Steven Madden

Be The First To
Add Photos

Steven Madden CEO Ed Rosenfeld

Ed Rosenfeld

Pros
  • Fun, great associates, great discount, free shoes, store contests, (in 8 reviews)

• amazing people, fun job, and you get free shoes periodically (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • high turnover, underpay, stock room set up, pressure on numbers, little appreciation shown for hard work, no work/life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Hard to get raise, not always best upper management (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

intern

ProsGreat company and willing to help you succeed.

ConsNo cons I love this company

Need better management !

Sales Associate (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsGREAT DISCOUNTS! 50% OFF , 65% OFF DURING CHRISTMAS, AND FREE 75$ GIFT CARD FOR CHRISTMAS, LETS NOT FORGET "MADDEN MONEY!"

ConsI worked in the NYC SM for 2.5 years. I always met sales goal, never called out, never late. One of the Managers because I wasn't his "favorite" he never used to give me more than 14.5 hrs. (happened with alot of my other coworkers) he then would hire other Sale Associates and give them Full Time instead of giving anyone else who been in the company for longer. No room for growth what so ever unless you one of the management favorite… BTW Min wage plus commission if you don't sale.. you then would have a horrible check!

Advice to Senior ManagementSTOP FAVORITISM !

Colorado owned Steve Madden Independent

Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsAccess to fashion trends and great boot styles. Access to store management technique and overall great experience in a small locally owned company. You will learn a lot about sales psychology and marketing techniques. You will learn how to deal with difficult personalities.

ConsAwful management. The owner is not someone worth working for. Terrible attitude. Hides behind the facet of "helping his employees with anything they need." Constantly puts employees in tears with brutal management style. Extremely unprofessional and inappropriate. Extremely high turn over rate. Few last longer than 6 months. Long hours, sometimes 12-13 hour shifts @ $8 an hour, %5 commission.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to manage professionally and appropriately and perhaps you won't have such a high turn over rate. Make people want to be there instead of hating their jobs. Try a less brutal/abrasive approach to teaching your employees how you want them to perform. No one likes working for a tyrant.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

1st job..

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

Prosgood training on product knowledge

Conssales associates can only work part time
    very limited growth within the company
    unprofessional

Advice to Senior Managementthe company could benefit to have better work-life balance.

Enjoyable experience

Sales Associate (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsFast-paced, fun, great merchandise, company values, great staff

ConsNot too much room for promotions when in school, also hard to balance both.

I have enjoyed it. Very flexiable

ProsFlexible hours, small company so you learn a lot

ConsSmall company so there is not that much room for groth

Horrible corporate company to work for if you are at all a creative individual.

Associate Designer (Former Employee) Sunnyside, NY (US)

ProsHealth care coverage? Free breakfast on Fridays...

ConsThe entire environment is awful. Very unhealthy and unhappy. Horrible communication from higher management, unorganized, and everyone who works there couldn't care less about the actual work they do. Very uninspiring place as a designer.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees like you care about them. Encourage their creativity. Make your offices feel less like a graveyard.

Good but needs changes

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsPeople are great, sample sales, you can wear whatever you want to work, always busy, has a parking lot for employees, decent discount

ConsYou can't leave until it's 6:00 on the dot even if your department is done for the day, no summer hours either. Not a lot of vacation days when you first start and everyone is afraid to stand up to sr management and let employees leave early before holidays. Long hours during shoe shows and no recognition for hard work and dedication No paid maternity leave for an almost all female company

Advice to Senior ManagementAsk the people who work for you what changes they want to see and act on them. All other companies have summer hours or shortened days. Don't let employees be afraid to take a full lunch break or day off reward employees for a good job and walk around the building more to say hello and know who is working for you. Have a BBQ or company gathering to bring employees together

No Work Life Balance

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Long Island City, NY (US)

ProsGood benefits, good people, good discount, breakfast on Fridays.

ConsNo work-life balance, long work hours, no summer Fridays, no early dismissal before holidays, no flex time, less that generous time off policy, not a lot of paid holidays. Everyone works long work days (6pm) and then before a holiday while every other company lets their employees have half days senior management makes everyone work a full day. If they do an early dismissal, it's 4:00pm. They make you work long hours and don't give anything in return. All people do before a holiday or on Friday's in the summer is complain that they are working instead of doing any work.

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up senior management...you want people to work give them something in return. Get with the times and stop being so old fashioned. Make yourself more competitive. You pride yourself on being on top of the latest trends but when it comes to benefits you lag behind. Start treating your employees like humans instead of robots. Maybe you don't want to spend time with your family but some of us do.

Good work experience

Production Assistant (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsPaid internship! Paid hour lunch.

ConsLong hours and commuting.
    Cliques.

Worked for Steven Madden? Contribute to the Community!