StoneMor

Updated 3 December 2014
Updated 3 December 2014
2.9

Lawrence Miller

Pros
  • Helping people at the time of a death is very rewarding (in 6 reviews)

• It was nice to be able to help families with some of the most difficult decisions they will ever make in life (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Always "under budget" so upper management never satisfied (in 7 reviews)

• always more than 40 hours, BUT that is what I signed up for (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent

I have been working at StoneMor

Pros

Excellent Co To Work For

Cons

The Hourly Wage Should Be More Considerate

Run Run Run

Current Employee - Family Service Counselor in Burlington, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Family Service Counselor in Burlington, NC (US)

I have been working at StoneMor

Pros

This is a motivating Job in which you help families on the worst day of their lives. Unfortunately the Company is Sales Driven.

Cons

There is no balance between work and life balance. Employees that last truly care about the families and battle for them constantly. This is a HERO to ZERO job.

REGROUP

Too many palace intrigues.

Former Employee - Manager in Greensboro, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Manager in Greensboro, NC (US)

I worked at StoneMor full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great opportunity to help customers and earn a strong income.

Cons

The mid-level management style is picky and non-motivational; same old message 2 to 3 times a week for the past. 9 years.

It has been said that a fish stinks from the head down. If the body of the fish isn't swimming then the head isn't functioning. Look at the almost complete turnover of your staff every. 2 to 3 years and ask yourself why you're retaining the same management above the field location level for. 9 years.

Good company !! Been here a while with a lot of other long term employees - that says it all!

I have been working at StoneMor (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company is run by industry experts who really care about the employees and our customers. Comprehensive and affordable benefits and allows employees to have a good balance between work and home life.
    Great income opportunity for sales people and fast track career pathing into management too!.

Cons

Communications is a challenge but getting better all the time through technology.

It would be better if the leadership teams have more opportunities to get out to the locations!

Unprofessional, antiquated and abusive

Former Employee - Sales Manager

I worked at StoneMor full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The location employees were good to work with.

Cons

No sales data base or computer for sales managers, defiantly not family service. All paper, phone and fax. Welcome to the 40'S. The top Sales Management (Corporate) has not kept up with sales process and is reminiscent of Glengary Glen Ross (look up on youtube, even the spoofs will give you the idea). The sales commisions are ok but the manditory discount policy is a give away on the highest commissional items (land) so the employee gives half of the sale away. The "used car policy" also gives a cheap impression to families and a slimy feeling for the employee in industry that should have some Dignity. Service to families is made ONLY to get sales and done poorly, there is no corporate training standards on in house expectation and process, that was presented.
    I witnessed mass text to sales managers (all in CAPS) and abusive sales conferences that were personal degradation of managers. To say they had any feeling for their teams or people would not be consistent to their actions.
    I walked away after knowing I could not work for such an unprofessional company.

INVESTIGATE AND TAKE ACTION!!!
    Hire young professionals and give them the freedom to change your company to update to todays business practices.
    OR SELL TO SCI AND MOVE ON.

The worst job experience I have ever had!

Current Employee - Manager In Training in Gadsden, AL (US)
    Current Employee - Manager In Training in Gadsden, AL (US)

I have been working at StoneMor full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The only pro is that you are helping people make difficult decisions about their funeral. I really enjoyed working with the customers.

Cons

From the start there was management concerns, 1st hearing that the manager had been fired and re-hired for sexual harassment. Then I learn that management was condoning 2 sales people who made crooked contracts with customers who were robbed and didn't even know what they had bought. Finally, these 2 people were fired when customers complained to the main office. Then another manager was brought in from a nearby cemetery and brought his girlfriend (his wife, step daughter and in-laws work in our office other than sales). He constantly lied and stole customers and at least half of our commissions and always our volume, and would give a lot extra to his girlfriend who also screwed the customers. The sad management (if you could call him a manager) remained. This greasy, sleezy redneck demanded we work extra hours without pay and all holidays and weekends.
    I was hired as a manager in training and that was a joke. My training for manager didn't exist! I had actual training for 2 full days. I was hired at minimum wage of $7.50 an hour but never saw full pay for 40+ hours, then when it was time for the residual commissions to start, they didn't have a record of my commissions! I was never paid for my last week of work.
    Redneck called me into his office and told me he was moving me to outside sales which is commission only and I said no. Which is what he wanted so he could bring in his best friend the next day to take my desk and place.
    No matter what you did, you could not satisfy them and they changed the rules constantly to suit them. They are liars and thieves and I have never seen so much drama and turmoil in one office! It was constant and ridiculous! Very stressful!!! I was there 3 months, all I could take!

TRAIN managers to motivate sales people in a positive way instead of threats everyday and be consistent with rules! Train your salespeople to serve the customer and not themselves! Promote honesty and integrity!

Horrible company, they do not care about you!

Former Employee - Sales Manager

I worked at StoneMor full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Loved helping people. Loved local people I worked with.

Cons

Higher management are jerks. They dont care about families, just sales sales, even if you have to lie to families. I couldnt be a part of that anymore. They also do what they can so you don't get full commissions.

Change your ways, you won't lose so many good employees. Praise your employees instead if belittling them and degrading them.

A very good company to work for.

I have been working at StoneMor full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

A very caring company. The company has been in the industry for a long time. Have the value to really focus on families that they serve. Opportunities throughout the company for advancement. This is a career and not just a job. Company is very welling to help with relocation. Perfect job for those who are independent

Cons

Maintenance, sales and admin needs to work together and communicate better. Takes a while to get things resolved when issues arises. There is no work-life balance for those that wants to get ahead and do a great job.

Communication is key. Sometimes there are too much on the sales team plate. Need more support

Great Experience So Far

I have been working at StoneMor full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good company to work for. Flexible hours, two casual days a week and great support from other departments. Management works hard and assists as needed with any job functions. The company is growing quickly and there is room for advancement and growth.

Cons

Training could be improved for sure.

Great for people who are looking for uncapped earning potential

Current Employee - Sales Counselor in Suitland, MD (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Counselor in Suitland, MD (US)

I have been working at StoneMor full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The best thing about the position was being able to earn unlimited amount of commission. You also have 3 weeks paid training and they offer one of the highest commission rates in the death care industry.

Cons

The cons would be having to juggle the work life balance and it may be difficult in the beginning for those who are not used to working longer hours. But the long hours pay off when you meet with the families and are able to help them during their time of need.

get some updated sales leads, the ones we are using are outdated!

StoneMor Photos