State Street

Updated Jul 22, 2014

2.7 1,213 reviews

State Street President and CEO Joseph (Jay) L. Hooley

Joseph (Jay) L. Hooley

Pros
  • Company has good benefits and is looking to improve work/life balance for employees(in 118 reviews)

• Many employees can work from home a few days a week if their responsibilities allow them to(in 55 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance is one of their "core tenets" but they don't practice what they preach(in 36 reviews)

• long hours, too much operational work, not so many bright people that can inspire you(in 47 reviews)

1,213 Employee Reviews

Overall it's a good first job out of college.

Manager (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsGood youthful spirit because most staff is relatively young.

ConsHigh turnover due to low pay and heavy workload.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompany not doing enough to retain top performers.

evolving

I T Manager (Current Employee) Quincy, MA (US)

Prosstable company with flex time.

Conswork-life more and more encroaching on personal life as a norm; and not as an exception.

Advice to Senior Managementwork-life balance and personal responsibility need to be core values.

Major bottleneck at VP level; low expectation of promotion to VP.

Assistant Vice President (Current Employee) Sacramento, CA (US)

ProsThe Sacramento office has a great office culture, a good work/life balance, and solid training. There are a good amount of employee events to create bonds in the office.

ConsPay is very low compared to other jobs in the same industry. It's even lower than state jobs. Many employees leave the company to work for the state.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay higher wages

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Financial Reporting

Fund Administration Director (Current Employee) Boston, MA (US)

ProsPretty good at getting out in front of new regulation and rallying the troops to come up with a solution/recommendation for clients in a timely manner.

ConsThe department seems to be in a state of constant flux with no clearly defined direction for the future. It seems they are going to take the "do more with less" stance to extreme measures.

Happy with my overall experience at State Street bank.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsState Street believes that if you are hired for a job, you should be able to do the job. They do not micromanage.

ConsIf you did not work in the home city of Boston, growth potential was very limited and they tend to treat you as the ugly step-child.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat all your employees as professionals.

Overworked and Underpaid

ProsEasy to get hired, good chance for mobility, 3 weeks of vacation time, plenty of chances to work overtime

Consrepetitive work, extremely low salaries and pay bumps, too many managers on different pages

Institution in the Custody space

Vice President (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsLarge footprint and strong history Well known and solid foundation. Industry leading AUM and AUC. Focus on better understanding client needs.

ConsInternal navigation process, openness to new ideas and hesitancy to commit resources

Fund Accountant - Great place to start work but not ideal for career advancement

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLots of training opportunities
    Great place to gain fundamental financial industry exposure

ConsManagement seems less interested in "leading" the group
    Hours can be awkward
    Low salary

Advice to Senior ManagementThere needs to be more communication between managers and subordinates in order to foster a more fluid work environment

Neutral.

Fund Accountant (Current Employee) Boston, MA (US)

ProsThey offer work at home access which is great for people who have a long commute. There are also a lot of good managers.

ConsSalary is low 30,000 and bonus is very small and it is hard to move up. Work can feel repetitive. Work at home also effectively prevents a person from taking any sick days.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer more benefits and perks to help motivate employees. Be more open to helping people move up.

wonderful wonderful wonderful as is sis

Farmer (Current Employee) Ngọc Trạc (Vietnam)

Prosgreat looking people to work with, and free beer

Conshave to work , and fall down a lot..

Advice to Senior Managementkeep it up

Worked for State Street? Contribute to the Community!