Strata Decision Technology

3.1

Strata Decision Technology CEO Dan Michelson
Dan Michelson

32 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

heading in the right direction

Current Employee - Anonymous in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Strata Decision Technology full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people you work with are amazing and constantly helping you learn. It is a challenging, fast-pace environment with great opportunities to learn. The leadership is really trying to create an environment that everyone feels a part of the team.

Cons

work life balance is a challenge at times but that seems to be the case in many small companies. HR could be upgraded a bit.

Growing Company with a passionate team

Current Employee - Technical Consultant in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Technical Consultant in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Strata Decision Technology full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great Learning opportunities.
    Great company if you are looking for a challenging career.
    Good environment

Cons

It could be sometimes challenging to have a good work-life balance.

Amazing company, great opportunities for advancement and experience!

Current Employee - Senior Consultant Optimization in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant Optimization in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Strata Decision Technology full-time (less than an year)

Pros

At the core of this organization is a great team of sharp, hard-working professionals. Due to the company's innovative platform, they are experiencing rapid growth...so great opportunities to advance after a short time.

Cons

With rapid growth comes challenges...everyone is expected to chip in and roll up their sleeves...but you will be in good company with team-members who will be right there with you all the way!

Good opportunities, fun people, somewhat confused focus

I worked at Strata Decision Technology full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Much like other companies, your experience at Strata is heavily dependent on your manager. Because I moved within the company a fair bit, my experience was mixed, but for the last two years I had great managers and I enjoyed working there. Are there some bad days? Of course, but that is the case in any company. My interactions in my most recent role were primarily with the development team and some stakeholders on the consulting side, and I can't complain about the people I worked with. There are definitely some unprofessional people who, thankfully, I did not have to work with too much. But like some of the other reviews suggest, these people tend to be in positions of power because of which their aura permeates through the culture making the environment unprofessional on occasions.

Strata gave me the opportunity to find what I really enjoyed doing, and that is something I am very thankful for. They let you move internally if you prove yourself, which is great, especially right out of undergrad when you don't necessarily know what you want to do. Also, I met some truly awesome people who remain my closest friends.

Cons

My biggest problem with Strata is that they are confused whether they are a tech company or a consulting company. I think they WANT to be a consulting company, but at the end of the day they sell a product without which they might as well shut shop. The culture, the office space and the dress code are very consulting-esque and the political hierarchy and power lie within the consulting teams. As someone on the dev side of things, this was one of my biggest reasons for leaving.

Invest in the product and the product teams and keep your employees happy

Lack of Leadership

I worked at Strata Decision Technology full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity is there if you are lucky enough to have one of the VPs who do not have any prior experience in any industry other than at Strata.

Cons

I had worked at Strata for years, throughout a mass exodus that caused the previous owner to sell the company. Too bad things have not changed. The product is great, and the division I worked in enjoyed the work we did, but after working with leadership that did not know how to lead and how to create an atmosphere where people enjoyed themselves, it just became too much.

Fire the old Strata leadership team and re-hire the staff that left in the past.

Challenging work, rely on some good people, leadership team ignores employee feedback

Current Employee - Manager - Consulting Services in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Manager - Consulting Services in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Strata Decision Technology full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- There are quite a few good hard working co-workers that keeps the company going.
    - Strata has a great list of client organizations that will give a boost to your resume.
    - Employees can learn a lot in a very short amount of time. There are always opportunities to take on more work and responsibilities.

Cons

- Insecure and incapable leadership team
    - Strata is always short staffed which accounts for terrible work life balance
    - Work/responsibilities not distributed properly with the team and company which disproportionate amounts of work

Leadership team needs to stop pretending that they care because they really do not.

Weak Management, Terrible Office Politics, Motivation Killer

I worked at Strata Decision Technology full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Being an SME who was recently bought over by a private equity firm, this company is focused on growth but has maintained some of the start-up feel. It is a young, fun firm with opportunities to take on various responsibilities as long as it doesn't get in the way with management's insecurities (more on that later). Although not many, I have met a handful of genuine people that I truly respect and hope to cross paths with again in future.

Cons

Many of the existing reviews are spot on (the ones with low rating) and yes, management have been told to write (positive) reviews to bring up the score. Most of senior management consist of mediocre employers straight out of school, who stuck around and got promoted very quickly which stunted their growth and development leaving behind an inapt team of insecure, poor decision makers inhibiting company growth and improvement that the current CEO is trying to achieve.

It is extremely discouraging to see that even with a seemingly level-headed leader injected into the company, the team of young, inexperienced, overly sensitive and insecure management continue to compromise good intentions, hard work, team spirit and optimism of some of the rare bright talent (a couple within management, mostly below management but who usually perform management duties, coaching of their team and exceptional work but cannot break through the ceiling management has created with their insecurity).

But don't get me wrong, the young team of inexperienced managers are not bad people, they are great do-ers who were placed in leadership roles they weren't ready for which causes a detrimental impact to the company. The only thing I blame them for is not having enough self-awareness or concern for the greater good to step down from their role and let more adequate leaders unleash the business' full potential. This has cultivated a toxic environment that rewards brown-nosing, contentment with status quo, personal (and inappropriate) relationships, blaming others, hiding/lying about mistakes, where honesty, trust, openness and integrity are punished.

No room to grow with very few respectable, honest people you can confide in and learn from. If you stay at this place too long it can be soul crushing. When you leave a company, people say you are leaving your manager. In my case, this is absolutely true.

To CEO: You owe it to the company and the dwindling number of hopeful bright talent to make some difficult decisions (it's not exactly difficult when it's obvious to 75% of the company) to either terminate or demote non-performing VPs, AVPs, Directors and Managers. How many years do they get to "prove themselves"? Where is the accountability that has been constantly preached about when you joined?

Culture and management team need major overhaul

I worked at Strata Decision Technology full-time

Pros

The biggest pro about working here is that you can come up with your own ideas of how to do things and actually try them out. But on the flip side, because the management and culture here are so poor, it is very hard to get other people on your team to help you implement the ideas, even if they are good.

Another good thing about working here is that there are many very bright people. Some are an inspiration to work with and you can learn a lot from them. Some will be your allies and friends and biggest supporters. And some, sadly, will stab you right in the back. It is up to you to figure out who your real allies are.

Compensation is fair, office is nice, you get the computer equipment and tools you need.

Cons

Other reviewers lately have said it better than I could. There is a big problem with the management team. There are many people in management positions who lack the skills to be there - this includes VPs. They got promoted too quickly. Just because someone has been there for 10 years doesn't mean they're good. These people need to be evaluated, and either coached by someone who knows what they are doing, or asked to leave. Perhaps more hiring for high level positions from the outside needs to be done to fill the gaps and add experienced management to the mix.

The culture is best described in one word - competitive (and not in a good way). In almost every team, instead of working together, people fight to show that they are the best. If you do try to work with others, someone will use it as an opportunity to take advantage of you. If Strata employees could learn to work together, they could fix a lot of the cultural issues they are having.

Driving the competitive atmosphere is management's obsession with telling everyone constantly how great the company is. "#1 in our market! Top 500 places to work in healthcare!" they say. Hate to break it to you Strata, but the only reason you're in the position you are is because you have a monopoly right now. If another company deigned to enter your territory, they could easily wipe you out. Be more humble.

Again, as other reviewers have already mentioned, CEO needs to focus on fixing the management team. Hard decisions need to be made. Consequences for poor outcomes needs to be more than just a slap on the wrist. Then work on fixing the culture.

Overworked, Under-Appreciated and Underpaid

Former Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Strata Decision Technology full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good experience learning the in's and out's of a SaaS company. Also, through the immense cloud of mediocrity, there are a few extremely bright and talented individuals. I built a great relationship with many of my colleagues and they are the sole reason for me maintaining some semblance of sanity.

Cons

Upper management (excluding CEO/CFO) has been with the company since it's inception and has zero experience outside of Strata. Furthermore, they are extremely overpaid and will never leave as a result. They refuse to take ownership or responsibility for anything unless it is advantageous to themselves (often after one of their employees did all the work), and they refuse to acknowledge their star employees. The culture once had a startup feel, but now stifles innovation and puts extreme demands on working hours. However, the biggest problem by far is the product itself - StrataJazz. The development is shoddy, the data integrity and security is non-existent, there is no QA and every release causes more problems than it solves (ironically, they used to name their releases after bugs). Overall, the foundation of the company is a bucket of water, waiting to be tipped over at any moment.

Leave. You are the ceiling for this company, and until you get out of the way, the company cannot move forward. If you can change, then realize there are and always will be people that are smarter than you - enable these people to help the company and empower them to make the changes that you are unable to conceive yourself.

Opportunity and Challenges

Former Employee - Software Developer in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Strata Decision Technology full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Opportunity to grow into different roles
    Smart hard-working coworkers
    The company is poised to make some major progress if they can iron out some kinks

Cons

Pay was adequate but getting tighter under new owners
    Personal relationships trumped work quality for many teams
    Changes happening probably slower than they should
    Poor work-life balance in consulting positions

Keep it up with the recent changes, I think Strata is becoming a better place to work

Strata Decision Technology Photos