Synopsys

Synopsys Reviews

Updated Apr 21, 2014

Synopsys Co-CEOs Dr. Aart J. de Geus and Dr. Chi-Foon Chan

Dr. Aart J. de Geus and Dr. Chi-Foon Chan

Pros:
  • "Provides a good work/life balance, mostly an un-stressed work environment"
    in 50 reviews
  • "Flexible working hours when necessary"
    in 22 reviews
Cons:
  • "gt;) Limited opportunities for growth"
    in 11 reviews
  • "There is not much room for career growth for the CAEs"
    in 16 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Very good learning environment and helpful colleagues

Technical Intern (Former Employee)
Hyderābād

I worked at Synopsys as an intern for more than a year

ProsGood work culture and technically challenging work

Conssome times miss worklife balance

Good People Oriented Company

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Synopsys full-time for more than 8 years

ProsPeople Friendly, Good Work Life balance

ConsNo or limited Career growth. You have to wait for the opportunity to arrive

Great technology company to work for

I have been working at Synopsys full-time for more than 10 years

ProsVery stable, Good people, flexible working hours, employee oriented

ConsLot of internal politics at Sr Mgmt level

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter to have / allow more interaction across the different groups / teams

A great place to work.

Senior Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Synopsys full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat minds @ work and most work/life balance

ConsVery niche area and hence need to update yourself regularly about the recent market trends so that a change to your career is easy.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay needs to be on par with industry standards

Good company to work but watch out for bad bosses in India

R & D Engineer Senior (Current Employee)

I have been working at Synopsys full-time for more than a year

ProsGood company to work for with mature management and people. Flexibility and technocratic culture is a plus. People friendly corporate.

ConsIf you are unlucky and get a bad boss forget about career progression and work/life balance. It is a prevailing norm in India that if your boss doesn't like you he'll keep overloading you with work and set unrealistic expectations. When you are working on one set of tasks they'll ask status on another status of tasks and they'll not listen to any justification. Their talk about quality is also a hypocritical joke, their expectation is to show progress as fast as possible so they can maintain shining badges to their superiors. They are too cowardly to admit that, yet they talk like noble warriors.

Some of them are so pathetic that they style themselves with blunt communication while the entire industry in general advocates empathetic communication to bring the best out of employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you are promoting engineers to managers please ensure that they will have at least rudimentary people skills and don't pretend to be managers yet have the mindset of engineers.

Good, Reliable Company

CAE (Current Employee)
Hyderābād

I have been working at Synopsys full-time for less than a year

ProsGood Bonus, Good salary
You are surrounded by smart people
- You have so much to learn
- Free and open technology, you get to work on multiple assignments
- Fast paced culture

ConsCons – Complicated systems and processes. It is a complex business but things can always be taken a level higher than what they are currently at.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to tap into more business

Good learning experience but highly process driven

Senior CAE (Former Employee)

I worked at Synopsys full-time

Pros- Leader in EDA with access to great technology (especially after MAGMA merger)
- Good pay and benefits
- Take good care of employees
- Good training initiatives

Cons- Process driven and slow
- Too many products that do the same thing
- Prefers to use lawyers instead of engineers to beat competition

Good place to work, values and ethics are taken up with priority. Open door police is a big plus.

Corporate Applications Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Synopsys full-time for more than a year

ProsGood peer support, excellent projects for overall development, upper management supports very well during critical projects.

ConsSometimes timelines are un-clear due to customer needs, and as a team we need to cover up for the time line shifts. I guess this is a genuine issue faced in every company.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement could be proactive in assessing resource requirements, otherwise they are very open to the employees in terms of ideas, criticism and feedback.

Good place if you want to sit back and achieve nothing

I have been working at Synopsys full-time for more than a year

ProsLaid back life and not very hectic

ConsNot a good place for career growth, rewards and recognition, or great hikes. Overall complacent management and environment.

As a Whole Good company BUT Synopsys Noida(India) is Pathetic work place they are Spoiling the brand name of Syopsys.

R&D Engineer II (Current Employee)
Noida

I have been working at Synopsys full-time for more than a year

ProsSee , If you can crack any other companies interview.., If you'r are from Product domain background you will seriously make yourself disappointed after joining
Synopsys (Noida location)

Pros..
Good Work in Some teams..
Old Brats in Overseas Synopsys Office are one of the best in Industry..(Mark my words Synopsys Office employees.., In recent past there are some mergers in synopsys
from diffrent small companies , I am not talking about employees of those companies..as they dont fall in these categories.. look out Cons section for that)..

ConsCons..
No proper people management..
Human resource teams are not aligned for Synopsys as a whole in NCR location.., Which is most irritating.
Employees who are merged in Synopsys from other small mergers Specially Coware or Nsys etc... are taking the brand value of Synopsys as granted...,they don't come up with the standards or ethics ,culture which synopsys is brings in..,these employees who were in there small mergers company & brings in an experience of so called 10-15 years
actually will not allow new employees to grow & don't help in bring out the best in them.., as they feel insecure of there positions, Most of them are underdog with no sense of work ethics or professionalism.
Imagine your future strings in hand of people who are insecure of there positions & always run to save there own chair instead of cultivating knowledge & ethics..
Extremely Poor management of work.
Most of the work is Test framework & Setting configuration management scripts, etc.. is done at these Noida locations, there is very least amount of development work that too happens in very specific team with Only 1-2 members.., So please don't dream to get a Cutting Edge development work.., Warning in advance..
Your Compensation Letter will be very tempting Or the way the HR coordinates with you during your final Offer letter release will look tempting to you
but please don't fall in trap.., it will be a utter waste , Sooner you realize it better you will be .., Later you realize it more damage you cause yourself.
Incompetent managers, no training, no morality
Typical hypocracy is style of management. No reverse feedback. Manager can decide anything and say So to you.. & to HR to damage you'r feedback.
No appreciation for work..Compared to any Standard Product Company, Lots of politics..(Specially in Merger Synopsys Arms like Coware, NSys, VL etc..), Make sure if you get a offer from one of these So called merger companies.. please take a good investigation before joining.
In all miserable miserable work place. If you have worked in any of US based MNC please don't expect the same work culture/ethics.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate to your team members transparently, and managers please study few or many management knowledge and skills, don't act as an Teacher, make sure that you are a manager & appreciate your designations at least.

Worked for Synopsys? Contribute to the Community!

Synopsys Videos

Synopsys – Why Work for Us?

Synopsys: Innovation and Beyond Synopsys is a world leader in electronic design automation (EDA), supplying the global electronics market with the software, IP and services used in semiconductor design and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Synopsys reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Synopsys CEO Dr. Aart J. de Geus and Dr. Chi-Foon Chan. All 413 reviews are posted anonymously by Synopsys employees.