T. Rowe Price

T. Rowe Price Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

T. Rowe Price President, CEO, and Director James A. C. Kennedy

James A. C. Kennedy

Pros:
  • "Very people friendly company, with good work/life balance"
    in 19 reviews
  • "Great benefits and comfortable work environment"
    in 35 reviews
Cons:
  • "headset policy is cumbersome, even for a call center)"
    in 14 reviews
  • "Impact to ability to have appropriate work life balance"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Personal Services

Financial Advisor (Current Employee)
Colorado Springs, CO (US)

I have been working at T. Rowe Price full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood benefits and pleasent work atmosphere.

ConsLower pay (10% lower than other local firms).

I worked at T. Rowe Price

I worked at T. Rowe Price for more than 10 years

ProsGreat Benefits. Good opportunities available.

ConsMany managers not great at developing staff. Easy to get stagnant in a role. Difficult to move up.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter internal communications and development/growth plans for associates

Great Company

Baltimore, MD (US)

I have been working at T. Rowe Price full-time for more than 10 years

ProsIt's like family. Most people are helpful.

ConsCompensation could be higher than it is.

Conservative, healthy company with the need to promote leaders not project mgrs

Associate, Individual Contributor (Current Employee)

I have been working at T. Rowe Price full-time for more than a year

ProsExecutives and leadership crave innovative thinkers and are focused on the right directives ....serving clients while remaining operationally nimble and efficient.

ConsOutside of call centers, mid level people-managers are long timers, promoted for successful project delivery. Unfortunately, they do not have the experience to lead organizational change, translating objectives into actionable goals for their teams. As a result, new ideas are discouraged and teams do not adapt. For associates that have held management roles outside of the company, it is disheartening and may be "years" before your voice is heard or you are promoted in order to make a difference.

Advice to Senior ManagementHR and high level executives: Look deep within your organizations and consider leaders based on current and past internal & external TRP experience rather than relationships and successful project delivery. Hold mid PLs and VPs accountable for aligning team charter with real tactical measures of success. Soft measures of being T Rowe Nice and "this is how we have always done it" is a corporate culture not a goal. Foster inclusion of new ideas at all levels, that align to the "goals", and through this you will unleash passionate innovative ideas that deliver results.

Good opportunity for career advancement

I worked at T. Rowe Price full-time

ProsGreat community of people and strong focus on the customer

ConsVery conservative of decisions and changes often take a long time

Nice people, no opportunities for career development

London, England (UK)

I worked at T. Rowe Price full-time for more than a year

ProsGood salary and benefits, nice people, nice office facilities (the sort of thing you take for granted until you go to work somewhere with much older computers etc).

ConsNo career development opportunities - people who 'play the game' and spend more of their time brown-nosing than actually working or managing get promoted, while other internal candidates who have worked at the company for years are put through massive hoops (20 plus interviews for an internal promotion) and then passed over. NB - I am not referring to myself. Also, the organisational structure and the way my department operated meant there were no opportunities for career development and in fact the job wasn't even how it was advertised when I applied for it so I ended up working here for a couple of years and very quickly finding I was disappointed and stagnating. But for people who are in the right sort of teams with the opportunity for career advancement - or you have the sort of personality that means you will get ahead regardless - it is a good company to work for.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at organisational structures and career development opportunities or you will continue losing staff

Campus College style work environment, monotonous tasks

Owings Mills, MD (US)

I have been working at T. Rowe Price full-time for less than a year

Proshighly invested in your retirement but fully vested after 5 years of service, cafeteria atmosphere is fun and friendly like in college, young workforce

Consmonotonous tasks, micromanaged, company shifts around employees every 6-8 months as "promotions" to keep you from boredom, low pay

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a personality, most of you are as dry as chalk, and stop acting so afraid. This must stem down from their management.

Lowered Expectations

Brokerage Representative (Former Employee)
Tampa, FL (US)

I worked at T. Rowe Price full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThe people you'll work with at T.Rowe Price are for the most part the best people you'll meet at any job you'll ever have. Enough Said. You will be able to get your licenses and they let you study while you're at work now. This has changed since when I started. Back in the day, you studied at home.The company will go above and beyond NOT to lay folks off. Even in 2008, when layoffs were done, they were done more as a reduction in force = they let go the low performers. We're talking less than one out of 10 people.

ConsIf you're in Tampa, believe me when I say - Baltimore/Owings Mills forgets you exist - until it's really windy or there is an inch of snow. You will then be forced to do mandatory overtime. Thanks for cooperating and here is a box of SnoCaps for your troubles. Seriously, they gave us SnoCaps (candy). This would be funny if it didn't happen EVERY year. You'll have to help out the Colorado office too when it snows. That's right...when it snows. It's odd that snow in Colorado would close down an office isn't it? Surely they've seen snow before. The best open secret is when they close down the office - that site isn't charged a vacation day. This is a highly kept secret that management acts like doesn't exist when talking to the Tampa office.

The other great problem of being in the Tampa office has to do with opportunities. You've got a chance to basically be promoted two or three times before you'll top out. There's no where else to go....unless you want to go to Baltimore. Most folks in Tampa aren't interested in going to Baltimore for obvious reasons. So, T. Rowe Price then has their good employees who aren't just "collecting a paycheck" leave to other opportunities in the Tampa Bay area. This is an epidemic that is getting worse and worse day by day.

Diversity and Inclusion is brought up all the time. That is all well and good, but to be inclusive or diverse just to check off a box or pat ourselves on the back is INSANE. Hire THE BEST people for the job not because of their skin color or their chromosomes or their sexual preference or their religion or etc... This has been mentioned in other reviews as well and there's been a big push towards these hiring practices. These practices have become more apparent since the company hasn't required a college education to be hired. I'm pretty sure this is done so they don't hire a high flyer who get their licenses and the just leaves the company, but they have someone who's content in having a job and won't leave.

Also, having Brokerage reps do Tradelink 401k calls is comical. They're doing that no in addition to taking orders for the following: Non-TRP Mutual Funds, Precious Metals, Options (Spreads & Straddles), Treasuries, Corporates, Munis, UITs, Agencies, Equities, ETFs, Reorgs, Splits, Mergers, Tax Research, etc... Brokerage has kept getting more put on it's plate as other departments dump things on us. It's very frustrating as a Brokerage rep to have someone in PSG who is paid at a higher pay when they've shown they can't or don't want to do our job - even though 64% of PSG clients have BROKERAGE accounts!

Advice to Senior ManagementDoing more with less since 2008. This has become worse and worse the longer I've been with it. I know every company has done this since 2008, but it just seems quite extreme. I'm doing more work with more responsibilities and not being paid more or more importantly appreciated. Please, please, please, let people have a work/life balance. That's hard to do with people on the phones, but it is possible - I know other companies do it. Also, don't be so reactive and be more proactive. We're always buying umbrellas AFTER it rains it seems. Hire some more people please! One more thing...please train people in a timely manner. It makes ZERO sense to give someone a pay increase before they can actually facilitate the role. After you get the pay increase, what's the incentive in being trained for your new role and passing all those FINRA exams If you change this - you'll see the go-getters rise to the top.

no advancement opportunities

Brokerage Representative (Current Employee)
Tampa, FL (US)

I have been working at T. Rowe Price full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIt has a good benefits package

ConsBelow average salary for industry standards

Advice to Senior Managementbe more flexible

Early in my career but things are promising

Retirement Client Associate (Current Employee)
Owings Mills, MD (US)

I have been working at T. Rowe Price full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat support for licensing. Sups and Seniors care about your development from day one.
The people are great. Everyone is ambitious.

Above average benefit structure.

ConsFirst time having every minute of my day managed

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on caring about the development of the associates, they will always reward you with hardwork.

Worked for T. Rowe Price? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at T. Rowe Price reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for T. Rowe Price CEO James A. C. Kennedy. All 249 reviews are posted anonymously by T. Rowe Price employees.