Sunrise Senior Living

Updated 19 September 2014
3.1

Sunrise Senior Living CEO Chris Winkle
Chris Winkle

Pros
  • I met so many wonderful team members that I am honored to have worked with (in 18 reviews)

• Love the residents you are able to transfer (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Occassionally have to work long hours and the additional effort is not always recognised (in 9 reviews)

• Poor management, lack of leadership and poor communication (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Very good environment

Former Employee - Care Manager  in  Naperville, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Care Manager in Naperville, IL (US)

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living part-time for more than a year

Pros

good training and leadership programs,

Cons

not enough time, not enough salary

dont need to hire more, distribute time to employee

The friendly atmosphere, the beautiful landscape & artichecture, the cleanlines

Current Employee - Care Manager
    Current Employee - Care Manager

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly, helpful, good managment, very good co-workers

Cons

The scheduling needs better work

Life Changing Experience

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Sunrise is a great place to work mainly because the residents we look after are so amazing. They all have stories to tell from amazing lives, have a sense of humour and even when they are a bit challenging at times it usually ends up in a laugh. It doesn't feel like going to work just to a large family home.

Cons

The job itself is great but the amount of paperwork that has to be completed due to legislation is ridiculous and takes the gloss off what is a great job.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very fast paced, opportunities to learn, but you are just a number/position to them.

Current Employee - Executive Director  in  Phila, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Executive Director in Phila, PA (US)

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It is an extremely fast paced company with high expectations. If you are smart and self-motivated, you can be very successful. There are many opportunities to learn. Company is huge therefore if you need to relocate, chances are you could find a job in another Sunrise. They are clustered around most major US metropolitan areas.

Cons

You are only as good as last week's financial results, you constantly have to prove/explain yourself. There is no support for directors. Regional teams are stretched thin and focus on putting out fires. Poor work life balance. Very political. Has changed from public company to private, and has changed owners every few years, which causes frequent reorganization. Regional and corporate jobs are therefore very vulnerable to layoffs.

Aside from the front line team members, your community management teams (coordinators and EDs) are your most important players. There is very high turnover in these positions, mainly Executive Directors, Health Care Coordinators and Directors of Sales due to an immense amount of pressure and lack of support. Many regional team members and Vice Presidents are rude, not responsive and not trustworthy. Training and support for EDs and coordinators is not a priority for the regional teams, they are more worried about that week's financial/sales results These are essential to the success of the communities.

Fantastic

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living

Pros

Very well organized, very home like for our seniors, great company culture.

Cons

They need to incorporate more division wide training to help directors understand what it is like being on the front line at a community.

share more personal time with the front line staff

Level of Care Excellent

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time for more than a year

Pros

The staff truly care about the residents and aren't just there for a paycheck. The corporation has a good reputation. The benefits are excellent. The atmosphere is homey and the time with residents is fulfilling.

Cons

Bureaucracy can be a pain. Making changes for the good of staff and residents can take forever. The company has been sold to two separate corporations for care and for real estate, and that has resulted in another level of removal of top levels from staff doing the work day to day. Care staff turnover is too high.

Literally, walk a mile in the shoes of every front line staff position. Shadow each of us through a full day at least, for a week at coordinator level. Do not pass down directives from on high without input from the residents and staff. Be more creative about Corporate rewards for excellent work, eg discounts at more places than Verizon, restore cash rewards for years of service (drop new "gift catalog"), say Thanks more, and show respect especially for the Reminiscence Neighborhood. Require directors and coordinators to spend at least 2 days a month on the floor all day with staff and residents.

"Sunrise Senior Living an awesome, warmly and wonderful family to be"

Current Employee - Lead Care Manager  in  Wolverhampton, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Lead Care Manager in Wolverhampton, England (UK)

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I love working at Sunrise Senior Living because of the foundation belief. I feel this is heavenly. Furthermore, the mission statement, principles of service, the core values and the team member credo makes me feel comfortable and fulfilled in serving our residents.
    The residents are just so sweet to be with them. My co-workers are a formidable team. Together we form a wonderful family. Am always full of smiles, joy and fulfilled just to know that I can make a difference and put a smile on someone's face.
     I have been away from them for a couple of months due to sickness. Am amazed with the support and encouragements I have been receiving from the residents, management and co-workers. I am always emotional when am visited, receive cards and flowers from them, to the extent that I have been taken out for dinners organised by staff. I feel so humbled by these gestures of love. The management has always been in touch with me. This family is so special to me.
     I was amazed to receive a letter to acknowledge the long service I have been with Sunrise Senior Living. Hard work, commitment, dedication and passion is awarded at Sunrise Senior Living. In addition, to the remunerations i.e wages, pension, etc one is recognised for any extra effort made both for the residents as well as to members of staff i.e in form of shopping vouchers, soul and heart notes. I love this.

Cons

The main challenge has been the frequent changes of management. I guess it is unavoidable in a changing business environment. This however, has had an impact on some long term stay residents even some members of staff leaving. I believe there should be a balance on profit making and the Welfare of the residents.
    There has been challenges on annual leave approvals. At the beginning of the year everybody is requested to apply for the year. At times, it a problem to get approved on the specific times that one would like to have the time off due to lots of applications on that period. I do appreciate the challenge of satisfying everyone but at the same I recon that our residents have to be served at the highest standard possible to provide the quality of life.
    Apart from the basic training provided, I wish other extra relevant courses solicited by individuals could be allowed to enhance their job performance.

Care staff turnover is too high that sometimes leads to some other few remaining team members being overworked in turn leading to being off sick. This disturbs residents and work flows. Members of staff should be encouraged to do some extra activities for themselves supported by Management i.e dance clubs, swimming clubs, dinners clubs etc for team building
    There should be a very clear chain of command. Instructions from so many people confuses and puts strain especially on the care staff. For example, the Lead Care Manager instructs the Care Manager the task to be carried out, the Nurse may come to give more instructions on another task, before the tasks are completed may be the Activities Coordinator requests another task to be done by the same individual. Before long the General Manager or Deputy Manager asks for an urgent task to be done.

Love this company

Current Employee - Activities Assistant
    Current Employee - Activities Assistant

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Promote from within, rewards employees for outstanding work, supportive of continuing education, good work ethic and team work

Cons

Hours and budget cut can effect resident servces

remember that the needs of residents do not decrease simply because there may be fewer in the building at any given time-

Fantabulous in the healthcare industry

Current Employee - Assisted Living Coordinator  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Assisted Living Coordinator in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Friendliness, professionalism, homelike environment. I would have my family live at Sunrise, and only Sunrise

Cons

Polo shirts and khaki pants as the dress code

Great job!

Care partner assisting the elderly in anything/everything where they are unable to do for themselves.

Current Employee - Care Partner  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Care Partner in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time for less than a year

Pros

Air conditioned, food given sometimes for job well done, we can conduct activities with residents, we are sitting down/standing up throughout shift, the decor inside is home like and pleasant, always sweet smelling odors in the air, I like working here...

Cons

Having to work with different age groups/personalities in a close home like setting. Co-workers not doing their tasks or young college workers not taking their job seriously. Too many residents to care for at once (13).

Thank you for hiring me. I really enjoy my job because it is rewarding but the pay is low. We either need more staff members on the floor in order to efficiently care for these residents or we should be given more pay. $10/hour is not enough to give complete care for 13 elderly people. I do it because I'm a single parent with children and have no choice.

Sunrise Senior Living Photos

Worked for Sunrise Senior Living? Contribute to the Community!