www.az.gov

Updated 14 December 2014
Updated 14 December 2014
2.4

CEO

Pros
  • They have a good benefits and retirement programs (in 13 reviews)

• Low Supervision Great benefits low experience (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, not much opportunity for advancement (in 4 reviews)

• Upper Management is quite clueless to the real needs of IT (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

Shrinking budgets

I have been working at State of Arizona

Pros

A Good work life balance

Cons

Shrinking budgets, possible layoffs, poor management.

Not much can be done by management as erratic funding priorities from the state legislature create an unstable work environment and high turnover.

I worked at State of Arizona

Pros

AWESOME benefits
    Most government employees are very hard workers

Cons

Political "nepotism" is alive and well
    Leadership hold all the cards (allowed to lie and manipulate)

Even though Governor Brewer's Personnel reform is highly successful in many areas, it has opened the door to many more abusive practices.

Must be analytical thinker have strong organizational skills.

Former Employee - CSE OFFICER II in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - CSE OFFICER II in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I worked at State of Arizona full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Up until recently great medical package. Retired

Cons

Really don't care to elaborate.

Better communication, better organizational skills, think a project through it's entirety before implementing new policies.

Procurement and program contracts administration

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I have been working at State of Arizona full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

For me, the State has been flexible with my schedule - allowing me to telecommute or adjust for kids acitivies. The best advantage to working at the state is the great benefits (leave, medical, etc.)

Cons

Technology and many ways of thinking of management are very antiquated. There are no raises - you have to switch positions in order to get any kind of increase. This is a poor managment style as you are not able to keep the knowledgable, qualified people in positions unless that person has no desire to increase their income potential. Management is extremely inconsistent and it is often the case that poor managment and supervisors are promoted without regard for ability to manage.

Pay closer attention to ability of management to provide quality management and leadership to their teams. Make sure employees are challenged and inspired. Try to get some energy into these drab/draining environments.

Worked here 13 years

Former Employee - Information Technology Specialist IIIIII in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Information Technology Specialist IIIIII in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I worked at State of Arizona full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Stability. Job security. Provided training. Retirement System. Good work life balance. Good teamwork. Socially conscious work. Helping people of Arizona.

Cons

Low salaries. No promotion. After 2012 job security gone. Pay raise insignificant and eliminated by increased contributions to retirement system.

Increase salaries.

Liked my job, not management

Former Employee - QA Analyst in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - QA Analyst in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I worked at State of Arizona full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I had the opportunity to do what I enjoy as a QA Analyst in an IT department for the State of Arizona. I conducted backend testing, using SQL code, of claims transactions sent to a government agency for reimbursement of services provided for clients. I had a chance to grow my skills and abilities and became the Senior QA Analyst for my unit.

Cons

The management were bullies from the top down. The Senior Management was horrible. It's a shame when your employees are glad that you are out of the office for an extended period of time. I dealt with it as long as I could before I finally left.

Why are government managers so lacking in the ability to manage. They need to learn to value and respect the people they manage.

Program Services Evaluator II

Current Employee - Program Services Evaulator in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Program Services Evaulator in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I have been working at State of Arizona full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working for Family Assistance Administration is very rewarding. The benefits are also great

Cons

Upper management gets away with unethical behaviors

Family Assistance Administration Management needs to look at themselves, their behaviors and how they treat their staff. The money already isn't that great. Add on top of that crappy management and staff will continue to drop like flies and move on to other positions or companies.

No growth..good to join when your brain stopped working

Current Employee - IT Analyst in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - IT Analyst in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I have been working at State of Arizona full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you don't like to work, this is the best place.

Cons

All around old people, pathetic work culture. People are more concerned about their makeups, dresses, shoes..., obviously they don't have much work so they end up discussing the same. People have weird looks towards the people who come from different cultural background! I would never recommend it to anyone especially those who come from private sectors and have enthusiasm and aggression towards work!!!

Child Protective Service

Former Employee - Case Manager
    Former Employee - Case Manager

I worked at State of Arizona full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It is rewarding to know you have rescued a child from a dangerous environment. Working with the children is a wonderful experience.

Cons

Horrible things happen to children, that is the worst part about being a CPS case manager. Next to that, the hardest thing is having to work along side people who are on a power trip and judge people as if they were God himself. They love lording their power over these helpless parents, and document all their encounters from the perspective that any child they remove from any home for any reason should never have to return. It is so sad, because most of the time, the kids only want their parents back, and the parents only want their kids back, but the process is so demanding and difficult that people lose hope, and despair takes over, and hopeless, desperate people are more likely to do drugs and other things that got their children removed in the first place. Instead of all parties working toward the goal of reconciliation, many times the result, which could have been as simple as education, results in a full-blown tragedy, Everyone deceives everyone - parents try to deceive CPS and CPS reciprocates.

Don't stoop to the level of your clients. It is understood that parents with problems severe enough to bring harm to their children are going to be deceptive and rude, but when a professional social worker responds with the same behavior, chaos ensues.

Juvenile Corrections

I worked at State of Arizona

Pros

The best reason to work at ADJC has got to be helping the youth. If that is not your number 1 reason to want to work for them, then this is not the job for you. Job security, excellent benefits, a 20 year retirement plan, above average pay and it is very easy to promote once you are in.

Cons

The politics of working for the state such as; things change under different governors and officials. Internal investigations polices employees although they would like you to believe they are policing the youth. Constant stress of dealing with difficult youth combined with some bad management (not all). Also: keep in mind that not everyone is there for the right reasons, and security is sometimes on a different page than unit staff which causes conflict when dealing with the youth.

To unit managers: Get on the same page as your employees and spend more time on the units as opposed to being in administration procrastinating with upper management.

To administrators: remember what it was like to be a lower level staff, and never forget that they are the people who hold everything together.

State of Arizona Photos