Stop & Shop Reviews

Updated 30 October 2014
2.9

Stop & Shop President & CEO Carl Schlicker
Carl Schlicker

Pros
  • 15 hours minimum for Part-Time employees, 40 regular hours for Full-Time employees (in 29 reviews)

• Flexible hours to work around school or another job (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Need to make current Part time cashier full-time employees (in 27 reviews)

• they don't have hours for the part time workers, they work less then 30 hours a week (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Wonderful

I worked at Stop & Shop

Pros

very nice people, good place

Cons

ok culture, not much training

A great company to work for with a lot of opportunities

Current Employee - Grocery Manager in Revere, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Grocery Manager in Revere, MA (US)

I have been working at Stop & Shop full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent pay and benefits for full time and department head positions. If you are willing to work hard and prove yourself you can move up and do very well.

Cons

this company is a bit too top heavy, and dosnt always give the store level associates the help and resources they need to get the job done effectively.

train and develop more of your people, we loose more good help because we dont always take care of our people.

Bake Shop

I worked at Stop & Shop

Pros

Good Highschool Job, Union, Insurance

Cons

Employees are a number to management, easily replaceable

not bad, not good, demanding job with a progress ceiling

I worked at Stop & Shop full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

enjoyed working with the people, in the stores they were real , friendly, and appreciative for the most part, made my own schedule

Cons

artificial earning ceiling, the people in charge had no idea what my job entailed and what I did day to day, only met with my boss occasionally

pay attention to the people you have,

its awesome

Current Employee - Cashier in Brooklyn, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Cashier in Brooklyn, NY (US)

I have been working at Stop & Shop part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

you get free snacks.

and discount

Cons

not a lot of discount

do not come late

Nite crew over 25 years

Current Employee - Nite Crew in Springfield, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Nite Crew in Springfield, MA (US)

I have been working at Stop & Shop full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay and benefits hard work!

Cons

Managers are clueless! Some employees do very little work. while others are trying to do there own work and make up the lazy employees work! Same people lazy every day! Managers don't care! They need to be trained how to run the stores! They just don't care!!!!

Don't over work the same people everyday! It makes them to give up when you ask too much out of them everyday! Learn how to get all shifts to work as a team! And be aware how long it takes to do certain jobs! Do not let employees be lazy!!! Get a clue!!!!

Work Hard For Little Reward

Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Smithfield, RI (US)
    Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Smithfield, RI (US)

I worked at Stop & Shop part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The best reason to work here is that it is a union job; which provides some job security. Also, if you work here long enough you develop close friendships with your co-workers. Somewhat flexible in terms of scheduling.

Cons

Very little, if any chance of promotion or career growth. Untrained management and very poor communication with corporate and management. You are a number here. Very little chance of having your voice or ideas heard; and even less chance of anybody having the authority to approve change. Management is terrified of corporate and will not even remotely consider taking any action to improve workplace. Corporate makes rules that negatively affect cashier and front-end, without much thought to the practical application of the policy. Hours for part-timers are always being cut, which results in shifts where you are very short-staffed and forced to work harder than necessary. Promotions in front-end especially aren't always based on skill or hard work and often are based on social relationships or personality; which can result in people having roles they are not equipped for.

Management needs to learn how to communicate with their employees. New procedures are never clearly defined or enforced and this creates a confusing environment where front end staff has no idea what is expected of them. Nobody is given proper training and managers often resort to passive aggressive remarks out of frustration. Consider a more formal employee review procedure where employees are able to voice their concerns and are given a chance to improve with specific requirements.

Only good for 15-16 year olds

Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Stop & Shop part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Paid holidays, paid vacation, sick time, personal days and time and half on sundays/holidays. Good with schedual requirements
    Some employees are nice
    Managers are nice

Cons

Boring
    Get yelled at all the time ( I mean like 15 times/4hr shift) by customers with no motive
    No room for improvement at all
    Only a 15 min break 4-7 hour shifts.
    Min 4 hour shift
    New people get hired in waves so everyone has to carry their baggage while customers compain about them making mistakes/being slow
    Rarely get appreciated for efforts

Appreciate your enployees more. And I mean say "thank you" not just food 2/year. and promote from within.

Okay place to work while in High School

Former Employee - CDH/Cashier/Customer Service Desk
    Former Employee - CDH/Cashier/Customer Service Desk

I worked at Stop & Shop full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Reliable paycheck, possibility to move up for reliable workers.

Cons

Not paid near enough for what you'll have to put up with. Very little respect from managers. Little tolerance for disabled baggers from a couple managers.

Without your employees (all depts) you wouldn't have a business. Show some respect and understanding. Be more flexible to accommodate their needs and show some respect to all employees.

Only reason to work here is because they work with school schedule.

I worked at Stop & Shop part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

People I worked with were great. worked with school schedule. taught you how to deal with customers and problem solve.

Cons

management sucked. always transferring people. not enough help. always had to work weekends and most holidays.

treat your employees better! Better pay!!! If you think your store is running well because of management you are wrong. It is the hard work of the part timers covering peoples hours and doing what management should be that makes the stores run.