Stop & Shop

Updated 17 September 2014
2.8

Stop & Shop President & CEO Carl Schlicker
Carl Schlicker

Pros
  • 15 hours minimum for Part-Time employees, 40 regular hours for Full-Time employees (in 29 reviews)

• Flexible hours to work around school or another job (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Need to make current Part time cashier full-time employees (in 27 reviews)

• they don't have hours for the part time workers, they work less then 30 hours a week (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Good experience, fine place to work

I worked at Stop & Shop

Pros

Managers are kind, there are no problems if you do your job. When people slack off is when they have a problem. I did my job and never had any issues whatsoever

Cons

I would say that there is very little room for upward mobility, but that comes with the territory I suppose. Managers are fine, receptive to any personal issue/need you may have, so long as you approach it professionally.

Keep doing what you're doing. When you treat employees with respect, they'll work hard.

A great place to grow.

Current Employee - Manager  in  Newark, NJ (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Newark, NJ (US)

I have been working at Stop & Shop as a contractor for more than 8 years

Pros

Benefits are on par with other companies. There is always room to develop both personally and your team. Associate discount and gas rewards.

Cons

Some of the contracts with the collective bargaining units are archaic and do not allow a qualified person to move past someone who has more seniority. There are many inflexible and unqualified people advanced who in other companies would be demoted, but there stay in position.

Use ROI everytime you come up with a new plan.

Overall, an OKAY place

Current Employee - CSDH  in  Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - CSDH in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Stop & Shop part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good workers, Hours are flexible

Cons

rude customers, sometimes management is pretty rude.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I worked on cash register

Former Employee - Cashier
    Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at Stop & Shop part-time for less than a year

Pros

Management was friendly for the most part, Fairly easy, flexible hours

Cons

Co workers left much to be desired, a lot of trying to push work on others

What you expect from a part time job.

I have been working at Stop & Shop

Pros

Benefits, Holiday Pay, Paid vacation after a year, Union.

Cons

Often poor lower level management.
    Lack of responsibilities

Try for some sort of culture and more training to lower level management and supervisors.

You're better off working at walmart

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Stop & Shop part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Was close to home. Time and a half on sundays (walmart does the same thing without the union dues). Actually, my boyfriend works at walmart and there is not one benefit i had over him.

Cons

Entire families work here and play favorites. I was one of the few that wasn't related to anyone when i got hired. Management allows favorites to fool around while one person cashiers and bags alone with a long line of customers waiting. Stupid rules like not being able to drink a water bottle even though the registers suck up all the moister from the air in the front end. Boring job. 1 hour working here is the equivalent of 5 hrs working elsewhere. Must be part of union to work here and the union takes $10 per week out of your check...they did that to me for 4 years and i never used the union for anything, ever. Don't work here. My boyfriend makes more at walmart By working there 2 years than i did working 4 years at stop and shop.

Don't play favorites so everyone actually works and not just 2/15 people on shift. Oh and learn how to actually manage people

There are better grocery stores to work for.

Current Employee - Service Clerk
    Current Employee - Service Clerk

I have been working at Stop & Shop part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Most of the coworkers are nice and enjoyable to interact with, due to our proximity to the suburbs lots of attractive women enter the store (LOL hey it's something), store is generally on the laid back side, relatively easy to get time off

Cons

Most of the time the upper management can't get their heads out of their butts, constant politics and ridiculous issues that shouldn't be happening, very often the front end is lacking in key supplies such as plastic or paper bags, not enough hours going around, lately being a unionized company is equally as bad as it is good, no health insurance anymore, overall a dismal atmosphere.

Get your crap together. I can't believe this store is even in business still.

Terrible company that punishes good work.

Current Employee - Produce Clerk  in  Wallingford, CT (US)
    Current Employee - Produce Clerk in Wallingford, CT (US)

I have been working at Stop & Shop part-time for less than a year

Pros

Not many. A few good workers who genuinely try to help new employees. Most are rotten and hate their jobs. The produce isn't bad to purchase if a good worker stocks it properly and ensures the quality.

Cons

It is an abusive environment. As a new employee, you are desperate to try to learn as much as possible in the first few months to be competent at your job. Coworkers withhold information from you and you have to figure most things out yourself with little and sometimes no help. If for some reason you do figure things out yourself (we can't have that, since you are continuously condemned as "stupid"), then they go to management and complain. Customers swarm around displays when you are stocking and get right up in your face and prevent you from working and they take produce from the U-Boat as they please. A very ruthless and cutthroat place to work. You have to watch your back at all times.

Management is only concerned with maintaining their own jobs. Advice is not useful.

A high school job...nothing more

I have been working at Stop & Shop

Pros

decent pay grade, flexible hours, some nice people who do work, skill building for future jobs

Cons

management is terrible to employees, will listen to lies told by customers over hard workers, sales based, pay cuts, hour cuts,

Good

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Methuen, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Methuen, MA (US)

I have been working at Stop & Shop part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Near to my home and having worked similar setting, so I know the work

Cons

Do a good job, my previous experience working in Market Basket

Worked for Stop & Shop? Contribute to the Community!