Synapse Product Development

Not yet rated.

Ross Collins

Great place to work

I have been working at Synapse Product Development

ProsThe main thing I like is that we work in a culture of strong mutual respect. Curiosity is the key quality people exhibit and it let's people focus on solving problems rather than politics. Failure is tolerated as long as you own the problem. Asking for help early is always encouraged

ConsCurrently, the company is facing short term business challenges requiring a change in process

Advice to Senior ManagementFill the pipeline and don't burden us with process

Mayday mayday! This ship's going down!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Synapse Product Development

ProsSome people at Synapse work really hard to make it a good place to work. There are a lot of very smart people to learn from, and there is a culture to encourage that learning (this is seen the most in the mechanical engineering department, but also in others to a lesser extent). If you're into booze - there is no shortage of that here. Most people are pretty friendly and open. Lots of very athletic people if you're into that. Benefits package is pretty good for a small company.

ConsJob instability. Two layoffs within one year. The future is looking very bleak. HR can be heavy handed in dealing with off color things. As an example - one specific word was censored repeatedly from the internal wiki. In another incident, a coworker was reprimanded for a mildly off color joke. The culture can be very cliquey. Promotions are fairly random and haphazard - more about who likes you rather than what you can do for the company. Management structure changes on a weekly basis. Leadership tries to promote a company "culture" - but almost all of that culture died off between the layoffs and the massive increase in size of the company, so at this point it just feels painfully forced.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit. Two layoffs in 10 months? You have failed.

Great culture and environment, lack of projects and clients make it very challenging

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Synapse Product Development full-time for more than a year

ProsFantastic people, great work location, and amazing perks: free beverages, beer Fridays, Weekly Wednesday lunches, generous PTO.

ConsUnfortunately, there is not enough diversity in clients, and plenty of competition in the marketplace. Having just a few is very risky. As a result, Synapse has had yearly layoffs - of 15-20% every year - due to client project need changes.

You may also be placed in a role that is outside of your area of expertise, making it more challenging.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe upper management team has tried for 1 year with very little success on obtaining new clients and new sales opportunities. Recommendation would be to have new sales teams, to diversity projects and clients, including a change in leadership.

Time to start looking for a new home

I have been working at Synapse Product Development full-time for more than 3 years

ProsBesides a paycheck, nothing

ConsLeadership is severely lacking a vision. Constant on-boarding of new Senior Management is a joke. The CEO is spinning in circles with no direction and no idea how to build or make Synapse into what it was 2 years ago. The same clients we have had for years are pulling back on projects so revenue is drastically falling. We just went thru another layoff which was horrible and saddening to go thru.

Advice to Senior ManagementAll of your rock stars are getting ready to leave because of the Leadership

Fantastic company with great people

Software Engineering Intern (Current Employee)
Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Synapse Product Development as an intern for less than a year

ProsYou get to work on some really cool projects, they treat their employees very well

ConsYou really need to be a self starter here. No one is really telling you what to do.

Great place to work, but still maturing

Management (Former Employee)

I worked at Synapse Product Development full-time for more than a year

ProsCollaboration is a value, and an expected fact
Brilliant engineers who are creative and know there disciplines
Open office plan where projects are quickly and easily co-located
Wednesday company lunches and Beer:30s

ConsJust changes management and they are struggling with values that made the company
New management is in an ivory tower a bit and not communicative
They grew too fast and are trying to bring in business to match current size with limited success resulting in repeated layoffs

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk with your people and listen to them more. There is a trust issue widening as the belief is that you are all making decisions that impact them and they are not a part of it. They were hired under the "Open Disclosure" promise and see it being violated. If that is no longer the policy, then state it and set out what is the current practice. Stop hiding and excluding them.

Bad impression

Director (Current Employee)
Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Synapse Product Development full-time for less than a year

ProsThe office is great, the general staff seems accomplished.

ConsThe in-house contract company doesn't like their relationship or how they are treated.
Synapse has the worst recruitment/hr process I have ever experienced.
The business leadership in Seattle seems lack-luster improperly experienced.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange your Seattle management team.

The best part about the company is the people you work with.

Pros- People
- Culture
- Awesome stuff to work on

ConsOverall the product development market is very volatile.

Great company with a great culture and even better employees

I have been working at Synapse Product Development for more than a year

ProsBright people who enjoy solving difficult problems. Lots of different projects going on. Company makes a strong effort to maintain a work life balance.

ConsCulture can be emphazied too much. Some projects are going in different directions from the rest of the company and will be interesting to see how true to the core teams they remain.

Great job for people who want to do actual engineering work

Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee)
Seattle, WA (US)

Pros*Great culture - no one is afraid to voice opinions, everyone is ambitious and intelligent, people go the extra mile to solve problems
*Challenging and interesting work
*Management works hard to make sure employees are happy
*IT department is excellent
*Lack of cubicles can be distracting but fosters collaboration and efficiency

Cons*Days can be long occasionally

Advice to Senior ManagementThe culture is phenomenal but because of growth extra work will be needed to keep it that way.

Worked for Synapse Product Development? Contribute to the Community!

Synapse Product Development Videos

Synapse Product Development – Why Work for Us?

INNOVATION MEETS REALIZATION Synapse works with the world's leading companies to create products and experiences that change the way we live. With collaboration and engineering at our core, we bring the insight, tools… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Synapse Product Development reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Synapse Product Development CEO Ross Collins . All 15 reviews are posted anonymously by Synapse Product Development employees.