Sur La Table

Updated Apr 01, 2014

Sur La Table CEO Jack Schwefel

Jack Schwefel

13 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Needs to get their act together before becoming irrelevant

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at Sur La Table part-time for less than a year

ProsGreat customers, great employees, nice products

ConsHours cut across board every week. No directive for new products placement, no time allocated for given tasks, to keep store clean, with the inclusion of sell sell sell!! Unrealistic daily expectations. Infrastructure is 10yrs old. Company can't even market themselves properly constantly mixed up with WS. Name recognition very low.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange before you guys are the same as the local supermarkets' kitchen aisle. Well trained employees help make the sales not the products. The customers always ask to be educated on even the most basic items. Visual team should be realistic (no PS) and organized. new products should be given placement. De-clutter your shelves & stack-outs (too much distraction), customers always walk past the products they came in for.

Overall good company to work for.

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Costa Mesa, CA (US)

I worked at Sur La Table part-time for more than a year

ProsGreat discount on product once you are a full employee. 40% off of everything.

ConsFolding towels and napkins. You get them all done and have to do them all over again the next day.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a new computer system. With people being technologically advanced in today's market, the POS system is outdated and difficult to work with (takes too much time).

Additionally, while I understood capturing customer data, it was pushed so hard that I became a robot so that I didn't forget to ask for something. Maybe find an easier way or loosen up on those standards. Concentrate on being "THE" source for kitchenware knowledge and expertise.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great work place!

Newport Beach, CA (US)

I have been working at Sur La Table part-time for less than a year

ProsAwesome coworkers annd managers. Incredible discount!!!

ConsNot many hours after the holidays and peak season.

Great crew to work with

Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Sur La Table as a contractor for more than a year

ProsPeople and customers wonderful
Great Discount

ConsSometimes tough to get hours
Raises are small

likeable staff

Stock Associate (Current Employee)
Santa Monica, CA (US)

I have been working at Sur La Table part-time for less than a year

ProsNice people, low key atmosphere

ConsI'm doing part-time restocking and the palce is a bit of a mess except for in the store itself.

Do it for the discount if you must, but only until you can find somewhere else better.

I have been working at Sur La Table

ProsGenerous discount. 40% off full retail price, 1 electric per month.

Relaxed dress code.

Great clientele.

Free coffee from the Jura and Nespresso machines.

Now and then there are snacks to sample in the back if not on the floor.

Cons• Benefits begin and end with the discount.

• I have worked for Sur La Table since May 2011, as both a culinary assistant and a sales coworker, and have never received any kind of training, orientation, or even employee handbook.

• When I transferred to the sales floor two months ago, the store manager informed me that pay starts at $10 hourly. I've been making $9.50 ever since.

• Very little opportunity for advancement.

• With a few exceptions, unhelpful if not combative management team.

• Management largely incapable of thinking for themselves. Unless it's on a spreadsheet, it doesn't exist.

• Require full-time availability, but most weeks only give 4-8 hours per coworker. I thought this was a store policy (a previous store manager was fired because the staff incurred too many meal break penalties) until reading the other reviews on this site.

• Weekly schedules are made on Monday, based on sales and forecasts, and must be approved by district manager and not issued until Wednesday. Schedules are seemingly revised at will—last week I was told an hour before my shift that I had been called off because numbers had not been met.

• Was told that I could not have my schedule e-mailed to me, as it constitutes working from home—even though other jobs in the past have done this. Have yet to find a state or federal law that supports this.

• Most shifts last only 4 hours. My store is located in a premium shopping center in a busy part of town where street parking is difficult to find. Arriving to work requires on average an hour in drive and parking time, or spending $9 at the mall parking garage to work 4 hours at $9.50 per hour.

• Never seen a major chain retailer so poorly organized. My store employs a full-time stockroom manager as well as a full-time merchandising manager, yet the stockroom always looks like a bomb went off. Inventory is stashed wherever there is room on the floor with no rhyme or reason. I can't begin to count the number of items that are not priced.

As a result, countless man hours in productivity and sales are lost every day because we can't find the product within our four walls, or spend peak time horsing around between the company site and the archaic POS system looking for prices on items.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's really quite sad that Corporate chooses to operate based on their balance sheet and executive bonuses, because this could be such a great place to work and for the customer an even better place to shop.

People are the most valuable resource of any organization, yet it seems that staff are not worth as much as the $3,000 coffee machines they push us to sell.

It costs money to make money—invest in your staff and your stores, give them the resources needed for success. Quit trying to squeeze nickels out of pennies.

Allocate an advertising budget to the culinary program. Realize the difference between stores and local markets—you can't compare Farmer's Market to Newport Beach because the demographics are night and day.

Fantastic Company and a great place to work!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Sur La Table

ProsGreat Discount, Love Cooking, great People

ConsSur La Table has a a very fast paced work environment. It's intense.

Unfair Management Practices

Floor Lead (Current Employee)
Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Sur La Table

ProsKnowledgeable sales staff. Great customers and wonderful porducts and good values.

ConsAs an employee of Sur la Table, though I am one of the "chosen few", I myself have been berated and embarrassed by my manager more than once on the floor, in front of other employees, and customers. Although it was a shocking experience, I came to realize that this is the typical treatment of employees by the management. I witnessed this happeingin to other employees, and in fact, to my own assistant manager by the store manager and to the store manager by the district manager. I began to realize it's akin to a dysfunctional family and realizing the corporate culture of Sur la Table involved such distasteful behavior, I decided that my talents would serve better to another company.

Advice to Senior ManagementSur la Table is fortunate to hire employees (comprised mostly of customers) who have a creative passion for food, cooking, cookware and the myriad of accoutrement that entails; mostly because they don't really train their staff. It will be an unfortunate end however; when those employees (customers) become so disenchanted with the treatment they receive from management that they leave their employment and vow to shop exclusively at cooking.com and Williams Sonoma and the many other cooking supply stores that offer the same merchandise without the drama.

Great discount, but don't expect to get very many hours consistently

I have been working at Sur La Table

ProsThe customers can be great to talk to and help. Some wonderful people work there. You can learn a lot about cooking.

ConsThe management is very inconsistent. Some rules apply to only some employees and not others. New rules are not always posted. You are asked to be available to their needs and you never know how many hours you will be given week to week.

Advice to Senior ManagementVisit your stores more often and talk to the employees on the sales floor and ask them what's going on in the store. Show up unannounced when you visit and have a look at what the store is like before we have a chance to make it nice for a corp visit,

Destructive Management Style

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Santa Monica, CA (US)

I worked at Sur La Table

ProsInteresting customers
Learn a great deal from customers
40% discount on regular priced items
Many of the co-workers are really nice

ConsManagement, which includes the District Manager, do not care about the employees, its all about reports. Long term employees are not respected. There is no recognition of employees strengths or accomplishments unless you are among the chosen few. Holiday hiring a disaster-hours are kept mainly for the temp workers who are also paid a higher hourly salary. Those employees with product knowledge are pressured to sell, sell, sell while the temps are on the registers. So different expectations, different salaries.

Advice to Senior ManagementRead the review dated 5/20/10 "Some reasons to work for Williams and Sonoma instead of Sur La Table". Clueless management don't know how to keep good employees.

Worked for Sur La Table? Contribute to the Community!

Sur La Table Videos

Sur La Table – Why Work for Us?

​​ In 1972, the first Sur La Table opened its doors in Seattle's Pike Place Market. Everyone from novice home cooks to professional chefs found a surprising selection of culinary tools from around the world—with plenty… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sur La Table reviews and ratings in Los Angeles, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Sur La Table CEO Jack Schwefel. All 13 reviews posted anonymously by Sur La Table employees.