TJX Companies

TJX Companies Reviews

Updated Apr 21, 2014

TJX Companies President, CEO, and Director Carol M. Meyrowitz

Carol M. Meyrowitz

Pros:
  • "An honest people place with a real work - life balance not just lip service"
    in 25 reviews
  • "Good benefits, Have an open door policy that is worth utilizing"
    in 13 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper management is always changing the methods of operation to try some new scheme"
    in 15 reviews
  • "They don't value temps and it takes time to become a full time employee"
    in 14 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great company

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at TJX Companies full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe people and the culture are what separate this organization from others. Although large it still has a small feeling to it.

ConsThe salary was on the low end? The benefits are great but because of the high cost of living in the area the salary was low.

Minimum

Associate (Current Employee)
Portland, OR (US)

I have been working at TJX Companies part-time for less than a year

ProsGreat co-workers who like to make the best of the situation. Management provides great incentives for all associates.

ConsNot enough hours to obtain enough money to rent apartment. Scheduling manager needs more training.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more hours to the people who would like to work more hours

Great company with a tried and true business model

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at TJX Companies full-time for more than 10 years

ProsVery successful relationship-oriented company that values employee contributions; business model is rock solid yet company is constantly looking for ways to keep innovative and in remain a growth mode; diligence, effort and longevity is appreciated; people are passionate about their work and the business

ConsDue to perpetual success decisions tend to be made slowly; new ideas take time to hold; often good talent is lost due to the extended amount of time it takes to build trust

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to respect and value the contributions of tenured employees yet become more open to considering diversity of though with newer employees

Great company

Financial Analyst (Current Employee)
Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at TJX Companies full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat benefits with the company in the Diatributiion centers.

ConsNone that I know of

The job is not what I was told it would be - it is soul crushing

Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at TJX Companies part-time

ProsSmall discount, less than most retailers

ConsScheduling, being forced to sell their credit card to people who can't afford it, no one seems to know the answers to questions "go ask Joe", "go ask Ann", until you are run in circles and get no answer. I was told that there would be flexibility in scheduling when hired, and after I started working was told "that's mainly for students". No orientation, no training. Everything I have learned has been by word of mouth. And now they are trying to get everyone to sign their arbitration agreement. Shameful.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive some incentive to associates other than free crappy food in the break room. Clean up the stores, they are filthy. Give associates the basic tools they need; scotch tape, hand sanitizer, equipment that works.

Jobs advertised on TJX website should be offered to current employees.

A terrible company for a grown person to work for any length of time.

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at TJX Companies full-time for more than 10 years

ProsEasy to get a few extra hours, but scheduling is impossible. About the only good thing is that you get a discount for their goods.

ConsThis is a terrible place to work. Management treats of the employees only as another class of goods to be dealt with as needed. Life at the corporate level may be great, but at the retail level it is impossible. Benefits are always getting worse. Stay long enough and they will stop giving you raises, telling you that you have hit the ceiling regardless of how high your reviews may be. Their newest tricks are two: first they are trying to get all employees to sign binding arbitration agreements waiving the employees rights to sue the company for their many abuses. You would no longer be able to sue for back wages, discrimination or poor working conditions. The company has been killed by successful suits in the past and they do not want to be forced to pay for their own misdeeds! Second, in some districts they are trying to force employees to not take vacations during the summer. Workers with families are getting squeezed here more than ever.

Look at their poor 401(k) plan. Their level of matching and contributions is laughable for such a large and profitable corporation. Then they send you quarterly statements showing you where you may be at retirement, but these projections are based upon almost impossible criteria and have almost zero chance of being reached. Smoke and mirrors my friends, they make everything look good with smoke and mirrors.

Bottom line, unless you are on the fast track to corporate, steer clear of this place. it will eat you up and you will have nothing to show for it.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange your ways and fast. The unions will be at the door soon and you will lose the ability to heard the sheep about. After losing that sit against your assistant managers, they too may form a union. The funny thing is that the staff actually wants to work hard but can not. The company does not give any bonus money to staff below assistant managers. Why should they work to improve anything when they get no benefit from it.

Horrible Place to work, especially for minority males

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Flowood, MS (US)

I worked at TJX Companies full-time for less than a year

Prosseeing different merchandise every week and being able to get it a decent price. Weekly drawings for gift cards.

ConsThe PAY, is shameful. I was so embarrassed I never told anyone what I was making and had to get a side job not for extra money but to keep my lights on and I was considered full time there. I was told there would be room to advance and that was not true at all. The managers were very nice but not really sure what they were doing. Sometimes they would call other stores to ask questions for things that should have know the answers for. I was shocked after speaking with a person from a store in Tennessee about getting promoted. They told me that was they spoke to the regional manager about getting promoted he said he didn't like putting new managers in new stores and that he should read a management self help book. That seemed odd because he was a college graduate with a degree in business and had been working for the company sometime. But when speaking to an assistant manager at my store I had found out they had worked for the company not even a year and had graduated from culinary school. And she was a first time manager in a new store.

The upper management really needs to look into issues like this because upon asking other minority males I have heard very similar stories. Also I had only met one minority store manager while I was there.

Advice to Senior ManagementAsk store employees what is really going on in your store and pay them a salary in which they are able to live off of. It should not be a choice to pay half on your lights or half on your gas when you are considered full time.

Valuable work experience to be gained, but check your ambition at the door.

Design Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at TJX Companies full-time for more than 5 years

ProsOpportunities for foreign travel. Great experience working with overseas agents. Opportunity to design and develop product in the Metro Boston area, which is hard to find.

ConsNot much room for advancement within Product Development. Much patience needed in dealing with multiple management teams. Poor morale is commonplace.

Advice to Senior ManagementCultivate your team members so you can promote from within. Listen to your team members. They know more than you think.

Overall, good company

I have been working at TJX Companies

ProsBenefits and opportunities for advancement

ConsHours, they will just place you in any store within a 50 mile radius

Great Corporation with a Passion for Innovation

Framingham, MA (US)

I have been working at TJX Companies full-time for more than a year

ProsOften promote within. Great at acknowledging hard work. Competitive pay. Good benefits, Have an open door policy that is worth utilizing.

ConsContractors are often treated like third class citizens. They can not go to department or corporate meetings and they rarely receive raises. I notice it even as a full time employee and find it bothersome. I wish they would make long term contractors permanent more often.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe better to contractors, they are hard working employees too. It's unsettling for them and for the full timers.

Worked for TJX Companies? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at TJX Companies reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for TJX Companies CEO Carol M. Meyrowitz. All 315 reviews are posted anonymously by TJX Companies employees.