Storm8

4.3

Perry Tam

Generally good company

I have been working at Storm8

Pros

Company cares about it's people and generally good culture however recently there's been more of a change for the worse

Cons

Company is struggling to find its new direction after old strategy is starting to slow down in effectiveness

Incredible people, misdirected and overstretched

I worked at Storm8 full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Salaries are great, the office is nice, food and snacks are plentiful and pretty good. Yearly bonuses are generous, and I feel overall work/life balance for the average worker is pretty good, especially compared to other studios. All artists get Cintiqs. Hardware is decent, good infrastructure. A lot of dogs in the office (might be a con to some people).

Cons

Managers are overstretched and often absent. This results in a lot of miscommunication, wasted work, and neglect of their reports. There are no yearly raises, and in general raises and promotions are hard to come by. The projects are reskins or re-hashes of existing games. There is an insane fear of innovation, which is a shame because they have a wonder team that could make amazing games if given the chance. Hackathons are awe-inspiring, but the games made there end up tucked away never to be seen again.

Distribute the management layers appropriately. Some managers oversee upwards of 15+ people in multiple projects. Empower middle management to do their job and expand that layer as needed. Innovate! The recruiting team has done a spectacular job gathering the best of the best. Use people to their potential. You have a team of passionate individuals who want to make good games. If you want to keep them, allow them to be creative.

A gaming company that really values their employees

I have been working at Storm8 full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Let's start off with the actual location. The office is an open space and everyone is given a stipend to decorate their desk, so you see lots of creativity and personality throughout. Of course you get your nerf guns, toys, and other random decorations, but sometimes teams pool their money together to get a communal thing, like the recruiters turning their area into a tropical paradise or the UI team building a bar.

The executives really value employee satisfaction too. The work-life balance is manageable since there are a lot of people with families and pets. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner are catered every day and there are fully stocked snack rooms. They also sponsor team outings every quarter that include activities like wine tasting, go-kart racing, bowling, Santa Cruz boardwalk, etc. On the 5th anniversary, they actually flew everyone out on a 4-day all-expenses paid trip to Hawaii! Aside from that, there are the usual benefits of medical, dental, and 401K. They also sponsor health fairs and reward hard work with surprises like catering boba or handing out new swag.

Storm8 is also very profitable so salaries are much better than any competition out there. There is also room for bonuses each year. The longer you work at the company, the better your benefits get including extra PTO.

Lastly, the company culture and the people here are just amazing. Coworkers are friends outside of work and during company-wide events it's awesome to see people from other teams mingling with each other.

Cons

As for most companies, there are occasional nights or days where people may need to work later to meet a deadline. These are not often but can sometimes be draining the next day.

I would recommend focusing on how to improve the overall structure of the company, especially when it comes to raises and promotions.

Amazing culture, perks and leadership team!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA (US)

I have been working at Storm8 full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I could exceed the max character limit on this one...

Let me just start by saying this, I would highly recommend Storm8 to my friends, family, or anyone looking to learn, build, and have fun while doing it. This is actually the second time I've worked here, after venturing out into the big bad world of failed startup attempts. When it was time to come back to reality, I didn't even consider interviewing around. I knew where I wanted to go to battle everyday and with whom - my fellow stormies.

Here's what comes to my mind:
    - Leadership proactively cares about our happiness and career growth
    - Fun! I truly enjoy spending time with the people on my team and throughout the company
    - Highly intelligent coworkers. I've come to appreciate and value being surrounded by people way smarter than myself
    - Is it taboo to talk about money? Oh well - very competitive comp and aggressive bonus structure companywide
    - Just the right size. Still small enough to move quickly, yet bootstrapped and highly profitable
    - Perks!!! Swag, vacations, benefits, free devices, $$ to pimp out your desk, free breakfast/lunch/dinner
    - Dog friendly
    - Come as you are and dress comfortably
    - Show off your creativity
    - Flexible schedules
    - Challenging
    - Rewarding
    - Did I mention fun?

I know I'm forgetting stuff, but it doesn't matter. Come find out for yourself. :)

Cons

My commute from SJ isn't always enjoyable... my fault, not Storm8's though. :) And with flexible hours that hasn't been a problem lately!

Awesome company to work for!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA (US)

I have been working at Storm8 full-time (less than a year)

Pros

-talented and smart people
    -cooperative environment
    -promotes career growth
    -pet friendly
    -"pimp you desk" contest

What else can you ask for?

Cons

A bit of a long commute but they are flexible

Keep up the amazing work!

Exciting times! Moving to next phase of growth

I have been working at Storm8

Pros

Fantastic culture of highly motivated, smart people that actually collaborate well. People are dedicated, and still manage a work/life balance

Cons

Company is rapidly evolving and likely to go through some typical growing pains

Great company to work for

I have been working at Storm8

Pros

Work-life balance
    Awesome employees
    Plenty of room for growth
    Great food

Cons

Nothing really to not like here

Great Place to learn and grow

Current Employee - QA Tester
    Current Employee - QA Tester

I have been working at Storm8

Pros

Great people
    Great environment
    Fast Paced
    Learn a lot

Cons

Long crunch hours
    No cubes
    Game types don't vary

Talented people misdirected

I have been working at Storm8

Pros

Fun coworkers, great food, huge workplace, pimp your desk, hackathon, great vacations, BEST PAY

Cons

Zero innovation, copied concepts, copied algorithms, copied art, copied UI. Storm8 is a reskinning company headed towards doom. Great for immigrant visa support (mostly Asians in the company) and pays well but has some arrogant leaders who do not like feedback and belittle others. Some deserving talented people are still not promoted while others have been climbing up the ladder at a young age lacking in maturity.

Majority of these reviews are positive because positive reviews were 'requested'

Innovate, don't copy blindly. Promotion criteria should not be just talent but management skills and maturity. Reward humility not arrogance. Respct fresh ideas