Dual pair metroplex", either people have no idea what it is, or they're worried that everything related to the datacenter is moving to Dallas.)
    - Want to move people to hubs, but don't help their spouses that also work there
    - Some technologies are old and no one really wants to do them.

Cons as an intern
    - Other IT interns at large corporations can be paid more.
    - Don't have any idea what you're doing before you get there
    - Many teams are not prepared for intern because they aren't sure what they're getting so they don't know what type of work to have planned.
    - People who would be returning interns still don't know if they have an offer for next year.

Reach out to interns earlier in internships, at the end I had many directors and AVPs ask why no one had any meetings with them, because interns don't realize that we can reach out to them.

Ethical Company

Former Employee - Technical Analyst  in  Bloomington, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Technical Analyst in Bloomington, IL (US)

Pros

Good work/life balance, mostly great people to work with, decent pay.

Cons

Not always good at recognizing employee achievements. Lot of butt kissers rise the ladder on other people's work. Nothing done about slackers.

There's always something new to learn about insurance. (I am a current agency sales producer, 3 years now)

Current Employee - Insurance Sales Producer  in  DFW, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Insurance Sales Producer in DFW, TX (US)

Pros

Great company. Likely the best insurance company overall in terms of competitiveness and performance. You're always learning and can POTENTIALLY make good money doing sales, depending on which Agent you work for. I know other companies pay better, but I like what State Farm has and what they're about., for the most part.

Cons

Home insurance prices are up and it's VERY hard to sell. Pay could be better. Agents need to focus on servicing existing customers more while staying focused on sales. Turnover seems high in agency employment terms.

Customer service: It can not be negated. Impel agents towards this more than ever, and just as much as sales. You burn customers when their bill is out of whack and when new team members screw up quotes and there is nobody there to catch the fall. Long term customers have paid lots of money to the company and they especially need some nourishment from a tender, yet firm service staff.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I've enjoyed my 5 years here.

Current Employee - Claim Service Assistant  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Claim Service Assistant in Dallas, TX (US)

Pros

Good work-life balance; benefits are good. I like the changes that are taking place, but believe they could have been better executed.

Cons

Flexible work arrangements are nonexistent. Office culture may vary by department and manager. Opportunity for growth is limited.

Speak to your first-line employees before changing the workflow and process of those employees. What sounds good in theory does not allow play out well in practice.

Great Company!

Current Employee - Operations Intern  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Operations Intern in Dallas, TX (US)

Pros

-Great Culture
    -Everyone is there to truly help you
    -Great opportunities to move up
    -Pension Plan

Cons

-No cons honestly. I just wish I would have been hired after my internship

N/A

Good place to work

Pros

Excellent benefits for time off and health insurance. Good people to work with in a culture that promotes a positive work environment and diversity. Initial training is very good to start off performing your job well.

Cons

A certain amount of mobility is almost necessary for promoting up the corporate ladder. Spending time at the corporate office in Bloomington, Illinois used to be important. Now there are opportunities in Atlanta, Dallas, Phoenix, and Tacomah.

Great place to work!

Pros

Great company to work for!

Cons

Pay is average but excellent benefits.

Great corporate internship program!

Former Employee - Strategic Resources  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Strategic Resources in Atlanta, GA (US)

Pros

This isnt a "run to get coffee" internship. This is a REAL job and you are viewed as a co-worker and not an intern. I had the opportunity to write real reports that were published company wide and now have them as huge resume boosters. The pay is great for a college intern and the hours are very flexible. SF is based out of Bloomington, IL and the culture between corporate - bloomington and the Atlanta corporate hub are polar opposite. SF wants to keep you within the company and offers a huge opportunity for long term employment.

Cons

Strategic Resources department is a little too quiet. As a public relations major this internship was much more reaseach based than originally anticipated. During the interview I do not feel that the main goal of what I would be doing was properly conveyed.

Keep up the good work! Be sure to explain in detail what this department does prior to the interview.

Insurance Representative

Pros

Nice work environment, good salary

Cons

Lots of restrictions, not many sales

Great place to work with an amazing support team

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative/Sales  in  West Noblesville, IN (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative/Sales in West Noblesville, IN (US)

Pros

Offers me flexible hours. Good commissions and a friendly environment. Allows me to provide customers with that one on one experience and I can get to know them and their specific needs.

Cons

Sometimes I'm limited by the work that other do and how efficient they are.

Happy employees with motivation work better with incentives for their goals

Worked for State Farm? Contribute to the Community!