Sun Products Corporation

www.sunproductscorp.com

Sun Products Corporation Reviews

Updated 23 November 2014
Updated 23 November 2014

Sun Products Corporation Chairman, President & Chief Executive Officer Jeffrey P. Ansell
Jeffrey P. Ansell

Private Company with potential but morale struggles

Current Employee - Manager in Salt Lake City, UT (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Salt Lake City, UT (US)

I have been working at Sun Products Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

pay is good, work-life balance varies by department, strong cultural values, team members support each other, brand names and products you can be proud of.

Cons

staffing is so lean at this point that it's exposed to execution slip-ups; multiple years of struggling to achieve a decent bonus is disheartening to the loyal and dedicated employees. "next year..." is starting to fall on deaf ears.

Started off strong, but there was a change in management

Current Employee - Category Insights Manager in Bentonville, AR (US)
    Current Employee - Category Insights Manager in Bentonville, AR (US)

I have been working at Sun Products Corporation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Work/Life Balance is incredible here. Pay is good. Previous manager was very flexible and collaborative.

Cons

This is still the good 'ol boys club. There is an inability to adapt to today's virtual business and are passive aggressive and almost pouty when they are challenged to evolve. Communication is awful, you will be all but ignored if you are not one of the boys. Because if this lack of communication, they can't give a clear path to your role, or do they know how to develop you and they admit that.

Great brands, poor culture

Former Employee - Manager in Wilton, CT (US)
    Former Employee - Manager in Wilton, CT (US)

I worked at Sun Products Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great brands for each consumer segment, very talented employees, good inter-employee relationships, competitive compensation/benefits.

Cons

Leadership: constantly changing, lacking vision and motivation, creating punitive culture, reactive, micromanaging rather than leading. Workload unreasonable. Employee appreciation lacking.

Create a vision for the company. Create a culture of appreciation. Add some creativity and true marketing to the bookkeeping. Be realistic about the resources you have.

Great place for internships!

Former Employee - Process Engineer Intern in Trumbull, CT (US)
    Former Employee - Process Engineer Intern in Trumbull, CT (US)

I worked at Sun Products Corporation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly and very kind people! Great internship program and great pay for interns! Allow flexible hours. Good working environment. Nice building.

Cons

It is a fast paced environment where plans and assignments can change a lot within a short period of time.

Good experience but some management concerns

I worked at Sun Products Corporation

Pros

Good people generally, pay is pretty good for the marketplace

Cons

Recent management changes have left the company somewhat dyslexic about their direction, promotions less likely in certain areas of the company

Ooof!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilton, CT (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilton, CT (US)

I worked at Sun Products Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are none that I can think of.

Cons

Miserable place to work. No civility. No loyalty from management or to management. If you want to work 40 hours a week and get away with doing little while there, then this is the place for you.

Resign and let some competent senior management come in to make the (right) decisions that you are not. A new management team might actually be able to make some nimble decisions that will make the company some top and bottom line. Gripped in indecision is no way to manage a company. Hopefully the PE management will see the incompetence of current management and make some changes.

It's cool, but too many people are leaving.

I have been working at Sun Products Corporation

Pros

PEOPLE, teamwork, happiness, very very collaborative within locations

Cons

overload, unclear path for growth, sadness, silos between plants and locations

Steady decline in maintenance and production since created.

Former Employee - Mechanical Technician in Baltimore, MD (US)
    Former Employee - Mechanical Technician in Baltimore, MD (US)

I worked at Sun Products Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The fact that I'm not employed by this Investment Capital Train Wreck is the only positive outcome of this venture for me.

Cons

Our modern, high production, Union plant was destined for the chopping block ever since the Sun Products Corporation was created. Our production potential was purposely stifled to finance a non union facility in another state. The market share we once celebrated was sacrificed as well.

My advice to management was dismissed! We had a high volume, modern facility in the mid Atlantic region that could handle all the production for the eastern half of the country. We also had sufficient room for corporate offices, research laboratories and product expansion. We were ignored in favor of corporate Offices and Research labs in Connecticut, and a new manufacturing facility in Bowling Green Kentucky. Being owned by a Venture Capitalist is being subject to a quick flip, and we were the discarded property!

No Coherent management organization

Current Employee - Forklift in Bowling Green, KY (US)
    Current Employee - Forklift in Bowling Green, KY (US)

I have been working at Sun Products Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

slightly better pay than others, healthcare from day one, paid uniforms.

Cons

I spend most days doing and undoing the same thing due to different managers changing plans. The company seems to care for its employees but I have seen more evidence to the contrary.

Pay a little more and stop requiring so much overtime

Great people who are undervalued.

I have been working at Sun Products Corporation full-time

Pros

Great people, excellent company values, good pay and generous benefits. The Bowling Green plant has some of the best people I've ever had the chance to work with. It makes coming to work worthwhile on the tough days. And there are very tough days. New plant director has the right ideas and his leadership is much stronger than those in the past. Clean, safe facility.

Cons

Lack of valuing the people we have and the experiences and knowledge they bring with them. Taking people for granted. Too much of "This is what we are doing", instead of "This is what we have in mind. What do you think?" Issues brought to the attention of leaders are not addressed and continue to cause frustration. Hoping recent hires stay because we need them. They will only stay if we value them and treat them as important. Corporate doesn't understand the needs at the plant level and often gets in the way of progress.

Don't just take the word of your direct reports. Get into the organization and ask people, anonymously (what does that say?), to tell the truth about their leaders, their work expectations, and their commitment level to the company. Many frustrations and good people are looking elsewhere. Why don't we do 360 performance reviews? It's needed.

Sun Products Corporation Photos