TD Commerce Bank

www.tdbank.com

TD Commerce Bank Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014
TD Commerce Bank – US – “THE GOOD OLD DAYS”

TD Commerce Bank – US – “THE GOOD OLD DAYS”

Not yet rated.

TD Commerce Bank President & CEO Mike Pedersen

Mike Pedersen

Pros
  • Good customer service is the main focus and not meeting quotas (at least not yet) (in 3 reviews)

• They give a good amount of Paid Time Off, and are flexibile about vacations (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • A customer service rep barely earns enough to get by (in 4 reviews)

• Upper management need to communicate more with workers (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Went from CSR to management

Sales & Service Manager (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA (US)

ProsYou will learn more here than you will at any bank hands down. You will literally touch with every department at some point and learn something new. Plenty of skills you can take in your next career move.

ConsThere is absolutely no work/life balance. Count on 50+ hours a week, plus no lunches. Plus the events that you are "encouraged" to go to.
    Overwhelmingly short staffed--you will get cross trained so you can do double duty and save the bank money. But you will still always be scrambling.
    Far too reactive instead of proactive. They let issues get out of hand before they do anything about it.
    They pay is bottom tier compared to other banks--because of this, you have crappy college level kids working in branches that don't care enough about their job, which results in massive amounts of turnover. Payouts are also bad because things that you can't control (charged off accounts) come out of your branch's bottom line (yet they've done nothing about it for years).
    Disorganized and inconsistent. One branch will tell you one thing, go up the street and they will tell you the opposite. Customer issues could have you bounced around from several different departments before you get an answer.
    Unrealistic sales goals, they do not factor in demographics (loan approvals in a low income area are highly unlikely)
    Promotions are honestly based more on if someone above you likes you. And of course, you need to move in the direction that senior management wants you to go. Make a mistake, and they ice you out.
    The "culture" almost feels like a cult. Wear the TD pin in public when not working and put a bumper sticker on my car? No thanks.
    The most telling is the fact that years ago TD sponsored bike races, cancer walks, etc. They don't do those anymore. Only can do events if it keeps you below staffing and you get to open accounts. They are really losing that connection with the community.

Advice to Senior ManagementCWI is not an accurate indicator of customer satisfaction. Everyone gets the same amount of shops regardless of volume which makes no sense.
    People are leaving in droves because they are overwhelmed and tired--and they will keep leaving unless you make some serious changes.

Absolutely loved working for commerce left when it became TD. TD doesn't treat employees like commerce did

Head Teller (Former Employee) Boca Raton, FL (US)

ProsAdvancement possibilitity

ConsHours
    Holidays
    Policies aren't the same
    Florida management

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to be the same policies. If it works in the north it should work in the south

A strange trip I wouldn't take over again.

Portfolio Manager (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsThe Company was growing really fast.

ConsCompany was fraught with scandal the whole time I worked there- an then bought out by a Canadian Bank- TD.

Advice to Senior ManagementI hope the IT systems are integrated & improved by now.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Long hours and low pay

Teller (Current Employee)

ProsThey'll take you with no experience, and even part-timers get full access to benefits. If you're still in school, they're open so much you can easily get the hours you need. If the team is good, it can be a lot of fun.

ConsThe hours are long and while they're supposed to rotate weekends, not all branches do. The pay is very low considering how awful some of their hours are and I expect them to lose a lot of really talented people when the economy improves.

I enjoy driving !

Courier (Current Employee) Lewiston, ME (US)

ProsThis is a bank that's not likely to go out of business.
    There are benefits too.

ConsThe pay is quite low.
    Too many coworkers are unfriendly.
    Some can't even say "Good Morning."

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be nice to learn how to advance
    into something that pays more and yet is happy enough.

There also needs to be less of an atmosphere of
    "This idea is no good, because it isn't MY(!) idea."

Great corporate communications, branch level management needs more!

Teller (Current Employee) New Castle, DE (US)

ProsGreat way for a young person to get involved with the banking industry, no experience necessary. Also great growth potential, given that you are driven and take ownership to learn and advance.

ConsPoor management at the branch level left employees unengaged and unenthusiastic for their positions. They often pushed back on learning opportunities I tried to take advantage of and when I finally cross-trained to become a CSR they restricted me from transitioning to the floor. Also, little to no pay increases for new skills acquired.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile the corporate communications and employee relations were fantastic, there is a conflicting message from branch management. No matter what communications programs you have in place, managers are ultimately the best way to reach employees are your strongest messenger!

Rewarding but stunted

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) Chatham, NJ (US)

ProsJob security, great staff, good bosses, improving IT and organizational enhancements

ConsLimited mobility into certain areas, unreal expectations within a 40 hour work week, little input taken from field employees for audit and procedural improvement via TQM.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the people on the front lines. They know how it is. When looking to improve operations, don't cut corners and listen to your customers.

Friendly environment with lots of room for growth

CCSC Intern (Former Employee) Markham, ON (Canada)

ProsAdvancement is encouraged and supported. Everyone was very friendly and welcoming.
    Wide variety of people with many different backgrounds, good base beginner job.

ConsIt was a bit boring, I did not feel as if I was challenged enough.
    Could have used more of my time contributing to the success.

Advice to Senior ManagementI was very pleased with the upper management

Business Analyst

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

Prosflexible hours
    room to grow
    Good benefits package

Consmaintaining statistics
    require more work from home opportunities

VP Senior Branch Manager

Vice President Senior Branch Manager (Current Employee)

ProsBefore TD bought Commerce Bank, it was great! We were all about the customer and retaining them. Building great relationships.

ConsOnce TD took over, they said nothing would change - well it did and fast. The conversion was a nightmare. The pushed and pushed employees to sell products, everything was a number. Then they started incentives for sales, which were not worth it, upper management repeatedly threatened your job, then it got to the point where they started firing staff, even long time good staff. This is being done because of the "numbers" game. The less people in the branches the more incentive money middle management gets! So they don't care that branches are short handed.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't think senior management is getting the message from middle management about the branch moral. They continually take "the temperature" of branches and ask for input, however, nothing is done.

"

Worked for TD Commerce Bank? Contribute to the Community!